Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

I've been testing his CLEAN hit properties... So far I've found these...

6B+K on CLEAN hit gives you +8 dmg (counter hit raises chance)

6[B+K] on CLEAN hit gives you +11 dmg (counter hit raises chance)

63214B+G on JF and CLEAN hit gives you +10 and +10 dmg (doing JF raises chance)

2~8B+G on JF and CLEAN hit gives you +10 and +22 dmg (doing JF raises chance)

2~8B+G (post 22B~BE) on JF and CLEAN hit gives you +7 and +17 dmg (doing JF raises chance)

66B on CLEAN hit gives you +10 dmg (counter hit raises chance)

Srayer you salty dog how are you?

I can't say enough how much I enjoy this game, (specifically the online play as I don't have that many people to play in my immediate area) how're you liking it?

I'm doing pretty well, though maybe not as salty as before, haha. Also, I don't have as much time to game as when I was a kid, but I'm trying to put in the hours. So far I'm really liking the game. This is the first SC since part 2 that I've been able to say that. I'm feeling that old excitement again.

This means that if you have either side to the edge of the ring all you have to do is land the Command Throw, 88_22 in the direction away from the edge, use half a bar (and look like you know your shit by using a BE -impress the noobs!), grab the opponents bitch ass as they fly up in the air wetting themselves because they know what's coming, and BAM, ring out.

This type of ring control is what makes the world go round people!

Yeah, this makes Astaroth's RO game even more scary. He's always had mid-and-long-range RO attacks on either side of the ring (44A, 3KA, A+B, etc.) but not so much up close. This throw RO game changes that. It also makes his back-to-the-edge position more powerful, since the fear of a 63214A+G[BE] makes for good 63214B+G mixups. Of course, back-to-the-edge throws are quite risky...

Traditionally, I found facing the edge to be the most powerful position, but with the reduced RO potential of bullrush, I find myself wanting to be on the left or right side now. Between the RO attacks and 63214B+G RO, they're powerful positions indeed. And if you can't manage the ringout, you'll be driving them slowly towards the corner which usually has wall combo potential.

Learn to love iFC 3K. The ringout game is essentially unchanged thanks to that. Also, FU Mike. Also also, I've lived out here for 6 years and still can't really say I know Srayer. Hope to see you at some gatherings and tournaments to change that.

Also, FU Mike.

NO U

I'm going to be setting up a wired connection with my PS3 soon and the shoddy Wireless I'm using will be a thing of the past! We might have an actual 3-4 bar now when we play in the future.

I'm doing pretty well, though maybe not as salty as before, haha. Also, I don't have as much time to game as when I was a kid, but I'm trying to put in the hours. So far I'm really liking the game. This is the first SC since part 2 that I've been able to say that. I'm feeling that old excitement again.

The game's good and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Hope to see your name in some tournament results in the future though, as always, California is pretty fierce when it comes to competition so be ready for a challenge. The game seems slimmed down overall with the loss of some mostly superfluous moves however the addition of JG, BEs, and CEs make for interesting dynamics that can fill in the gaps and keep us all comin' back for more.

Hahaha, Zig, long time no see. Astaroth is like a campfire straight out of the zone. It brings us together to trade stories and drink vodka.

I'm down in Florida now, but yes it's me. How've you been? Keepin' up with SCV and all its new things (and people) to play with?

So... I'm kind of a scrub to Soul Calibur V and the whole series in general. I'm still in the "Mash what looks like good attacks" category.

I'll get straight to the point.

In the neutral game, what are Astaroth's to-go attacks?

What's generally Astaroth's gameplay? Heard it's just varying between mid-attacks and grabs. I see a lot of mention of crouch throwing, and I never use those.

I'll mostly stalk these boards rather than pestering you guys with beginner questions, but I need a start somewhere. My roommate keeps bodying me with Nightmare and it's kind of annoying.

Does asta's CE have ANY legitimate use?

So far I have the following downsides-
Telegraphed making it worthless as anything but a punish.
Next to no damage, and it seems the 88B followup isn't even certain.
Asta gets more damage off his other command throws, especially if he spends 1 bar on them.

Only upside seems to be that it's unbreakable.
Is there some followup besides 88B that I don't know that makes this not a giant waste of meter? Or does it set up some great oki game with 88B/11A?

As far as i can tell it's not very good, other then the guarnteed damage and RO potential on the 22B follow up.

It is however good online because once it comes out you can't duck it because of the lag.

As far as i can tell it's not very good, other then the guarnteed damage and RO potential on the 22B follow up.

It is however good online because once it comes out you can't duck it because of the lag.

Someone posted that the game disables crouching during frames 22-26 of his CE. It's not lag.

Does asta's CE have ANY legitimate use?

So far I have the following downsides-
Telegraphed making it worthless as anything but a punish.
Next to no damage, and it seems the 88B followup isn't even certain.
Asta gets more damage off his other command throws, especially if he spends 1 bar on them.

Only upside seems to be that it's unbreakable.
Is there some followup besides 88B that I don't know that makes this not a giant waste of meter? Or does it set up some great oki game with 88B/11A?
The best use for it has to be Post-GI. It's guaranteed after. Also, 22_88B is a guaranteed hit after his CE.

Yeah I only have success with it post-GI, otherwise it's best to use meter for BE attacks.

that was actually my first post on the forums, it took me ages to find a SC forum, all the old ones seem to be gone.

I'm calling 66K~BE Asta's new CE... His current CE will eventually become worthless outside of post-GI once people get used to seeing the white flash on his feet...

Asta is weak against pressure in SC5 due to GI costing meter... So now we should read the opponent's habits of using their moves to pressure us... Any predicted AA/BBs can be countered by 66K~BE and punished for a 50% combo... Any slower moves or moves with slight bad recovery that Astaroth can't punish otherwise can also be punished with this... The initial start-up isn't as good as Nightmare's A+B but what he gets from it is amazing... Imagine landing this near a wall and having 1/2 more meter left... You'll just spend "1" whole meter to do 150+ damage... I'm going home and disecting this move by the frame and will post up exactly what it can be used for...

i'm sorry to be a noob here but i didn't play sc4 at all, what combo can asta land from 66k BE?.

Back