Becoming a Better Player

BatousaiNori

[10] Knight
I saw some thread the other day about somebody trying to gather other people who weren't that good, like him. I thought to myself "I don't see a general thread here for how to improve. I'm gonna be THAT guy and create one".

Every top player has a formula that works for them. There are rarely 2 people that play exactly alike. I'll pretty much start it off by saying what has worked for me, and what hasn't. If you ask anybody that knows me since the beginning of part 2, and has played me recently, they can feel free to reply here and bust my balls. I consider myself a top player, and I love to teach. I especially love seeing old and new players alike who love to learn. Let's be honest, as much as everybody flames each other here, the people that post here at least once a week, have a strong interest in this game. This thread will be a short rant from me, by try to connect the dots to see what I call my "evolution". Each game, I learned something that changed my playstyle and skill level dramatically.

I first started off in SC2 cocky as hell. I was beating my friends at the game, and I was a straight up masher w/NM. I thought 66B was broken, and was the best move ever. I had never entered tournaments before. I didn't know what broken meant, top tier, nothing. I found the SA thread and called out everybody, saying they were trash and I was better. You can safely assume I got my ass reamed and my pride hurt more than the losses. So from there, I was so passionate about getting better, I eventually stuck with Cervantes cause I was so impressed with DevilJim (very well known Tekken player), Super Nacho (old school TTT vets should know him) and watching vids of FetZ. I thought "someday, that's gonna be me". From there, this guy named "Zor" (Houston TX player, old school SC2 Ivy, oh and 1 small tidbit: Was at SC2 Nationals) had an amazing step w/Ivy. I then remember FetZ stepping that much and thinking "fuck, step 3B looks great". That's when I started whoring step (anybody that knows me again, knows I love to step and punish). Then this guy from Oklahoma comes down to TX, some guy nobody in TX heard of named "BrianHatesU". He had one of the most flashy, amazing Nightmares I've ever seen in part 2. He also played Cervantes. He stood by my house 1 weekend for a tournament (anybody remember that scam VGames?) and taught me I can do iBT faster w/Cervantes. I honestly believe it did instant BT faster than anybody in part 2 w/the pirate (hey, obviously I can't go back and time and prove myself right/wrong).

I remember going to Evo and playing SowNemesis and us having a lot of Cervy mirror matches, and damn were they fun. I even made a video of how fast I can do the iBT (1A+B, G right away, you can get sick shit but that's another topic).

Part 3 comes along and of course, my boner can't get any bigger that I want to prove myself. I constantly played w/Blaze (I'll always say, and many people who played Part 3 will say, that Blaze had the best Sophie in the nation). He always would poke, make you whiff and nail you. I took that into my game also. Anybody that misses a move in front of you, light them up. I played SC3, but I hated it. I'm a sucker, I'll always play no matter how bad the game is, I'll admit it. From part 3 until part 4, all I did was play Madden. That seemed to have increased my reaction time, cause I almost never get hit by lows that seem to hit lots of other people (pretty much any low Yoshi throws out, I usually block on reaction).

If you're completely lost at my point of this story, here it is: Do not ever, EVER be ashamed to ask for help. If you are like me a few years ago, and you feel stuck and you'll never get better, immediately stop that thinking. It is critical you have the following ready tournament time:

-Mixup offense
-Defense
-Confidence
-Spacing

Don't be repetitive on offense. Smart players will eat you alive. Don't rely on gimmicks, rely on 50/50s. Don't pick a char just because somebody isn't familiar w/her/him. Make people play YOUR game and I guarantee victory.

You can have the greatest offense in the world, if you can't break throws on reaction and if you duck too much and people know it, you'll die. I don't try to duck that much. Mitsu makes me duck, I won't lie. I can't see 2k, B on reaction, just can't. Yoshi, I don't duck. Lizardman, I don't duck. Unless I'm sure somebody is gonna throw me to death, then ok, but that's a risk that's on you.

Confidence is important. If you don't walk into the tournament thinking you're the baddest motherfucker alive, you won't win. Don't go in and get star struck. In other words, if you see a top player, you don't have to pull out a condom and drop your pants when he comes by you, say what's up and treat that player like everybody else, treat them like a person w/respect. Come tournament time, if you put them on a pedestal, I promise you will lose cause they are in your head already before you press start. I can speak from experience, trust me.

Spacing is EXTREMELY important. I get very sad when I see tourney vids left and right of people just throwing out moves hoping they will hit. Watch an old Tekken Tag Tournament video and you won't see that. If somebody completely misses BB in front of you, LIGHT THEM UP. Cervy does iGDR, Cass does 3B, Sophie does 44B, LM gets 3B, etc.

I have asked A LOT from JOP and BrianHatesU in part 4. If it weren't for them, I would be playing Cass (I played Cass mostly in part 3 cause I was losing w/Cervantes against really good players. I lost my confidence and my reaction time wasn't great). They put the confidence back in me, and now I'm extremely consistent in my city. Some players have natural talent and don't need anybodys help. I hate you people, you suck. I know for a fact there are more players out there who struggled like I did, and hopefully they became very good like I have. If you are getting destroyed, ask what you are doing wrong. 99% of the time, your friend/opponent will tell you (make sure it's AFTER the tourney, it's not cool to talk during).

Sorry for the rant, just trying to help as many people as I can. And before you reply, yes, I'm extremely confident in myself and dammit, you all should be too.

Confidence is important. If you don't walk into the tournament thinking you're the baddest motherfucker alive, you won't win. Don't go in and get star struck. In other words, if you see a top player, you don't have to pull out a condom and drop your pants when he comes by you, say what's up and treat that player like everybody else, treat them like a person w/respect. Come tournament time, if you put them on a pedestal, I promise you will lose cause they are in your head already before you press start. I can speak from experience, trust me.
lulz Haha, j/k.

Great post dude. I'll be at the tourney tomorrow, and it'll be interesting to see you block all of Yoshi's lows like you say you do. I know you guys in SA get a lot of experience playng with each other, so it'll be interesting to see how all of y'all have improved.

Thats all Nori talks about is blocking Yoshi lows :) lol big whoop what if you never use them? not like he has to.... Anyways this thread is funny... I cant really believe who started it but He says he likes to teach so teach away! and what CNP highlighted is just FUNNY haha!

good post dude! that really helped me learning that i can actually ask my opponents what i should do better during a match lol

Thanks for the info. I'm the guy that made that thread by the way. I don't think i'll ever be in tournaments but i'll still take what you say to heart and do what i can. Never thought about what kind of punishment can be delivered from crouching too much. I exclusively choose crouch over grab-break but, maybe i should change that.

lulz Haha, j/k.

Great post dude. I'll be at the tourney tomorrow, and it'll be interesting to see you block all of Yoshi's lows like you say you do. I know you guys in SA get a lot of experience playng with each other, so it'll be interesting to see how all of y'all have improved.
I don't recommend using Yoshi against me, but hey, you can find out the hard way. It's not amazing to see his lows and block them, they really aren't THAT fast.

Overall, I'm just trying to get people to understand anything is possible. You just have to find your weakness and improve it. Ask the people you play on a regular basis for help and I can almost guarantee they will help you.

RedJin: Hey dude, if you can win w/Yoshi w/out ever going low and just relying on throws, props to you

All the info you posted is awesome.
This should be awesome help for a lot of people.

The only reason why I'm not sticking this up is because outside of the helpful info, the rest was
:fap:fap:fap:fap:fap:fap:fap:fap:fap:fap:
Damn, I wish we had that smiley.

I'll be the first to say that in addition, make sure people know they have to travel outside of their state for competition to actually say they believe they're a top player. There's a big reason why LinkRkc is the big dog in TX: He's the only one who traveled outside it for SC3.

KDZ: Even before he travelled, he was a beast in part 2. He's one of those people who has natural talent. Some top players thought he was one of the overall best in part 2 and 3.

Overall, yes, the traveling is important. Especially so you know the char in and out. When I fought Link, I didn't have much of a clue how to attack Ivy and when, so I got picked apart. If you don't have a player around you who plays that char, the LEAST you can do is put on training mode, edge master, and just study to see what you can interupt with w/move, what you can duck under and get a instant WS move, what you can jump over, what's safe, what isn't, etc. My own fault for not doing that w/Ivy.

Lot of good info here, although I tried to stay away from talking about myself when I wrote the sticky guide. Good to get a lot of different perspectives though.

Lot of good info here, although I tried to stay away from talking about myself when I wrote the sticky guide. Good to get a lot of different perspectives though.
I tried to make it as personal as possible, so hopefully somebody else will relate and not go down the LOOONNNGGG path that I took

nori is a bum... but what he says is true... i know i beat his head in enough during the earlier stages of his gaming life

Some players have natural talent and don't need anybodys help. I hate you people, you suck. I know for a fact there are more players out there who struggled like I did, and hopefully they became very good like I have.

LOLZ ^^

ok..thx for the post man...rare to see if someone goes out and tells honestly how or what he felt during his sc/beat em up gaming life "lolz" =)

Don't be repetitive on offense. Smart players will eat you alive. Don't rely on gimmicks, rely on 50/50s. Don't pick a char just because somebody isn't familiar w/her/him. Make people play YOUR game and I guarantee victory.

ah..good to hear that somebody say that finally >.< yeah ^^

ive never done a tourney but i consider my self a slightly above average player against people online

I've never played in a tourney either,so whenever I play SCIV I try to keep my ego in check so I don't get knocked down when I'm acting all big and tough.
So I just try to learn from loss's and not make a big fuss,whoever the character may be.

Nice post Nori, hope to see you back in NM at one of our big tournies down the road.

I guess just to add to it. I've wanted to be a good player since I got turned on to the competitive scene, but I live in a town with practically zero SC players. Our good players are an hour away, so I rarely see them. The distance, plus being a husband and father of two.

Anyway, I can't use that as an excuse. You want to be good, it's just like anything else, you gotta put in the time and effort. Use practice mode constructively. Find out what strings you and inturrupt with a hit, with a GI. Find out what's safe, what's not safe, for you, and for characters against you. Watch videos, pick up what works for some people, add your own flavor. Get an idea of what setups to look out for. I'm a basketball coach and a teacher of the game. If you want to be a good baller, even if you have natural talent, you have to develop it. Put time in the gym, do all the little things that make you fundamentally sound. And you have to have variety, don't just be a post player, don't just be a perimeter player, don't just go left, or just go right. Don't use the same moves, keep them on their toes. Are you going to square up and shoot, square and drive, fake the drive, fake the shot, etc. Just like it takes time in the gym, I think you need to put time either in practice mode, or with someone else willing to get better w/you.

Anyway, good stuff Nori. I'll never have the time or committment to become a better player, but I'll still keep playing and straddle that line of being better than your average joe player, but not good enough to beat people who know what they're doing.

Real life > SC4.

If you have the rare opportunity to turn real life into competitive SC4, well then it's only natural that you'll get better. Otherwise, things like being a dad and such will always be more important.

You know, if you have friends interested in gaming, you can get them into the game and try to make them better. There's a balance between scaring people off and keeping them interested in the game. Some of my friends don't mind losing all the time; they know that as I play my characters, they'll learn and eventually get better. Some of my friends hate losing, so I use that opportunity to play my shitty characters and they can win as I experiment. (I normally end up winning anyways because I find really good combos fairly quickly, and then use the rest of the match to practice execution.)

I also try to keep my ego in check, although it's hard when everyone looks up to you. Locally, I'm pretty much the best, and my opponents are slowly improving their skills in general. If I ever make it to a tournament, I'll be careful to make sure that I don't go around bragging, at least not until I prove myself.

My biggest fear is that at a tourney, everyone's going to be an asshole. It's my experience with my local Smash players; they're all pretty much fuckfaces, and set the standard for "tournament play" where I live. The few beginner events that I've run are all very simple, and I welcome players of all skill, whereas the Smash players "welcome players of all skill" so that they can shit on them endlessly.

My biggest fear is that at a tourney, everyone's going to be an asshole. It's my experience with my local Smash players; they're all pretty much fuckfaces, and set the standard for "tournament play" where I live. The few beginner events that I've run are all very simple, and I welcome players of all skill, whereas the Smash players "welcome players of all skill" so that they can shit on them endlessly.

I don't fully know why, but smash bros seem to have the largest set of immature players.

As for confidence. I try to keep it in the middle. Too confident and I may make careless mistakes.

Back