BlazBlue - GuiltyGear's next gen cousin

I've only seen Lambda and Tager mostly. I know why players pick them, of course, cause they're easy.

Tager is obviously because of the super with 50% health loss and Gadget Finger - which can be difficult to deal with online. And Lambda because players think she's at Nu level power with a bunch of new stuff.

Course, I can't win either; used to be able to win pretty well online against the more scrubby players not so much now. I think it's mostly lag. Takes forever to block, online and punishing crap is still really difficult.

I found some other stuff with Makoto last night after my post. You can do Makoto's BnB; 5B, 5CC, 6B-C, 214ACCC and you'll get 3k instead of 2.4-2.5k damage. I also found out that 214ACA will link to 5D and 2D.

Makoto has no aerial launchers and her only jump-canceled normals are 6A and 5CC. She can't dash cancel any of her normals or drives. Her air combos on a whole, are extremely difficult for me to do.

Since Makoto doesn't have that strong of a normal mix up game, she has to pressure with Asteroid Vision; which doesn't really work well against scrubs and mashers who don't block and just spam whatever they can. It makes it difficult for Makoto to get in and do damage. Luckily, her level 3 Impacts have a lot of range and power.

Some fun stuff with 2C is that it can Fatal Counter, but it can also cancel into 236236D and it will do 4.7k damage if you manage to land all 3 hits at level 3 charge. Fatal Counter 2C easily pushes this damage up to 5k. Not sure what else you can follow with 2C.

I haven't heard anything about what Valkenhayn will fight like, but I doubt he'll be Slayer-esque because Makoto seems to fill that spot and because none of the Blazblue characters have strong associations with the Guilty Gear cast - especially given their Drives. Still, I'd like to make Valkenhayn my main - provided he isn't too difficult to learn.

I'd just like to say that Makoto's 5A and 2A kick Bang's D attacks' asses! And, other than that, 5Cx2 comboing into 6A and back into 5C is fuckin' boss!
Think I'm actually starting to get comfortable with Makoto. Gotta react faster to when I'm doing somethings (in order to try resets, mixups, etc), but I'm already seeing the power and how far I have to go! =(

Other than that, I really need to learn to break throws. Whenever I see the exclamation point, I just pause and look at it. >_>

Okay, I take that back about Makoto's lack of launchers. Turns out you can use 6C and 2C as launchers for air combos, the trick, however, is using Asteroid Vision B and 5/2D respectively.

Basically, any combo that ends with 6C goes into 214B > j.C > j.B and more. Lots of creative stuff here. With 2C you can do 5D or 2D and go from there. Just remember that both Impacts require a level 3 hit.

Makoto's j.D recovers the fastest out of all her basic Impact Drives, so any air combos going from 214AD or 2D should get j.D in there first and then go from there.

Found a 3k combo from Makoto's throw. Do a forward throw near corner (not at corner) then 214ACD, 2D, j.D, dash, 5B, 6A, j.CC, 623CD. Gets you 3.2k

Looks like 214ACB has some possibilities for air combos as well, but I'll need some more time to check it out.

Of course, none of this matters online or when dealing with players who like to jab all day. So far, Makoto doesn't seem to have many answers or frame traps to beat out jabs. She's strictly close-quarters and jabs severely weaken any high damage combos, if not outright stop them due to recovery after a certain point. While leaving Makoto dead in the water this isn't new, and tends to happen to all characters.

You could also Use 3c then 2b, 6a for Makoto. Then air cancel into any air combo you like. Nice launch from a low.

So about 6c, 623b off the wall and not being able to land that. Turns out I can land that pretty easily against everybody, except Tsubaki and Noel. I was using them as my test dummies. Go figure. In any event I can't land it on them so easily. Noel is easier than Tsubu but that's not saying a lot. Tsubu has like a 1 in ten success rate. It's pathetic. Think it would be wisest to concoct a different combo finisher just for her. Pulled it off against a Ragna, a Makoto a Hakumen and a Tager today online though. Felt pretty nice. I only beat the Hakumen though. Cause he was terrible, just like me. Thinking of putting some match vids on youtube under the heading "worst bang in the universe". Speaking of Tager, how do I get in on him? Every time I run in I get thrown. And if I jump, I get grabbed out of the air. And what am I supposed to do about people jabbing all day?

I've been using her fireball type dealing to bait people into attacking. Lots of people try to attack once you start spamming it (blocking it eats one guard primer and eating it leads to a wall combo). Other than that, it really depends on the opponent, but 236A (with her lvl 3 D) and it's B and C version are pretty good. Also, if they're trying to space you out, I've been experimenting with her 5D (which is one of my primary tools against Tager), because she moves back initially, causing some stuff to whiff.

Jeez, Aksys must hate Canada or some shit. I just got my hands on a copy today.
Meh, probably gonna be scrubbing out with Tsubaki and Hakumen, I suck at 2-d fighters so far, lol.

You could also Use 3c then 2b, 6a for Makoto. Then air cancel into any air combo you like. Nice launch from a low.

So about 6c, 623b off the wall and not being able to land that. Turns out I can land that pretty easily against everybody, except Tsubaki and Noel. I was using them as my test dummies. Go figure. In any event I can't land it on them so easily. Noel is easier than Tsubu but that's not saying a lot. Tsubu has like a 1 in ten success rate. It's pathetic. Think it would be wisest to concoct a different combo finisher just for her. Pulled it off against a Ragna, a Makoto a Hakumen and a Tager today online though. Felt pretty nice. I only beat the Hakumen though. Cause he was terrible, just like me. Thinking of putting some match vids on youtube under the heading "worst bang in the universe". Speaking of Tager, how do I get in on him? Every time I run in I get thrown. And if I jump, I get grabbed out of the air. And what am I supposed to do about people jabbing all day?

I was unaware that Makoto has a 623B move, unless you're talking about a different character?

3C combos are pretty decent, but not excellent since the move telegraphs fiercely. Use 3C only for the opening invincibility frames on the first roll to get in and go from there. This is actually a good method for Makoto's problems getting in, but it's kinda gimmicky.

For some other fun stuff, 214CD cancels into 2D on level 3 Impact and into an air combo. 6C can cancel into a lot of things from counter hit (214ACD for example) and it can even go into 2D for more air combo goodness. Basically, it appears that while Makoto doesn't have a whole lot of jump-cancel/special cancel moves, she can cancel into her Drive from a lot of basic stuff.

Using her 5B, 5CC, into 5D (from corner), 2D, j.D, dash, 2B, 6A > air combo is one example. However, I've found that repeated uses of her Impact dramatically reduces the amount of damage you get from it. For example, if you just did 5D, 2D, j.D, 5D, 2D on a corner, you'd get only 1.5k damage. Basically, every hit halves the damage from a level 3 hit. So I've begun to wonder if there's a way where Makoto can still use her Drives, without having the nasty proration kicking in. And it turns out, only her basic Impacts are affected. So trying to find some creative uses to get into bigger combos without meter and without overusing Impacts. And I found the following...

2C, 236AD, 2B, 6A, j.C, j.B, dj.CC 623CD. Gets you quite a bit of damage.

Instead of j.D in some aerial combos from corners, you can use 5D instead. So something like 236AD into 2D can go into 5D instead of j.D and you can still get an air combo from it.

This basically led to me finding that a lot of Makoto's command Impacts can be canceled into her normal Impacts. Like the about 214CD into 2D. There's several moves out that lead to those cancels and it basically means that you could probably substitute commands for normal Drives in order to keep the damage up. So in other words, Makoto's Impacts are incredibly flexible.

For TiamatNM; a good ground based Jin combo is something like this: 2B, 5C, 3C, 2B, 5C, hj.2C hj.D. Leads to an interesting mix up. If you counter hit on 5C you can immediately follow up with 2C, 6C and go from there. In many cases, however, 2C > 6C follow ups can hamper the end damage so it is not always advised. Still, Jin's 2C is his fatal counter and on fatal counter, 2C to 6C is guaranteed.

And yes, Jin's ground combos are really weird and messy. Since Jin has to now rely on a lot on counter hits to get his combos to work, it's one of the reasons for his slightly lower tier status and popularity. He can still do the big damage; it's just very difficult now.

EDIT: Forgot to add one more thing about Makoto. I found another combo from her BnB stuff. IIRC I posted about 5B, 5CC, 6B-C into 214ACCC, right? Well, you can substitute 214ACCC for 5D and go into another combo there. From the corner, this can get pretty extreme and leads to something like 5k damage.

EDIT2: You know what? I'll just post the combo and variant I've found.

5B, 5CC, 6B-C, 5D, 2D, j.D, dash, 2B, 6A, j.CC, 623CD = 4k-ish damage
5B, 5CC, 6B-C, 5D, 2D, 632146D = 3.8k-ish damage
5B, 5CC, 6B-C, 5D, 2D, 236236D = 4.7k damage
5B, 5CC, 6B-C, 5D, 2D, j.D, dash, 236236D = 5k-ish damage at level 3 charges on each hit. Might be able to fit 2B and 6A in the combo before 236236D.

214CD, 2D, j.D, dash, 2B, 6A, j.CC, dj.CC, 623CD
214CD, 2D, j.D, dash, 236236D
214CD, 2D, 236236D or 632146D all work.

In the corner, 214AD, 5D works (really tight timing, though). Haven't figured any interesting combos from this yet. Maybe you guys can find some?

Oh.my.god. Really only play the computer because it's hard for me to find matches without lag, but I'm playing right now and my corner pressure kicks ASS!!!

I'd forgotten 8wr had a BBCS thread. I've been neglecting you.

Seeing that people are talking about my mak, I made this for you.

Yeah, I can't reliably do her space loop yet, so that isn't even a part of my game. >_>

Apologies I was updating on my shittiness so far with Bang. Hence the "shittiest bang in the universe" concept.

Ahh, if you're talking about Bang then and trying to get in on jabbers, try jabbing yourself. Bang now has a 5-frame jab (and now nearly everyone has one) and it leads to a number of variants that can go as high as 4k damage. In fact, a lot of early Bang scrubbiness follows spamming 5A as much as you can.

As far as getting in on Tager, you can air dash twice, so using that to your advantage to throw shurikens to get in would help. As far as trying to do something else, besides jabs (and stopping jabbers) generally, you should outrange them with a stronger attack. Or get in them with an attack that would evade the jabs. Some example would be Noel's 2D for crouching jabbers and 3C for standing jabs. For Bang, his 3C slide should get you under a standing jab and knock a fatal counter in there too. For anything else, though, I'm not certain as I don't play Bang.

Seeing that people are talking about my mak, I made this for you.

She's not your Makoto, she's the people's Makoto, duh.

At any rate, that's a nice combo video. It looks like you're using the parry loop there; I found that myself but I didn't really think it was all that interesting because of the extra work needed to get things off. I still don't think it's all that useful; Makoto can get a lot of damage out without the need to do a parry loop like that.

One of those combos, 236AD, 214CD, 2D, I recently found (as of last night) its pretty cool but I didn't use a super jump to get the air combo just a normal jump into it. So I think it can work either way, or just get a slightly lower damage output. Still it's a nice combo and shows that Makoto can get combos off from a full screen away. The problem with this combo, though, is that any projectile will stop 236AD from doing anything. So it's not an end-all, be-all, combo.

Ha, just found something interesting with Makoto!

If you do 5D you can cancel into 214CD and combo from there - anywhere on the screen.

Which basically means that the BnB combo of 5B, 5CC, 6B-C, 5D can lead to 214CD, 2D, j.D, dash, 2B, 6A > Air Combo. Really cool.

Makoto is so beautiful when she has her opponent in the corner. ;-;
====== DOUBLE POST AUTO-MERGE ======
Damn! People are hilarious sometimes. I was just playing online and there some some super scrubby level 29 Tager (deathclaw321, I think his name was) who, before the match started, was like, "Makoto? She doesn't stand a chance against Tager." So, the first match was as seamless as an online match could be and I dominated him with him only taking around 25 percent of my health (keep in mind, it's unbelievably hard to get lvl 3 d's with Makoto for me in any type of lag) and I've only learned some spacing technique's vs. Tager with her through the Hell mode in score attack (and it was unbelievably easy to bait sledges from him. >_>).

So, second round comes about and the quality of the match degrades to the point where it seems like the game is going in slow motion! He wins the next round easily (it was to the point that he'd Gadget Finger me and I'd try my DP because he's scrubby and would only do the Tager Buster thing and my DP wouldn't even come out!) Next match comes around and the slow motion goes away but it still feels like I'm underwater. So, I'm kicking his ass...well...not really, as I'm spacing and baiting him pretty well, but any time I go to do a combo, it drops at certain points and he's putting in 360s the whole match, it seems!

Either way, just found it completely hilarious how this guy was talking shit the whole time (Told me I was lucky the first round after he does Tager's special buster from half screen while I'm neutral!) and then the lag came out of nowhere. I'm starting to think most of these Tager players are random scrubs from SSF4 (would explain why they love doing his super invincibility frame special thing so much at the most predictable moments). XD

Hmm... I think Makoto has a bigger problem with the top 3 and Hakumen than anything else...

In other news.

tcWCe.jpg

Valkenhayn announced!

As you can see in the picture, he's fighting Hazama and has a meter on the bottom of his side of the screen with icon next to it. Looks like it might be a "Fever Mode" for his Wolf form maybe?

Parry loop is CRAZY useful, I don't know why you think it isn't, but getting 5k damage off every hit is great. Mak's normal midscreens do around 2-3.

Also- as far as matchups go, mak vs tager is just about as good as anyone else vs tager. Whoever gets the offensive first is generally going to keep momentum going and win.

Back