Conflict: Changing Too Much vs. Changing Too Little

Which do you think is worse for a series?

• Total voters
There are two frames of invulnerability during the last two frames before impact of the super. You can frame trap all supers. Yolo supers are called yolo for a reason. All of them can be launched on block except Viola and Devil Jin. A knowledgeable player can beat them out before their impact for some damage on top of the opponent wasting their valuable meter. They also can no longer catch step due to a step guard glitch, so they're most likely even riskier than the last time you played the game.

Supers also feel satisfying to hit and are entertaining to watch. I love dropping chairs on dudes.
Thanks party wolf. And yes guys, I have interrupted CE before and that's why I never do CE unless it's in a combo.

I must apologize for my tone the other night though. Stressed from studying for inorganic chemistry midterm on Wednesday. And I drove the thread off topic regarding CE.
(>O-O)

TomBrady.jpg
This is clearly a bug
Before the step guard glitch, Maxi could literally do 1K into super and the only thing Xiba could do was block in order to not get hit. Fun. Times.

I have my own prejudices with "change" if the meaning of it is just the umbrella for nullifying familiar elements of a series to the whim of one perspective bias that would turn the entire game into something completely different by overlapping or reducing what it already did well before the unneeded overhaul like with the direction with SC5. The terrible story, and an insulting SF imitation.

Oh god, hehe. There are so many things I don't even know where to begin.

Things that pissed me off about sc5:

1) Unshake-able stuns. I'm very happy to see them go away.

2) Slow-paced. Sc5 was by far the slowest SC EVER.

3) A lot more unsafe moves in scV. All this does is just limit your viable options.

4) Hilde lost doom combos

5) Amy. Viola. 'Nuff said

6) Sophitia's dead

7) The fact that you couldn't step shit safe.

8) The announcer in 5 sounds corny as fuck

9) CE SUCKED

10) Ivy was stupid. I think IV is the only game where she isn't borderline broken.

Even though sc5 wasn't "technically" the worst game, it is by far my least favorite SC EVER.

I can't believe how much of a street fighter clone SCV is.

Especially with its fireballs and dps, FADC, option selects...

SCV does have those things right?
It also has cross ups, specials, normals that cancel into other moves, specials that can't be buffered out of block, Untechable throws, its a clone I tell yah. Really though, does anyone that says it's an SF clone have any clue how SF even works?

I'm not sure where SCV falls into the statistic of games that were hurt or helped by somewhat radical changes or departures from the series established formula, but i think it's more of a case of the Third Strike variety. As far as i know other SF games have had a lot of changes and adjustments to the gameplay from just about every major release without any issue, however in Third Strike's case it was the largely different cast of characters with few returning veterans that caused the most harm.

Kind of like what happened in SC's case. I think most of the gameplay changes could have been pulled off just fine without it causing any problems maybe even breathe new life into the series, but what really mattered was the roster. What alienated fans for both examples was the characters, not necessarily the different gameplay and mechanics.

Change can be good if the direction is good and all the pieces are in place to create a immersive game. I'm not so sure having the two main characters in the story was the right move, or having copy/paste characters with tweaks. Ultimately, the direction they chose was difficult. And I'm not so sure any team but the team that was there in the beginning up to III can do it.

To me this series peaked a long time ago, with the first SC game and Soul Calibur II. After that, it's hard to create a masterpiece. III was awesome too, but nothing that was ahead of its time. It was enjoyable, but expected.

For them to outdo themselves again, they really need to be perfect in every area. Gameplay must be superb, storymode with each character has to be exciting and detailed, character creation must push boundaries and there must be a great deal of enjoyable modes. Something is always lacking in each game, and because of that actually, they have the potential to create another classic.

The sales weren't really hurt. It outsold TTT2. It just got bad reviews.

Obviously I wasn't comparing scv to tekken tag 2. I was comparing SCV to SC4, which has dramatically less sales. It's logical to assume that the direction of scv's changes directly led to the reduction in sales, regardless of what you or any other competitive player thinks of the game. The fact that I have to spell this out to you is stupid. You're trying to pull the straw man argument and it's not going to work.

Obviously I wasn't comparing scv to tekken tag 2. I was comparing SCV to SC4, which has dramatically less sales. It's logical to assume that the direction of scv's changes directly led to the reduction in sales, regardless of what you or any other competitive player thinks of the game. The fact that I have to spell this out to you is stupid. You're trying to pull the straw man argument and it's not going to work.
Well, looking up the sales figures... SCV managed around 2 million sales overall vs SCIV's 2.38. Truly, it got blown the fuck away by SCIV.

That aside, 3d fighters in general are in decline. Which is why I compared it to Tekken Tag 2 which is Namco's flagship fighter. That represents SCV's position in the contemporary 3d fighter market in better context than cherry picking a four year old game does.

Back