From SC2 to SCV - eek! (A few questions)

Bovrillor

[08] Mercenary
Just got SCV a week ago, haven't played much as I was waiting for my Fight Commander pad to show up - which it now has. My previous game of choice was SC2 on Gamecube, and I more or less skipped the games between as I really disliked various aspects of them.

Now I've made the leap, I have a few questions...

* Have A+K moves been ditched completely? I haven't found any yet and I'm not really one for reading move lists

* Ukemi - G+direction at the moment you hit the floor, is that right?

* Just Guard - this one is hurting my head. I was county champion at SC2 and suddenly I feel like a drunk baby when on defence. I gather that a single tap of the guard button is required, but I'm not so sure of the timing. Should I have pressed+released G before the attack strikes? How soon? Do experienced players use this as often as SC2's GIs or is blocking the new defence?

Hopefully once I've got to grips with the above, I'll be able to get back on form with Ivy&Taki... err Natsu (sigh). Man do I miss Ivy's stances.

1) As far as I know, at least Siegfried has his A+K moves from SC4. If you aren't really one for reading move lists... well... I can't really help you. There is a wiki tab up there that has all the information you'd ever need, though.

2) Ukemi - G+direction before you hit the floor. In SC4, hitting it the exact moment was a Just Ukemi.

3) There is some literature on it somewhere in the forums, but I believe you are supposed to hit G 4 frames before the opponent's attack hits. Simply tap it. It is a difficult thing for most casual gamers to do reliably, and will require patience and testing in Practice Mode.

1) As far as I know, at least Siegfried has his A+K moves from SC4. If you aren't really one for reading move lists... well... I can't really help you. There is a wiki tab up there that has all the information you'd ever need, though.

2) Ukemi - G+direction before you hit the floor. In SC4, hitting it the exact moment was a Just Ukemi.

3) There is some literature on it somewhere in the forums, but I believe you are supposed to hit G 4 frames before the opponent's attack hits. Simply tap it. It is a difficult thing for most casual gamers to do reliably, and will require patience and testing in Practice Mode.

I spent a while trawling the WIKI for A+K moves, but couldn't find any, even for Siegfried. Just a couple of aK or kA slides. My disdain for move lists isn't laziness, I find they kill the excitement of finding the moves for myself. Seems odd that there'd be a macro option for A+K when it's not used.

Got the Ukemi down now!

4 frames? Brutal. Can't see that being too reliable online, but knowing what to aim for is half the battle.

Thanks for the info, that should see me through the learning curve :)

Seems odd that there'd be a macro option for A+K when it's not used.
That's a really good point. Guess Project Soul might have had some ideas for A+K but left them out. I understand the decision for pad-players (like myself) since it's hard to A+K without button mapping (which might turn off some younger players who don't want to fiddle with controls).

That's a really good point. Guess Project Soul might have had some ideas for A+K but left them out. I understand the decision for pad-players (like myself) since it's hard to A+K without button mapping (which might turn off some younger players who don't want to fiddle with controls).

It also makes me wonder why they didn't swap G and B in the default config. If you do that, you can do all the combo presses with your thumb (throws being on L1/L2 already)

Yoshi still has his A+K moves.
Someone else just pointed this out to me :) I think they're the only A+K moves in the game - makes sense for them to be on an 'awkward' button combo, since they're kinda suicidal moves lol

To clarify on just guard, it works like this:

To perform a just guard, you must tap and release G within 4 frames. If you hold G for 5 frames and release, you will not perform a just guard. After releasing G, any attack that hits within the next 6 frames will be just guarded. Pressing G during this 6 frame window will cause you to guard an attack regularly. To safely just guard, tap and release G, then (as close as humanly possible) hold G as soon as the window closes (i.e. 6 frames after releasing G).

The timeline for the slowest possible just guard is: F0 press G, F1, F2, F4 release G, F5-11 any attack that impacts will be just guarded, F12 hold G to regularly block slow moves. For fastest possible it's F0 press G, F1 release G, F2-8 is the JG window, F9 hold G to block late attacks.

If it is a multi-hit string where each hit connects within 6 frames of the previous hit (such as Cervantes's WR A+B or Elysium's CE), it will automatically just guard all of these hits. You can only perform one just guard attempt every 29 frames (just below half a second), so mashing G will not help. To just guard a low attack from standing, input it like this: 2G~[2] (tap down + G, release G, continue holding down throughout).

Just guarding is best used against predictable strings, especially single-input ones that cannot be cancelled, such as Pyrrha's 66B brave edge. In this case, safely just guarding is not necessary, and it should basically work like this: block first hit of 66B BE, release, tap, and release G quickly, wait for JG flash, buffer an i17 or faster punish (66B BE is -17 on JG).

Someone else just pointed this out to me :) I think they're the only A+K moves in the game - makes sense for them to be on an 'awkward' button combo, since they're kinda suicidal moves lol

Not simple A+K! That Guard Impact move Yoshi has is quite nice and useful! It's a Gi with potential combo and/or extra damage. Also when people walk into you while doing the move it counts as a knock down. It's also leads to increases charges for his gamble move set Iron Fist Procession (more charges = better moves) which is also mapped to A+K. Trust me, I'm a rock.
http://8wayrun.com/threads/yoshimitsu-and-a-k.10979/

Back