.:. Gabriel’s CAS Cornucopia of Homages, Originals, Recolors, and 3Ps .:.

Thanks for the formula Gabe ! i'll give it a try (but as you'll see in my latest post entries, i am short on space, so i'll prolly need to ditch one of mine to make room for Liara, otherwise won't have any Liara Tali fights ;o)

Sorry for the long delay. I’ve been caught up in personal stuff. But I just prepared the next batch, so here goes. First up is a joke character, just adding because it’s among the last “homage” characters I’ll be including for a while.

Thumb SCV ETL 3.jpg

L (alias Ryuzaki)
  • Credit: Myself
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★
  • CAS Type: Homage
  • Source: Death Note (anime)
  • Style: Aeon
  • Brief biography: anonymous, socially inept, uber-genius adolescent detective, called in to catch the serial killer “Kira.” Likes sweets, hunches over a lot, rarely sleeps.
  • Creation notes: This was just a 2-second joke character, created because I’m re-watching Death Note. No special creation challenges, just gave him Aeon’s style so he’d hunch over and be carrying food (albeit not sweets). So why am I posting it? Eh, hoping it gets a laugh I guess.
>>>>> Open spoilers tab for pics! <<<<<
SCV L Ryuzaki 1.jpg
SCV L Ryuzaki 2.jpg
And for reference:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...jpg
801H052VZcC.jpg

Thumb SCV ETL 1.jpg

Tali’Zorah vas Normandy
  • Credit: Myself, with inspiration from VILARCANE
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★★
  • Source: Mass Effect (game series)
  • Style: Viola
  • Brief biography: Quarian genius mechanic. Daughter of an admiral. Becomes involved in Commander Shepard’s mission while on her traditional coming-of-age pilgrimage; discovers important information about the Geth, an AI race accidentally created by (and subsequently at war with) the Quarians. Weakened immune systems require her and all Quarians to wear special suits to survive. If she becomes Shepard’s love interest, she reveals a nervous, vulnerable side that is super cute. She has understandable prejudices against AIs.
  • Creation notes: Oof, this was another tough one. Unfortunately the Red Hood was the only hood with the correct shape, open neck, etc., but cannot be edited to change the lining color. I tried other hoods, but this one was just too close to pass up. I opted for the top pieces you see here because they match the horizontal torso belts on the real Tali; admittedly they bulk up her figure a little too much. There was no perfect arm equipment, so I opted to be a little loose with it and try to match the “cloth wrap” motif the original costume has. Speaking of which, emulating that cloth wrap feature through the hips and upper legs was only half-successful, IMHO. If you look at the details, they don’t work very well. However, ultimately I’m pretty happy because the immediate impression is absolutely “Tali” — the color blocking and basic features help to sell that appearance. The helmet is combination of a sphere, the Feathers of Strength, Earrings, and a lower face mask (the steel one). Pretty happy with that, at least. I’m very happy that I was able to get the gold neck and ring shapes on there with stickers. The scorpion greaves aren’t perfect, but they give the right shape and aren’t too distracting. Overall I think it all comes pretty close.
SCV Tali 5.jpg
SCV Tali 4.jpg
SCV Tali 1.jpg
SCV Tali 2.jpg
SCV Tali 3.jpg
And for reference:
mass_effect_2_tali_zorah_desktop_1680x1876_wallpaper-1065228.jpg
talime2suits.jpg

OK, now for the first original of this thread!
Thumb SCV ETL 2.jpg

Èrui El Éras
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★
  • CAS Type: Original
  • Style: Leixia
  • Brief biography: Exiled forest faerie prince. Proud and martial. Plans to reclaim his family court but needs the help of a human to do so. Why? I don’t know, I’m making this up as I go.
  • Creation notes: Pretty happy with the top half, didn’t really have a strong vision for the lower half. I left it pretty simple because I figured “faeries don’t wear shoes.”
  • Plan: gradient-tone the shoulder armor using Murasame’s technique.
SCV Erui El Eras 4.jpg
SCV Erui El Eras 3.jpg
SCV Erui El Eras 5.jpg
SCV Erui El Eras 2.jpg
SCV Erui El Eras 1.jpg

View attachment 14949
Tali’Zorah vas Normandy
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★★
  • Source: Mass Effect (game series)
  • Style: Viola
  • Brief biography: Quarian genius mechanic. Daughter of an admiral. Becomes involved in Commander Shepard’s mission while on her traditional coming-of-age pilgrimage; discovers important information about the Geth, an AI race accidentally created by (and subsequently at war with) the Quarians. Weakened immune systems require her and all Quarians to wear special suits to survive. If she becomes Shepard’s love interest, she reveals a nervous, vulnerable side that is super cute. She has understandable prejudices against AIs.
  • Creation notes: Oof, this was another tough one. Unfortunately the Red Hood was the only hood with the correct shape, open neck, etc., but cannot be edited to change the lining color. I tried other hoods, but this one was just too close to pass up. I opted for the top pieces you see here because they match the horizontal torso belts on the real Tali; admittedly they bulk up her figure a little too much. There was no perfect arm equipment, so I opted to be a little loose with it and try to match the “cloth wrap” motif the original costume has. Speaking of which, emulating that cloth wrap feature through the hips and upper legs was only half-successful, IMHO. If you look at the details, they don’t work very well. However, ultimately I’m pretty happy because the immediate impression is absolutely “Tali” — the color blocking and basic features help to sell that appearance. The helmet is combination of a sphere, the Feathers of Strength, Earrings, and a lower face mask (the steel one). Pretty happy with that, at least. I’m very happy that I was able to get the gold neck and ring shapes on there with stickers. The scorpion greaves aren’t perfect, but they give the right shape and aren’t too distracting. Overall I think it all comes pretty close.

Nice attempt, your helmet looks better than mine, but i like my body better...
Your attempt at mimicking all the details makes it look too much like a patchwork than a space suite. My take at the feet is more genuine, using the bicolored dark knight greaves...and i would have put Credit : Myself and some other guy starting with V, you know, mmmm ;o)

Nice attempt, your helmet looks better than mine, but i like my body better...
Your attempt at mimicking all the details makes it look too much like a patchwork than a space suite. My take at the feet is more genuine, using the bicolored dark knight greaves...and i would have put Credit : Myself and some other guy starting with V, you know, mmmm ;o)
  1. Tali review: thanks. Yeah, my goal was to try and copy as much of the color blocking and details as possible, and hope that the final result looked like Tali. That approach yields very different results from trying to make an artistic Tali re-interpretation that looks sleek and suitable for space opera. I personally prefer my version, recognizing that (like Thane, and indeed any attempt at slavish reproduction using SCV’s CAS editor) both the approach and result are inescapably flawed (but fun, IMHO). But I of course like your Tali as well.

On a separate but related note, upon reviewing your Tali I understand what you’re going for with the Dark Knight Greaves and the split toes, but I don’t necessarily agree that it’s more genuine — at least not overall. I chose the scorpion greaves because they created the right contour and proportions for the lower legs (from side view) and had the knee caps. To be perfectly honest I don’t think either selection is really great.
    _
  2. Credit: LOL, well, to be honest I made a deliberate attempt of not revisiting your Tali at all before attempting mine. I mean, I had seen it some time earlier, but the most I explicitly recalled was that you used a sphere for the helmet, and used a unique/creative approach for the outfit and colors. Nevertheless, I recognize that all art is subject to influence, and I did see your take on it beforehand, so I am amending the credit line as seems most appropriate to me.
Cheers, and thanks for the feedback, —G

Care to give me a minute? I'm trying to find my jaw that just dropped in the last five minutes or something.
LOL thanks, take all the time you need but then come back with constructive criticism, there’s always something to improve!

The fairy prince's sticker work is really impressive, really gives him the look of a Nature spirit.
I'm not particularly convinced by the shoulder pads though, they're too big and too dark which seems out of place on such a pale, almost luminescent character.

The fairy prince's sticker work is really impressive, really gives him the look of a Nature spirit.
I'm not particularly convinced by the shoulder pads though, they're too big and too dark which seems out of place on such a pale, almost luminescent character.
Yeah, the shoulder armor isn’t a perfect match (one wonders how they’re attached, for one). I chose to keep them because I love the color and contrast they have — in game, in motion, they’re really beautiful — and because they add a bit of detail and unique silhouette. I like to think of them as beetle carapaces, or leaves, or something else appropriate.

But again, I admit that they aren’t perfectly integrated into the rest of the character.

Since I've recently started spamming the pattern quite a lot, I'm wondering if you have tried using Basic Pattern 1 for some things? Try it and put it to maximum size on them. Then from there, try playing with gradients and hues, then finally adjust the size and angle again for the desired effects.

These pauldrons have great potential because of its layering and all, but unfortunately they only have one channel. However, with this trick, you can make it more versatile. Here are screenshots of 3 different ways to do it with these only using this pattern.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png

I think that due to the nature of Èrui El Éras' face with the multiple hues of green, red and beige, along with the markings, gradient tones could add to the design. You may then experiment the same trick with the horns to add more hue (even if the difference in color and shading is very subtle) for more depth.

Done! Thanks for suggesting. I'll just open my game for some screenshots because I also have other things about patterns that can be shared.

Keep up the good work here! If you decide edit him, I, for one, would love to see the changes.

Whew, Pocky Yoshi feels old and outdated when peeps set the bar higher. Maybe he should stick to 1p/2p edits.....*ahem* oh yeah and Pocky Yoshi likes your creations, Gabe.

Since I've recently started spamming the pattern quite a lot, I'm wondering if you have tried using Basic Pattern 1 for some things? Try it and put it to maximum size on them. Then from there, try playing with gradients and hues, then finally adjust the size and angle again for the desired effects.

These pauldrons have great potential because of its layering and all, but unfortunately they only have one channel. However, with this trick, you can make it more versatile. Here are screenshots of 3 different ways to do it with these only using this pattern.

I think that due to the nature of Èrui El Éras' face with the multiple hues of green, red and beige, along with the markings, gradient tones could add to the design. You may then experiment the same trick with the horns to add more hue (even if the difference in color and shading is very subtle) for more depth.

Now that IS interesting.... :)

Erui's face is absolutely stunning and his body art is nice. Regarding his shoulders if you want to make them look more like a part of his body a visual link between them and his torso could help. Sticker Motif 77 is the shiny embossed bird symbol and if you play around with it on his arms you should get a nice transition in terms of texture and colour. I'm not sure what your sticker count is (I can make out at least 3) but if you can spare the slots try it.

As for his lower half...I'm not sure. Maybe the furry hot pants coloured green with a little texture? The slit skirt or Pareo might also be worth a look. Or if you want to keep the trousers maybe a wings sticker coloured (again) green? I'm just not overly fond of that leaf pattern in general.

If you can get the rest of him up to the same standard as his face he'll be incredible. Keep at it.

I don't know how I haven't come across your creations before, your stuff is incredible. That original character is one of the best things I've ever seen made in CaS.

I don't know how I haven't come across your creations before

Probably because I was off of 8WR for years… in fact I sold my console a long time ago. So you would have had little reason to come across any of my posts unless you went digging.

Thanks for the kind words!

Back