Hate Speech: Extra Extra Credits

Like many of you heroes out there, I spent several hours last Friday watching the French play Soul Calibur 5. As the stream ended, I found myself reflecting on two major issues: first, a suffocating, heady mix of shame and loathing at having lost a beautiful day, and second, the traits that make games compelling for spectators.

In fairness, Friday's exhibition wasn't my first rodeo; I've waved a fond farewell to countless hours of my life as I watched them spiral away down the match video/tourney stream toilet, which makes sense within the context of Soul Calibur matches because I'm personally invested in the game. Then again, I've also found myself watching intently as people I don't know play games I've never touched, and I've loved every second of it. So what gives? How does a game become "good tv?"

It's a question of design. The right combination of aesthetics and mechanics can make a game almost as fun to watch as it is to play.

A recent episode of Extra Credits tackled this very issue, among others, in an attempt to break down the challenges facing competitive gaming as "sport." It's worth a watch, but for those of you without the time and inclination to do so, I'll summarize: one of the central points argued in the video is that game designers must take spectatorship into account if a game is to become competitively popular.

9PRWu.png
Curling has finally found the secret to good spectatorship, it seems.

The team behind Soul Calibur 5 is proving itself to be impressively savvy in this regard. The series has always had lush visuals and unique character design, but the addition of cinematic super moves--stolen ever-so-blatantly from Street Fighter 4--takes this visual appeal and gives it a huge injection of drama. The brief pause in the action combines with the violently zooming camera shifting to an exotic angle to let us know that things are about to get nasty. Moreover, that pause also gives us a split second of simply not knowing what will happen. Ivy's started up her CE --did Mitsurugi duck in time or is he about to take an unscheduled flight? All of this creates tension and excitement while providing a road map of sorts, unambiguously indicating to the viewer that he's witnessing a critical moment in the match.

SC5 has other elements which are good for spectators, too. Attacks look like they hurt, armor and clothing can be damaged, certain walls change dynamically by breaking or falling when a combatant is knocked into them, and players' health bars change color as their life approaches zero. These are subtle things, but together they operate along the same lines as the cinematic CEs to create a rich, tension-filled viewing experience that doesn't require expert-level knowledge to appreciate.

Binary Busting

Brace yourselves, kids--we're about to get heavy.

9xmAy.png
Does this picture really require explanation?

Extra Credits didn't stop at pointing out that designers need to take spectators into account. It goes a step further, outright stating that games should be designed for spectators instead of the hardcore player. There's an implicit argument in that sentiment, namely that system depth is inherently incompatible with spectator-oriented design. The view seems widely enough embraced, but it also strikes me as flawed. As we've seen, spectator-friendly elements can be either visual or part of a game's mechanics. The purely visual should have no real bearing on the depth of the game involved, while changes to a game's mechanics can serve to either increase or decrease depth. SC5's cinematic CEs once again provide an excellent example. They are special, situational tactics to which one gains access through appropriate management of the new meter mechanic. They're clearly styled with viewers in mind, but they just as clearly add extra factors to negotiate, thus deepening the gameplay experience.

Conversely, these design elements can add drama while detracting from a game's competitive balance. Take, for example, the dreaded "comeback mechanic." While not as egregious as Tekken 6's "Rage Mode", SC5's practice of giving a player with meter when he is one round away from losing is certainly problematic. Comeback mechanics absolutely add to a match's dramatic tension, but at the cost of essentially rewarding someone for taking an ass-beating, which undermines a game's consistency.

Even so, both the good and bad examples above affect the game's depth independently of how they affect how enjoyable it is to watch. Design teams have limited resources, so it's possible that time spent polishing a game for viewership might detract from time that could be spent deepening the system, but in that sense there's also a resource conflict between system depth and, say, sound design. At the end of the day it seems entirely possible to design a fighting game that is both rewarding to play and entertaining to watch, and I observe that Namco is attempting to do just that with Soul Calibur 5.

TMWGZ.png
Another of life's most important design decisions; a classic one.

Homework:
Go watch some of the archived videos from France's exhibition tournament (or all of 'em, why the hell not?) and think about what makes a game enjoyable to watch, then come tell me what you think. Also, use the comments to weigh in on whether you think games can be spectator-friendly while also retaining their depth. Was Extra Credits right? If so, who should game companies be designing for?

Love the curling reference. I also watched Extra Credits last week and agreed with the points that it made. I'll go into more detail in a bit.

Honestly, I found myself very bored with the stream... but it wasn't the game's fault. It was mostly the players. When it comes to fighting games, hell, all games in general; in order to be the best, you tend to have to start limiting yourself. Limit yourself to the point where you're not wasting movements, doing unsafe things and maximizing damage with consistent combos, etc... in other words: Spartan.

The French are the best at Soulcalibur right now. They dominate; and unfortunately, the high level of skill they exhibit has become extremely Spartanistic. In other words, as a spectator; I'm bored. The comeback mechanic in fighting games is hoping to inject hype into boring high level play and I'm hoping in the future high level play will be more hype as we all learn to embrace the new metering system.

I see where you're coming from, Jaxel. While the French stream was VERY limited in terms of what moves were used, etc, I think that may be the result of the game's newness. I was quite vocal with my frustration at having so few of Astaroth's tools on display, but at the same time I found myself oddly invested in the outcomes of the matches even without a material rooting interest. Am I utterly wrong in reacting that way?

Good stuff Hates. I missed the Extra credits vid and appriceate you bringing this to my attention. The stream imo was a test run to see if the viewers enjoyed watching the game (while SC4 was deamed incredibly boring by most viewers). I enjoyed watching persnally and I learnd a lot about the game. So far it has a thumbs up from me.

One thing I have to mention that might help with the Viewership, In MK9 and MVC3, whenever you do a combo you will see how much damage it did. In MK9 especially, its easy to understand since its gaged in %'s. Maybe adding this small mechanic will help with viewership.

look forward to the next article Hates.

One of the things that make high level SC matches partucillary fun to watch
are Guard Impacts/Just Guards. Most Fighting games lack visually attractive defensive systems, but that's certainly not the case in Sc, because there's almost always chance of an attack not to connect, making the players look more experienced and cool.

Other factor that make matches look awesome, are combos, specially tech traps, wall combos and long strings. They break the tension and make the character who performs them look like... you know, like... they got swag. Worth mentioning, are Siegfried's backturned-stance-based combos, Sophitia's wall combos, and Zasalamel's tech traps.

And of course, SC's artistic direction is superb. CaS characters, however, are another matter, and unless carefully made, can make the game look simply ugly.

I was both excited and bored watching the videos, though I'm not really sure how that works (I guess I picked Intelligent and Good Looking, lol, or maybe just the latter twice).

Anywho, that was an interesting read, and I agree that games (especially fighting games) should be made with viewers in mind. SCV does seem to be doing a good job of it, can't wait to try it myself.

Okay so I was watching some of the stream of French play in SC5 as well as some of the archived ones.

My honest judgement... just feels exactly the same as SC4. Rather than make me spectate more I rather get in and play the game. Eventually I feel sleepy watching those matches. The only time I feel awake is when I see my favorite character played in a proper way or any of my Canadian team in battle or some guy you hear from the internet that never steps into tournies but finally has.

The game that seems spectator friendly to me is the Dead Or Alive series. Simply put that this game has the best visuals compared to many fighting games on the market. How do I even begin... the level design was spectacular, the dynamic camera angles all of which according to Itagki, makes the other fighting games feel watered down.

Also I wanna note that in DOA 3 they have this AI battle where it's infinite life but to the point where it's spectating pleasant, whenever a character counters a character's move there's like a CU shot of two characters, one doing that counter move but in slow-motion. Totally dynamic.

Watching DOA is like watching a fighting movie almost. I also agree with Extra Credits on what they're saying but I may miss several points so I have to watch again.

They tended to use a lot of the same characters. Not that theres anything bad about that, it's just that I'd like to see more of Tira or Voldo. Theres plenty of Siegfried gameplay out.
I also agree with Jaxel that it was kinda boring because there weren't people just throwing out moves and acting all crazy. They are high level players and they know how to play, which isn't really as fun to watch.
I did enjoy watching the stream though and I am super excited for anything new that comes out soon.
Thanks for reading this long formal shit, but really I want more of this game! :D

I understand Jaxel's frustration, I was begging the players to use meter practically every match. It was disappointing that the players stuck mostly to what they knew and wouldn't just...let go and experiment.

I like watching people play fighting games...and occasionally Halo. They can keep my attention because there is always some sort of eye catching action. Shit like Starcraft...or any RTS really, I can't watch because it's just boring (to me) maybe because I don't play those games so I don't know what the hell is going on and watching 2 swarms of units beating on each other is just not entertaining to me.

But I think what makes fighting games entertaining to me is part of what would keep them from becoming big "e-sports", in the way the Starcraft 2 is big anyway.

One Starcraft game can last for any amount of time, those that I've actually watched lasted at least 25-30 minutes. The speedy nature of fighting games means that 6-7 matches could go on in that amount of time, and it can be difficult to keep track of who is still playing, so the only way fighting game competitors are really going to gain a "celebrity" status is because other fighting game players know who they are.

I don't think I properly explained my entire thought process, but I hope whoever reads this understands what I'm getting at.

I like watching people play fighting games...and occasionally Halo. They can keep my attention because there is always some sort of eye catching action. Shit like Starcraft...or any RTS really, I can't watch because it's just boring (to me) maybe because I don't play those games so I don't know what the hell is going on and watching 2 swarms of units beating on each other is just not entertaining to me.

But I think what makes fighting games entertaining to me is part of what would keep them from becoming big "e-sports", in the way the Starcraft 2 is big anyway.

One Starcraft game can last for any amount of time, those that I've actually watched lasted at least 25-30 minutes. The speedy nature of fighting games means that 6-7 matches could go on in that amount of time, and it can be difficult to keep track of who is still playing, so the only way fighting game competitors are really going to gain a "celebrity" status is because other fighting game players know who they are.

I don't think I properly explained my entire thought process, but I hope whoever reads this understands what I'm getting at.

Yeah, I agree. I like Starcraft and other slower-paced games, but they are certainly only enjoyable for the player. Any spectators will be bored to tears, haha.

I agree with the idea that FGs need to be visually appealing to the audience. Not everyone makes it to the finals at evo but if the audience can enjoy what they watch it somehow makes the audience feel as if they can take part.

I was entertained by the stream although I sometimes was a little turned off when by people playing unnecessarily lame. In terms of percentage I'd say 80% of it was great.

But it's hard to say how visually stimulating it really is. The reason is that after you watch and partake in competitive play and become accustomed to it you begin to see the beauty in the simple things. You can appreciate the mind games even if nothing much is happening on the screen.

All that aside I think that SC5 is great for spectators. BE and CE alone aid in that department. Aside from that there is the new quick step and and classic things like lightning and fire for guard breaks and unblockables. I think once people are more familiar with the game and the uses of all the moves there will be more to see. As long most moves have a purpose it will be possible to see good variety.

high level play from SC veterans + the fact that the game is new = gameplay looks very similar to SCIV.

It remains to be seen if the comeback mechanic of giving losing players more meter actually affects the gameplay that much. We hardly saw any meter use/management from the French vids.

I think Dramatic camera angles are the key to flashier gameplay. For example, Natsu's throw where she knees the opponent, then teleports above him/her with multiple dive kicks. In one of the early SCV videos, the camera was static. In the recent build the camera follows her around as she approaches from the different angles. When I saw her throw for the first time, I thought 'meh'. The second time around, I thought 'Damn, that was pretty cool' even though I had seen it before. So I think that if Project Soul continues to play around with the camera angles, we'll definitely get a Spectator-friendly game.

One specific request that I'd like to offer to Project Soul. For the KO hits, I like how they repeat the moment when the hit connects, but I think they should change the camera angle for each repetition. Don't change the pace of it, just the play with the camera angles.

I can honestly say that I was not bored with the stream.
Maybe I am just easily entertained...or maybe I actually enjoyed watching the game being played by actual players. I am a lil disappointed of the fact that Tira was not really played all that much and I had to look for gameplay of her.
Either or, I am still hyped for this game and I cannot wait!

PS: I do agree with some of the Extra Credit video POVs.

After watching the stream i feel certain characters are visually stunning to behold while others fall flat in that category but are designed to kill effectively. Mitsurugi and Ivy are boring to watch back to back because their moves are straight forward. We have seen Ivy's complicated grab for years which makes her CE not nearly as impressive as it could be. Mitsurugi is very stiff. Most of his strike are like he is cutting through his opponent. While that looks good once you see the motion you know exactly what its gonna be and your opponent reacts the same way all the time. Repetition does get boring to watch.

On the other hand you have characters such as Maxi and Voldo when played properly has some fast attacks along with wild animations for their crazy strong attacks. Maxi doesn't have to always attack the exact same way after 70% of his move list. It can keep the audience vocally or mentally invested in the match or both. I was watching like whoa whats next or hey his low defense hasn't been on point so far this match so will Maxi take advantage of that. Voldo and his neutral stance is a spectacle alone. Then you have him turning around the whole fight doing different high damaging attacks. I shouldn't even have to mention his MC and LF stances.

In SCV Asteroth seems to be a great mixture of both aspects however. I found myself saying will he BE bull rush and how will his opponent react to that slight moment of hesitation. His air throw relaunch air grab into a wall combo is both crazy to look at and very hard hitting. The times that i seen it was split between watching the health bar decrease and actually watching him do the combo. Both left me with the same reaction which was WOW!!! AIN'T THAT SOME SHIT!!!!

Meters are confusing. And the random yellow glowing affects and flashes add to that confusion.

When looking at this from a completely noob prospective. I have some complaints about the new affects in the game. They're too distracting and take away from the awesome attack animations that are actually the selling point of 3D fighters.

Unlike 2D fgs where you're constantly, "what the fuck Marvel?" It's never been difficult to spectate a 3d fighter and know what the hell is going, become attached to one player and be amazed by the human drama.

It is both things, the game has to look good or spectator friendly for the audience to be emotionally invested. You don't want the audience constantly questioning what's happening on the screen, you just want them to take it all in. For us FG fans it's easy because we're familiar with the mechanics, but to the audience who probably have never touched or seen the game, it should also be easy. (if it looks like it Rings outs, it should ring out)

That's why when I look at the future of e-sports for fighting games, I don't see 2d fgs leading the front. I see games like Tekken doing so.

Like it's been said (and beaten to death already) commentators are a key that will make SC5 huge. Imagine watching any sport without commentators. They keep our focus and hype us on awesome plays. Get practicing guys(and girls)!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back