Hate Speech: Extra Extra Credits

Like many of you heroes out there, I spent several hours last Friday watching the French play Soul Calibur 5. As the stream ended, I found myself reflecting on two major issues: first, a suffocating, heady mix of shame and loathing at having lost a beautiful day, and second, the traits that make games compelling for spectators.

In fairness, Friday's exhibition wasn't my first rodeo; I've waved a fond farewell to countless hours of my life as I watched them spiral away down the match video/tourney stream toilet, which makes sense within the context of Soul Calibur matches because I'm personally invested in the game. Then again, I've also found myself watching intently as people I don't know play games I've never touched, and I've loved every second of it. So what gives? How does a game become "good tv?"

It's a question of design. The right combination of aesthetics and mechanics can make a game almost as fun to watch as it is to play.

A recent episode of Extra Credits tackled this very issue, among others, in an attempt to break down the challenges facing competitive gaming as "sport." It's worth a watch, but for those of you without the time and inclination to do so, I'll summarize: one of the central points argued in the video is that game designers must take spectatorship into account if a game is to become competitively popular.

9PRWu.png
Curling has finally found the secret to good spectatorship, it seems.

The team behind Soul Calibur 5 is proving itself to be impressively savvy in this regard. The series has always had lush visuals and unique character design, but the addition of cinematic super moves--stolen ever-so-blatantly from Street Fighter 4--takes this visual appeal and gives it a huge injection of drama. The brief pause in the action combines with the violently zooming camera shifting to an exotic angle to let us know that things are about to get nasty. Moreover, that pause also gives us a split second of simply not knowing what will happen. Ivy's started up her CE --did Mitsurugi duck in time or is he about to take an unscheduled flight? All of this creates tension and excitement while providing a road map of sorts, unambiguously indicating to the viewer that he's witnessing a critical moment in the match.

SC5 has other elements which are good for spectators, too. Attacks look like they hurt, armor and clothing can be damaged, certain walls change dynamically by breaking or falling when a combatant is knocked into them, and players' health bars change color as their life approaches zero. These are subtle things, but together they operate along the same lines as the cinematic CEs to create a rich, tension-filled viewing experience that doesn't require expert-level knowledge to appreciate.

Binary Busting

Brace yourselves, kids--we're about to get heavy.

9xmAy.png
Does this picture really require explanation?

Extra Credits didn't stop at pointing out that designers need to take spectators into account. It goes a step further, outright stating that games should be designed for spectators instead of the hardcore player. There's an implicit argument in that sentiment, namely that system depth is inherently incompatible with spectator-oriented design. The view seems widely enough embraced, but it also strikes me as flawed. As we've seen, spectator-friendly elements can be either visual or part of a game's mechanics. The purely visual should have no real bearing on the depth of the game involved, while changes to a game's mechanics can serve to either increase or decrease depth. SC5's cinematic CEs once again provide an excellent example. They are special, situational tactics to which one gains access through appropriate management of the new meter mechanic. They're clearly styled with viewers in mind, but they just as clearly add extra factors to negotiate, thus deepening the gameplay experience.

Conversely, these design elements can add drama while detracting from a game's competitive balance. Take, for example, the dreaded "comeback mechanic." While not as egregious as Tekken 6's "Rage Mode", SC5's practice of giving a player with meter when he is one round away from losing is certainly problematic. Comeback mechanics absolutely add to a match's dramatic tension, but at the cost of essentially rewarding someone for taking an ass-beating, which undermines a game's consistency.

Even so, both the good and bad examples above affect the game's depth independently of how they affect how enjoyable it is to watch. Design teams have limited resources, so it's possible that time spent polishing a game for viewership might detract from time that could be spent deepening the system, but in that sense there's also a resource conflict between system depth and, say, sound design. At the end of the day it seems entirely possible to design a fighting game that is both rewarding to play and entertaining to watch, and I observe that Namco is attempting to do just that with Soul Calibur 5.

TMWGZ.png
Another of life's most important design decisions; a classic one.

Homework:
Go watch some of the archived videos from France's exhibition tournament (or all of 'em, why the hell not?) and think about what makes a game enjoyable to watch, then come tell me what you think. Also, use the comments to weigh in on whether you think games can be spectator-friendly while also retaining their depth. Was Extra Credits right? If so, who should game companies be designing for?

Any discouragement to standing still should be welcomed. It makes the game more fun to watch as well as play. I happen to think standing still is a bad idea in SCIV, but so many players do it because it's not that bad. It's bad in VF5 where you'll get zero-frame thrown, guess that's what beat it out of me.

While not every match was super-exciting-evo-worthy-spectacular (what session is? even in tournaments), I found myself extremely invested at times with certain matches. The problem with sc4 was that, even with grand finals, it ultimately boiled down to 'My turn--BB, oh, your turn now!--BB' until somebody took a greater risk or makes a mistake. That meant a little bit of tension at best, and ALOT of downtime at worst. :/ Watching streamed SC4 tournaments, I would play video games until I heard an 'OOOH', which I would then actually switch my attention over to whatever may be interesting.

But I tried doing the same thing with the SC5 beta stream -- I was playing Valkyria Chronicles on my PS3, but I couldn't even pay attention, because I found myself drawn to the stream. The faster pace, improved sound effects, expanded character movesets, cool character designs (even though I seen them before :P) and cool stages kept my curiosity piqued.

But to me, it was some of the matches, particularly involving characters Astaroth, Maxi, and Pyrrah, and sometimes Mitsu and Patroklos, that kept me glued to the steam so long. That's weird to me, because for the first 4, I've pretty much seen all of their moves before. But with the improvements of things like Brave Edges and combos with CE, as well as the Astaroth mind-games going on, I found myself very invested in many of the matches, as well as satisfied with the stream as a whole. I wasted a whole day myself to the stream and didn't mind in the least. Also, not to mention, before the stream, I was worried about SC5, and after the stream helped make me more confident with SC5 then ever before

In other words, as a spectator; I'm bored. The comeback mechanic in fighting games is hoping to inject hype into boring high level play and I'm hoping in the future high level play will be more hype as we all learn to embrace the new metering system.

i totally agree with this. generally when watching most fighting game "high-level/pro" play im generally bored to tears. yeah your winning, yeah your not using any unsafe tactics, but then doesnt it kinda defeat the purpose of playing a GAME?

Spectator appeal probably explains why MVC2 was so successful. Sure people knew it was extremely unbalanced but people could forgive it that because it featured tons of over-the-top animations and was just plain fun to watch.

Anyway yeah from what I saw of the stream it could definitely at times be boring to watch. My main beef is it seems that Ivy, while still a fantastic character, just gets more and more boring to watch. Sc2 high level play with Ivy from what I've seen looked a lot more interesting. Now she just seems to rely on an extremely limited number of moves and her CE. Is this just me showing my ignorace or does anyone else agree?

Anyway yeah from what I saw of the stream it could definitely at times be boring to watch. My main beef is it seems that Ivy, while still a fantastic character, just gets more and more boring to watch. Sc2 high level play with Ivy from what I've seen looked a lot more interesting. Now she just seems to rely on an extremely limited number of moves and her CE. Is this just me showing my ignorace or does anyone else agree?
Finally. Someone has mentioned Ivy. Thank you. (And yes I agree)

Hmm ME Thinks you guys are going overboard. these guys couldn't really experiment with what the game has to offer. We were left with Calibur but people had to improvise or stick with what they know.

The simple fact is if people like me, or Mick, or others, will make the game interesting because we know how to utilize more of our movelists. 90% of other players simply stick to those 5 moves and whore it out for the win. I guess winning is Fun, but I like to have Fun while winning. Give everyone a chance....

I totally agree about Ivy. Very boring to watch. At least in Sc4 I needed 6-7 moves to properly roach with her, now in SC5 it's looking like 3-4.

Counter-example to SC4 high-level play being boring:

Enkindu. More people need to play Voldo.

Also when Suirad plays Astaroth. Also when the two aforementioned players battle each other in a final using those two characters. One of the best fights ever.

Counter-example to SC4 high-level play being boring:

Enkindu. More people need to play Voldo.

Also when Suirad plays Astaroth. Also when the two aforementioned players battle each other in a final using those two characters. One of the best fights ever.

that would be the exception, not the rule. most of it is boring. rarely, its not.

NOOOOOO, NOOOO FUCKING DRAMA for video games!! NOOO PLEASE, ITS STUPID!!!!
I've just watch that video, brb..

that would be the exception, not the rule. most of it is boring. rarely, its not.
That's why I listed it as a counter-example. A counterexample is defined as an exception to a proposed general rule.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/counterexample

EDIT:
Also, according to that triangle I got fucked: I'm only good looking! =(

I know what you said, and what it means; thanks.

also on a side note I'm also an astaroth player and have fought enk on a few occasions. he plays very safe also. but playing too safe against any decent astar player can be risky as astar punishes turtling; standing still, or blocking too often and therefore by reaction the match must be more active to counter astaroth's strengths; which as a decent player enk does indeed do. so your example is noted but it's just because he is different than the rest of the generally speedy cast of SC imo.

I really enjoy your speeches, Hates. I went back and looked at the gameplay. And I must say I'm content with all the changes. Well Not so much with grab breaks taking life or guard impacts taking meter (if anything, I should build meter).

I enjoyed watching the gameplay, but after awhile I kept seeing the same moves used over, And I lost interest. I can honestly say, I like watching some fighters over others. I became bored really fast watching Mitsurugi, Siegried, and Tira fight (opinion of course). I felt like, I didn't see anything new from them. And these new red & blue flashes aren't keeping my attention either. And what is up guard crushes now? I see a guard crush, and the other person BB to punish. As beautiful as the stages are, I was hoping for more interactions. This might sound like a bad idea, but what about a stages where your surrounded by a crowd. As u get closer to them, they back up or a stage that has water that comes to the ankles.

Now to stop whining. the new camera angles they are doing, really adds to the excitement. A meter in the game is looking like a great idea to add suspense. The game pace has picked up, and that a good thing. All in all, is fun to watch for a while. I just really hope they can bring more to the table. And by far Patroklos has the best cinematic super out the cast, and I expect the others to change over time.

The brief pause in the action combines with the violently zooming camera shifting to an exotic angle to let us know that things are about to get nasty.

I love this line...

Anyway, to comment briefly: The game is flashy and gorgeous to watch without hindering the core Calibur play we've come to love. The Critical Edges, the Brave Edge moves, just-guarding, and the Guard Burst that gives the attacker like +30 frames for breaking someone's guard will surely inspire plenty of crowd pleasing OH SHIT! moments. I also love the development team encouraging more offensive and faster-paced fighting in designing the new game.

More importantly, it still looks and feels like Calibur. The new soul gauge doesn't make the game into Mortal Kombat, or even Street Fighter. The meter management in Mortal Kombat is extremely important, and leads to game-losing decisions if you manage it wrong at all. As opposed to Soul Calibur 5, where (at the moment) is very easy to gain meter and serves to aid a player to make good decisions in a fight.

Feels like the mind games in Calibur will now be taken to another level. I embrace these changes to the game. It's looking to be the best Calibur yet.

FG's definitely need to be designed more against spectators to be successful. At the very least, this seems to be the trend of modern-day FG's anyway.

Almost every single FG that came out since 2009 has been about easier inputs, flashy visuals and as much as I hate to say it, the comeback mechanic. If it's cool and generates hype, it is viewed by most casual players and spectators as a good thing, while earning the ire of hardcore competitive players.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this type of content is what gets eaten up by players even outside of the game itself and into the metagame. The fact that I can look badass, beat the snot out of noobs while still having hope against a player leagues better than I am sounds really enticing to me. This is probably one of the reasons I began and continue to play Marvel. A lot of players bash XF, and rightfully so because these negatively contribute to balance and the importance of skill. However, I daresay that people will keep playing Marvel because they have the hope that they can win in every match that they play, and will strive to even marginally improve so that they can increase their chances. At least, this is how I personally see it. In really "scientific" games as VF5, if you're better than me, you're better than me. And no one would argue that it would be a boring match for both the players and the spectators.

Live streams

4 Viewers
CallMePeterJr
CallMePeterJr
The Adventures Of Paige Continues. Progressing through more of Libra Of Souls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back