Hate Speech: The Hype Train Derails; Countless Injured...

When I first sat down to write this week’s column I had something rather different in mind than what you’ll see here. I’d been called out and challenged to list my grievances with certain community issues, events, and so on.

It was to be my own version of Martin Luther’s Ninety-Five Theses, though streamlined and updated for the modern digital era—a focused laser-beam of bitching—but then all hell broke loose. My topic slipped its tethers, busted out of its cage, and got water on itself while eating after midnight. I knew immediately that I was in serious trouble, but that’s just how hype rolls. . .

gremlins2SPLASH.jpg
And it was so cute, too! What a shame...

This column, like so many others, began its life as a series of discussions I had with a few of my friends. While only tangentially related on the surface, they all united around themes of presentation and the difficulties inherent in finding a voice. Beyond those deep-level issues, these conversations also shared a major character among them: hype. So what is hype? Does it help us? Could it hurt us? I don’t propose to answer these questions definitively, but I do intend to poke your brains a little bit just to see what falls out, and I see no better way of doing that by starting you off basically where I started, too: staring down the barrels of some damn awkward conversation-starters.

Conversation #1: “Well, SCV World’s got less attention on SRK than [random underwhelming, trivial thing above or below it]. Looks like the game’s officially dead.”

This one threw me for a couple of reasons. First, I heard it from someone who’s emotionally invested in the success of SCV, so it was by no means gloating or taunting, either of which would have been easily enough dismissed. Second, it struck me intuitively as wrong—there’s no way, in my mind, that an event displaying so much high quality play could kill off a game—but at the same time, it became necessary to really stop and think about why the event itself didn’t capture broader attention.

pRIAe.jpg
Protip: It wasn't due to a lack of awesome player-names.
Defining a fighting game stream’s success is an incredibly tricky proposition. The most logical place to begin, like with so much else on the Internet, is to look at raw viewership, but that’s hardly cut and dry. First off, how do we derive those numbers? Roughly 3,000 people tuned in to watch live, Spooky’s channel currently show between 2,500 and 3,500 views for all of its archived pieces, and bits of the tournament have made their way to Youtube, gathering viewer impressions ranging from the dozens to the hundreds. We can use that data to sort of ballpark a rough number of total viewers, but the margin of error is pretty huge. Even were that problem to be eliminated, however, we still need to situate the number of viewers within a context in order to make that number meaningful, but what’s the appropriate context? Should we look at other major tourney streams? Maybe, but those feature multiple fighting games, which probably skews things a bit. What about other single-game streams like Starcraft 2 stuff? We could, but Starcraft 2 numbers are just. . .staggering. While we can and should aspire to that sort of thing, falling short hardly counts as failure.

In any case, let’s set aside finding a context for a moment and take a look at how the viewership numbers, whatever their significance, came about. The World Finals event seemed shrouded in needless mystery from the outset. No one had an especially good sense of when it would be held, which events counted as qualifiers, and so on, until the absolute last minute. The stream itself wasn’t promoted through 8wayrun’s in-site mechanism for doing precisely that, and the actual time of the stream wasn’t made known until the day of the event, which is especially problematic given that it took place late on a Tuesday night (the timing of which, I suspect, was due in large part to the costs of securing a venue, etc.). The net effect of all this, especially combined with Spooky’s migration from Twitch to own3d just before, made actually seeking out the World Finals a little frustrating for those of us who are plugged in, and prohibitively difficult for pretty much everyone else. As Sora mentioned last week, the event itself went spectacularly for those actually in attendance, but somehow that same consideration didn’t extend to those of us who wanted to watch things online. Bringing the hype to a small group of attendees at the expense of the larger, less-directly-invested crowd was as a strategic blunder, and in fact it makes the number of viewers we did manage to garner more impressive as a result.

Conversation #2: “That was awesome, but I really had no idea what was going on at a high level. Talking to you makes me feel like we were watching two entirely different events.”

Since the significance of our viewership is hard to pin down, and the numbers themselves were likely driven downward by an absence of promotion, we’re left with more subjective means of evaluating success, such as whether or not people are talking about it (which happens to be where Conversation #1 began). The relative mindshare an event or game gets is always based on a number of factors such as visibility, legibility, drama, and just blind luck. That last bit notwithstanding, this is one of those issues wherein hype as we’ve come to understand it is a double-edged sword. It’s crucial that we get people excited, but it’s equally important that we give people some larger sense of what’s going on both in terms of actual gameplay and the various storylines being played out in front of everyone’s eyes.

Sports, games, and really all forms of competition are storytelling devices at their hearts. Think about why we care about outcomes: they’re unscripted, they’re undecided, and we possess a rooting interest in the outcome. Would football (real, AMERICAN football or prancing European flopping-exhibitions, take your pick) be deeply compelling to people lacking an appreciation for its overarching narratives? I suspect it’d be a curiosity at best. So, too, is it with fighting games. The friend who provided me with this section’s quote went on to tell me that he basically sees most FG streams as screaming without substance. In fact, though he basically plays only SCV at this point, he confided in me that he’d still rather watch Starcraft 2 because it’s presented in such a way that what takes place on screen makes sense (read: is explained) and the drama of matchups, tournaments, and so forth are placed into a meaningful context, both of which enrich his viewing experience.

HatesManor.jpeg
Nevertheless, only one sort of football is welcome in stately Hates Manor.

Tempting as it may be to dismiss that sort of critique as coming from someone who simply doesn’t “get” fighting games, step back for a second and really think about it. First and foremost, the best presentations of any sort establish a relationship between form and content. When most people talk about FG hype, they seem to be pointing not toward solid, pro-style commentary like we see from Ultradavid and James Chen talking Street Fighter, but rather the over-the-top madness of the Marvel scene. SCV wears MVC2-style hype like a cheap suit. Our game is intense and exciting, but it’s a deliberate sort of intensity, not a sensory overload, and thus too much hype in that particular vein feels forced and even awkward. SCV’s aesthetics can be both brutal and elegant, but above all the game creates an epic fantasy feel, and our hype should somehow reflect that, or at least be sensitive to it in some fashion. It’s the difference between the badass, cohesive world of Conan the Barbarian and the cheesy anachronisms of A Knight’s Tale.

conan-barabarian-1-set-2.jpg
"Hold up! Which one of you assholes started humming 'We Will Rock You?'"

Beyond that, it’s a matter of education. We as a community need to focus on tempering our hype with information. We don’t need exhaustive explanations of every minor gameplay detail in real-time (though, as an aside, what would you guys think of post-event video breakdowns?), but we could very much benefit from at least some player context to increase the drama. Noface’s impressive showing at the World Finals, for example, might have been even more interesting to the uninitiated viewer if that viewer had a sense of how many within our community openly said NCR didn’t deserve to have a qualifier. That’s instant underdog status and instant drama.

Showcasing little things like this is imperative for all of us who want SCV to succeed and grow because it’s probably the best way to bring in new eyeballs. Returning to Starcraft 2 as an example, that game proves that there’s a ridiculously large number of people willing to tune in and watch competitive gaming streams—in fact, that number’s much larger than any fighting game gets now, period—so why not make a play for those people? We can make inroads, but in order to do that we have to present our tournaments and our community in a way that is recognizably meaningful and distinctly our own, not some derivative caricature of formulas better suited to other FGs.

Conversation #3: “You have POWER but nobody wants to speak up and USE IT.”

We absolutely must work together to ensure that our tournaments, streams, and other content are as good as they can be in order to ensure the success of our community, and the best way to do that is to open and maintain real, substantive discussion regarding what works and what needs to be improved. This doesn’t mean we should tear each other down or devolve into a quivering, screaming mob, of course, but it does mean that we can’t just dogpile on people at the moment of their first critical utterance. This goes beyond covering my own ass, by the way, and gets down to some fundamental issues with our community’s personality. As my anonymous hectoring-ass friend pointed out, we all have power, but we must choose to employ it.

local-celebrity-the-power-is-yours-mens-t-shirt-3.jpg
It was this or He-Man. Deal with it.
Namco’s willingness to support us and engage with us thus far has been absolutely amazing, and I don’t think anyone questions that, but now it falls to us to step up and become collaborators. They gave us the game, but we give it meaning. They give us events, but we have to tell them how the events can get better. Honestly, I’m shocked that nobody has gone publicly ballistic over how difficult it was just to figure out when the world tournament was being streamed. It’s time we stopped living in fear of being perceived as ungrateful and stepped forward to take some degree of ownership over the SCV content being created. If we play it right, we can bring in new people, have even better events, and continue to grow. Hype is a part of that. Being proactive is a part of that. Pushing content with a uniquely SOULCALIBUR point of view is a part of that. Above all, we simply need to be invested in the game and willing to blaze some trails. It’s all very much in our hands. Do something about it.

Homework:

Well, whaddaya think? Am I right or wrong? I’m going out of my way to say there’s a place for criticism, so feel free to crucify me. While you’re at it, though, why not talk about some of the things you’d like to see change? Tell me what kind of content you’re looking for, etc, or how you’d reconcile hype with explication, evangelism, and so on.

I actually like the idea of an official 8wayrun youtube channel. Hates what do you think about that?

I think there's also a problem of communication strategy :
A little bit of planning, in terms of advertisement, is required for major events to get the major audience they deserve. Yet even though I take a look at 8wayrun every day, it felt like the SCImpact World Final appeared out of nowhere.
It didn't feel like a world final, but like a tournament where players had been chosen for unkown reasons (of course, in terms of skills, it was a world final).

I think it would have been more efficient to warn people about the event a long time ago, then build up the hype and interest. For example by giving a lot of attention to the qualifiers to SCImpact, if there were any.

As women say, foreplay is important.

Primary Problem: The barrier to entry for going from a casual soul calibur player to a good one is way too high. You either have to find good players willing to kick your ass for a long time, or find the local arcade scene. The first cripples growth (not enough good players, no perfect way of finding them, sort of a waste of their time), and the second is a lot of effort.

Secondary Problems caused:
First, SC5 draws from a limited talent pool.
Second, less people can appreciate what's going on in tournaments. I'd wager less than a hundred people fully appreciated what was going on in the world finals. I sure didn't.

Four Fixes:

1.) Day9-style guides:
Your first ~40 episodes: 30 minute, in-depth guides on how to play a given character. Talk set-ups, best wakes, combos. Get an expert to come on skype and talk with you. Play some games against him to see how it works. Finish with 5 minutes on how to play against the character.
Go over VODs from tournaments. Talk about what players did well, what new bullshit players are figuring out.
Do one of these a week, and in 4 months we have a series of links that we can point new players to: "Want to learn to play your character better? Go here."

2.) Tourney Replays:
You have the VODs. Nobody gives a shit about watching players set up their keys. In between matches, go over the key points of the previous match. Show where a particularly sick read or play happened.

3.) Build character:
I know that Omega is pretty much the best Soul Calibur V player in the world. I've watched him play in FinalRound and the world championships. I have literally no idea what distinguishes him from any other top player. Is he faster? Is his understanding of the SC5 metagame particularly advanced? Is his execution technically flawless? What distinguishes him, from, say, Keev?

SC5's relatively small playerbase is, in fact, an advantage here - I see a very similar set of players at the big tournaments. Productions should take advantage of that, and tell me the story of these players. I want to know that Hates is blind in one eye, walks with a limp, and plays SC5 by smell.

4.) Update 8wr with player streams
I would _absolutely_ watch top players streaming their practice, or their xbox live. Particularly if there was a link to it off the community portal. This not only gives me a place to go to see good SC5 whenever I want, but allows top players to make some money. Get 50 viewers every night for a few months, throw a commercial up while searching for matches or in between matches, and you'll have enough to travel to a tourney.

On a tangent here, but i hate how a tournament, stream and even the game itself is purely rated on how "hype" it is. If you think about that, know one could no what the fuck is going on, but if you have someone shouting down the mic at unexpected moments, then it's a great stream. That kinda ties in on why FilthieRich kinda annoys me when he does commentry. Every time i hear him shouting at something, all i hear is "look guys look. look how hype this is guys. guys? this is hype right guys? HYPE!" I can't help but cringe sometimes; it's "hype" for all the wrong reasons.

On a slightly different tangent (and maybe make myself sound a little hypocritical) is that strategic commentary as the match is happening seems really damn hard. In games like StarCraft 2 and MOBA games, the commentators can see a players strategy as it is developing, since this stuff requires setup and the commentators can explain what the player is trying to do as it happens. Even when unexpected things happen, these battles or whatever else usually take a minute or two to flesh out.

However, the live strategic element in most fighting games is usually instant. By the time a player made a really smart move and the commentator tries to explain it, something else has already happened or the round is over. There could be a lot of strategy behind a simple move or positional change that isn't immediately obvious. And the interesting part for me of watching top level players play is what you don't see on the screen. The way players react, adapt and trying to understand their mindset behind certain decisions, and the speed needed to apply that in a game they need to win are the most exciting for me, but it can be hard to convey that in commentary live at that moment, especially when these moments can happen within mere seconds of each other.

What can be done? I'm not sure; i come up with problems, not solve them :> However, i do feel that there is a lot of deadtime between matches - deadtime that often times ends up longer than the matches themselves. Why not use this time to explain in better detail the key moments that happened in the match? Instant replay technology a-go-go. It's pretty much done in most sports too when there is downtime between play. It would help explain things that you couldn't at the time and it would help alleviate the sheer dullness of waiting for the next match.

I actually like the idea of an official 8wayrun youtube channel. Hates what do you think about that?
I definitely think we could benefit from more centralized content.
I think there's also a problem of communication strategy :
A little bit of planning, in terms of advertisement, is required for major events to get the major audience they deserve. Yet even though I take a look at 8wayrun every day, it felt like the SCImpact World Final appeared out of nowhere.
Yup.
Great ideas--when can we expect your definitive guide to Voldo mediocrity?
Billy approves this message, good shit my friend, now back to Skyrim.
BILLY is the truest power.

CheLivz brings up a good point and I'd like to ask: why aren't the streams of established top players featured on 8WR front page? Enkindu streams regularly, for example, and the only reason I found out about his stream was someone mentioning it in an offhand comment in the 24/7 stream chat. Also, I believe Bibulus has begun streaming too? I go to the homepage of 8WR and see no inclination of this whatsoever. And what about those bi-weekly French SCV tournaments streamed by hazuSC? I knew nothing about that until I randomly glanced at suggested channels one week while in the 24/7 stream. It doesn't make much sense to me to only promote the 24/7 stream and majors - when they come along - in the stream directory.

I think you have some pretty good points.

- We need to organise a storytelling about SCV and then make sure people outside of the SC community hear about it.
An easy method would be to take interesting or outstanding SCV players and have them play a League. They would build up a fighting history, with defeats, come-backs and so on...
A few interviews here and there, and we get to know them better.
Personnally, I was a fan of the Federer-Nadal duel and was so happy when Federer won the French open, even though I don't know this guy.
See how Namco effectively used Kayane's image to promote SCV.
And Idra is StarcraftII's John McEnroe and, even though I don't know crap about SCII, I know and kind of like this guy.

I think you have some pretty good points.

- We need to organise a storytelling about SCV and then make sure people outside of the SC community hear about it.
An easy method would be to take interesting or outstanding SCV players and have them play a League. They would build up a fighting history, with defeats, come-backs and so on...
A few interviews here and there, and we get to know them better.
Personnally, I was a fan of the Federer-Nadal duel and was so happy when Federer won the French open, even though I don't know this guy.
See how Namco effectively used Kayane's image to promote SCV.
And Idra is StarcraftII's John McEnroe and, even though I don't know crap about SCII, I know and kind of like this guy.

I like this idea, plus many others out there. Someone should make a forum for the SCV (Good/Top/Well-Known) players, where we can pretty much answer the questions in Black_Dog's post.. That would be a start to get background info from the many SCV players.. (^_^)b

In response to CheLivz post, in particular, the comment about player run streams. I tried to post up my stream link to the events section once, and it was deleted an hour later by Jaxel with no explaination. So I messaged him and asked why he did that, and he linked me to this post. Read the Tournament Streams section of the post.

This has upset me because it's not like I am some random guy running a scrubby stream. I was an active liason for the newcomers, I am moderator of the Voldo forums, and I've traveled to many tournaments and placed top 5. You can imagine my disheartment when Jaxel did that to me with no more words than what was in the link. I do what I did here for free out of love for the community and to get treated like that when he has a 24/7 stream that anybody, pro, scrub, noob, etc... can join. Well, you can understand why I haven't been very active as of late.

On my stream, I play people like Woahhzz, RTD, Omega, Lolo, Hates, Something Unique, AlexJ and many other amazing players. I play in excess of up to 8 hours on some days. Nobody here will ever know it unless you go to the only place where I'm allowed to advertise it, the Game Video Distribution section of the forums and I haven't even been posting up all of the times that I am streaming. It's a damn shame in my opinion and I wish this change.

And it's not like I took the liberty of trying to advertise my stream without researching wether or not it was allowed either. right here in this thread it says that it's ok to post player ran online streams in the events section by Malice. Jaxel
added in the part in the main post where it reads in red, bolded and in all caps, "THIS THREAD FEATURE IS EXCLUSIVE FOR TOURNAMENTS ONLY!" after I pointed him to that thread. So yeah, he seems pretty pissed that I posted my stream on his website.

Just some general input.

I believe Day9-Esque breakdowns is a pretty awesome idea. The reason why I like this is because it establishes something the American Soul Calibur community is missing: Personalities.

Yes, I am aware that a small handful are not too fond of Rich's hype commentary. However, whenever I watch any related SCV stream, people recognize Rich as "That hype man".

The reason I am bringing the aspect of personalities up, is because it gives the audience someone or something to look forward to. A prime example is the CrossCounterTV with Gootecks (R.I.P.) and Mike Ross. Their show started out as something Day9 related where they would try to break down matches. However, over the past two years, people have tuned in just to watch Gootecks and Mike Ross. Why? Because they're entertaining people and make what they do seem fun and at times funny.

People don't watch wrestling for the "wrestling" portion. People watch for the wrestlers and their personalities which make up 90% of that show.

People don't watch "Wednesday Night Fights" or "Big 2" just for the fights, they watch because there are personalities to look forward to each week. Personalities in the actual competitors and personalities in the commentators. People look forward to the Chris Hus because of the entertainment he brings.

I'm not saying we should be "funny", be complete jackasses on the mics, or have "staged" rivalries. Instead people need to step up and start presenting themselves. I know there's a handful of people that can do this very very easily.

You wanna know what my friends, who I play with Marvel with, ask me about SCV: "Yo, who was that crazy dude in Grand Finals at NCR? That guy made it exciting to watch. Also, the commentary wasn't too preachy". Another friend chimed in asking if the crazy dude "AlexJ" would be going to any more events, because he wanted to watch him lose and get blown up.

With all this being said, having video commentary with two people who mesh very well/get along is a great start. It didn't have to start with someone shit talking or someone punching another dude over Marvel.

The only skepticism I have is if we can incorporate this possibly with the already established streams (8wayrun, IplayWinner, TeamSpooky, etc.) That would be a great boost, and make things a shitload easier imo.

Just some general input.

I believe Day9-Esque breakdowns is a pretty awesome idea. The reason why I like this is because it establishes something the American Soul Calibur community is missing: Personalities.

Yes, I am aware that a small handful are not too fond of Rich's hype commentary. However, whenever I watch any related SCV stream, people recognize Rich as "That hype man".

The reason I am bringing the aspect of personalities up, is because it gives the audience someone or something to look forward to. A prime example is the CrossCounterTV with Gootecks (R.I.P.) and Mike Ross. Their show started out as something Day9 related where they would try to break down matches. However, over the past two years, people have tuned in just to watch Gootecks and Mike Ross. Why? Because they're entertaining people and make what they do seem fun and at times funny.

People don't watch wrestling for the "wrestling" portion. People watch for the wrestlers and their personalities which make up 90% of that show.

People don't watch "Wednesday Night Fights" or "Big 2" just for the fights, they watch because there are personalities to look forward to each week. Personalities in the actual competitors and personalities in the commentators. People look forward to the Chris Hus because of the entertainment he brings.

I'm not saying we should be "funny", be complete jackasses on the mics, or have "staged" rivalries. Instead people need to step up and start presenting themselves. I know there's a handful of people that can do this very very easily.

You wanna know what my friends, who I play with Marvel with, ask me about SCV: "Yo, who was that crazy dude in Grand Finals at NCR? That guy made it exciting to watch. Also, the commentary wasn't too preachy". Another friend chimed in asking if the crazy dude "AlexJ" would be going to any more events, because he wanted to watch him lose and get blown up.

With all this being said, having video commentary with two people who mesh very well/get along is a great start. It didn't have to start with someone shit talking or someone punching another dude over Marvel.

The only skepticism I have is if we can incorporate this possibly with the already established streams (8wayrun, IplayWinner, TeamSpooky, etc.) That would be a great boost, and make things a shitload easier imo.

Could not have said it any better myself.

The FGC is growing not only because of more players, but it now has an audience. Catering to the crowd is becoming an increasingly important aspect of the scene. We won't get anywhere until we get people interested in us--commentary and player personality is a large part of that.

Live streams

4 Viewers
CallMePeterJr
CallMePeterJr
The Adventures Of Paige Continues. Progressing through more of Libra Of Souls
1 Viewers
diabloriscart93
diabloriscart93
ScVI:Le legendaDeSoulEdge&Soulcalibur01

Forum statistics

Threads
Members