How about petitioning for BD to come to console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooofmatic

World Warrior
Since the Soul Calibur team is back together again, perhaps we can convince them to release BD for consoles. I don't see how it would use up much of their resources to port it over, since it's not like they would need to add anything. Even if it doesn't have much content, and only has offline vs, online vs, training and arcade mode, and is released as a download through Xbox Live Arcade and the Playstation Store, I think that would be enough for fans to enjoy while we wait for SC5.

I know Daishi mentioned on his twitter that it was actually originally planned for consoles, and for some business reasons they couldn't, but I'm hoping maybe things are different now.

Maybe we can all do something to convince Namco to go through with it??

Even if we had to do without Kratos, I think it would be a good idea and I would definitely buy it. I need something new to hold me over till SCV.

hehe, this is a good idea, but from what I've heard BD could use some more balancing as well. BD is practically a port of SC4 with a different guest character and apparently a new main one. If anything, I'd like to see a patch to SC4's netcode instead. I think that would be much less work, and make the game we've already grown accustomed to better. I wouldn't pay for a BD port to consoles. I did that with SoulCalibur on the xbox and later felt it was a waste of money.

i believe the only "business reasons" would be that namco purchased the rights to bring kratos once and that kratos is now meant to exclusively be a mortal kombat guest character. so if that's the problem, get rid of kratos. i'd be happy with a little balancing, a little more CAS and maybe dampierre. stages aren't that necessary either.

maybe someone can twitter him about it?

i'd sign.

1. This isn't happening.

2. They're not going to spend money on trying to update a game that's over two years old.

3. How do you know for sure that it porting the game won't use alot of resources? The game would still need to be developed on two consoles, play tested, and marketed. Resources like that aren't cheap.

4. How many people still have the game at this point for it to make sense to make a download for it? People aren't not going to repurchase SC4 to go purchase an update for it.

5. The changes in BD weren't that hot to begin with. All this would do is hold people over for a month or two until they start asking for a new game again.

6. There's also the issue of what to do with the guest characters? Can't put Kratos on the 360.

7. This isn't happening. Would I love an update? Absolutely. I just don't see something this as a viable option since it's about money at the end of the day. Plus I would rather start fresh with a new game that more people are going to be into. Not to mention, look at the amount of changes that people have suggested. How long are people going to be happy with just some update before wanting more?

1. You never know.

2. I didn't say update, I said port. They ported SC1 which is over 10 years old, why wouldn't they port a 2 year old game?

3. How do you know for sure that the game will use a lot of resources? Neither of us know, I only stated my opinion on that.

4. I didn't say patch. I said downloadable port. You don't need to have the original game to play that. You just log into the Playstation Store or Xbox Live marketplace and purchase the game for download.

5. Opinion. In my opinion the changes in BD are very hot. And I would love to use "SC4" version of Dampierre competitively before his SC5 version comes out.

6. Who said anything about Kratos. The port wouldn't need guest characters.

7. You never know until you try. I'm going to at least attempt contacting Diashi about it. I and I'm sure many others would absolutely love for BD to be ported over like it was originally intended to.

But thanks for your opinions anyways, Malice.

Reactions: SL
They ported SC1 which is over 10 years old, why wouldn't they port a 2 year old game?
SC1 has several advantages. It's more than a little special in several ways, not to mention an incredibly old game that not everyone has the system for. Plus, because it's an older game, it doesn't require as much to actually bring back out.
BD has none of these advantages.

How do you know for sure that the game will use a lot of resources?
Because all modern games do. Game development is expensive as sin, and even a slight misstep can make or break entire franchises.

They ported Tekken 5 to PSP as Dark Ressurection and then they ported Dark Resurrection to PSN as Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection! (I believe they did this per request of tourny players at that!)

Reactions: SL
SC1 had the advantage of not being on any other console. It's a great port, but you don't see anybody going crazy about it because it has no online play.

You also have to consider what to do for the X360 console. Namco takes a 2 console approach now, and you cannot release BD as it is without removing Kratos, or spending time and money to make a new guest character. Plus who is going to buy the game without him besides the 4 people who want the game ported?

Tekken 5:DR had the advantage of not having a Tekken game on a modern console with online play, so it made sense to put it on the PS3. With BD, there's no demand for it on the console. Where's all of the casual fans asking for this game?

Also, how come there wasn't anyone really campaigning for this back in 2009? People want more than just a port. This is why people don't go crazy for SC1 on the X360 because there is no online and nobody is going to put the effort in to play it offline. And no one here is going crazy about the changes in BD, so who's playing it competitively?

At this point, the majority of people want a new game. I wouldn't mind something to hold me off, but in the long run, I rather be patient because the only way that people are going to be back in force is with a new game.

And at the end of the day, it comes down to money. I just don't see what sense it makes to put the resources towards trying to port a game that there's no demand for since it came out in 2009, and without challenges. But if you guys want to campaign for it, go ahead.

Namco is really going to have their hands full with the next game. With all of the wants that people have and the differences in opinion, it's going to be tough to please everyone and deliver a hit that everyone can enjoy. What's the point on spending resources to try and port BD over? They need to focus on the next game instead of trying to give themselves more challenges with trying to port this game.

You may be onto something, op. Sega has been updating Virtua Fighter 5 for years now, and a final version of it may be planned for consoles. I do like this idea, but because of how long it has passed, I think chances are minimal.

Oof brings a very good point with this. I have always wanted to play BD. BUt I cannot affor a Psp with college and stuff coming up. But i'd kill fo rthe chance to play BD on ps or Xbox! :D And to learn Dampieere before he goes to SCV would be awesome.

I play BD every day during my breaks and lunches at work. I personally wouldn't buy a port of it over SC4. The updates were good, but some just make me cringe. I'd rather them stay full steam with SCV.

Also, how come there wasn't anyone really campaigning for this back in 2009?

They were, they just got nothing for it. And I'd wager money they'd get nothing for it now that the game's two years old.

At this point, the majority of people want a new game. I wouldn't mind something to hold me off, but in the long run, I rather be patient because the only way that people are going to be back in force is with a new game.

And at the end of the day, it comes down to money. I just don't see what sense it makes to put the resources towards trying to port a game that there's no demand for since it came out in 2009, and without challenges. But if you guys want to campaign for it, go ahead.

It makes no sense to work on this now from a business perspective. Soul Calibur 5 would be a high profile product, why divert resources from it to create a port for a relatively obscure title that many ignorant people would denounce as a "cash grab"?

Taking the new director's word as law, console BD just isn't possible for now. Maybe a port later down the line? One can only hope. I'd love to get my hands on SC3:AE through PSN or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back