I seek CAS improvement!!!

Yay!! More things to stare at o_O (Still kinda think it's a weird word to use.) More to the point, While "super-cute anime-esque girls" is fine and all,
I'm gonna try to branch out. I don't really see any other way to get better.

Then you're learning fast and well. Consider yourself a priority.

General: Try to avoid pitch colors. Work more on faces and heads in general. More hairstyles (not always long hair), use some ornaments, hats, masks, characters look a bit too plain and similar to each other when it comes to the faces. And/or try to give them unique features like tatoos or scars.

Orriana: If you want to do a staff may be you should paint gear and arrow the same color, that way looks like a piece. Of course staves can be of more colors but since we are treating with two different items it will look like two different items unless you make them look like one. Also use gradients for the sfear. Blue and black colors look a bit too much "pitch" for my taste, try to use less saturated colors. The colors of the sticker are too brigh too, it looks a bit out of place, then again try to use less saturated colors.

Amelia: Exactly the same than the previous one.

Ayumi is OK. I'd remove the sticker from the pants and use another weapon (not SC) that fit more her, like the dragon head one. But overall is nice

Tatiana: Let me guess...a famous cat thief that enters on the party dressed as a beatiful elegant woman then she changes her clothes and goes to steal the jewel? I guess you want to make her look like she is wearing a night dress in 1p. You should work on it a bit more and place the stickers other way, because it doesn't feel like is a dress at all, it looks like some random pieces combined together. Ribbon should be from a different color than the rest and the bracers doesn't have much sense since it makes harder making it look like a dress and that chest piece already has sleeves. You should change the black part of the underwear to purple. May be a different hairstyle with some ornaments would fit the overall appearance a bit.

2p is Ok though

Larissa 1p then again same problems than Orriana and Amelia. Stickers are well placed but the combination of colors...

2p is sweet, I really like it, your best piece without doubt, I'd change nothing.

Tatiana: Let me guess...a famous cat thief that enters on the party dressed as a beatiful elegant woman then she changes her clothes and goes to steal the jewel?

Kind of. (Get out of my head.) =P. Minus a the famous part (She's that good.) =) On Amelia do you mean all her colors or anything specific in general.

Wait.... what's happening with Amelia there? Am I wrong in seeing 4 special equipments? I see a quiver+3 arrows, but arrows only come single, and the quiver is a special item too...

The quiver comes with 3 free arrows (three-three lol) dear LordDraco, si i'd rather say Amelia has 2 free Ex-Eq slots to choose from, cause i can't see any other one used on this CAS.

Overall, not much to add to what was said, except that i think that AYUMI is by far above the rest and an instant "i wanna hug you" for me...

If i could point you into a specific direction for the kind of CAS you like to make, it would be to "stare" at other threads/CAS artists than the most popular ones that were already referred to (your knight servant included ;o)...

....ESPECIALLY Murasame's work, which i think is even more the type of CAS you should draw inspiration from in terms of girly CAS in great colorful costumes...yes, she is a girl too (or so i think)...and maybe Kiraxsummers as well (because i like her and she is a fan ;o)

Both have not been there for a while though...so you'll have to search for their thread...

http://8wayrun.com/threads/murasames-corner-of-cas.11170/

just an example, her Dame sur Loire

alexis-2p-1-png.16817

Overall, not much to add to what was said, except that i think that AYUMI is by far above the rest and an instant "i wanna hug you" for me...
I accept this hug and I will add these two to my "stare" list as I go forward. This list is getting rather long.... Murasame's work is well.... I find myself at a bit of loss for words. Also, I feel slight pangs of jealousy. Hopefully, I'll be able to work on my CaS and post edits. Oh and new CaS. (Once I get some time away from Calculus.....) :/

Kind of. (Get out of my head.) =P. Minus a the famous part (She's that good.) =) On Amelia do you mean all her colors or anything specific in general.

The pitch purple and pitch black, both are too saturated. And it doesn't fit much with the brwon part.

Since you are using gold for weapons you could use gold for Ivy's claw too. Make the purple more soft (same color but not 9 or 8 level but 4 or 5) Same for clothes. And the brown part gryish.

The sword scabbard doesn't need to be the same color than the robes.

I accept this hug and I will add these two to my "stare" list as I go forward. This list is getting rather long.... Murasame's work is well.... I find myself at a bit of loss for words. Also, I feel slight pangs of jealousy. Hopefully, I'll be able to work on my CaS and post edits. Oh and new CaS. (Once I get some time away from Calculus.....) :/

Calculus - is that a roman boyfriend of yours ? - now I am jealous ....relax...just kidding, the french like to flirt ;o

The pitch purple and pitch black, both are too saturated. And it doesn't fit much with the brwon part.

Since you are using gold for weapons you could use gold for Ivy's claw too. Make the purple more soft (same color but not 9 or 8 level but 4 or 5) Same for clothes. And the brown part gryish.

The sword scabbard doesn't need to be the same color than the robes.

exactly!
a good advice for colors - try to match colors on different parts for harmony and go to female 1p 2p CAS edits to pick up colors that you think are nice and apply on your own designs - then you will learn to achieve more realistic yet vibrant colors that add a true soul to your design

Calculus - is that a roman boyfriend of yours ? - now I am jealous
Actually, Calculus is the jealous one. Well not at you... sorry :(. Jealous at SC because instead of spending time with Cal, I did some edit work with CaS:

Orriana Redo Prototype
Work in progress just decided to post to see what everyone had to say:

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png

Some Minor Edits

Tatianna 2P
-reduced saturation on her.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
Larrissa 2P
-Changed shoulder plates, belt design,and boot plates to a hopefully more bronzish shade.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png
Amelia
-Reduced Sat on most parts of her
-Changed hand armor to gold
-changed scabbard to red(tentatively)
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png

I don't know how qualified I am to give advice, and from skimming the previous replies you've been fiddling arounfd with the designs, so I'll try to provide some direction, with specific examples.

First off, I notice that all of your CAS have thigh-high leg wear and well-developed thighs. As awesome as both of these things are, remember that just as ladies come in all shapes and sizes, so do CAS. Play around with body proportions just like equipment and patterns; body size/shape can help carry a design through and convey a lot about a character.

Second, assymetry works, but try to BALANCE. Example, Larissa 1P; you have the hairpiece inherited from the hairstyle , topped off with the feather equip, and immediately below the archer breastplate with an emblem to the same side. The design is now leaning to that side, but as you look down the character, all visual interest disappears in the legs with the solid black boots, and completely symmetrical below the waist. If you want to keep the lower half symmetry, balance out the top half of the design with something (shoulder armor, spec equip, etc) on the left shoulder/arm.

Other than that, you tend to oscillate between too many colors and too few. You can work wonders with a design by using similar colors that are a couple of values up/down or left /right. Tatianna 1P is on the way; you'd be surprised what a white ribbon and some jazz on the boots would do to make the design pop.

You're trying, and that's what it takes. Feel free to let me know how sorry you were to solicit random advice.

You're trying, and that's what it takes. Feel free to let me know how sorry you were to solicit random advice.

I am never sorry to have solicited advice. As for the thighs I don't think I actually messed with anyone except Amelia... I will have to look into that.

Maybe it just the equipment then. Keep in mind some pieces can really affect the proportions of your CAS. Something to keep an eye on.

Maybe it just the equipment then. Keep in mind some pieces can really affect the proportions of your CAS. Something to keep an eye on.
Very True I will try to be mindful of that from now on.

You seem like you sincerely want to improve your designs. I think a lot of the old-timers around here, myself included, really appreciate that. In fact, if not for that, I probably would have kept my silence like I usually do, these days.

Before I go into design-specific critiques, I'll give some basic tips. Having lurked for the previous year, you might already be aware of these tips, but just in case, these should help bring you up to speed.
-coloring rule of thumb: set saturation 1-6 for clothing (higher values safe if part has natively low saturation, e.g. lots of underwear parts), 7-9 for gold, jewelry, other small details, high-energy glowy things

- Bump-mapped stickers (e.g. denim pocket, buttoned pocket, ribbon, shiny star, phoenix, dragon, etc.) at very large-to-max size are a great way to add detail to otherwise plain parts. Sometimes, they can even suggest an additional layer of clothing above whatever part it was placed on.

- Always consider soft, subtle patterns in place of solid colors. For example, pick a pattern, color it such that its component colors vary only slightly, adjust size. This is also a great way to add texture to parts that come flat; I use the zigzag basic pattern at very small sizes often this way.

- Avoid x:0,0 (unless dealing with natively low saturation parts) and x:0,31 (as far as I can tell, saturation has no effect on the black-white gradient). Also, if you ever need to color something pitch black, 0:42-43, 31 is the darkest color achievable in creation mode

Here are my design-specific critiques. Even though you updated Orriana, I included a critique of the original design, just in case you wanted to revisit it in the future.
- flat, highly saturated colors. No pattern use, minimal sticker use leaves overall design very boring.

- Patterning on the hood is a nice start.

-two-sticker emblem on skirt is nifty
- BIG improvement on color palette

- ivy 2p gloves pair very nicely with swallowtail coat

- suggest color-matching arrow and cogwheel to help them blend together as a staff

- additional texturing might be appropriate on the boots, perhaps via patterns
- the skirt could definitely use some texturing, maybe also on the shirt and shawl.

- Darken the boots a little more. Not pitch black; maybe something like x:0,28-30

- brown is not working for the leather torso armor. I'd suggest black, but there's already so much flat black on the design. It could work if the other black parts had some texturing

- nice job on the red patterned scabbard
- white-black contrast is instantly eye-catching. Red and gold details round out the entire color pallette.

- I really suggest a change of parts from the undershorts. Alternatives off the top of my head: leather pants, mini dress (or similar skirt, if possible), something with a loincloth-y shape/silhouette

- whatever you choose for the wardrobe under the coat and boots, you could do better than to slap on a pattern with its stock colors and an almost random sticker

- might want to town down the saturation of the red clouds on the gloves by a lot

- you have ¾ of the bong seong set equipped. It all looks good together here, but if you're not careful, you run the risk of looking too much like mina's sc4 2p, or any other character from which a given set of dlc parts was taken
- the color-matching sticker across the midsection took detail away from a large surface, doing a disservice to the overall design. I can see why you did it, but I think adding another sticker on top of that to add detail is a step in the right direction

- nice soft detailing on the skirt and bow

- i agree with le bello, add another major color (or play up white or gold, as they already exist on the design)
- same problems with lack of detail on a large surfaces as 1p, except the problem here is worse. I see lots of space for additional detail throughout the midsection and on the boots

- suggest making the patterns on gloves more subtle

- additional parts could help the design become more complete
- I like the part choice in general

- many people complain about the floating hairpin, but you went with it by inserting the feathers under it. Excellent work

- imo, the archery breastplate doesn't need to be there, but if you decide to keep it, you'll need more interesting detailing than a flat black surface with a white-orange emblem whose color scheme doesn't match or complement the color scheme on the rest of the design

- the use of the moon sticker on the torso is interesting, but i'm not sure how I feel about it

- the helix stickers on the sleeves are garish as they are, I suggest using a more subtle approach

- on the subject of the sleeves, i'm surprised you went with the adept's sleeves. I usually find the wonder coat's sleeves to already be too wide and baggy
- might be my favorite design in this set

- wonderful use of the denim pocket sticker creates a bodice effect through the midsection

- red, brown, and gold all match together naturally

- at this point, the only necessary I find necessary is increasing the size of the decals on the shoulder armor. I almost didn't notice them and was about to suggest the bump-mapped phoenix sticker placed upside down at very large or max size, perhaps colored ruby red

- not as necessary as above, but maybe center the pattern across the torso. Again, not absolutely necessary, might just be me being ocpd
I think you'll be improving very soon, so I'm excited to see any updates and new designs you'll be coming up with in the future.

You seem like you sincerely want to improve your designs. I think a lot of the old-timers around here, myself included, really appreciate that. In fact, if not for that, I probably would have kept my silence like I usually do, these days.

Before I go into design-specific critiques, I'll give some basic tips. Having lurked for the previous year, you might already be aware of these tips, but just in case, these should help bring you up to speed.
-coloring rule of thumb: set saturation 1-6 for clothing (higher values safe if part has natively low saturation, e.g. lots of underwear parts), 7-9 for gold, jewelry, other small details, high-energy glowy things

- Bump-mapped stickers (e.g. denim pocket, buttoned pocket, ribbon, shiny star, phoenix, dragon, etc.) at very large-to-max size are a great way to add detail to otherwise plain parts. Sometimes, they can even suggest an additional layer of clothing above whatever part it was placed on.

- Always consider soft, subtle patterns in place of solid colors. For example, pick a pattern, color it such that its component colors vary only slightly, adjust size. This is also a great way to add texture to parts that come flat; I use the zigzag basic pattern at very small sizes often this way.

- Avoid x:0,0 (unless dealing with natively low saturation parts) and x:0,31 (as far as I can tell, saturation has no effect on the black-white gradient). Also, if you ever need to color something pitch black, 0:42-43, 31 is the darkest color achievable in creation mode

Here are my design-specific critiques. Even though you updated Orriana, I included a critique of the original design, just in case you wanted to revisit it in the future.
- flat, highly saturated colors. No pattern use, minimal sticker use leaves overall design very boring.

- Patterning on the hood is a nice start.

-two-sticker emblem on skirt is nifty
- BIG improvement on color palette

- ivy 2p gloves pair very nicely with swallowtail coat

- suggest color-matching arrow and cogwheel to help them blend together as a staff

- additional texturing might be appropriate on the boots, perhaps via patterns
- the skirt could definitely use some texturing, maybe also on the shirt and shawl.

- Darken the boots a little more. Not pitch black; maybe something like x:0,28-30

- brown is not working for the leather torso armor. I'd suggest black, but there's already so much flat black on the design. It could work if the other black parts had some texturing

- nice job on the red patterned scabbard
- white-black contrast is instantly eye-catching. Red and gold details round out the entire color pallette.

- I really suggest a change of parts from the undershorts. Alternatives off the top of my head: leather pants, mini dress (or similar skirt, if possible), something with a loincloth-y shape/silhouette

- whatever you choose for the wardrobe under the coat and boots, you could do better than to slap on a pattern with its stock colors and an almost random sticker

- might want to town down the saturation of the red clouds on the gloves by a lot

- you have ¾ of the bong seong set equipped. It all looks good together here, but if you're not careful, you run the risk of looking too much like mina's sc4 2p, or any other character from which a given set of dlc parts was taken
- the color-matching sticker across the midsection took detail away from a large surface, doing a disservice to the overall design. I can see why you did it, but I think adding another sticker on top of that to add detail is a step in the right direction

- nice soft detailing on the skirt and bow

- i agree with le bello, add another major color (or play up white or gold, as they already exist on the design)
- same problems with lack of detail on a large surfaces as 1p, except the problem here is worse. I see lots of space for additional detail throughout the midsection and on the boots

- suggest making the patterns on gloves more subtle

- additional parts could help the design become more complete
- I like the part choice in general

- many people complain about the floating hairpin, but you went with it by inserting the feathers under it. Excellent work

- imo, the archery breastplate doesn't need to be there, but if you decide to keep it, you'll need more interesting detailing than a flat black surface with a white-orange emblem whose color scheme doesn't match or complement the color scheme on the rest of the design

- the use of the moon sticker on the torso is interesting, but i'm not sure how I feel about it

- the helix stickers on the sleeves are garish as they are, I suggest using a more subtle approach

- on the subject of the sleeves, i'm surprised you went with the adept's sleeves. I usually find the wonder coat's sleeves to already be too wide and baggy
- might be my favorite design in this set

- wonderful use of the denim pocket sticker creates a bodice effect through the midsection

- red, brown, and gold all match together naturally

- at this point, the only necessary I find necessary is increasing the size of the decals on the shoulder armor. I almost didn't notice them and was about to suggest the bump-mapped phoenix sticker placed upside down at very large or max size, perhaps colored ruby red

- not as necessary as above, but maybe center the pattern across the torso. Again, not absolutely necessary, might just be me being ocpd
I think you'll be improving very soon, so I'm excited to see any updates and new designs you'll be coming up with in the future.

Court dismissed !
--defendant gets back to the drawing board--
;o))

Back