intelligence vs knowledge

optymuss

[12] Conqueror
I wanted to make a thread like this for a long time but for general discussion, but since i wanted to do something for this community and since i am not in the position to attend gatherings that are like 2 hours away, i will make this thread. I was afraid to because i figured that players already knew and i am afraid that people will criticize other players. Anyway, I recently have been working on an essay for this, and i find the topic interesting and vital in just about anything.

Intelligence is a trait possessed by an individual which can moderately be increased via knowledge and learning which is based on acquired information, digested via our own personal filters. These filters are not disproven by science to have been mostly related to early life experiences, such as when you are burned by fire, you will be cautious with it, even if you are a creature of lesser intellect such as a mouse.

And I see intelligence as your ability to think things through and comprehend/react to mentally challenging obstacles. I see an example of someone with intelligence being a skilled chess/shogi player or military strategist.

Knowledge is how much you know or understand any given thing.

Now i prefer a theoretical approach if you are willing to contribute like giving a specific situation in a match that defines these differences , which is easy but i want to go more in-depth.

I guess using player matches as an example would help but i personally think that you should ask permission from a player if so.

So this pertains to any form of intelligence and knowledge and any way you as a person can interpet it, measure it, acquire it, etc.

update

can someone please change this to general discussion just so i can update this with more info and talk to myself since no one else will ever contribute to something i have created it seems.

Intelligence is a trait possessed by an individual which can moderately be increased via knowledge and learning which is based on acquired information, digested via our own personal filters. These filters are not disproven by science to have been mostly related to early life experiences, such as when you are burned by fire, you will be cautious with it, even if you are a creature of lesser intellect such as a mouse.

Need more?

Need more?

nope thank you for the clarification.

EDIT:

adding this to original post quoted by you since no one understands anything i say and tends to overthink it. What you said though was basically what i said in my essay. ( i doubt you believe me though since people view me as a heartless and evil person on here....)

what are your thoughts on it being changed to a general discussion? i am afraid that getting into topics like creativity in terms of SCV would be an inferno.

Moved your topic to general discussion :).

And I see intelligence as your ability to think things through and comprehend/react to mentally challenging obstacles. I see an example of someone with intelligence being a skilled chess/shogi player or military strategist.

Knowledge is how much you know or understand any given thing.

Just wanted to say your explanation was very well said o.o Is that your own words?
I studied communications and media science at the university. My own words in a way, but it's taught in a similar fashion. There is a lot behind it anyway. I could probably teach a class in high school about knowledge alone. :P

Intelligence, and sometimes Intelligence Quotient (abbreviated I.Q.), is defined as someone's ability to learn in new situations. Antonym for stupidity. Intelligent people learn quickly, stupid people learn slowly. Knowledge is somewhat an unrelated measurement. A person can be noted to be intelligent even while lacking significantly in knowledge, so long as he learns and comprehends new concepts quickly and learns how to respond correctly in newer situations and environments quickly.

Knowledge is MUCH easier to define. It's like raw data stored in your head. Also a notable correlation between the two, someone with great knowledge doesn't even need to be intelligent. Intelligence is only needed in situations in which a person learns, whereas a person with proper knowledge of what the correct action would be in a certain situation can boast that learning in that situation is unnecessary; he knew what to do before the situation arose because he already had the knowledge, the raw data.

Experience occurs when a situation is repeated more than once to the same person. If the person has intelligence, experience will cause the intelligent person to gain knowledge, even if the person did not study the situation academically beforehand.

In comes a new measurement: Skill. Skill is a measurement of the rate of success and the degree of success at performing the correct action in a specific situation. Having knowledge and experience greatly increases the chance of increasing skill. Skill is nearly unattainable without experience, but not as a law, as there can be exceptions. As skill increases, intelligence is slowly taken out of the equation. A master who has increased his skill to an extreme degree is no longer using intelligence at all. Rather than actually learning anymore, he merely increases in skill. Eventually the skill may become so high that even cognitive thought becomes sparse when performing the correct action, because the correct action, executed with great efficiency, has developed into a robot-like reflex. As a certain situation arises, a master will perform the correct action skillfully, and little thought and no learning will be necessary. Regular training is recommended, or even a master can slowly lose this reflexive ability. Go too long without performing these reflexive actions and a familiar term will be used, "rusty".

Go out, Soul Calibur players. Use your intelligence to gain knowledge and experience, and in turn, increase your skill until you become a master. As a warning, some say becoming a master at any craft takes an average of ten years. It will be a long journey, my friends. Don't go too long without practicing, or you may get rusty.

Now let's play some Soul Calibur.

nope thank you for the clarification.

EDIT:

adding this to original post quoted by you since no one understands anything i say and tends to overthink it.
Glad I could help :)
What you said though was basically what i said in my essay.
( i doubt you believe me though since people view me as a heartless and evil person on here....)
I have no reason to disbelieve you until what you said has been disproven :)

what are your thoughts on it being changed to a general discussion? i am afraid that getting into topics like creativity in terms of SCV would be an inferno.
Trolls will be trolls. Let's let thinky people be thinky though?

Knowledge/wisdom have little, if nothing to do with intelligence other than the fact intelligence aids in their acquisition and possibly their subsequent application. The two are separate entities. I have to side with my colleague Dr. darkrhythm on this one.

The issue is probably muddled a bit by the concept of "tactical intelligence" which erroneously labels information relevant to military or governmental applications as "intelligence". So I'm not gonna fault anyone for making the mistake but I am gonna say "no.".

I've always defined intelligence as someone's ability to apply their knowledge in unfamiliar contexts. An intelligent person can think quickly and logically, relate ideas to situations, communicate effectively, recognize patterns, and minimize the amount of work required to overcome obstacles. Knowledge is simply a tool for the intelligent.

Many people seem to think these two terms are synonyms, which is why so many doctors and engineers are unqualified: Knowledge was stressed for their entire education instead of intelligence and problem solving. This analogy also works for SC, and really for any context in life. You'll see people cramming up frames and combos, but in the end they're just scrubs that know a lot about the game because they are not intelligent (or simply don't use their intelligence).

Back