Ivy SCIV->SCV Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofacekill3r

[11] Champion
ivy can use meter to turn a normal throw into SS.

i dont have proof that i called it, but i did talk about it in javachat with idlemind a while back.

not sure if this is gonna be a nerf or a buff, i guess it depends if the throw break window is still crazy small for SS/CS, the final damage numbers, the amount of meter used, the command input/buffer window (it would be lame if SS/CS were just as situational as they are in sc4 AND you had to spend meter), along with several other factors. I hope they are a unique and powerful way to spend meter, and they aren't overshadowed by other ways to use meter or other characters' ways to use meter. judging by the new interview, they dont seem to do as much damage as before, but normal throw damage seems to be buffed. If I had to guess how much they do now, it appears to be between 65 and 70 damage each. Ivy landed a CS on mitsu toward the end that clearly would have been a KO in sc4, even if it was normal CS. this is just me eyeballing the health bar, dont take it too seriously.

Coil stance removed.

Tago also mentioned making Ivy more accessible and user friendly, what do you guys think of this? For me, one of the reasons that I continue to play Ivy is that she is a deep character with endless possibilities, and it always takes a while to discover everything she has to offer.

Also: Some traditional CL/WP moves seem to be accessible from SW. Sc2 style ivy incoming?

Link for those who haven't seen it: http://comic-con.gamespot.com/video...ew-with-producer-tago-san?tag=topslot;thumb;2

Edit: There is no evidence yet that Ivy can use meter to turn a normal throw into CS, only SS. Edited my post to reflect this.

I posted this in other threads about Ivy game play. Make this thread will be merged with some other thread or the title will be renamed to game play speculation.

Very interesting point about the meter changing a normal grab in to SS.

------------
SS and CS come from SW. SS now has Ivy normal Throw start animation(Due to the meter). CS now has SS throw start animation. They seem to do the same damage in SC4. Her normal B grab seem to do a bit more damage.

She has a new attack after CL 33B. 214B still has big side step it now come from SW.

CL is now remove. She is going back to her SW and WP stance like in SC3. I think it a good thing cause CL looked weird. Her side stepping seem to be very good. Maybe not as good as SC4 CL stepping, but similar to SC4 SW stepping.

One thing that is very troubling is that they might make Ivy easier to use. I really hope not, Ivy should always be a very difficult character to use. That what make her so fun.

No offence guys but if Ivy becomes really easy to play you can count me among the haters, and I wanted to try her until I've heard she might not be as complex.

I'm ambivalent about Ivy becoming more accessible to other players. On the one hand, it would be great to have a bunch of players adding and discovering new things to the Ivy forum, yet, on the other hand, especilally for those of us who have used Ivy since SC2, I'm not sure I want a bunch of bandwagon jumpers. Speaking honestly, I don't like SC4 Ivy. I actually don't think she's that difficult to play in this iteration of the game, so if the designers are making her even easier to play, then I think the lure of her "technical nature" may disappear altogether. It has already done so for me.

Anyway, I had a feeling that the game would return to something closer to SC3 (well, I that was my hope for the series, anyway). It's good to see that both command throws are accessible from one stance. It was outstanding to see that CS and SS had similar start up animations. That should be really helpful. If there is a return to SC3 for Ivy, what I hope does not return is a lack of fast mid attacks to punish those players who loved to duck. I think SC4 Ivy has much better tools to deal with players who duck thatn SC3 Ivy. It is my hope that she continues to have those things. Her step seemed to be pretty good in this video. This (her step) was one of Ivy's best features in SC3. I hope that will be the case in SC5 as well. Now if we can just get 22K available in each stance and the SC3 3k and 3K (in each stance), then we Ivy players can get even more excited. Don't get me wrong, her new design alone is enough to inspire even a jaded player like me to play again, but I like what has been shown...

We shouldn't rush in to conclusion right now. Cause we don't know exactly what they'er going to do to make Ivy "easier". Do they mean make attacking inputs easier. Or make her commands throws easier. Make her ability to space easier.Or Her poke game stronger.

If they are going to make attacking inputs easier like instead of A+K inputs they make it an A input, I think most people can tolerate that. But that it. If they make anything else "easier" to do she will become boring. And like 350 was saying, to many people will use Ivy.

On a side note Ivy has scared alot of people.

Russell won't be able to save anyone. Hes right now recovering from the 3rd degree burns that Ivy game him.

I don't know what to think of this.

From what I see, this time there will be no more classic CS/SS command throws with a difficult input... I think Project Soul will make them Ivy's critical gauge attacks, they will replace normal throws and it's gonna be 50/50 mixup (as we could see, she changed SS into CS) I don't like this idea, it's gonna be too simple for me.

Also I can see that there is some BD resemblence, WP 4A+B,B isn't a NC just like in BD.

Also, please change the title of this thread into Ivy SCIV->SCV changes or something.

From what I see, this time there will be no more classic CS/SS command throws with a difficult input... I think Project Soul will make them Ivy's critical gauge attacks, they will replace normal throws and it's gonna be 50/50 mixup (as we could see, she changed SS into CS) I don't like this idea, it's gonna be too simple for me.

Yes this would be terrible. What make CS/SS so enjoyable, not matter how many time I see it, is because of executing the inputs in the first place. If they make it where you have to build up the meter and then press the critical gauge button to do the throw, it will be lame.

The other thing about WP 4A+B, B not be a combo, is maybe due to Mistu being crouch and too far. If you look closely you see when Ivy pull her sword back for the second B, but the last hit of 4A+B doesn't connect, and Mistu was able to recover.

Yes this would be terrible. What make CS/SS so enjoyable, not matter how many time I see it, is because of executing the inputs in the first place. If they make it where you have to build up the meter and then press the critical gauge button to do the throw, it will be lame.
I agree completely. Funny, remember how we said earlier that we would like to see only SW and WP? Maybe they are reading us after all.

The other thing about WP 4A+B, B not be a combo, is maybe due to Mistu being crouch and too far. If you look closely you see when Ivy pull her sword back for the second B, but the last hit of 4A+B doesn't connect, and Mistu was able to recover.
To me it seemed like in BD but I hope you're right. That was one of the weirdest changes I have seen in the PSP version: to nerf a move that already is terrible. If only they made it the way it was in SC2... (not damage but the cancel and UB mixup)

Strange, SS used meter but CS didn't...?

Wonder what the second stance will be. If Sword's the first stance then I hope the second will be really flashy, like one of the twirls from SC2. Hope it's not something like SE that'll hinder her movement and blocking ability.

Actually now that I look at SS again, it really looks like it does pathetic damage in that demo. probably like 60.

I hope this isn't them trying to make SS a more user-friendly move (yay now I can pick up Soul Calibur and use Ivy's super grab without practicing!) and making it a useless move for us competitive players. I don't see how spending meter for a 5-10 damage increase on my throw is worth it.

Actually now that I look at SS again, it really looks like it does pathetic damage in that demo. probably like 60.

I hope this isn't them trying to make SS a more user-friendly move (yay now I can pick up Soul Calibur and use Ivy's super grab without practicing!) and making it a useless move for us competitive players. I don't see how spending meter for a 5-10 damage increase on my throw is worth it.
That's true. SS does like 60dmg and CS is 70 or 75 dmg maybe. We don't know yet how gauge attacks work, but just before CS she did old CL 33BBB into a Critical gauge attack that seemed to be guaranteed on block. Maybe her throws (when speding meter) are unbreakable then?

What exactly do they mean when they say "accessible"? If by "accessible" they mean that you don't have to practice CS/SS and perfect it without investing some time in it ( and busting your left thumb ), then I am against it. If that SS/CS damage ratio is indicative of things to come then I hope they reconsider it. And I can see that I am not alone when it comes to this matter.

Look, I hope they realize that most people who play Ivy take the time to practice and learn her moves. That is what makes Ivy special. Even an average or casual Ivy player spends more time learning her moves compared to another average or casual player who plays another character. So much more for those who use her on tourneys.

SS and CS come from SW. SS now has Ivy normal Throw start animation(Due to the meter). CS now has SS throw start animation.

Every time I've seen SS in video - it's just been buffered really fast. Looks like it still needs WP to do though. Her hand flashes like it used to when she changed stance before she "uses it out of SW."

I really can't get used to watching CS with SS start up animation...
Maybe it's just still in development (animation wise).

I actually don't get what they mean by saying she'll be easier to use. SC as a fighter is not that hard input wise, so I don't think it'll be a good thing If they make it easier. Not to mention that pulling of something "hard" gives another feeling when playing. If they take this away they better give us something else.

official gameplay of natsu, more ivy, and zwei​

thanks to HRD.​

trailer starts at around 5:00​

i hear ivy talk everywhere so i thought this belongs here.​

changes that i noticed are the last hit of SE B 6B 4B JF having GB like it did in previous SC titles (hurray)​

WP 3B now is performed in SW (duh) but has a reverse launch. i cant tell if its entering SE though, my eyes suck. it always did so i guess it does​

I'm not sure how I feel about Ivy being "easier".. (Dumbing her down so buttonmashers can do something cool while jackingoff their controller? Gee, thanks..) I'd assume there'll be a LOT more people using her for many reasons..
She's got a wicked-ass Critical edge;
She's pretty much top-tier, from what I've heard, I don't know tiers;
And she's a smokin' babe; <-Fer realz.

It with what we've seen, which as far as I know is only Sword state, I'm not too upset with the changes to her style so far. Even if we don't get total control over her states, like we did in SC4 for the most part, it seems as though we'll still be able to pull off nice combos, or random jabs 'cause whoever was playing suuuuucked. However, I'm sure I'll like her less if it returns to SC2-type style where you switch to whip and are limited to a few moves before being forced back into Sword state. I loved SC4 because you could switch through the states mid-attack, allowing more unique combos.

--I'm kind of upset that they didn't have ONE Critical Edge with Ivy where you could see the entire damage. At 15:50, she does one where he's in the green, and it looks like she'd hit 2-5+? times after he's dead.. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back