Ivy's Top-10 Moves

it's true. There's a weird phenomenon where as you learn iCS you use it a LOT but as you become more experienced you use it less. Not that it's bad, but it's difficult to utilize properly. iCS is almost more of a fear tool, if the opponent knows you can not only do it, but can use it effectively you suddenly have a plethora of mind games to access, B grab being a huge one. Although iCS is still hot as hell when you're abusing it's deceptively long range for anti step.

Would somebody explain to me where they find WP 66B especially useful? I'm aware of the combo but in range I prefer to downshift into CL1BB+K 66A mixup...
Is there something I'm missing at all?

This move has great properties and can be used in various ways: SG damage (10 to CF), tech trap (catches all but one side), anti-SS tool (can be stepped to one side only), being i19 fits the post-GI mixup window, it's almost safe against most characters (-12~13 depending on range) and the combo always ends with additional mixup (CL 1B,B+K stun into something) or RO. They nerfed it in BD of course =/ in SC3 the move was launching the opponent on NH into SE BBB or SE 5hit JF or RO cannon.

The only problem with this move is that it's in WP. Due to lack of frame advantages in WP it's almost impossible to use it as a frame trap, and If it wasn't for Whip's terrible movement (backdash and step) this move would have been a great whiff punisher. It's still very good, though.

In no particular order:
1. CL 1BB+K
2. CL 66A
3. CL A+B~etc
4. SW FC 3B
5. SW 3B
6. SW 1K~etc
7. SW 66K
8. Summon Suffering/ Calamity Symphony
9. WP 3A
10. WP 6B+K2*8
Of course there are just a ton of other great moves with Ivy, these just stick out to me the most...
Oh yeah! Boobs...

I don't think that her command throws should be in her top 10.
Before I get flamed, let me explain:
ICS and SS whilst having great damage and Oki, are not something that you can rely on 100%, by which I mean sure they can kill idiots in a heartbeat, but no high level player is reliant on them working - what they are useful for however is fear, people facing WP are more susceptible to A throws and SW equally, if not even more to B throws.
I would define any top 10 move as a move that has great rewards, multiple uses and can always be relied on in the right situation - eg. SW BB. iCS and SS to me are there to scare people at mid-high level, not so much to kill them.
For example - do you see Malek abusing iCS against tough opponents? Not often.
Do you see him abusing the shit out of WP 6B+K_WP 6B+K2_8? A lot.

Anyways, back on topic... Kind of:
I'm not going to do a Top 10, I'm going to do a top 3 for me personally in each stance. (Not SE - I don't like it XD)
SW
1: 9B - Anybody else noticed this is the easiest move to land on CH in all of existence? Good interrupt, kills backstep, TJ and nice wakes post CH.
2: BB - Great SG damage, NC - good poke, very good for pressure, especially by a wall.
3: 22_88 K - it's about as reactable as Voldos BS 1A ie. Fucking difficult to react to, isn't catastrophically unsafe and leads to great Okizeme with good damage. Not to mention it catches step.
Honorable mentions: The rest of SW's moveset XD.
CL
1: 1BB+K - Total no brainer, great frames, difficult to evade in a fight, good range, good SG damage, NC, good damage, great options on block, able to trans into WP, SW or stay in coiled - GODLIKE move!
2: 66A - Kills step like a bitch, great range, covers a lot of ground - nobody wants to eat this.
3: 214(B) - Constant fear of this move when at advantage causes opponents offense to become either predictable or cautious, either suits Ivy and if used occasionally it is a lifesaver - nobody shouldn't use this!
WP
1: 6B+K2_8 - best keepout/respacing move EVER! I've seen people win with this and like two moves, it is THAT good. 6B+K mixup with 6B+K2_8 on whiff at mid range still gives people headaches. Overall, dirty dirty move, I love it!
2: 3A - kills step, tricky to punish due to low blockstun, reasonably fast for WP, deceptive range.
3: 22_88B, Great range, on hit gives the infamous ring out cannon at close range.

This move has great properties and can be used in various ways: SG damage (10 to CF), tech trap (catches all but one side), anti-SS tool (can be stepped to one side only), being i19 fits the post-GI mixup window, it's almost safe against most characters (-12~13 depending on range) and the combo always ends with additional mixup (CL 1B,B+K stun into something) or RO. They nerfed it in BD of course =/ in SC3 the move was launching the opponent on NH into SE BBB or SE 5hit JF or RO cannon.

The only problem with this move is that it's in WP. Due to lack of frame advantages in WP it's almost impossible to use it as a frame trap, and If it wasn't for Whip's terrible movement (backdash and step) this move would have been a great whiff punisher. It's still very good, though.
Lol - that'll teach me to question good moves XD
Thanks for the explanation - I'll have to use it more now. :)

@Synraii:
Can't you sneak either throw in from CL stance??? Well I'm no good with her throws, and its known about how much fear it instills in aware players, but in perfection its a 80+ dmg grab option that kills step and has phantom range (especially SS)...
If there was a list of top 10 moves that 95% of GREAT Ivy players could agree on, then CS and SS just have to be on there, but lets leave it to them, its just tough to imagine her signature throws not on the list...
@Dand0:
Thanks for the fix, bud... ;)

@Synraii:
Can't you sneak either throw in from CL stance??? Well I'm no good with her throws, and its known about how much fear it instills in aware players, but in perfection its a 80+ dmg grab option that kills step and has phantom range (especially SS)...
If there was a list of top 10 moves that 95% of GREAT Ivy players could agree on, then CS and SS just have to be on there, but lets leave it to them, its just tough to imagine her signature throws not on the list...
@Dand0:
Thanks for the fix, bud... ;)
While you can sneak either throw through CL, you have to buffer it through a block so it's only useful as a punish option really...
IMO, a top 10 move should be able to consistently be a factor which decides a match, the command throws don't do that - what they give is a mental advantage.
That's just me though - I still spam them regardless XD

It's a glitch. While in CL, you must press and hold both [A+K] and [B+K], that way she won't change the stance. Now do the command throw motion and release one of the buttons (B+K for SS, A+K for CS). So when you release A+K for example, the B+K you are still holding down is immediately activated and Ivy switches to Sword. If you want CS from CL the motion looks like this [A+K][B+K]3214391[release A+K]A+G.

Welcome to Ivy SA. It's been known for a year xD you can find it in CS/SS info thread.

That is REALLY embarrassing considering I use her with Kilik as a secondary ~_~
That said, no wonder I never learned it - I play her on stick nowadays, so it's almost impossible to do for me XD

Yes, it's very impractical. If I remember correctly this is impossible to do without button binds, it's difficult on pad so I can't even imagine how this works on arcade stick.

I just gave it a go, unsuccessfully - I use a four above, four below format with one bind, so I can't see myself pulling this in a clutch XD
If you're wondering about my setup:
A B K A+B+K+G
G G G G

I cheat on JUKEs XD

I think it's possible without button binds for stick players. The motion for the CS in CL would be something like that [A+B+K]3214391[release A]A+G.
It's quite hard but it should work.

Back