Kayane's CPU Impressions & Videos From Italy

Recently, Kayane was invited by Namco Bandai Games to come to Italy for an interview by an Italian newspaper and to play Soulcalibur V, where she recorded videos of her gameplay against CPU opponents. The videos should give you a better idea of what the characters are capable of as well as to demonstrate the improvements that were made to the AI.

I also asked Kayane a few questions about her recent trip and about Soulcalibur V. I would also like to congratulate Kayane for becoming a member of the eLive pro team. You can click here for more details about that announcement.

Me: Where in Italy did this interview take place?
Kayane: It took place in Milan at Namco Bandai Office. I had the meeting room with Soul Calibur V for me :-)
blank.gif
I could play in a big screen, loud sound and a fighting stick, paradise!

Me: How come you only played against the CPU while you were there? Were the people there scared to play you?
Kayane: I asked several times to play with people from Namco but they didn't want to try, maybe because they had work. But they really enjoyed watching me playing some matches.
blank.gif

Me: Did you play Broken Destiny? If so, how does the AI in BD compare to the AI in SCV? Do you feel that it's the same or have been improved in SCV?
Kayane: Yes I have already played SC BD, actually I think they made more efforts again to make the CPU more intelligent and more human like. Especially since now there is a critical edge bar, the CPU is able to manage it well, saving meter to use it at good moments only (different from SSFIV CPU which uses Ultra anytime it has bar whereas there is non sense to use it). You don't have the impression to play against a CPU but a real person.

Me: Did you use any of Natsu while you were there?
Kayane: I used Natsu sometimes, but I was really more focused on Leixia. I saw some Natsu commands changed from the previous Demo. So the developers are still working on the command list. I think that Natsu is more fun to watch than Leixia thanks to her illusions that are very stylish and impressive.

Me: How do you like Leixia so far? Was there any reason for only using Leixia in these videos? Do you prefer Leixia over Xianghua so far or would rather have seen Xianghua remain in the game?
Kayane: I really like Leixia's style, it looks like Xianghua's but it's different. It's more focused on feints than X used to be. She also has longer range but her lows are more difficult to do since you have to be on 8wayrun for old 1A, 1K.

I especially played Leixia because I wanted to be used to this new "Xianghua" in this new SC. But I could play some Viola and Ezio fastly. I would have prefered Xianghua than Leixia, since she's my character since I was 7. But Leixia looks like exactly Xianghua so i'm ok.
blank.gif
I prefered Xianghua's voice though lol!

Me: Are you solely going to be using Leixia in SCV or will you still be using Leixia and Natsu?
Kayane: I'm thinking to main Leixia and Natsu as my second character. But I want to see more about Viola who looks very interesting. She has a lot of pressure thanks to her orb, and she is fast thanks to her claws. It's very interesting! So I may use her too.

Article
YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the questions Malice and thanks for the answers Kayane. I loved the videos and I can't wait to see what CPU vs. CPU will be like.

P.S. You are getting really good with Leixia, Kayane! :)

after watching all her vids against the CPU the only weakness I found by far is that after Lexia's WR A+B or whatever the CPU pauses when Lexia is about to do a low follow up.

Lol, Viola and 'interesting' have pretty much been always used in the same sentence.

Thanks for doing this Malice, and thanks for the info Kayane. Looking forward to seeing how you do with yoursel... I mean, Leixia! Haha. =p

Thanks Kayane for the videos, because I'm also picking up Leixia as soon as I get SC5!~ :)

I noticed something that bugged me, and it has nothing to do with the gameplay, just a little aesthetic. You know how Nightmare's face in SC4 was just "plastered on", and it never blinked or moved whatsoever? Well, right after Leixia performed her CE on Nightmare, as he fell to the ground, his eyes were still open. It's like he's turned on by pain. o__e
As opposed to him, all the others had their normal "pain" expressions. This is just a little thing I found. xD

I like this AI. It doesn't seem to throw random moves like SCIV and it doesn't seem to overpower certain characters (Setsuka, Kratos) like in SC:BD.

The AI is looking much improved, I'm happy. Thanks to Kayane and Malice for the interview and videos, which I thoroughly enjoyed watching.

Glad to see Raph doing so well, too.

I want broken AI! so I really can consider my self practicing when I play against CPU!! I want the CPU to do extreme hard combos and reflexes!!

The AI has come a long way. I expected that after Broken Destiny, the same human-like AI would carry over.

Mostly what I've used AI for in the past was to see how I should play the game or how I should play when using a certain character; looking at the ZWEI video, you get a great idea of how he attacks.

I do wish that the AI used meter (for CE, for GI, etc.) more. The gauge is the most foreign and new concept in SCV's system, so it would help if the AI served as an example of how to manage the gauge.

I'd also like to see them pull off Just Guard, or at least some more creative defensive moves. Like franman mentioned, after Leixia's WR A+B, the low guard break was always blocked-- I think a good defensive player would've GI'd, JG'd, or jumped over it by the third time Leixia tried using that attack string.

Question for Kayane: You have played against very good Nightmares before. In SCIV when you fought Nightmare, it was good to use 2A to interrupt his stance attacks. Is 2A still good against Nightmare's stances? I noticed in the video that you traded hits against him sometimes, or his attack from stance beat your attack and became a counter-hit.

I'm happy that CPU now will not use guard impact as a bitch at any attack you do since now cost you soul gauge yesterday I was playing Time attack Extreme in Soulcalibur II and by now I understand why Namco change the mode to use guard impacts,this CPU looks more natural and not like the old one, thank you Kayane and Namco!

Thank you again Malice, and I'm happy the videos are appreciated :)

Concerning Nightmare's face, Namco said before if i remember well that they want to make realistic facial expressions. :) So you may see well :)

Microgamer : I have played a lot against a very good Nightmare in France : Keev. So i'm very used to do 2A every time on his stances to interrupt him. But here as you can see, I couldn't interrupt him because his moves push too far compared to SC4...so Nightmare is safer !

Well, as long as the AI isn't like 3. Ughh, the horrible cheaty AI (Non-Voldo can block with their back turned) is the onlything that stopped 3 from easily having the best SP.

Wow they really made Raphael a BEAST in this game!! He was always my second to Setsuka, But if she doesn't come back, he just got promoted to my main!

Back