Message to Namco

scvn80

[08] Mercenary
Sorry to post this message here but I don't find any where to post my message to send to Namco. If anyone read this, please help me by sending this message to Namco. Thank you very much.

Introduce:

I'm a fan of Soul series from Soul Edge 1998 to present.
9+ years software engineer.
Maybe I will become Game designer in the future :D

Game trend:
ZSNES : snes emulator, with netplay feature for online play.
GGPO : free network for arcade and some other fighting games ( platform) for everyone plays online

In near future, PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) Soulcalibur 2 will be play online similar to ZSNES, GGPO.

Why does Namco follow this trend and go freemium business model ?

If I had a brain and drive to be a game designer, I guess I'd try to network to get close to them? To be frank, the question should be "how can I schedule a face to face interview with them?"

I mean if you've spent 9+ years just to post this, don't you think that's just a waste of time for you?

On my spare time, I'm an amateur film maker wanna-be who makes fan made Soul Calibur films. lol. But really, if you're a software programmer I could use your help. What do you know how to do?

On my spare time, I'm an amateur film maker wanna-be who makes fan made Soul Calibur films. lol. But really, if you're a software programmer I could use your help. What do you know how to do?

The two of you could make a fan made SC game to make certain match-ups possible.

Freemium model doesn't mean release game and let player play for free. Too much MMORPG use freemium business model.
Let player play for free and sell in game gear, character, other high quality benefit. Everyone know play for free can make game community very fast. If a game doesn't have good community, that game will be forgot soon (Virtual Fighter, Street fighter is an good example)
- League of Legend, DOTA2 is an clear example. They sell character, character model and some other (carry animal etc..)
- Namco also sell character model but it is not effective
- Granado Espada sells chance to upgrade gear, chance to get good character and
- Some Card battle sells chance to get better char, gear (Gasha = random chance ). Everyone knows that sell chance to get better char, gear is a good methods to get big revenue but it seems that only Namco don't know. But this methods cause game imbalance -> fewer newbie join and non challenge factor for this type of game.
- WoW is payment per month (15$/month), they sell game content ( new race, new mission, quest)

Solution for Namco (posted some where):
- Namco can sell high quality network service or VIP network service. Player pay to buy time online at these high quality bandwidth server & find opponent to challenge. Each time player online, system decrease player online time.
- 1 server for each country, too easy for Namco or Namco can split region, similar to Blizzard. Asia, European region, US,UK etc...
- Network quality : I play Counter Strike (FPS) online everyday in my country (no lagging & excellent network quality for online play) , if Counter Strike can play online -> Soul can play too.
- 15$/ per month is too little, even normal worker in China and some developing countries can pay.
- And find more things to sell to player.

Very Important for Design team: But if Namco want to make Soul series more popular, Namco have to design real cash flow for viewer, watcher, gamler, Soulcalibur player, Namco = producer . After design this, Soul will become popular naturally.

Finally, everything depend on Namco business strategy. Namco owns the unique combat system in the world. (very attractive even for non Soul fan).
- Why does Namco think about Soulcalibur Multiplayer online Battle Arena (MOBA) , a real time action MOBA game. Smite, Land of Chaos is developing this game.
- My suggestion : Soulcalibur combat system + Soulcalibur Legend + some system changes + good monetization = Success Soulcalibur action MOBA game.

---> All Soulcalibur fan can shows their skills in a real challenging match

1. When I watch WoW team match -> so amature.
- Blizzard is starting to attack action game. Blizzard outcast 1/4/2014 is a message . I bet Blizard aim to action MOBA game rather than ton of DOTA liked game.
- If Namco lets Blizzard go first and takes this market, Namco will be completed defeated

2. C9 combat system -> good combat system, but it likes 2 cows butting each other butting each other, 3D movement system but moving is not a key factor to win
3. Samurai Showdown : 2D fighting game, SS4,5 is a good design, attractive fight for viewer but 2D only 2D game, too much limited

Others:
- Square soft release Final Fantasy 3d movie, Blizzard prepare to release World of Warcraf 3D movie. What does Namco do now ?

Last edited:
Geez... Why does Onyx have to be so negative, and aggressive about a guy's opinions on games? Lol.

I agree with @scvn80, the fact that parodies to successful games generally are successful as well.

The biggest problem being that not THAT many people actually play fighting games when compared to how well first person shooters, MMORPGs, RPGs, and racing games sell. So making parodies of games that roughly sell 600K aren't going to be successful...

Soul Calibur as a series has SO MUCH more potential than just a fighting game and tournaments. As casuals make up the mass majority of SC5 purchases, making SC RPGs or side story based games like they did for Ninja Gaiden inspired from a DOA fighting game character did, it would be successful!

@ The game developer argument.... Pfft... Being a game developer sucks, you go bankrupt all the time, publishers pull your licenses for games, or just cancel them randomly, or your studio gets shut down randomly due to poor game sales... xDDD

This is the trend that many companies are going towards. If and when that day comes, fuck it I'm out. It's been a good ride gaming and I'm glad I have saved all my stuff from previous generations. You have no soul anymore, and I just can fucks with that.

I'm sorry because I'm telling something you don't want to hear. But no one want to hear the truth. I'm a Soul fan, I want Soul more and more popular for playing, definite not for finding a job, I don't want to gamer tend to play other games while after many years Soul fan doesn't increase.

Fighting games and MOBAs are completely different markets
Fighting games and MOBAs is different market now, but in the future, it will combine into 1 market.

Example:
C9 = RPG + FPS + Fighting(melee combat) : RPG fan + FPS fan+ Fighting fan
Warcraft 3 = Warcraft2(RTS) + RPG: RTS fan + RPG fan.

When I played Warcraft 3 on battle.net, I often saw the number of online player ~ 50.000 and online match ~ 100.000. So, competitive game has many potentials compare with entertainment game.

So you're saying that because of all the differing design choices in Soulcalibur over the years, causing different people to like different games more or less, they should make a spin-off in a completely different genre. Not only that, it should be one that appeals to a completely different audience to the one that SC currently has.
Of course, depend on macro strategy. But everything has other side effects.

Each player, you sell box 50$ (Game cost)+ machine cost (~ 200$). But freemium model, player ready to pay more depend on their budget. My friend paid ~1000$ for playing Castle Clash after 3 months , I paid ~500$ after 1 month. Other people don't want to pay, they play with limit features and make bigger game community.

Every one win in this freemium model: Game producer, Paid player & non paid player.

If player plays Soulcalibur 1v1 PvP and they want to change, let them change but changing in our games.

Imagine : If a DOTA player tired of teamwork (because many problems), want to temporary changes, he want to fight 1v1, challenge someone. He go built-in DOTA arena with Soul combat system and get some in game reward (for his archivement, WoW design).

Is it better than playing a separate fighting game just for temporary tired with no any rewards?

Last edited:
Putting Soul Calibur characters in a MOBA will never make me want to play a MOBA. Putting Soul Calibur characters in a fighting game, now I can get behind that.

Soul Calibur excels at being a historically-inspired fantasy 3D fighter. Every time it deviates from that formula, it has failed spectacularly (just look at Legends). Hell, even SCV did poorly compared to other entries in the series because it tried to focus on something at which it wasn't good -narrative- and that didn't sit well with critics or casuals.

This trend of games always gravitating towards the big money is only damaging the industry (and it isn't even working for most developers). Games should do what they do best, not try to emulate Wii Sports or Guitar Hero or CoD or whatever the "next big thing" is. Final Fantasy should be Final Fantasy, Resident Evil should be Resident Evil, and Calibur should be Calibur. If people want to play DOTA or Titanfall, they'll play DOTA or Titanfall, not whatever shitty ripoffs some lazy executive comes up with.

Relevant:

Question since you're a software engineer.

Do you have a history of making mods/create your own games?

If you do have a working mod or game perhaps you can display on Daishi's Twitter or Facebook account.

@franman: I tried making game mod using 3D via virtools, Unreal 3, Unity, Warcraft 3 editor to demonstrate my ideas in 2008,2009.
Unity is the easiest tools based on my experience. But I realized I can't do it alone and I played others game for fun and wait for Soul online, then Soul 4 go online, Soul 5 go online & now Soul 2 go online too.

I rip my favorite char from many games, I found this Chinese sites http://www.cgmodel.cn/ they share free nice model ripping from many games for everyone (amateur or non modeler).

Chinese also develop a tool call gameassasin, it is the most powerful tool for model ripping (3D ripper & others). Valve with Steam knows this trend and they're selling character models of wellknown game now (I think American always go ahead any others and they always rich) Ripping from game or download from anysite or modelling by themself and sell-> easy moneys.

I know that developing a wellknown game title as Soulcalibur takes many years and huge amount of investment. But if we develop the core Soulcalibur combat system (Soul fan easy knows Soul combat merchanic) by team with 20,30 developer , my time estimation is ~ 1 years (I dont' have any real Project manager experience)

Most fighting game mechanic public at this site http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Main_Page
But they don't have any Soul series experience.

My question (only my question, please don't think any side effect)
1. What happen if Valve or Blizzard or Square has Soulcalibur series mechanic ?
2. Does European, American and people in other developed countries love to see an attractive fighting match? Yes, Mike Tyson, Holyfield boxer is an example. MMA TV channel, kickbox and some other name I don't remember yet.
3. Does Chinese (>1 billion population), Indian (>1 billion population) and people in other developing countries love to see an attractive fighting match? Yes, Jet Li, Jackichan, Bruce Lee, Chuong Tu Di is well known Chinese Kungfu actors

1. Far chance that will ever happen. NB holds the assets and IP, I would very much doubt they would ever sell to Western company or even Square-Enix unless downright bought out from them.

2. I have no idea what you mean by "attractive fighting match".. in context of gaming? or general?

3. Since 2000, China has officially banned video game consoles. They have only recently lifted that ban (temporarily) as of this year 2014. I do not know the statistics of console sales in India or other countries. But again your question is referring to "attractive fighting match" which I don't get from #2.

Anyways, what does any of this have to do with Soul Calibur? Are you just inferring a game that just features people's favorite characters? A fighter's mega-mix so to speak? In the past there were attempts to make games featuring characters from various titles even based on a non-fighting genre like an RPG i.e. Namco x Capcom, but they weren't considered smashing successes and in many cases too niche to consider export outside of Japanese markets.

I think your rationale and thinking oversimplifies what it takes to make a video game successful. But as you stated you don't have any experience from project management perspective. ROI (Return on Investment) is one of the biggest considerations in undertaking any project whether it be videogames or any other market and along with that the timetable and schedule to deliver after negotiated contract. There's a big capital investment i.e. (worker salaries, logistics, marketing, advertising, etc.) all the while no guarantee that the market will "bite" once its ready for delivery and make a profit (let alone break even). So it's calculated risk and company executives (shareholders, project asset allocaters, etc.) need to plan wisely and accordingly otherwise there's no point to making the game to begin with.

Anyways, you're wasting your time trying to explain your intentions here because no one at Namco will be reading this - lol. If you feel passionate, you should try to pitch them directly or apply for a job directly with them (and I wish you best of luck dealing with corporate politics as that's another topic entirely in the business world). This is a fan site for hardcore and casual players. I don't think there will be much real beneficial discussion trying to deliberate the business models of selling a Soul Calibur game here.

In the meantime, it be far more beneficial to try to enrich this community with your creative ideas in support of Soul Calibur. All too often, I just see too many people who come onto this board and just complain or think they know better, or how to make better video game. blah blah blah.... If you have the skills, create a fan-made game, mod, video, art, project what have you. You may not make any money (and you really can't unless you want to answer to a bunch of lawyers) but you will certainly have the SC community's appreciation.

Last edited:
@franman: I tried making game mod using 3D via virtools, Unreal 3, Unity, Warcraft 3 editor to demonstrate my ideas in 2008,2009.
Unity is the easiest tools based on my experience. But I realized I can't do it alone and I played others games for fun and wait for Soul online, then Soul 4 go online, Soul 5 go online & now Soul 2 go online too.
Then I would suggest what a friend of mine suggested me to do. Get recruits, or join someone else's mod team.

Have you look at sites such as ModDB? It's a mod site where ppl as for recruits, you can do same if you want or you can join mod team.

Furthermore, have you looked at Kickstarter? I hear you can get your gaming projects publicized and got those of interest and possibly more in the long run to donate $$$ to your project so you can "kick start" your game-in-progress.

Everyone in this thread and their feminine minds are wrong.

Soul Calibur needs more boobs to make more money.

Then I would suggest what a friend of mine suggested me to do. Get recruits, or join someone else's mod team.

Have you look at sites such as ModDB? It's a mod site where ppl as for recruits, you can do same if you want or you can join mod team.

Furthermore, have you looked at Kickstarter? I hear you can get your gaming projects publicized and got those of interest and possibly more in the long run to donate $$$ to your project so you can "kick start" your game-in-progress.
My plan is making a demo for my project. But I won't plan to make a fighting game better than Soul. I plan to find some one interest in Action + MOBA . You can see this Nightmare in SC3 intro video.
I fell so exciting if I can play as this Nightmare in a this MOBA match.

Why do I want to make action(Soul combat system and some improvement) + MOBA game ?
1st reason : I want to play that game, If Namco makes that game, I play. If Namco don't make, I will find a way to make that Action MOBA game. Hope that everyone here can play that game

I saw Namco SC2 intro video, simple combine Soulcalibur Legend + Soul series => that MOBA game. Namco already have everything in their hand.

I'm still collecting Unity experience & I will send my ideas to Namco. Hope that they will interest in my ideas.

1. Far chance that will ever happen. NB holds the assets and IP, I would very much doubt they would ever sell to Western company or even Square-Enix unless downright bought out from them.

2. I have no idea what you mean by "attractive fighting match".. in context of gaming? or general?

3. Since 2000, China has officially banned video game consoles. They have only recently lifted that ban (temporarily) as of this year 2014. I do not know the statistics of console sales in India or other countries. But again your question is referring to "attractive fighting match" which I don't get from #2.
@skytoast : China & India is developing coutries, average yearly income of peoples from 1000 - 2000$ ( don't remember exactly), so 200$ for console + 20$ for SC2 HD online is a huge wasting for most of people in developing countries. Only freemium model is approriate for developing countries. Rich people ready to pay 5000,10000, even 100.000$ for their character, because this is social characteristics in developing countries. This is real information.

Finally, thanks everyone reads this thread and discuss with me

Sorry but it's funny to read posts like these from a month ago now that the f2p card game has been announced.

Geez... Why does Onyx have to be so negative, and aggressive about a guy's opinions on games? Lol.

I agree with @scvn80, the fact that parodies to successful games generally are successful as well.

The biggest problem being that not THAT many people actually play fighting games when compared to how well first person shooters, MMORPGs, RPGs, and racing games sell. So making parodies of games that roughly sell 600K aren't going to be successful...

Soul Calibur as a series has SO MUCH more potential than just a fighting game and tournaments. As casuals make up the mass majority of SC5 purchases, making SC RPGs or side story based games like they did for Ninja Gaiden inspired from a DOA fighting game character did, it would be successful!

@ The game developer argument.... Pfft... Being a game developer sucks, you go bankrupt all the time, publishers pull your licenses for games, or just cancel them randomly, or your studio gets shut down randomly due to poor game sales... xDDD
The ninja gaiden series and ryu hayabusa as a character existed long before DOA. The original ninja gaiden is an old NES game.

Back