Mitsurugi General Discussion and Q&A

Mitsu has a couple of great spacing tools like his 6B series... In addition, 66A+B can be canceled into a fake, and 33_66_99B is good for whiff punishing from mid to far range, though if you commit to the second hit, be careful as it is highly punishable.

Yeah the problem I am having is I cant get close to nightmare without getting punked. Mitsu 6b series is good but if whiffed he gets crushed. The 66 a+b fake I have used, but it still leaves him open or in a position to get pushed right back out of range. I tried 4kb but again it doesnt cover much ground. I just changed my control scheme to give me better JG potential. I am gonna work on defense.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/feel-my-wrath-mitsurugi-matchup-thread.11033/
Have you went to this thread yet? Study! =P

Don't forget that though Nightmare is strong, he is an unsafe character once he commits to his faster attacks while in stance - and can be punish.

A bit of things to note.

-For stuff like during GS A which is aGI , try countering with 2A. Its unsafe on block so you can try punish that with BB too.

BE Moves

-The second hits of his 33B BE , you can step to left and punish with 236(B)

-GS K BE, 4K BE can duck and punish with 4KB and 236B respectively

Yeah, I just spent 2 hrs in training mode going over Nightmares moves. I know nightmare up and down. Its just the Whiff punishment from across the stage is eating me up inside. Its just easy for Nightmares to stay half way across the stage and hit you with bull. And dont try to pick a small stage. Cuz then his wall combos will destroy you. I had 60 % Health, got caught in a wall combo.and just put the control ler down, cuz it was over.

What I generally do is to stay within Mitsu's range capabilities, and force NM to whiff his spacing tools. Get in closer. You must focus on not whiffing against him. He sucks at block punishing so take advantage of that - don't be afraid to throw out a couple of unsafe moves - while being careful of his TC moves like GS, and aGI moves like A+B and GS A.

His GS A does not GI HORIZONTAL ATTACKS. 4A will beat a predicted GS A almost all the time. The move is also -16 on block, which you get a free 236B or BE version every time he uses this move. Not to mention that when they use GS A, it's a high move so duck and 236B away since it can be done from FC.

Nice extra bits of info to know. I just figured out some stuff through trial and error against a ton of Nightmares both decent and bad.

I'd say my worst matchup would be Leixia/Xiba and I don't know why. I played Xiba for a while and play against Leixia sparingly, but somehow, I still seem to lose to their gimmicks.

I just have to get better at getting in my range against nightmare and hilde. Gotta do my best not to whiff. At this point everytime I make him block and not whiff him it is a success

They can't punish me worth shit, but I fall for their stupid shit (ONLINE). I played some offline matches and was getting perfects left and right.

I hate getting grabbed when I was doing 2KB BE. how does that even work? 2K hasn't even come out yet but I should be TC at that point when the animation already changed to crouching position.

Back