Most Esteemed One-Shot Contest Thread.

KING OF HEARTS
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png.jpg

Oh, and the usual deadline for entries is two weeks from the first post. So if @HolyCarp doesn't mind, let's set the date for Saturday, September 27.

If there are any last-minute entries, now's the time to get them in, as the deadline is the 27th! I have just one more, myself...

Ace of Hearts

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png

I was also gonna follow in @brucege's footsteps and make the 8 of Diamonds, but I wasn't quite happy with what I came up with and couldn't work out how to improve the design. Though I'll share the concept nonetheless:

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png

With a bit of tweaking, she could probably be the Queen of Diamonds, but ah well.

Last edited:
So does voting start today?
Well it's pretty much midnight for me, so yeah., sure
[notice]Voting starts today and ends in 7 days. You have until Saturday 4th October and I'll tally up the votes on the 5th (if I forget, someone remind me or do it for me haha).

Remember you're voting for your favourite individual CaS, not the artist.[/notice]

Leggo!

My vote goes @brucege 7 of Diamonds
It is simply, perfect for the theme, is haunting and well placed, everything about it stands when compared to the rest, by the simplicity mixed with complexity, it is original and unique on its own accord.

Runner Ups-
@Gauntlet that crown. ever so elegant.
@HolyCarp that Joker, it drips your watermark.

Everyone good job, it was nice to see everyone at they maximum,

Right, since I set the challenge, I wanted to review all the entries, so here goes...

@Gauntlet's King of Spades: I really like how he resembles a rather believable king and that gives him a unique identity outside of simply being the incarnation of a playing card. The armour looks convincing and the crown you crafted is really cool; it fits very well with the overall image. Very nice take on the challenge.

@Gatsu's Ace of Spades: This is everything the Ace of Spades should be. Badass. The armour looks professional and the cloth elements are combined seamlessly with the armour.

@brucege's 7 of Diamonds: Personally, I think this captures the essence of the theme perfectly. I could just imagine a whole group of these otherworldly creatures making up the Diamond suit. I love how you've deformed the jacket using the patch stickers, and you've done so very creatively since you managed to get the red sticker to look like a figure 7. If I were you, I'd have been tempted to make that blue area of her chest black so that the 7 looks more like a 7, but at the same time I love how that black/red/blue design is repeated on her face. Great attention to detail. Plus, the hat is hella stylish.

@FreeMeal's King of Hearts: It looks just like the image on a playing card actually jumped out of the deck and into the real world. This sort of take on the challenge isn't easy to do since it's hard to take the three primary colours, add a shitload of busy and incongruous patterns, and still produce something so coherent. Perfectly executed.

@brucege's King of Hearts: I HAVE NO WORDS.

@Nyte's Jack of Spades: I like how you took the traditional approach with the primary colours but then made it your own. I would have liked to see the Spade theme come through a little stronger, but the regal element is excellent.

@Onyyx's Queen of Hearts: I like the Alice in Wonderland-esque feel she's got going on. Great use of the turtle shell, and the crown/hat thing you crafted is unique and fits nicely with the design. Not sure if I'm a fan of the pauldrons though; you managed to achieve a sinister undertone with the choice of face and make-up, so I'm not convinced that adding spikes was necessary. That's just me though.

@AustinTheGuy's Queen of Hearts: Great to see you managed to craft something just before the deadline! It's definitely a solid concept, but I get the impression you didn't quite manage to give it that last polish to finish the design. I'm not sure if it's just the terrible contrast on my laptop screen, but a slightly more gold shade of gold would probably make her look a little more regal, and I find the boots are slightly too bulky for her thin silhouette. Still, she's not far from being a favourite.

Plenty of great entries, but considering all the above, my vote goes to @brucege for his 7 of Diamonds. The only thing I dislike about this CaS is that I didn't create it!

Last edited:
Alotta hard choices to make this round, but here's my thoughts on all the creations.

@HolyCarp's Joker: One of the top contenders. That troll face is priceless. Is that two halos + a pair of horns for the pupils? Doesn't really get more Joker than that. The heavy armor doesn't quite fit the Jester stereotype as much as I'd have liked, but I love the vibrant colors. Extra props for the bump mapping (lion crest stickers) on pants to extend boots and color match the cape

@Gauntlet's King of Spades: My vote for 1st. A potent combination of technique, aesthetics, and theme. The cape merges effortlessly with the flaps on the chest armor, and the spade sticker fits in perfectly. Almost looks like these pieces were meant for each other. The crown also merges well with the mask and head-guard for another unique combination. I like the bordering effect with the double pocket stickers on the cape too. My one gripe is the bulkiness of the boots. Perhaps you could try minimizing the "calves" body parameter to offset this. Overall, an iconic yet fresh take on the King of Hearts.

@Gatsu's Ace of Spades: He's definitely one of the best-looking creations this round. Detailed like a pro. Notice the blue stripes on the top and bottom of the flag. Those are number one stickers, but the result is so natural that it's easy to overlook. That helmet build is sexy. Another top contender, but the Ace of Spades theme isn't as readily apparent as some of the other candidates.

My 7 of diamonds: I'm glad she's so well-received. There's always been something cold, inhuman, and vaguely sinister about the portraits on the face cards, so she started as a blue-skinned demon. My pencil sketch had her as a magician with that 7 face tattoo and a jacket with a 7-shaped front flap. The top hat obscured too much of the face tattoo though, so I made her a mini-hat instead. The mini-hat's rakish/troll-ish look pushed the rest of the design in that direction for the final product.

@FreeMeal's King of Hearts: Not the prettiest entry, but definitely the most legit. Looks like he just walked right out from the card. Those colors, patterns, and mini-sword are spot on.

My King of Hearts: I was going for a retarded-cute kinda look. So I skewed his eyes on purpose and gave him that cheesy grin. The drape's supposed to look like his actual card. After I made him, something about him just seemed so happy and earnest. Made me wanna cheer him on or wish him happiness for some reason.

@Nyte's Jack of Spades: Love that flashy pattern on the coat. A simple yet effective creation.

@Onyyx's Queen of Hearts: I agree with HolyCarp about the shoulders, but I like the overall design. Nice color balancing. Carrying that black/red/white theme throughout the design with the gold highlights. Great use of the turtle shell to connect the top to the skirt. Lovely little ornament on the hat too. The best part of the design is how the heart motif carries throughout the whole costume with the patterns and equipment.

@HolyCarp's Ace of Hearts: My vote for runner up, but veeery close for first. Thematically complex. I like how the body seems to open up to reveal the heart. Very disturbing yet somehow sexually charged. The blindfold seems to negate her identity and accentuate her v*****lly shaped torso. The flowers could be taken as a symbol of fertility too, contributing to the design's primal appeal. Heart shaped lips ftw too. She's a work of art. Just for fun, you could try putting the heart in its anatomical location and adjusting the rest of the design accordingly.

@AustinTheGuy's Queen of Hearts: That breastplate's very flattering indeed. Cool helmet design too. I think this one has a lot of unrealized potential though. I'm definitely gonna experiment with this concept a little.

This is so hard! If I must vote for one specific creation, my vote goes to @FreeMeal's King of Hearts, but you've all outdone yourselves.

Is this thing on? @Gauntlet, you still need to pick a subject.
Seems Gauntlet's bailed on us. But despair not! For our creative spirits march ever onward.

THE CAS YO'SELF CHALLENGE
Ragnarok.Online.full_.911378.jpg

Make a CaS of yourself in SCV style. Not modern. Think what you'd be if you're put in an RPG: ie warrior (heavy/light), ranger, mage (blue, red, etc.), mechanic, ninja....the sky's the limit. Show us who you are, and tell us why you chose the stuff (clothing, weapon, makeup etc.) you did. Did you go Asta cuz you enjoy aggressively hugging people? Did you go Leixia cuz you're always just kidding??? No need to overthink it. Inspired by my recent binge on the Log Horizon anime. If you need a reference for various RPG tropes, go to this BroQuest image:
http://i.imgur.com/PuQMR9e.png
Deadline is November 3. Let's have fun, guys.

Last edited:
So my PS3 is back, and aside plans, I have nothing yet :P
But I loved the theme, and I want to give it a try, (I am not optimistic, because this is a very simple design) but awesome theme deserves a try ;)

-Walking through an empty castle I feel the soothing loneliness, the castle is in ruins so its still cold, many plants and even some natural pools formed in these walls, roses bloom from every place, flowers blooming in the winter, I give a sad smile, "Such beauty." I hear footsteps, "This is no good." I run to the gardens, when it starts to snow, when I stop to catch my breath, I feel someone looking at me, I look at the person. "You!"
"Very well, people's heart are a mystery after all." I draw my rapier. "I will escape from this distorted Wonderland."

Well well, not much to say, I just like to look classy, nothing extraordinary, but I hope still cool, the colors are colors I like. The weapon? Well, I wanted to be a Bard, then a Scholar, then just a noble men, then I decided "Rapiers are pretty classy."

soulcalibur-png.42045
soulcalibur-_1-png.42046
soulcalibur-_2-png.42047
soulcalibur-_3-png.42048

Attachments

• SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
    632.7 KB · Views: 909
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 813
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
    725.4 KB · Views: 850
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
    736.6 KB · Views: 870
@Le_Bello: Yeah, definitely seein' Vil pull stuff like that. If you've got time, it'd be awesome to see something from you. No pressure though, man.

@Onyyx: Hmm...point made. Vote is reinstated. Oops haha I'm retarded. Meant November 3 (13 days). If you guys wanna move even earlier let me know.

@AustinTheGuy: Photo isn't required, but it'd be pretty cool to see y'all fools irl. Don't gotta look like you (superficially). More of a personality thing. In contrast to your slight shyness, all your work has a distinct sense of conviction and ruggedness to it. Seein' you as a gentle giant like SC4 Rock for some reason.

@Ramus: A Kuroshitsuji-styled Raphael definitely works for you. The gothic/classy vibe runs through just about your entire gallery. You've always had that dreamer-type personality, like one who's traveled lifetimes away from this dreary modern world jk lol. Savin' the actual review for after the votes tho. Strangely enough though, multiple entries are still OK. Like, I've got at least 6 personalities.

Last edited:
@Ramus: A Kuroshitsuji-styled Raphael definitely works for you. The gothic/classy vibe runs through just about your entire gallery. You've always had that dreamer-type personality, like one who's traveled lifetimes away from this dreary modern world jk lol. Savin' the actual review for after the votes tho. Strangely enough though, multiple entries are still OK. Like, I've got at least 6 personalities.
Bu-but....oh what the hell yes, it kinda is based on Kuro :X

Also added a photo on the spoilers.
10418965_849979331721252_506531929236884225_n.jpg

I'm honestly not all that sure what I'd be in terms of medieval times so I just went with a comparatively modest noble. It kinda bugs me that I wasn't the first in the thread to snap up Raphael style, but to say I didn't expect it would be an absolute lie.

aCFTHoC.png

On a side note, my image editing software does something bizarre to the colours, and I need to sort that out.
You one handsome motherfucker.

I'm thinking Onyyx's less of a girl and more of pretty boy/trap. Or maybe something in between?

Back