Namco gives us the finger

Malice: SC4 has been out a lot longer than Tekken 6 and isn't too far behind in sales. I love both but SC will always be my first love.

Remember SC falls in the VF crowd like i said in a post before a lot of ppl have trouble learning SC and say tekken is more easy too pick up. I think we gonna get a SC5 just not anytime soon.

But look at how quick the price of the game needed to drop for it to sell. If Tekken 6 would have stayed at $60, it wouldn't have sold.

But I don't get why people are going so crazy over this. You figure at some point that Tekken 7 would be developed at some point in time since the game has been out in some form since 2007. But people are talking as if it's the end of the world while slapping Soul Calibur in the face when there hasn't been anything definitive to announce and when the game is not coming out anytime soon. But naturally, since Namco sux, the two will be compared.

So take a deep breath, relax, and go play Calibur, or wait for TFT to come out. It's that new hype.

SC5 will be announced at the upcoming E3. It shouldn't even be a question really. The previous 3 SC's were all released in 3 years of each other. That puts SC5's release date at next year. The fact that SC outsold Tekken guarantee's there will be another game.

Mathematics aside, eesh. No reason to be so literal against a philosophical statement.

Also, in Base 3, 2+2=11. So no, your argument does not hold up.

Well they announced T6 when PS3 first was announced basically...which was like 50 years ago. so yeah.

also

VINCENT IS A TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Well they announced T6 when PS3 first was announced basically...which was like 50 years ago. so yeah.

also

VINCENT IS A TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. When they announced it, no one knew when the US was gonna get it. It was announced 3-4 years ago and was only put in arcades in Japan or something like that. T6 came out officially in the US in October of 2009, and only 8 months later T7 is announced.

The last SC (BD aside) came out 2 years ago in August. It's about time we heard of a fifth one. There has to be one being made. When it'll be annouced IDK but I'm pretty sure it'll be at E3.

Real talk: the players gave this game the finger well before Namco did.

True that. But I can be considered to be one of those players, because I've switched between SC and T6 numerous times. I can't decide which one to stick with. IMO, T6 is more of a fail than SC4 was.

I only consider Tekken 6 a failure because there's no offline scene around me, people only show to tournaments for it when there's a pot bonus even though it doesn't deserve one, and I don't see any elites around here trying to grow the game and raise the level of play so that it's not the same couple of people winning tournaments for it.

Outside of that, the game still sold more than a million copies, it's still the shit in Japan and Korea, and now it's featured at MLG. So in that aspect, it's better than Calibur.

SC4 had the potential to be big, but so much shit killed this game from the jump and too many people were on their particular position when we should have been more concerned about the game as a whole. What sucks is that there's no real way to really compromise. There was never a real middle ground to choose from that would have pleased the most people.

Namco didn't give the game the finger, but they did give the finger to the competitive community by releasing Broken Destiny on the PSP. Fighting games die quick without a yearly update or and update that isn't on a fucking portable. And once EVO was over, the game was pretty much done in most places.

All it really takes to bring this game back is for people to come out and play it. It's not some impossible feat to do if people are willing to look passed past differences and go back to having fun with the game. And if you have enough people doing that, you can then run tournaments for the game again. But you can't do shit if people aren't having fun with the game first.

And now with Super out, I'm pessimistic because so many people are on that Super dick right now. If you look at attendance at the last two big majors, SSF4 gets over 200 people while the next game gets 40-50 people. I'm worried that with such a huge disparity, there's always that factor people will quit not only this game, but others to hop on SSF4 when things get tough.

It maybe too late to save things, but SC4 is still mad fucking fun. If it wasn't I would be all up on Super, but that game gets boring quick, so I play both. I hope people go back to basics and have fun with SC4. That's what I been trying to do and show people through the livestream. And hopefully the same shit won't happen with SC5, but I'm sure it will. Regardless, I am going to make the best of it.

People always say that there was no way to really compromise and make everybody happy...

I guess there is some truth to that, but it's kinda pathetic that we didn't even TRY anything when we saw players leaving. My opinion is that we should have done a gradual balancing of Hilde and see how the playerbase reacted. For example, first limit the stages she can be played on, and if that doesn't work, then we can talk about banning 44K or C2AA in combos or something, and then finally we can have a discussion about banning. We had a lot of people that didn't like Hilde, but didn't want to jump the gun and ban her so soon. Meanwhile, the community was suffering. But I guess we should just sit there and do nothing because "oh, nothing will work anyway, and nobody can agree on anything."

How did this community not learn the first time with VC?

How did this community not learn the first time with VC?

Because the community as a whole couldn't agree on what to do until it got to a point when it was too late.

On the East Coast, we saw what was happening and wanted to avoid another VC situation, but how was that going to be done without pissing people off or alienating players? And while all this discussion was taking place, people just said fuck this game and left either because of Hilde/Algol bs or community bs, and areas where there were active communities for Calibur stopped having tournaments and doing much else for the game.

Then by the time we put a ban in place, it was already too late since the damage was done and all we were doing was stopping the bleeding long enough to get a little more life out of the game. And things were going well until Hilde/Algol were allowed in NEC last year which took the hype right back out of the game.

You could try to ban certain moves with Hilde, but how do you stop someone from doing something that's in their muscle memory? Would you disqualify them after they paid 15-20 dollars to enter? If that happened to me, I would never go to another tournament for Calibur. I love Calibur, but my love isn't blind. You could try to limit her to certain stages, but that doesn't change the feeling of disgust players were having with this game when playing in tournaments. But these are things you have to think about.

And like I been saying, shit is different when it comes to asking people to take time to travel and spend money to enter a tournament, especially since so many of us are spread out across the United States and not mainly concentrated in one area. Not only that, there's other fighting games to worry about. At the time SC came out, there wasn't much choice on new consoles. Now, there is a plethora of fighters to play with Super killing every fighting game right now and getting most of the attention.

And the reason I was for a ban is because mad people were leaving while they were legal and leaving things the same is not a option since those players can always jump to Street Fighter which has more players that compete in tournament and much more hype. And not everyone is hardcore about Calibur.

So I guess our only hope is Namco getting everything right with SC5 so nothing needs to be banned when playing this game at a tournament level, but what the chances of that happening? And if the people on this forum aren't willing to compromise or stick around when things get tough, or actually go to something offline, then SC5 will surely be a failure outside of the game being played casually.

Honestly I'd say that at this point the net code did more damage than Hilde or Algol. It's sad but true: people don't want to buy or play a fighting game anymore unless it plays well online. That I think the entire second half of the last sentence I typed is an oxymoron doesn't seem to matter anymore. Hilde and Algol were far from ideal, but come on now; how many actually good Hilde or Algol players have there been, and how much have they dominated? I've not seen them do anything worse than top tiers in other fighting games. People were just looking for an excuse.

And 2d fighters are just more popular, with Tekken being the notable exception. Or maybe not so notable since it's the 3d fighter that plays closest to a 2d fighter's selling points (flashy characters and combos) and doesn't have the things that people bitch about (ring outs and dangerous throws). I actually heard someone say that with Street Fighter 4 out and MvC3 on the way 2.5d has supplanted 3d and there's no need for the latter. Obviously there are few ways that a person could be more wrong than with that idea, but I gather that he wasn't alone in the way he thought.

In the end, Soul Calibur 4 sold very, very well, so I can't see any way for Namco to avoid putting out another. God knows they love to milk the shit out of their franchises. An announcement at E3 seems as likely a time as any, but even if it doesn't happen then I don't think it would be far off.

Page you do know that online is way more popular than offline SC4 right?

Bottom line is, Namco is run by retards.

I can say without a doubt that Tekken is one of the more popular fighting games that has the least appeal.

I will just wait for E3.

That doesn't really discount any of my points. In fact, that's what I'm saying: people buy fighting games now and expect to just play them online. If the online is bad then people are much less likely to buy the game, or keep it, and the problem extends from there: beyond just people giving up, bad online prevents players from getting better, and players who aren't good or lack confidence are less likely to attend any sort of offline activity.

Now, Soul Calibur 4's online isn't horrible, it's just not very good. I've yet to play a fighting game (or any other console game for that matter) that had an online experience I'd describe as great, but at least some of them are passable. Soul Calibur 4 also had the advantage of being released on the cusp of this online wave. Just look at what happened with King of Fighters XII and you can see that things could have been much worse.

wow so this is what this thread turned into cool
That doesn't really discount any of my points. In fact, that's what I'm saying: people buy fighting games now and expect to just play them online. If the online is bad then people are much less likely to buy the game, or keep it, and the problem extends from there: beyond just people giving up, bad online prevents players from getting better, and players who aren't good or lack confidence are less likely to attend any sort of offline activity.

Now, Soul Calibur 4's online isn't horrible, it's just not very good. I've yet to play a fighting game (or any other console game for that matter) that had an online experience I'd describe as great, but at least some of them are passable. Soul Calibur 4 also had the advantage of being released on the cusp of this online wave. Just look at what happened with King of Fighters XII and you can see that things could have been much worse.

Have you played tekken or BB there netcode is almost perfect(like half a frame of lag) unless the people you play with are really far.

Back