OmegaDR Wins Final Round 15 in Atlanta!

With 251 entrants, Final Round 15 in Atlanta, Georgia, may have been the largest Soul Calibur tournament on American soil in the history of the series! Huge congratulations to all the placers!

Top 8 are as follows;

1. OmegaDR (Nightmare- Miami)
2. Hawkeye (Natsu- Chicago)
3. Thuggish_Pond (Leixia- Chicago)
4. Wing Zero (Xiba- Atlanta)
5. Sword Lord (Pyrrha/Leixia- Atlanta)
5. Lolo (Yoshimitsu- Mexico City)
7. Dreamkiller (Natsu/Leixia- New York City)
7. EMP KDZ (Astaroth/Seigfried/Maxi- New Jersey)

Tryin to catch little bits and pieces of the stream from my iphone. But from what I caught, it was amazing.

I was very impress by Hawkeye's Natsu. That bitch got some damage!!
I saw Omega take out Lolo in winners and thats pretty much all the exciting stuff I saw.

Grats to Omega for taking the whole thing.

I want congratulate Sword Lord for placing 5th. He had a rough start; started out last place in Final Round back in SC3 and was ridiculed. Despite that he still kept fighting and endured the shrouded hate around him and the moment he glorified himself to fifth place and beaten 2 good players, the world was in shock.

Even if his attitude is ass, the one thing I admire about him is that he kept fighting and finally his time has come.

Good job Sword Lord I hope you continue to level up.

Congrats OMEGA.
To want to know if Nightmare broken or not, probably you can ask Lolo?
Who know Nightmare well and doesn't use nightmare?

Good stuff Omega. Can't wait to play you again in the future.

Sword Lord says all kinds of stupid stuff on the forums but I really don't want to get into that. The main reason Hates was bashing on him was because Sword Lord backed out of a $500 money match, $1000 it was 10-0. It took peer pressure for him to even do the match for $45.

nightmare is a mid tier char omega its top tier

sameshit happend when omega use zasalamel was low tier but omega destroy everyone with him.. stop the qqs the nay sayer omega pwnt that tourney

Felicitaciones Omega, vi el encuentro de inicio a fin y aunque el primer encuentro contra Hawkeye fue muy reñido sacaste un Nightmare muy veloz al final, esos sidesteps fueron mortales.

Ghengis- http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/310601903

Franman- in FRX, I lost to kAb and barely lost to 1Bello, but I think there was at least 1 win in there somewhere.

Anyways, I don't really see why folks are too surprised, I've been beating top players for a few years now, off and on... beating Thugish in the last Final Round of SC3 (a game where he won every single tournament except for that one and the one after where Linkrkc beat him) being the most notable.

And the match vs Hates I had, previously it was character locked Sophie vs Cervy, but I didn't want to play it with the lock anymore, and it was for $100 not $45.

Anyways, I studied and practiced for this tourney more than I would usually, because there was actual money at stake, not the bullshit pots there normally is.

But enough about me, how was your day?

I don't understand why people want a commentator whose every other phrase is GET HYPE, screaming the name of the event, and x number of seconds left on the clock.

Bibulus can get really technical but he is usually very informative about the game mechanics. It is a lot more useful to know how to evade/punish certain moves than it is to be reminded of the name of the event.

Grande brother, muchas felicidades! Aún tengo que ver los matches, pero no tengo duda que fueron lo máximo. Espero algún día jugar contra ti y todos los de Rep. Dom.. ese versus está pendiente!

The reason why players like Omega and Keev are a cut above their competition is because they know the game inside out. They don't depend on who they're playing as to win matches. They win due to their extensive knowledge of the game mechanics and the rest of the cast.

There is no better example than Omega winning SC3 nationals with Zasalamel.

A very quick word on the tournament, commentary, etcetera, with more to come in the future when I sort myself out a bit:

With regard to the hype/info balance, I think we're all trying to figure out the best way to handle that. There's a responsibility, on the one hand, to be entertaining, but there's an equally important responsibility to make sure people know what the hell is going on in a somewhat deeper way. It's really difficult to figure that out, and we're all trying. Moreover, we're not formally trained professionals or anything like that. I'm not satisfied with how it turned out, but I'm a big believer in process--I'm definitely going to spend time thinking about what I could do better should I be called upon to bust out more commentary in the future.

As far as the sword lord stuff goes, specifically, that's a really touchy subject for me. I talked about this with Hawkeye and a few others last night, in fact, and I am deeply conflicted about the whole thing. Basically, not to put too fine a point on it, he clamored for a high-dollar match, refused repeated opportunities to bow out gracefully and with respect intact, and then at the last minute tried to back out entirely after I had already paid money and made arrangements to fly out to Dallas for the match. So yeah, that pissed me off on a personal level, particularly since there was no apology, no owning up to anything, and really no acknowledgment of it on his part afterward. He just vanished for a bit and then reappeared like nothing had happened.

So why am I airing personal dirty laundry? Because it's not strictly personal. I have a lot of great friends in the fighting game world, and I have even more people who I don't like, don't get along with, etcetera, but there is a level on which I respect every last one of 'em. They're (you're) all part of The Brotherhood. We're like a big dysfunctional family. One of the key elements of this family is having a specific sort of integrity when it comes to meeting one's obligations. There are no money match cops; nobody forces anyone to pay what they owe, in much the same manner as nobody forces anyone to respect other people's property, physical safety, etcetera, when they open up their homes for gatherings and tournaments. We do it, though, because this community needs that kind of honorable behavior. To my mind, sword lord forfeited his membership in this community when he betrayed the fundamental rule: you must be true to your word.

And that's why I'm conflicted...I didn't--nor would I ever--go beyond the bounds of what was specifically allowable on the stream. I play by the rules on things like that no matter what. If, in the future, I was told not to engage in that sort of talk, I'd choke that pill down and do my dead level best. Without that sort of prohibition, however, I felt an ethical obligation to put the dude on blast. I don't care about how well or how poorly he played. His placing speaks for itself. In my opinion, though, he undermined the fundamental principles of how our community operates without even a halfhearted apology, and I guess that's where my personal line is drawn. To those of you who found it off-putting, I'm sorry for that. I own everything I said, and I equally own the consequences. I did, however, feel the need to clarify. The only recourse we have for punishing that sort of behavior is airing the dirty laundry. It just sucks.

tl;dr--Commentary is fun, but hard, and we're all trying to get better as we go. Help us improve, and be patient! Additionally, sword lord didn't just screw me personally; in my opinion he gave our whole way of doing things a big middle finger, and I have a really difficult time ignoring that when nobody says I have to. No apologies for content here, but certainly some regrets.

As someone who doesn't even like MvC3, but somehow has gotten sucked in by its immense hype, I can tell you from the perspective of a casual fan what you guys could improve on to boost the SC hype (some of it is out of your control though because of SCV's game mechanics):

Talk about the players more, not the actual game. ie. Their background, their history with SC or their particular opponent, their style of play. Are they mainly an online killer who never before showed his face at a tourney? Or an OG from SC2 returning to the game? Is there any bad blood between the players? (ie. a future Hates vs. SwordLord match is now hype) Best example of when you guys did actually do this was during Winter Brawl and how Bibulus was pumping up Woahhzz, saying "this guy has never lost a tournament he's gone to yet." Result: his matches with Ramon and KDZ were some of the most hype at Winter Brawl, even though he lost.

Outside of crazy comebacks (which are out of your control), the best way to build hype is to get the viewers excited about a certain matchup. This could be East vs. West, Texas vs. NY/NJ, America vs. Japan, rooting for that online-only player, or even just rooting against ChrisG's lame Morrigan abuse. If one player is known to play super aggressive and the other prefers to turtle it up, talk that up.

You guys ended up doing the inverse at FR by trashing a certain player only to have him prove you wrong consistently. Instead of building up the hype with his wins, it instead gave the game a bad look by having a "scrub" (who's not) take down RTD and others.

There were some bad players who made it into the top 32 of Marvel over better players, but you don't hear commentary about how "so-and-so is a fraud" cause of a dropped combo or that "so-and-so can't win with the nerfed Phoenix" (ie. Viscant), even though that's in everyone's thoughts. Instead, we hear about how there's a bunch of "killers in the loser brackets," etc.

Live streams

3 Viewers
SeichoTV
SeichoTV
Casual Matches for fun times! Yay! c: Come vibe friends :3 ☯ | Love Questions and Anime! Ask up c: | Backseating okay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back