On Losing

Such a nice, idealistic stance on losing.

Too bad it doesn't take the reality of this game into account: the reality is that this game is powered by bullshit. Especially if you play a weaker character. Weak characters in this game are weak because they don't have any bullshit. The best characters in this game are entirely bullshit. You can play solidly and still lose simply because of bullshit, especially if you play a weaker character.

I encounter the situation all the time. Why did that Viola beat me? Because I couldn't do anything at all to beat her bullshit. Why did that Mitsurugi beat me? Because his bullshit damage, speed, and safety undervalue every correct guess and solid tactic that I have. Why did that Astaroth beat me? Because one correct guess is a victory for him. Why did that Xiba beat me? Because he's safe as shit and all he ever needs to do is mash. Natsu? Same fucking reason except add fast onto that.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you play. If you don't have any bullshit to counter their bullshit, you lose. And that's simply the way it is. Welcome to Marvel 3D with weapons.

Too bad it doesn't take the reality of this game into account: the reality is that this game is powered by bullshit. Especially if you play a weaker character. Weak characters in this game are weak because they don't have any bullshit. The best characters in this game are entirely bullshit. You can play solidly and still lose simply because of bullshit, especially if you play a weaker character.

I encounter the situation all the time. Why did that Viola beat me? Because I couldn't do anything at all to beat her bullshit. Why did that Mitsurugi beat me? Because his bullshit damage, speed, and safety undervalue every correct guess and solid tactic that I have. Why did that Astaroth beat me? Because one correct guess is a victory for him. Why did that Xiba beat me? Because he's safe as shit and all he ever needs to do is mash. Natsu? Same fucking reason except add fast onto that.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you play. If you don't have any bullshit to counter their bullshit, you lose. And that's simply the way it is. Welcome to Marvel 3D with weapons.

this post is full of bullshit

I get salty when people think it's okay to be a complete jackass just because "it's the internet", and then in the same sentence claim to be some kind of noble saint in real life. I don't understand the logic behind this mentality, and I never will.

Let's face it: A spade is a spade. The only difference is that on forums you don't have consequences, so that means if you could get away with it in real life, you would.

lol the reality of the situation is that you are actually pretty bad at this game, and even though the character you use is not high tier, you would STILL be losing even if you used one of these best characters that are full of bull shit, I mean you are complaining about Xiba? get the fuck out of here, he is NOT safe, and he is mid tier for sure, not even close to being the best, but it wouldn't matter if you used Viola, you would still end up losing to Raphaels because you don't know how to play this game, you can't even break throws unless you were lucky enough to be spamming that button for an attack, that's pretty newb status right there, and frankly, if you are using a "weaker" character, then that's your fault as well, switch to a better character, or stop bitching about it, because bitching about it doesn't make you better, it makes you weaker, because you completely avoid taking any kind of personal responsibility by blaming your character, instead of considering the mistakes you made that game, and even though you CLEARLY have a lot to learn before you can hit the plateau that is your character

frankly, it seems like you WANT to keep using a weak character, so you will always have that excuse of I lost because I play "X", ultimately that is your fault

I made my prior post while on tilt, after, obviously, getting blown up repeatedly by what I considered to be bullshit. I won't take back what I said. I won't pussy out of this one. What I said is what I feel, and it is what stops me from enjoying this game far too often. Before I get back to taking this subject seriously, though, I need to blow up this clown.

Mkay, so, who the fuck are you? If you want to criticize my post on the basis of what I said and why my mentality is wrong, go have a field day. But if you want to go all ad hominem on me, your credibility is instantly gone. Poof. Especially when you're talking like you and I have played regularly and frequently, when I don't even know who you are. "you can't even break throws unless you were lucky enough to be spamming that button for an attack, that's pretty newb status right there" proves you haven't even *watched* me. Who the fuck are you to make such a claim based just on what I said? Get the fuck out unless you want to criticise my words instead of the image you've painted of me in your head.

So. Where were we? Oh yeah, criticising my words instead of my person. Well, frankly, nobody has actually done that yet, but I already have a pretty good idea of the general attitude toward my post, which is admittedly well earned. So let me challenge you all for a moment. You can dismiss me as a whiner, or you can take on my mindset and try to defeat it. The problem isn't my character. I, unlike many people everyone else in my soul arena, happen to believe that my character is fine. But some of the characters in this game are straight up ridonkulous.

Seriously, think about it. Not one of you can seriously say that you have never had a loss that happened due to pure bullshit. I mean it. I don't think even top players can say that. If you would claim that you've never had a loss that happened due to pure bullshit, you're probably lying just in a vain attempt to make me wrong. But hey, maybe you're not lying. So I want to hear about it. Because even if you truly didn't stamp the bullshit label on any of your losses, I know you've come damn close at least once. I want to hear about that loss, and why (and how) you didn't attribute it to bullshit. That is my challenge to you.

That is my challenge to you.
I didn't want to step in here, but I felt I should. This is all I'll say on the subject, and I won't say any more.

I believe that everything in the game has a counter. Whether it is stepping, JG, whiff punishment, turtling, or simply dominating the whole match so that you don't have a chance to use the move- everything in the game has some kind of answer. If I lose, it's my fault, and I need to find that answer.

As a Leixia player- you already know that your damage output is low. That is, for every 2 or 3 correct guesses you make, another character can tie you up or come ahead with 1.

Now- you would label this bullshit. Other characters have tools I don't have. Other characters have tools that are much better than mine. That's bullshit. But here's the thing-

If you recognize strength- either as strength, or as "bullshit"- you are holding yourself back by not making it your own. If you are unhappy with your situation- or you see an imbalance somewhere- you should seek to correct it by whatever means necessary, or accept your fate as is.

Ask anyone who's played me. I'm cheap as hell. If you give me an option between honorable and cheap I pick cheap so fast your head's spinning, every time. Ask people what I do when my back's to the wall.

(11B, every time. I get punished for it, but I don't care.)

That particular technique- I learned from one such LONG_GRANGE that back in SCIV used to mercilessly 1A GS KK, flapjack, and B+G me out of the ring. Whatever happened, he went for the ringout. If you hit him with a 20-hit combo, he'd go "I don't care." and then attempt to ring you out and sometimes you couldn't stop him.

At first, I went "bullshit".

Then I copied him.

One tactic I use- wakeup CE- total scrub thing to do. Reminiscent of desperation wakeup super/ultra playing Street Fighter online.

One person- swordofdios- would always interrupt my carefully planned okizeme with wakeup CE. Bam, 90 damage.

I called bullshit.

Then I copied him.

I have many other examples. But my point is- their bullshit is my bullshit. I play a bullshit character that can use this bullshit. I bullshit on everybody else like the Nicki Minaj track.

If you have a problem with bullshit- switch characters. Take the bullshit within you. You'll either find- it's not bullshit at all, and it's harder to use than you thought- or it's true strength.

My best tactics- the most reliable dirty tricks I have- come from online scrubs, griefers, players who do random-ass shit, and tournament players with high-level bullshit. (RTD with the 1B, 1B, 1B frame trap, I'm looking at you.)

Remember, when you're on stream, it's not bullshit.

It's pro.

And that's that.

Now, if you were complaining about vanishing hitboxes, that's a different story. I think I need Viola's crystal ball to figure out that one.

I made my prior post while on tilt, after, obviously, getting blown up repeatedly by what I considered to be bullshit. I won't take back what I said. I won't pussy out of this one.

not gonna pussy out on being a pussy ass whiner, good going on that

Mkay, so, who the fuck are you? If you want to criticize my post on the basis of what I said and why my mentality is wrong, go have a field day. But if you want to go all ad hominem on me, your credibility is instantly gone. Poof. Especially when you're talking like you and I have played regularly and frequently, when I don't even know who you are. "you can't even break throws unless you were lucky enough to be spamming that button for an attack, that's pretty newb status right there" proves you haven't even *watched* me. Who the fuck are you to make such a claim based just on what I said? Get the fuck out unless you want to criticise my words instead of the image you've painted of me in your head.

well I guess on some days you just forget how to throw break then, huh?

So. Where were we? Oh yeah, criticising my words instead of my person. Well, frankly, nobody has actually done that yet, but I already have a pretty good idea of the general attitude toward my post, which is admittedly well earned. So let me challenge you all for a moment. You can dismiss me as a whiner, or you can take on my mindset and try to defeat it. The problem isn't my character. I, unlike many people everyone else in my soul arena, happen to believe that my character is fine. But some of the characters in this game are straight up ridonkulous.

this is mere semantics, "my character is not weak, all other characters are just too STRONG!" yeah, basically you are saying your character is weak relatively speaking, also I will expose in a moment the fact that you don't even subscribe to the very bull shit you just spewed, once again, if youre gonna be a little pussy and whine about it all day, STOP using your "character that is fine" and use a character with ridonkulous shit

so as I said I would expose your own bullshit, heres two recent posts you made on your wall:

"I'm held back by how bad my character is, and also *knowing* how bad she is. Time for a change-up. Let's go, Pat."

"Scrub mentality nothing. Leixia is bad: this is a fact. All of the top players agree. I'm not a good enough player to overcome my character's myriad deficiencies. And I'm all for playing for fun, but there's no fun in getting curbstomped for free day in and day out just because the character you happen to like is unviable. Pat feels good to me, and with him, I won't have any excuses."

so wait, which is it? leixia is fine, or leixia is bad and its a fact? i think you're bad and its a fact, heres more evidence also found on your wall:

"This game is completely driven on bullshit. And I can't stand it anymore. I do have a scrub mentality, but I can't shake it off knowing that the game is so driven on bullshit. And whoever's bullshit is easier to pull off or more effective, well, they win."

even you yourself admit that you are a scrub, and frankly that invalidates any points that you have made about the game so far, also, as foretold in my previous post, even if you pick a character with bull shit, you still won't do better until you start owning up to your reasons for losing, as long as you have an excuse, you'll never improve, I appreciate that you have finally switched to a top tier character, but as long as the excuses continue, you will not do well even with a better character, heres one of your new soft excuses for pat:

"It turned out that while Patroklos's damage was pretty bonkers, I could get the low damage more often as Leixia. In addition, I have more setups and tricks as Leixia, and each one is more reliable than any one setup I have as Pat"

you can lie to me, you can lie to everyone else, but the worst thing you can do, is lie to yourself and actually believe it, the fact is you need to improve, not your character(s)

Seriously, think about it. Not one of you can seriously say that you have never had a loss that happened due to pure bullshit. I mean it. I don't think even top players can say that. If you would claim that you've never had a loss that happened due to pure bullshit, you're probably lying just in a vain attempt to make me wrong. But hey, maybe you're not lying. So I want to hear about it. Because even if you truly didn't stamp the bullshit label on any of your losses, I know you've come damn close at least once. I want to hear about that loss, and why (and how) you didn't attribute it to bullshit. That is my challenge to you.

while I agree probably most of us, if not all, have at one point in our lives thought / claimed bull shit, HOWEVER that does not mean or make it bull shit, that just means we are ignorant to the reasons why we lost or what happened in that last exchange, its a lot easier to blame what happened on "bull shit", than to say yeah I MESSED UP, yeah I MADE A MISTAKE, that takes balls, that takes personal responsibility, but once you can accept that, you can learn from it and move on, but it takes nothing but a big gaping pussy to go yeah that was bull shit, was not my fault, character Y is broken, my character X is weak, and frankly, the more we call bull shit is a direct indicator of how ignorant we are of this games various fundamentals, and character move properties, so if I am not mistaken, you really don't understand this game, that is not your characters fault, that is not viola's fault, that is your fault, own up to it, or remain a scrub forever, and I personally don't feel anyone needs to contribute more ignorance to this thread, so no one should take up your challenge, take your challenge to the casual thread where you and your ignorance belong

let this be a lesson to anyone on how NOT to think if you want to be more than just a scrub

Yeah, that's what I thought. The only one who bothered to take me seriously is Drake. Good on him for that, but the rest of you, especially banes.

You. You are an especially pathetic piece of shit. You having fun dragging up everything I said in the past for your smear campaign?

"I'm held back by how bad my character is, and also *knowing* how bad she is. Time for a change-up. Let's go, Pat."

"Scrub mentality nothing. Leixia is bad: this is a fact. All of the top players agree. I'm not a good enough player to overcome my character's myriad deficiencies. And I'm all for playing for fun, but there's no fun in getting curbstomped for free day in and day out just because the character you happen to like is unviable. Pat feels good to me, and with him, I won't have any excuses."

so wait, which is it? leixia is fine, or leixia is bad and its a fact? i think you're bad and its a fact
And I think you're full of shit, and that's a fact. People change, you moronic twat. The above statements, I actually believed those when I said them. Like I said, when you get curbstomped for free day in and day out, and even the pro players in your soul arena bitch and whine about how bad their character is, you tend to come to the conclusion that your character choice has something to do with it. So I invested time in Patroklos, knowing he is solid, and that as long as I learn all of his tricks, I won't be able to blame anything on my character. As for your question of "which is it", I'll answer that later.

"This game is completely driven on bullshit. And I can't stand it anymore. I do have a scrub mentality, but I can't shake it off knowing that the game is so driven on bullshit. And whoever's bullshit is easier to pull off or more effective, well, they win."

even you yourself admit that you are a scrub, and frankly that invalidates any points that you have made about the game so far, also, as foretold in my previous post, even if you pick a character with bull shit, you still won't do better until you start owning up to your reasons for losing, as long as you have an excuse, you'll never improve, I appreciate that you have finally switched to a top tier character, but as long as the excuses continue, you will not do well even with a better character
My above statement was basically me on tilt, but there's nothing at all defensible about it. I basically said the same thing I already said here, and am obviously still trying to work through it. You win on this one.

"It turned out that while Patroklos's damage was pretty bonkers, I could get the low damage more often as Leixia. In addition, I have more setups and tricks as Leixia, and each one is more reliable than any one setup I have as Pat"

you can lie to me, you can lie to everyone else, but the worst thing you can do, is lie to yourself and actually believe it, the fact is you need to improve, not your character(s)
And this is you forcing an interpretation on my words in order to fit your smear campaign. You're full of shit once again. That post IS me improving. Although you have no idea how, and neither do the rest of the people here since you took the words out of context. Let me restore the context for the audience at home. Wandrian asked me why I went back to using Leixia, and I told him. That IS me improving. That's me finding a playstyle for the character I like best that improves her to the same level that I am at with Pat.

My wall is a documentation of my (painfully slow) growth over time, but you took it all out of context in order to smear me, and that makes you a raging piece of shit. Let me answer that question I told you I'd answer. Yes, I do believe Leixia is fine now. But I didn't before. I grew into my current belief. What, are people not allowed to change? Is change a concept too complicated for your dimwitted mind? Granted, my belief that there are some broken-ass characters isn't much better, but that's why I'm here.

I'm sick of having to defend myself from you. Quit attacking me or fuck off.

/deep breath. Aaaaand, Drake is still the only person who has actually answered my question to any competent extent. Everyone is either dodging the question entirely, or answering it with noncommital pussyfooting. Hey there, Donutman! So, you actually believe that, huh? Mkay, then! In that case, tell me about your most infuriating loss ever, and tell me how you managed not to attribute it to bullshit. Or are you full of shit too?

Hey there, Donutman! So, you actually believe that, huh? Mkay, then! In that case, tell me about your most infuriating loss ever, and tell me how you managed not to attribute it to bullshit. Or are you full of shit too?
Sorry im not someone who treats a loss in a video game like its end of the universe.
Your losses are not through bullshit, your losses are from mistakes you make, what you need to do is calm the fuck down, And learn from your mistakes.
Refer to the original post of this thread. Its not bullshit, when you lose, it is on your end. You can blame your character all you want but it doesnt do anything except getting all of us to laugh at your rage. Either learn your character better and learn from your mistakes and stop whining. Or continue raging while we all sit here and laugh at you

Good thread, and a good mentality to have. I try to remain level-headed and to learn from my mistakes... but I don't think I could take 30 solid arse-whoopings in a row without raging a bit, lol. Props to you, my good man.

Edit: By the way, we need a "bullshit" button.

I am going to completely chalk up most of what you've said to going on 'tilt' as you put it, I keep noticing this trend where you get mad and then you say things that you dont actually believe, or regret saying

You. You are an especially pathetic piece of shit.

LOL

You having fun dragging up everything I said in the past for your smear campaign?

yes I did, I actually got you confused with anther Leixia player who's favorite move is also the 'crybaby', and so I went to your wall looking for a specific post I had read before, little did I know I would find worse statements on your wall, which is why I think you should avoid posting when youre angry ever

anyway, I hope you realize you smear yourself everytime you post while youre angry, this doesnt make you look any better, and I would hate for people to be inspired by your suggestions in this thread to embrace calling bull shit, instead of taking a step back and trying to understand why what happened just happened instead of just blaming it on dumb luck, drake posted some really good tips on how to improve by looking at losing from a positive perspective, and you just come over here raging, and crapping newb statements all over it, this is not helpful

and I did respond to your question honestly, I said we all have called bull shit, except for the most humble and least entitled of us, I know I have, and I'll be even more straight, there have been times where I called bull shit, and I realize soon after that I made a mistake in my gameplay, but I still feel angry and want to call bull shit, even though I have already traced the events back to the exact point of my own error, it's bad when you are so blinded by anger that all you can see as the reason for what happened as 'bullshit', but its even worse when you have just enough clarity to see that you are to blame, but not enough to man up to it

I think for your sake, as well as many others who have raged about this game, including myself, its important not to form beliefs or theories about the game while angry, because they are usually illogical, and only hurt our ability to improve

Yes, I do believe Leixia is fine now. But I didn't before. I grew into my current belief. What, are people not allowed to change? Is change a concept too complicated for your dimwitted mind? Granted, my belief that there are some broken-ass characters isn't much better, but that's why I'm here.

granted you may be learning new things, and I do believe in change, but unfortunately just based on this little blurb you are still falling into the same trap, characters do not exist in a vacuum, and they must be compared with one another in order to be understood, so you cant just say hey this ONE character is fine, along with maybe three other characters that suck, err are fine, but EVERYONE ELSE, YOU ALL GET THE NERF BAT, that doesn't make sense, unless you are saying that Leixia is mid to top tier, you are inadvertently saying that in order to be a fair and balanced game (where you cant use your character as an excuse to call bull shit) characters should be nerfed to Leixia's unviable tier or fine tier, however you want to put it, with this kind of attitude, you are going to rage more whenever you lose with Leixia to some top tier character, just stick to Patroklos, or truly start believing that how you play matters more than the character you use

Yo Tiz. You're looking at things wrong here brah. Fact is, you're still trying to excuse losses. So whatcha gonna do? Are you going to keep calling bullshit on every legitimate criticism directed towards you, or are you gonna man up and get better? Anger accomplishes nothing. Hell, the only real difference between you and I is I'm not getting angered by losing.

Actually, I think Edge Master says it best. Paraphrasing: "you're in thrall to your emotions. You must master them to improve."

Thread should be renamed the bullshit thread! haha kidding.......

Back