On Losing

The tone, style, and intent of your posting has completely turned around. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Before I continue, I apologize for the combative tone of my last several posts. I really do need to learn to stop whilst angry, but I'd rather not get angry to begin with.

Look, you guys aren't wrong. I'm not disputing that the mentality presented in this thread is the best one to have. But it's difficult to have. The reason I issued my challenge to all of you is to find out how you have overcome that gut reaction after getting cheesed out, and hopefully to get someone to admit that I at least have a little bit of a point. I mean, come on. Viola has a 240 damage combo off of 2A in combination with 6B+K. She touches you once and you die. Literally. You guys all know that this game has some seriously jacked up shit.

To clarify my own stance, I have never called bullshit on tactics. Lord knows how many times Amatosk has thrown me out of the ring with Yoshi's command grab. I get pissed, sure. But I don't call bullshit on that. It's my fault, I wasn't paying attention to positioning. I've been bodied by Ruben time and again, and never called bullshit on him. I've never beaten him to this day, and still don't think anything he does is bullshit. There are even certain Mitsurugi players I respect because they're so good that I wouldn't beat them even if they used other characters. (And sometimes they do to humor me. Looking at you, Zero.)

The problem is overcoming that rage you get when you know that a character that just beat you is overpowered. "If Mitsu's everything didn't do so much god damn damage, I might have won." "If Viola's pressure wasn't so braindead and inescapable, I might have won." You know, that mindset. And once you give in to that, every character's strong points become infuriating. That is the challenge I am issuing. How do you overcome the knowledge that some of the shit in this game is straight up broken?

How do you overcome the knowledge that some of the shit in this game is straight up broken?

By countering it and yeah there is a way to avoid all of this in fact i find that most characters have high damage outputs, when played correctly in that order but you can all avoid and counter and punish with experience, this is where the real skill in this game comes in. Practice the weaknesses of the attack patterns exploit them and feel good about it.

The tone, style, and intent of your posting has completely turned around. Thank you. I appreciate it.

well smoking a bowl before posting helps i guess

The problem is overcoming that rage you get when you know that a character that just beat you is overpowered. "If Mitsu's everything didn't do so much god damn damage, I might have won." "If Viola's pressure wasn't so braindead and inescapable, I might have won." You know, that mindset. And once you give in to that, every character's strong points become infuriating. That is the challenge I am issuing. How do you overcome the knowledge that some of the shit in this game is straight up broken?

you know how I deal with that? I only play top tier characters, I mained Voldo throughout sc2, and I always hated hated playing against NM players, NM was already strong, but he was especially strong against Voldo since he seemed so linear, and my throw range was great against everyone but for some reason always whiffed on NM unless I was in hugging range, granted I think that if you are really good, it doesnt matter if you play a bottom or high tier character, you just adapt and overcome your characters weaknesses, but some character are just easier to win with, and if I am going to be playing this game more than just casually, I need the competitive edge, so I only play characters if they are top tier, thats my rational, if you had a desk to build, and someone offered you either screw driver or a power drill, which would you use? and in this fashion I will NEVER use my character as an excuse, because if I am using a character that sux, then thats my bad

Instead of believing it's overpowered and knowing your belief in it to be bullshit is correct, know that there are ways around everything. You can 8WR away from Mitsu 4B, you can JG/step/GI Asta 66kA+B+K, et cetera.

Mitsurugi has high damage, great mixups, and great oki. Buy y'know what? He can't combo that well and if he guesses wrong he's probably going to be launch punished for it. Hell, 2KB is launch punishable ON HIT. Most characters don't have to worry about getting punished that severely for landing an attack.

Viola has crazy good pressure when she gets to rolling. Oh but hey, you can outpoke her and if she's on the defensive you can JG against all her attempts at getting back to the offensive and punish her even more.

Dampierre has a meterless half health combo and Poker Bluff. Stay in his face and he can't use his meterless half health combo and 2K him the second he goes into PB to avoid that.

There's plenty more. Just hammer it into your head that there is no bullshit, sooner or later you'll believe it.

Instead of believing it's overpowered and knowing your belief in it to be bullshit is correct, know that there are ways around everything. You can 8WR away from Mitsu 4B, you can JG/step/GI Asta 66kA+B+K, et cetera.

Mitsurugi has high damage, great mixups, and great oki. Buy y'know what? He can't combo that well and if he guesses wrong he's probably going to be launch punished for it. Hell, 2KB is launch punishable ON HIT. Most characters don't have to worry about getting punished that severely for landing an attack.

Viola has crazy good pressure when she gets to rolling. Oh but hey, you can outpoke her and if she's on the defensive you can JG against all her attempts at getting back to the offensive and punish her even more.

Dampierre has a meterless half health combo and Poker Bluff. Stay in his face and he can't use his meterless half health combo and 2K him the second he goes into PB to avoid that.

There's plenty more. Just hammer it into your head that there is no bullshit, sooner or later you'll believe it.

getting 240 damage off of a low poke is bullshit, sorry to break it to you.

I agree with you though, everything has a counter. That is why I stick with Leixia, I feel like when I am really on the ball with my pressure I do well. You just have to learn your character's strengths and weaknesses.

That being said this game is not 100% balanced. There is a HUGE difference between bottom tier and top tier, although this is not unique to SC. Some of the top tiers in this game, while beatable, are completely ridiculous when you compare their tools to the rest of the cast.

Yeahyeahyeah, Viola deathtouch and back grab infinite are bullshit. But that's not important(in this particular conversation at least; they're just distractions). What's important is the attitudes we have, yo. Gotta enjoy the game. Why play if you don't?

Gotta enjoy the game. Why play if you don't?

Wow, no bullshit, I have actually lost site of this. I cant honestly say if I enjoy playing this game or not. I can have 4 or 5 great matches, then I come up on some bullshit that makes me wanna smash puppies with a brick.

I guess this would be an important question. Do I really enjoy this game still?

I use self-mutilation in an effort to discourage losing. Every time I lose a match I bite my hand as hard as I can. Every three in a row, I make a mark on my arm with a knife. I don't have too many marks on my arm, but I remember them pretty well.

I once fought a guy who just cleaned my clock every time I met him, and it infuriated me, so I went into the bathroom and looked myself in the mirror and said, "Okay look, if you lose to that motherfucker again the next time you see him, I will literally kill you. I will slit your throat." And sure enough, next time we fought, I won 3-1.

I try not to think of it like, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" but instead, "If I don't get stronger I will die."

I use self-mutilation in an effort to discourage losing. Every time I lose a match I bite my hand as hard as I can. Every three in a row, I make a mark on my arm with a knife. I don't have too many marks on my arm, but I remember them pretty well.

I once fought a guy who just cleaned my clock every time I met him, and it infuriated me, so I went into the bathroom and looked myself in the mirror and said, "Okay look, if you lose to that motherfucker again the next time you see him, I will literally kill you. I will slit your throat." And sure enough, next time we fought, I won 3-1.

I try not to think of it like, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" but instead, "If I don't get stronger I will die."

God I hope you are trying to be funny lol

Wow, no bullshit, I have actually lost site of this. I cant honestly say if I enjoy playing this game or not. I can have 4 or 5 great matches, then I come up on some bullshit that makes me wanna smash puppies with a brick.

I guess this would be an important question. Do I really enjoy this game still?

got to find a way to make the game fun, I know I had to with my character, but if I couldnt have made it fun with my character, I probably would have switched to a character with more cheeze for the trollsy lulz factor

...ya thats not funny, and if you're being serious, you should seriously consider counseling because you have some emotional problems that desperately need to be resolved, before you truly hurt yourself or someone else and suffer the consequences

Viola 2A combo 100% video plz. This should be good no matter the outcome.

NarokKurai: Take a pillow as a punching pillow. At max rage, give that pillow hell.. : ]

There is a HUGE difference between bottom tier and top tier, although this is not unique to SC. Some of the top tiers in this game, while beatable, are completely ridiculous when you compare their tools to the rest of the cast.

This is why a tier thread would be nice, so I don't have to read even more ridiculous bs on other threads. There is a SMALL difference between bottom and top tier, hello damage anyone?

So much bs seriously.. it all boils down to the fact that you can't take your losses and only see BROKEN when you should actually see powerful to very powerful.

HUGE difference.. lol on a fucking lol.. congratz finally this shitty mentality was enough to piss another one off.. You guys seem to be actively trying to ruin a thread with a model mentality to have.

Viola 2A combo 100% video plz. This should be good no matter the outcome.
Set 6B+K → 2A/3A/2B/3K → B+K BE → 6A+B (slight charge) → 2B+K BE → 6B+K → 66A → AAB → 6A+B (slight charge) → 2B+K BE → 6B+K → 66A → B+K BE → 66B → 66A+BB

Set 6B+K → 2A/3A/2B/3K → B+K BE → 6A+B (slight charge) → 2B+K BE → 6B+K → 66A → AAB → 6A+B (slight charge) → 2B+K BE → 6B+K → 66A → B+K BE → 66B → 66A+BB

Good that was debunked, a viola 2A 100% would have been nasty. You should prolly do something in a full second, when someone says "fear". : /

Edit: Just for the sake of completion, as what I already said should counter this, you MIGHT want to GI viola, so she is forced to spend meter or eat tons of damage. Some situations can be avoided all together.. who do you blame for algol 2x meter, why is gi not eating it.. etc.. for people who find a way.

Algol 2x bar seems like a failure to me already in a match :I

Ok, so question... Is it wrong to make mention of what is bothering you, win or lose, after a match? Like for example lag or an annoying move that's hard to avoid.

Back