Quick Steps (How To Learn Soulcalibur)

Maxx Dreamkiller & Chuck the Landslide have finished producing their first episode of Quick Steps, which will be a series of tutorial videos covering Soulcalibur V for those who are new to the series. In this first episode, the duo provides a rundown of the training mode in Soulcalibur IV which will be helpful to those who are new to the game and to the training mode in Soulcalibur.

Make sure that you check out this first episode and subscribe to their YouTube channel for future episodes.

YouTube
Facebook
Discussion Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
The goal is to make it weekly. Originally it was supposed to come out Monday but I suck at editing (see the constant, jarring cuts) and it took me forever to put it together.

Well then to give enough editing time, maybe you guys can record two episodes in one day, (changing clothes and lighting) and you edit both episodes at once, releasing one on like Feb. 6th and keeping the other for say Feb. 13th. In between the Feb 6th & Feb. 13th episodes you can record the episode for Feb. 20th and so on and so forth.

Well then to give enough editing time, maybe you guys can record two episodes in one day, (changing clothes and lighting) and you edit both episodes at once, releasing one on like Feb. 6th and keeping the other for say Feb. 13th. In between the Feb 6th & Feb. 13th episodes you can record the episode for Feb. 20th and so on and so forth.
I've considered that, and it was something I was going to bring up when I met DK next. The problem is, that isn't even remotely feasible until we get SCV because if we started filming tons of SCIV stuff it would make no sense to release it in about five days when everyone has the new game. But in the future this will probably be what happens.

Additionally, like the video says, we hope to have lots of variety and guests on the show to try and keep things fresh.

The contrast between them on the couch and the gorgeous girls they play has never been more startling. But I have to hand it to them for doing the walk-through with babes. Much appreciated.

Nice to see an introductory video, but I find it very hard for a newbie to grasp. Most of the basic concepts were barely even talked about. What is a horizontal? How is it different to a vertical? How is 8WR beneficial? You did mention them, but for someone new to the game it's very unclear. Even the most complex stuff like ukemi and techtrap were not even defined, and you completely forgot about GI and grabs. If I had never played SC before, I would not have leaned anything at all. The main problem is that you are making these videos for people transitioning into SC from other FG's, but for someone who grabs SC casually, they'll be really lost. Another big problem I see is that the narration was way too colloquial and just thrown at people. I think that for someone to get the basics you first need to show them something more concise, consistent and straight to the point, or the less educated minds will soon get distracted/bored. Partisan's tutorial videos, for instance, are much more easy to follow, more organized, less colloquial and more focused on one topic.

I think that videos should overall be shorter, more serious in vocabulary (yet easier to understand), and this is optional, but recording the footage with a capture card would make the overal product much better. As for the topics, I think the videos should be more focused in a single thing, and not just thrown together:
  • Basics: They way you started was good, but you should have gone into more detail. Explain what each command does, how to chain attacks together and how to guard/evade. Also be sure to mention ring outs, grabs and how to break them.
  • Basics 2: Going a bit more into detail, explain GI and JG, as well as BE and CE. Also mention evasive mechanics such as ukemi and the new step system.
  • Combos: In this video you would talk specifically what makes a combo, as well as what stuns, techtraps and wall combos are.
  • Beating "cheap" players: A few tips on positioning, guard impacting spammers, breaking grabs, identifying kinds of button mashing, and other things that casuals usually complain about.
After that is out of the way, you can proceed and go into more complex stuff like this. In short, just assume that your viewers are button mashers and other kinds of scrubs that want to improve, because trust me, when the game comes out SEVERAL of those will be looking for help.

Nice to see an introductory video, but I find it very hard for a newbie to grasp. Most of the basic concepts were barely even talked about. What is a horizontal? How is it different to a vertical? How is 8WR beneficial? You did mention them, but for someone new to the game it's very unclear. Even the most complex stuff like ukemi and techtrap were not even defined, and you completely forgot about GI and grabs. If I had never played SC before, I would not have leaned anything at all. The main problem is that you are making these videos for people transitioning into SC from other FG's, but for someone who grabs SC casually, they'll be really lost. Another big problem I see is that the narration was way too colloquial and just thrown at people. I think that for someone to get the basics you first need to show them something more concise, consistent and straight to the point, or the less educated minds will soon get distracted/bored. Partisan's tutorial videos, for instance, are much more easy to follow, more organized, less colloquial and more focused on one topic.

I think that videos should overall be shorter, more serious in vocabulary (yet easier to understand), and this is optional, but recording the footage with a capture card would make the overal product much better. As for the topics, I think the videos should be more focused in a single thing, and not just thrown together:
  • Basics: They way you started was good, but you should have gone into more detail. Explain what each command does, how to chain attacks together and how to guard/evade. Also be sure to mention ring outs, grabs and how to break them.
  • Basics 2: Going a bit more into detail, explain GI and JG, as well as BE and CE. Also mention evasive mechanics such as ukemi and the new step system.
  • Combos: In this video you would talk specifically what makes a combo, as well as what stuns, techtraps and wall combos are.
  • Beating "cheap" players: A few tips on positioning, guard impacting spammers, breaking grabs, identifying kinds of button mashing, and other things that casuals usually complain about.
After that is out of the way, you can proceed and go into more complex stuff like this. In short, just assume that your viewers are button mashers and other kinds of scrubs that want to improve, because trust me, when the game comes out SEVERAL of those will be looking for help.

I really think you should do a video I like how you explained that, especially for someone like me who is a newbie and really needs to know the meaning of certain words and stuff and how to execute them with the hands ..so on so forth.

Thanks for your suggestions, we recognize we have a lot to work on and will absolutely be improving on how we explain ourselves. Not to sound ridiculous, but now that the first episode is out we have a better idea of what we need to do and who we need to talk to, and I for one feel a lot more comfortable with all of these suggestions.

Seriously, keep the suggestions coming!

I liked Chucks flowing locks.

This will also be taken into account.

You guys should probably write a script before you start filming so you can be sure you covered everything you wanted to cover and to minimize the "uh"s and "um"s.

Live streams

25 Viewers
Draethiox
Draethiox
Setsuka noises to relax and study to
2 Viewers
AdamCrowGaming
AdamCrowGaming
SoulCalibur VI Two-Face Mode Part 7: Perpetually Poor...
1 Viewers
crackjesuss
crackjesuss
Ermmm... What The Sigma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back