SCV Ivy FAQ & General Discussion

yes, like i said- in theory it's true- suppose i should have said "ideal", and that's the goal of every ivy player. i've been playing her since she existed, so i agree with everything you're saying about it's importance and usage. just trying to encourage a possibly new ivy player (sorry vanvid, don't know you or how long you've been around) to keep up with her in spite of the difficulty of a single move.

and v- when you fuck it up you're going to get a regular b grab so it's not like it's going to leave you open (unless you're specifically trying to use it's extra range)

yes, like i said- in theory it's true- suppose i should have said "ideal", and that's the goal of every ivy player. i've been playing her since she existed, so i agree with everything you're saying about it's importance and usage. just trying to encourage a possibly new ivy player (sorry vanvid, don't know you or how long you've been around) to keep up with her in spite of the difficulty of a single move.

and v- when you fuck it up you're going to get a regular b grab so it's not like it's going to leave you open (unless you're specifically trying to use it's extra range)

That is a good point. So, would it be safe to agree that CS is important to Ivy's high level play, but if you're not a high level player it would be better to concentrate on learning more of the basics - like frame traps, 214B usage, punishing with 6B8, etc.

in theory, that's true. but i definitely wouldn't say it's at all necessary to play her well. most people fear it's existence enough for it to be effective. it is awesome- but the rest of your game with her has to be solid enough for it to be usable anyways, and once you get there, it's not really needed.
I agree with this... While it's great if you do master CS, you're not going to be broken for not doing it... If you watch Linkrkc's videos during WB, he didn't use it much until the finals... Your opponents, or at least those who know of Ivy's abilities to perform CS, live in fear of it naturally... but, of course, if you can pull it off at least once per fight, it can be enough to give them that fear... It's not the mastery of CS that makes you a great Ivy player - it's the mastery and implementation of her punishments... CS is just another one of her tools, if you can do it, awesome, but otherwise, she has other tools for you to use...

I agree with this... While it's great if you do master CS, you're not going to be broken for not doing it... If you watch Linkrkc's videos during WB, he didn't use it much until the finals... Your opponents, or at least those who know of Ivy's abilities to perform CS, live in fear of it naturally... but, of course, if you can pull it off at least once per fight, it can be enough to give them that fear... It's not the mastery of CS that makes you a great Ivy player - it's the mastery and implementation of her punishments... CS is just another one of her tools, if you can do it, awesome, but otherwise, she has other tools for you to use...

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. Consider that Ivy has no damaging lows...how the hell are you going to ever get people to duck? Having CS at your disposal is invaluable to her mixup game, now more than ever. Otherwise people just stand and block forever and there's not much you can do.

If you go back and watch Link's vids again, he usually start off a match showing that he could CS the opponent...usually at very odd times to tip them off balance. The rest of the match is filled with mind games where he could use 3B or A-grab, as he expects people to break B due to fear of calamity.

My argument is you can be a good Ivy player, but not a respectable one until you learn how to apply pressure with CS.

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. Consider that Ivy has no damaging lows...how the hell are you going to ever get people to duck? Having CS at your disposal is invaluable to her mixup game, now more than ever. Otherwise people just stand and block forever and there's not much you can do.

If you go back and watch Link's vids again, he usually start off a match showing that he could CS the opponent...usually at very odd times to tip them off balance. The rest of the match is filled with mind games where he could use 3B or A-grab, as he expects people to break B due to fear of calamity.

My argument is you can be a good Ivy player, but not a respectable one until you learn how to apply pressure with CS.
I agree with this as well, especially your last statement, which is what my point was... You can be a great Ivy player without learning CS, but to be a truly respectable master of her, I agree, CS is essential...

Seconding what everyone is saying here. You need to pull off CS ONCE in a match to tip the scales even or in your favor. A 75 dmg i18 that can't be blocked is not a joke. I actually let my opponent hear all my buffering and see if they react with a duck/twitch duck.

Hey no big deal, I'm well aware of my feeble status within the community. I do appreciate the good advice from everyone though, I get the message that it might not be the most important thing to focus on right now, but that in time I need to learn it if I am to continue with Ivy.

Yeah I see that now.

So I tried some more CS training today. Got it like 1 out of 10 I think in training mode. Lets see if this can be done...

I kinda have to agree with Neo, my inability to do CS is partly the reason why I betrayed Ivy switched mains-ish. I hate to have that "If only I pulled off ____ when I needed to..." feeling, and I definitely feel that CS is more important to Ivy than ever in this game. If she had her old input, or perhaps Idunno, a second/even half a second longer to input the move(or 28284466/4646, as the 666 is what kills me) I would be fine with it. I mean it's not like I don't use her, I just don't main her exclusively like I used to. That said, I'm excited to see what the patch with bring, 3[A] stunning again is great news.

3[A] = Mission accomplished.

The combo won't be very strong, though. Still, it's gonna be much better than now. The recovery on block stays the same.

That's fine -- that's pretty similar to SC4 levels anyway in terms of safety. Tip range mid to counter side step = win.

3A (Dancing Tezhas): opponent stuns after counter hit
6B.2 or 8 (Biting Ivy Inner): more difficult to evade sideways.
236236A+B+K (Acausal Paradox): faster execution and increased damage (90→100).
28284666B+G (Calamity Symphony): increased clean hit chance. Decreased rise in opponent's critical gauge.

Ivy will be unstoppable! >=]

Oh, can someone explain this:
7 or 8 or 9B+K (Stinging Souls): removed specific effect for opponent on normal hit (equivalent to counter hit)

Back