Skyrim

Fuzzieviking

[13] Hero
Does anyone here own it yet? How is it?

The new system for magic looks amazing, specially since things aside from resto, conjur, and destro look useful now! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Does Skyrim still use the god awful leveling system in Oblivion?

In Oblivion, you had to select your seven "major" skills. You could level up all skills, but these would be your "major". For every 10 ranks you earned in your skills (major or minor), you would gain a level. However, here is the problem; the number of attribute points you get to spend when you level is directly dependent on whether or not the ranks you earned were major skill points, or minor skill points.

So if you wanted a good character, it pretty much forced you to purposely not level up certain skills, because it would weaken your overall character... which is... WTF? God forbid you slip down a rock, accidentally earn a rank in safe fall and fuck up your character build.

Does anyone here own it yet? How is it?

The new system for magic looks amazing, specially since things aside from resto, conjur, and destro look useful now! I can't wait to get my hands on it.
I have it and it's great so far. New level system is much better. I'm using a pure mage right now and my frenzy spell is crazy useful.

Does Skyrim still use the god awful leveling system in Oblivion?

In Oblivion, you had to select your seven "major" skills. You could level up all skills, but these would be your "major". For every 10 ranks you earned in your skills (major or minor), you would gain a level. However, here is the problem; the number of attribute points you get to spend when you level is directly dependent on whether or not the ranks you earned were major skill points, or minor skill points.

So if you wanted a good character, it pretty much forced you to purposely not level up certain skills, because it would weaken your overall character... which is... WTF? God forbid you slip down a rock, accidentally earn a rank in safe fall and fuck up your character build.

All skills level you up now. Inversely there is a perk system in place. every 5 skill ups or so you get a level increase. Every level increase you get a perk point. (might shift to ten skill ups at level ten, seemed to go slower. I'm not sure.) At any rate you are now probably looking at the inverse of the old paradigm. Where now you will be learning skills you never use just to try to milk one more point out of the tree for the ones that you do.

You also do not level up when you sleep and there is no more condition stat on equipment. What this means to you is it's easier than ever to find a mud crab and let it hit you for the next ten hours so that you can level up armor and resto. So in respect to previous elderscrolls games that tradition is still as strong as ever.

I gotta say just some input, I ain't loving what they've done to speech as a skill. Harder than hades to level it up now and chances to use it come once in a blue moon. They combined it with barter into "persuasion" which was like creating one skill for "social". That said plot wise this is the first elderscrolls game that has actually managed to get me to want to do the main quest. Kudos to it. They learned a lot from new vegas on this one. A LOT. From the choices presented to the player, the the allegiances you make effecting not just who your friends in the world are but in some cases who's alive or dead, to the little activities that make the world more believable like people farming or working, to the fact companions have personalities. You could do worse than to check it out Jaxel. It's a lot of little things that make the world feel more alive.

At the start of the game you have the choice of escaping the big opening to an rpg WTFBREWHAHA moment with an imperial army allied nord, or a rebellion allied nord. You go to their towns, their homes and meet their families afterwards. The imperial allied nord has a total "duty, honor, loyalty" aspect and has the feel of say the old British army while the rebel's family has a total IRA feel to it.

i skipped the story altogether and bee-lined it to the mage college that everyone was talking about. i like that there is no level requirement for anything. i'm also going pure mage. augmented doublecast firebolt is the business. i just cot the dark azura's star and put some blind NPC's soul in it. now if only i can figure out wtf it does...

so far i haven't seen ANY of the frame rate/freezing issues that plague oblivion and the fallout games. thank god. i may go as far as to say this is the best RPG i've ever played so far.

jaxel, much like fallout, you now get a perk for every level up, and each perk can go into a skill tree a la FFX. i think it is leaps and bounds better than the oblivion system. the downside is that there is bound to be a level cap, so you have to be choosy about where to dump said perks. the old system of just leveling up and making a sort of jack of all trades is out the window. as for speech, mine is getting kinda high, past 30, just by selling shit.

the one thing that i HATE so far, are the stupid door puzzles. they aren't clever. they aren't enjoyable or rewarding. they are fucking stupid.

I've downloaded the game through GameStop's Impulse program. My only beef so far is that there are no longer hot keys to quickly get the favourite stuff you wanted to use. Instead it's just a quick menu that is just based on your favourites.

this joker thought he'd fly down and do one of the random dragon encounters...while i happened to be ten feet away from chatting up the arch-mage. ROFL. not only did he get raped in like 10 seconds and hook me with a dragon soul, he died in the most awesomely awesome spot everrrrrrr.

298298_2563333052620_1532918851_2740216_2087593347_n.jpg

I'm really enjoying it so far, though I could pick a few nits, so to speak.

1. Lack of hotkeys. This slows everything down, both the mage build and the archery oriented warrior build I've started

2. Fencing stolen goods. Now, don't get me wrong, not being able to sell goods you stole would be realistic, if you could, say, go to another town to sell them. How does somebody in whiterun know a random potion I stole in another town is stolen? It should only apply to the town you stole it from, IMO.

3. I could be wrong about this, but past games show that the enemies scale with you. You also level up every 5 or 6 skill increases. Now, correct me if I'm wrong because I could be, but if you are constantly levelling up from non-combat skills, what happens when you have to fight the scaled up enemies when you're stuck with very low level combat capabilities?

4. Merchants not restocking gold. Not only is it irritating, but it's unrealistic. Am I supposed to believe that I am the only person in the entire world that shops? The economy of an entire nation dependant upon one adventurer? The way it stands now, once you've drained a merchant of gold and items you might possibly want, they become useless.

5. Giants. What's the deal? Why are 10 foot tall humanoids stronger than 10 ton dragons? The one time I tried fighting a giant, not only did he one shot me, but he LITERALLY knocked me into orbit. I'm pretty sure my character's corpse hit the upper limit of the sky.

Alright, on to my next thing. I downloaded it via steam, so I don't really have a manual and I'm confused about how a few things work.

A. Perk trees. I'm assuming that you have to buy perks along the branches in order, or can you pick any perk as long as you meet the skill requisite? For instance, if I hvae the skill in Destruction magic, can I get the perk that gives me a bonus for casting the same spell with both hands without buying the perk that gives a 50% mana reduction on novice destruction spells? I haven't gotten to a point with a character yet where I can find out for myself

B. Armor: what exactly does heavy armor hinder other than stamina usage and magicka regen? I just rolled my archer character and I don't know whether to go light or heavy armor because I have no idea how it will impact archery

C. Is archery at all viable in melee range, or will I have to level melee as well? If at all possible, I want to go pure archery for this character

D. is there a button that lets you move things, like the Z button in Fallout 3/New Vegas? It's not listed under controls, but I feel like there has to be.

E. Is there a way to equip two rings? I can't seem to do it, but I've never seen a game that only allows one ring. It's always one ring per hand, so I don't know if I'm missing something or if they just don't allow it for whatever reason

If you get this game, you'll need a support group so you dont end up neglecting daily necessities including but not limited to: homework, family, girlfriends, eating, sleeping, and possibly breathing.

Envious of people who can play it.

I have to wait for my girlfriend to beat it (let's not go into why). Apparently, holding a concerned view for the direction the newest incarnation of the Elder Scrolls series may take, and holding Morrowind in far greater favor than Oblivion (and Daggerfall highest of all), means that I can't play it until she's done with it.

Having seen gameplay (hold that carrot in front of me...), I'm very happy (so far). Most happy about the Sneak line adding a (potential) huge damage bonus for using daggers (a mace shouldn't do more sneak critical than a dagger imo), and the Illusion line, as it seems those spells will actually work for once!

Also mining and smithing.

Let it be known thank GOD they got rid of that horrid dialogue wheel thing from oblivion.

"Man, how do I get this guy to like me? Oh, of course, it's so simple, joke, joke, taunt, bribe, story, joke, threaten, we're friends now!"

Let it be known thank GOD they got rid of that horrid dialogue wheel thing from oblivion.

"Man, how do I get this guy to like me? Oh, of course, it's so simple, joke, joke, taunt, bribe, story, joke, threaten, we're friends now!"
Hey! I liked that Coercement Wheel... It was really simple mathematic trickery... very easy to figure it out, and once you did, you could win every argument, with zero points into charm.

Exactly.

It was a math game. Dialogue shouldn't be a math game. Influencing characters shoudln't be a math game

I'm really enjoying it so far, though I could pick a few nits, so to speak.

1. Lack of hotkeys. This slows everything down, both the mage build and the archery oriented warrior build I've started

2. Fencing stolen goods. Now, don't get me wrong, not being able to sell goods you stole would be realistic, if you could, say, go to another town to sell them. How does somebody in whiterun know a random potion I stole in another town is stolen? It should only apply to the town you stole it from, IMO.

3. I could be wrong about this, but past games show that the enemies scale with you. You also level up every 5 or 6 skill increases. Now, correct me if I'm wrong because I could be, but if you are constantly levelling up from non-combat skills, what happens when you have to fight the scaled up enemies when you're stuck with very low level combat capabilities?

4. Merchants not restocking gold. Not only is it irritating, but it's unrealistic. Am I supposed to believe that I am the only person in the entire world that shops? The economy of an entire nation dependant upon one adventurer? The way it stands now, once you've drained a merchant of gold and items you might possibly want, they become useless.

5. Giants. What's the deal? Why are 10 foot tall humanoids stronger than 10 ton dragons? The one time I tried fighting a giant, not only did he one shot me, but he LITERALLY knocked me into orbit. I'm pretty sure my character's corpse hit the upper limit of the sky.

Alright, on to my next thing. I downloaded it via steam, so I don't really have a manual and I'm confused about how a few things work.

A. Perk trees. I'm assuming that you have to buy perks along the branches in order, or can you pick any perk as long as you meet the skill requisite? For instance, if I hvae the skill in Destruction magic, can I get the perk that gives me a bonus for casting the same spell with both hands without buying the perk that gives a 50% mana reduction on novice destruction spells? I haven't gotten to a point with a character yet where I can find out for myself

B. Armor: what exactly does heavy armor hinder other than stamina usage and magicka regen? I just rolled my archer character and I don't know whether to go light or heavy armor because I have no idea how it will impact archery

C. Is archery at all viable in melee range, or will I have to level melee as well? If at all possible, I want to go pure archery for this character

D. is there a button that lets you move things, like the Z button in Fallout 3/New Vegas? It's not listed under controls, but I feel like there has to be.

E. Is there a way to equip two rings? I can't seem to do it, but I've never seen a game that only allows one ring. It's always one ring per hand, so I don't know if I'm missing something or if they just don't allow it for whatever reason

is this your first elder scrolls? well let me address a few of these things...

1: hotkeys only work on PC or when you only have 4 "go to" options. i LOVE the favorites list because i switch between my shit all the time, and it stops game time anyway, so...

2: you used to have to find a "fence" for stolen goods. if not, it would break the game and make it too easy to just steal everything. now, you can earn fencing as a perk, or beware using stolen shit. me, i just stockpile it in my house.

3: again, leveling based on non-combat skills has always been a danger. you must be wise and not spam level ups in shit you don't need. this game fixes that problem by giving you perks to invest in desired areas despite where you gain the levels. it is a huge improvement. it used to be possible to hit level 40 by simply jumping off ledges over and over or letting a mudcrab hit you a million times. now, while you can still level like that, it won't help you unless you invest in profitable perks. also, the enemies DO level with you, BUT if you enter a dungeon they all lock at that level. so, even though they begin at your level, roughly, you can always trigger a dungeon, leave, level up, and come back and rape. once you find an area, the levels lock where you are...a massive improvement on previous games.

4: umm...but out a merchant, wait a few days, and not only do they restock, but their gold purse increases every time. i recommend sticking to 3-4 merchants through the game. my primary general goods guy has like 1300 every time now...

5: um...they are not hostile. stay away if you can't kill them. range attacks own them hard. their slam may knock you back, but it doesn't hurt unless you are CLOSE. they are considered friendly NPCs as far as i'm concerned. next time a dragon attacks you, try running to them. THEN tell me that they aren't awesome...or kill them easily w/ magic or arrows and enjoy the bullshit 500 worth of shit you get. they are invaluable allies. why are you attacking them?

A: perk trees must be bought in order, sort of. you can't buy one without the one under it. that said, you can buy perks in any category as long as you fit the requirements and have the "pre-req" perks.

B: the biggest thing w/ armor is carrying capacity, especially now that you don't have "strength" to increase it. you are basically sacrificing armor rating for carrying capacity. large armor also uses more stamina and slows your running. being a pure mage, i don't know much about stamina usage, though. i roll robes. :D

C: pure archery is not viable in ANY RPG. if you want a good archer, you should invest in sneak skills as well so as to be able to utilize it in more areas. of course you can't be pure archer...wtf...you CAN, however, focus on archery and sneak and hard hitting, fast melee such as unarmed, or focus on critical boosts. pretty much any build can work if you focus and invest in it.

D: not sure what you mean be "move things". X interacts. running into shit moves it...i'm too drunk for this cryptic shit.

E: it seems like one ring only in this game. :(

Back