So what was your first fighting game?

Boxing for Atari. There was a joy stick and a button, a top down of two person looking things with huge fists, and if you got the opponent against the wall and kept hitting the button he would bounce back and forth between your fists with no chance to survive (make your time) for what I will declare the first "infinite combo".

boxing.gif

On the topid of nostalgic games anyone remember Chaos where you could kill / eat the little cave men while you were fighting? How about Mace: The Dark Ages?

I think for me it was also SF2, but I never really got elite at it. Mortal Kombat 1 was my first fighting game addiction.

SF2 for me ... and religiously

First serious games -- Super Turbo (which I blow at), then CVS2 (which I pwn at), and SC2 (which I whore NM at)

God I love fighting games ...

Hate to be generic but my first was also SF2, Championship Edition for the Sega Genesis. I liked fighting games ever since then.

Reminds me of the time I got scolded by my mother for winning all the time against my brother when we were younger.

The first fighting game that I played was probably Mortal Kombat. The first fighting game I owned and seriously played was...Flying Dragon (Hiryu no Ken) for the N64. Damn, that was such a fun and unique game!

OMG I have that I think. Did you have to play it joystick with one button? Those sticks back then were brutally stiff (no homos)

OMG I have that I think. Did you have to play it joystick with one button? Those sticks back then were brutally stiff (no homos)

Yes :) The small black ones. I had those exactly. Reminds me of Winter Olympics as well. No wonder I don't have RSI. Anyone who grew up with that shit has evolved beyond RSI.

A mention of another fighting game in my childhood: Eternal Champions. I liked this game because it reminded me of Mortal Kombat with it's "Overkills" which were basically Fatalities. However, the ones in this game were far more brutal than the actual Mortal Kombat fatalities. One thing I hated about the game was that the CPU was borderline impossible to beat for me when I was younger and there was no difficulty setting. So if I ever played that game it was with my younger brother, el oh el.

I was remembering that game when I was reading this thread, but couldn't think of the title! I agree with you, it was hard as fuck against CPU, but totally awesome. The characters are really original. The wizzard was my favourite for sure.

The 'fatalities' were stage dependent and you had to be on a specific location on the stage. I haven't even seen a third of the ones I am seeing in this clip.

I was remembering that game when I was reading this thread, but couldn't think of the title! I agree with you, it was hard as fuck against CPU, but totally awesome. The characters are really original. The wizzard was my favourite for sure.

The 'fatalities' were stage dependent and you had to be on a specific location on the stage. I haven't even seen a third of the ones I am seeing in this clip.

Yeah, the ones in that particular vid are actually from the Sega CD version of the game where they added new characters as well as new finishers. I played both versions but only ever owned the Genesis versions as I never owned a Sega CD.

My first fighter was Street Fighter for the SN.
But I didn't play so much as Tekken 1 and 2,god I loved kicking my dads Laws ass with Ninas croch kick. :D
Aaah...good times. n___n
But yeah,the first fighter I ever got stuck to and took seriously was DOA.

Street Fighter 2 in 1991.
Followed shortly after by Mortal Kombat in 1992.
And Killer Instinct and Clay Fighter in 1993 right after that.

After Mortal Kombat 2 in 93 and MK3 in 1995, I took 8 years off from fighters until I started playing Smash Melee in 2003. Since then, I've played Brawl and SCIV (my first 3d fighter)

funny i got real into street fighter when i was a pup, but i couldn't do the dragon punch moves...and the charge down~up moves...fuggetaboudit.

i remember i would go to my 'walking buddies' house in the morning and he would wanna watch power rangers for the 10-15 minutes we had before school and i would get pissed and demand that we played SF2.

wasn't till i was in like 8th grade that i was like... damn those moves are easy...

Dude I didn't know how to do shoryuken properly til about a month or so ago. 623...
I kept trying to do two quarter circles...I had no idea what the actual input was.

my 1st was Mortal Kombat 2, but then i got Street Fighter 2 turbo and never touched MK2 agian.

first fighting game i played was soul calibur for the dreamcast. i wasnt really a gamer till i played this game. me and my friend used to play this all the time and i could never beat him until i got my own dreamcast and got a chance to train a bit. thats what got me into soul calibur and the only other fighting games i play now are marvel vs capcom 2 and virtua figther.

Back