Soul Calibur 5 Create a Soul Speculation

Which Create a Soul was the best in your opinion?

• Total voters
I didn't really see a thread that specifically addressed this topic. We know that Create a Soul will continue in SCV but I was wondering if they were going to add or take away anything. Would they add more modern clothes like school uniforms and business clothes? Would they give specific fighting styles only for CaS characters like SC3? Let's hear some input.

My Pleas:

1. Give us back the layering system from SC3. It bothers me when you can only either wear a shirt or a piece of thick armor, and then some stretchy spandex undies or tattoos. Your choice.
2. Give us younger face options. I think everyone understands me when they know that nearly all their CaS's have the same face, just in different shades of skin tone.
3. We want less douchey voice options. It annoys me to know that some of the CaS voices had the perfect personality, but they sounded like angry ducks when attacking and getting hit during a battle. Please, don't put so much emphasis on the "ugh!" or the "ooh!", and make it sound natural.
4. More hair customization. Okay, someone out there probably wanted to make Ulquiorra Cifer from Bleach, or Light Yagami from Death Note, or even Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass. But they probably ended up with something that had less than a passing resemblance to any of the said characters. Main problem here? Hair.
5. I want my boxer shorts.

/rant

Shortcomings on SC 4's CAS and what I hope could be addressed.

1. Not enough face types for males and females.

2. Hair colour is stuck to one colour. (No two colours in one hairstyle)

3. Not enough Hair Types to choose from.

4. Some equipment dont fit exactly as they are supposed to (e.g. Cloaks dont look attached to neck, Necklaces are hidden behind clothing) and don't look "right".

5. Not being able to use/purchase existing characters' armor/equipment (e.g. Siegfried's Crystal Armor, Mitsurugi's Samurai outfit)

6. More styles to pick from, like in SC 3 which boasted original styles, and weapons arent "constrained" to that character's style (e.g. in SC 4, Cervantes weapons were a longsword and a pistol sword if im not mistaken - and you were stuck to those. Shura had two katanas, so why cant we use them too?). Allow more freedom in this aspect.

7. Not being able to use guest characters' styles. Im certain lots of people wanted to wield lightsabers in Soul Calibur 4, for instance. The bonus characters used existing styles so those are not counted. Hopefully, Soul Calibur 5 will be the first game to let us do so.

8. Minor, but could be appreciated - the ability to capture a portrait of your custom character so you could see him/her when selecting characters from character selection. Unlike in SC 4 where your custom character icons were represented by a random male and female side by side. Broken Destiny had this feature.

9. Lack of variation of voices to pick from. And yes, some of them sound...funny.

10. CAS should be able to use accessories like existing characters.

11. Remove the irritating "conflicting equipment" status for some equipment. It would make sense.
For example, your CAS wears a Monk's Garb with a Usurper's Suit as base equipment. Looks totally odd - like a samurai without proper pants.
Why can't you wear Samurai Hakama as lower body equipment, I wonder?

Shortcomings on SC 4's CAS and what I hope could be addressed.

1. Not enough face types for males and females.

2. Hair colour is stuck to one colour. (No two colours in one hairstyle)

3. Not enough Hair Types to choose from.

4. Some equipment dont fit exactly as they are supposed to (e.g. Cloaks dont look attached to neck, Necklaces are hidden behind clothing) and don't look "right".

5. Not being able to use/purchase existing characters' armor/equipment (e.g. Siegfried's Crystal Armor, Mitsurugi's Samurai outfit)

6. More styles to pick from, like in SC 3 which boasted original styles, and weapons arent "constrained" to that character's style (e.g. in SC 4, Cervantes weapons were a longsword and a pistol sword if im not mistaken - and you were stuck to those. Shura had two katanas, so why cant we use them too?). Allow more freedom in this aspect.

7. Not being able to use guest characters' styles. Im certain lots of people wanted to wield lightsabers in Soul Calibur 4, for instance. The bonus characters used existing styles so those are not counted. Hopefully, Soul Calibur 5 will be the first game to let us do so.

8. Minor, but could be appreciated - the ability to capture a portrait of your custom character so you could see him/her when selecting characters from character selection. Unlike in SC 4 where your custom character icons were represented by a random male and female side by side. Broken Destiny had this feature.

9. Lack of variation of voices to pick from. And yes, some of them sound...funny.

10. CAS should be able to use accessories like existing characters.

11. Remove the irritating "conflicting equipment" status for some equipment. It would make sense.
For example, your CAS wears a Monk's Garb with a Usurper's Suit as base equipment. Looks totally odd - like a samurai without proper pants.
Why can't you wear Samurai Hakama as lower body equipment, I wonder?

You've never seen Broken Destiny's character creator, huh?

Anyways, keeping it realistic, I'd like to see a creator along the lines of Broken Destiny, with the categories from SC3, plus the Special 1 and Special 2 categories Broken Destiny had. Aside from that, just more of everything:
Faces, voices, hairstyles, armor pieces, odd armor pieces, weapons, color slots. You name it.

Fewer novelty pieces though. Broken destiny had like 3 different maid's headdresses -__-

If they have the time, extra CAS movesets would be cool. They turned out pretty interesting.

I saw BD's character creation and I just got to say, "why arent these additional features placed into SC4?"
BD came out later and for what ever reason the people at namco didn't want to bother with making those same pieces DLC for SC4. I didn't understand it either unless they were already working on SCV back then. Cool wesker pic by the way.

Thanks =D

I'd really like to see a in-depth CAS System for SC5 though. I'm sure Namco hears our feedback and will tweak and add in new stuff. Among the BD videos I saw on youtube, apparently one had a CAS Siegfried wielding a long katana. That I like. A lot.

Among the BD videos I saw on youtube, apparently one had a CAS Siegfried wielding a long katana. That I like. A lot.
OMG! Really?
To me that sword looked soo strange, specially when he entered SBH with it. So awkward. But I guess they'll be giving more weapons of that style (not Japanese ones, just thin, REAL Zweihanders) so that everyone will be happy.

Anyway, here's my request for the new CaS:
ThatswhatImtalkingabout.jpg

Am I asking much? Get this hairstyle right for once. Not Hilde's style, not even Lili's. This ^ one is the one I'd love to see...

OK, here are my other requests:
  • Bring prettier faces
  • Normal voices
  • Make up
  • Facial hair
  • Better clothing options for both genders
  • Better shoes
  • Bring back a similar "dress up" mechanism to SC3. Yeah layers of clothing.
  • DO NOT DARE AND LET US CHOOSE THE HEIGHT
Ok now we'll be able to play Sims Calibur... again ^^

I agree to the height thing to some extent. I think they should have the height changes limited to the shortest person in the game to the tallest(including the heels). this way we could eliminate little yoda like characters and yet we don't have to always play as amazons for the female players. And team soul could balance the game out so that there wouldn't be an advantage to any particular height.

hmmm... as far as the poll goes, i have to say SC3.
Although there was only 4 voices, those voices differed quite substantially based on the alignment.
However, that often governed the look of your character, so you could make a that looks exactly how you want, but the voice will never show the personality you wanted. not good.
Layers were clearly superior in SC3 though.

for SC5 though i would like:

NO CONFLICTS!!!: if it clips, so what? plenty of the stuff you were able to wear together in SC4 clipped anyway... its a limit that has absolutely no reason to exist.
Ability to change height: I know this is a controversial one because a tall talim character would have much longer range, and lose a lot of combos, for example, but im tired of having a comparatively tiny Rock/Astaroth/Nightmare character... not that height is the be-all-end-all of size, the physique slider doesnt go to Rock/Astaroth standards either, and it needs to.
Facial Hair: ...because it sucks in SC4.
SC3 Layers: wearing armour on a male character is nigh-on impossible, at least if you dont want them to be visibly naked underneath.
Ripping Clothes: if clothing destruction is staying, then CaSs need the same standards as the normal characters.

Thats about it.
As long as theres enough stuff to pick from, im happy with SC:BD+those points.

Just give us...

COMPLETE costumes of characters from previous SC games!!
Please please please give us better shoes (i.e. Greecian Sandals)
Layers!!!
Better faces, maybe actually attractive looking ones?
More hair options
And if I'm not asking too much cameo armor from another game's characters like in SCIII where it was possible to get KOSMOS's armor from Xenosaga (Type X-Armor)

Ho, height is certainly one thing I'd like to change!

And yes. Conflicting Equipment thing needs to be removed. It would make more sense. Like another example - the Nightmare Spine equipment. Why cant we, say, equip a Paladin's Chestplate to go with it?

OMG! Really?
To me that sword looked soo strange, specially when he entered SBH with it. So awkward. But I guess they'll be giving more weapons of that style (not Japanese ones, just thin, REAL Zweihanders) so that everyone will be happy.

OK, here are my other requests:
  • Bring prettier faces
  • Normal voices
  • Make up
  • Facial hair
  • Better clothing options for both genders
  • Better shoes
  • Bring back a similar "dress up" mechanism to SC3. Yeah layers of clothing.
  • DO NOT DARE AND LET US CHOOSE THE HEIGHT
Ok now we'll be able to play Sims Calibur... again ^^

On the matter of an extra long samurai sword, i believe those are called nodachi. A samurai sword as long as Requim is pretty cool! I'm with you on the matter of have some real zweihanders. Like, for a real long time, i been hoping for a charracter that would just us a normal broadsword, like Braveheart, but not be ridiculously unreal like Sigfried's. Y'know, practical! Now they got a broadsword character, but it's shorter than a claymore :( Can't win them all. I can live with that. It is a video game after all, stretching reality is what they're for.
  • "DO NOT DARE AND LET US CHOOSE THE HEIGHT"...uh what? You don't want to choose wether your new soul will be a welp, or grown up, or mightier than normal?

"Sims Calibur" That's funny!

The height changing issue stems from a game-play problem: Hitbox Issues. This existed in SC4 already, and being able to alter a CaS's height independent of their weapon style creates all kinds of wonky problems.

This probably doesn't matter much to people interested in CaS as the primary feature of SC5 though; but for reference, there are some simple workarounds Namco could implement, such as Online rooms having "no customs allowed" option. They will 100% be banned in tournaments anyways, so it's not so much of an issue for offline tournament level comp.

That said; I guess I don't care if you allow all these wacky (height/lizard faces/transgender cow people) options into CaS; as long as you don't let it muddy the waters of competitive mediums; like ranked online or any versus mode of actual consequence.

The one and ONLY thing I care about with regards to CaS is that now that the armor break system is gone, no more underwear clad warriors... meaning tournament players can actually ENJOY the CaS system for the first time with actual SC characters without having the "Stripper Calibur" problem. Hallelujah for that! I look forward to top players being known for their customs as well as their play style, a throwback to how old school SF players were known for their "color palette" like Daigo's white Ken in 3s.

-Idle

HEIGHT: Some say there should be a height meter. Ever see City of Heroes? Not only did you chose the height, but type of body. It had many sliders. longer legs, broader shoulders, how the head differs from the rest of the body, lanky average or thick... All I'm asking is to be able to select a body as we have selected faces on SC. The weight slider of SC4 is sufficient if you add it to the option to select a body of a teenager, which could be voluptuous or lanky, or the body of an adult, which could be athletic or slim or thick, and then the selection of some one to be feared, as they are bigger than average. Let me add that some adults could be very short. So that adds a character who is the height of a teenager but proportioned differently.

So, if we had these set heights to select from, then precautions could be taken to make sure fighter balance will not be a problem and that there aren't any rendering bugs. Multiply these three heights with varied body types (broader in shoulders, longer legs, more voluptuos, etc) and add that to the fleshy meter that we already had, then every body's needs would be met.

The one and ONLY thing I care about with regards to CaS is that now that the armor break system is gone, no more underwear clad warriors... meaning tournament players can actually ENJOY the CaS system for the first time with actual SC characters without having the "Stripper Calibur" problem. Hallelujah for that! I look forward to top players being known for their customs as well as their play style, a throwback to how old school SF players were known for their "color palette" like Daigo's white Ken in 3s.

-Idle
Uhm, If you selected the first costume in SC4, it just went from a phase that was like new, to a phase that was beat up. So why is "Stripper Calibur" anything to complain about? If you dont want to see undies, just select the main costume. Am I wrong?

Uhm, If you selected the first costume in SC4, it just went from a phase that was like new, to a phase that was beat up. So why is "Stripper Calibur" anything to complain about? If you dont want to see undies, just select the main costume. Am I wrong?

So your saying only default costumes should not explode off of a character in a ridiculous fashion? Because that's how it worked in SC4. What is the point of having a magical dress-up mode when one of the games systems inherently disallows you to enjoy the costume because it literally explodes off the character?

Or, let me put it another way: When you generate a CaS, the game should decide on a costume for you. If you choose to alter it, when they take battle damage, clothes explode off of it. That is essentially what you are advocating. This is not desirable either I don't think.

So, if we had these set heights to select from, then precautions could be taken to make sure fighter balance will not be a problem and that there aren't any rendering bugs. Multiply these three heights with varied body types (broader in shoulders, longer legs, more voluptuos, etc) and add that to the fleshy meter that we already had, then every body's needs would be met.

There are only two ways they can do this:

1) The hitboxes line up with the physical proportions of the character.

This would mean each CaS, even if they have the same style, have different hurtboxes, hitboxes, weapon reach properties. This creates gameplay randomness that isn't plausable to practice against.

2) The hitboxes don't line up with the physical proportions of the character. (aka, regardless of how the character looks, the style functions remain the same)

This means we get things like CaS Astaroth on the body of a small girl; phantom throw reach, but some moves not hitting as far, but some moves hitting further than they should.

Neither of these things are a desirable result as far as I'm concerned, but if you must have one over the other; the former is a preferable one. In either case; the CaS has to be removed from viable competition. They are for fun only, and players should be presented with the option to disallow them in online games if they so choose. Offline in tournament; the issue is already decided.

-Idle

I have to agree with most here on this and I think Luneth22 pretty much took the words
right outta my mouth.

The only thing I'm surprised no one mentioned the lack of space to store characters.
50 slots is just not enough IMO. I mean I like editing regular characters too an between that
and custom ones I never have enough room to store them all.
I know you can use USPs and things like that, but who wants to go though the trouble of reformatting a drive just
to store another 50. I think even a 100 slots between custom and regular characters would be better than what we got with SC4.

I have to agree with most here on this and I think Luneth22 pretty much took the words
right outta my mouth.

The only thing I'm surprised no one mentioned the lack of space to store characters.
50 slots is just not enough IMO. I mean I like editing regular characters too an between that
and custom ones I never have enough room to store them all.
I know you can use USPs and things like that, but who wants to go though the trouble of reformatting a drive just
to store another 50. I think even a 100 slots between custom and regular characters would be better than what we got with SC4.
Me Too! I had to discard some of the characters i created in SC4. I wanted to make a couple costumes for each standard character ( one based on looks, and one based on performance), plus I wanted to create my own, and my best friend was using the same saved data. Does it need to be slots?! or can we find a way to save on hard drive of the PS3? Need more space in any case!

Back