Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
40 seems like too many characters for a 1v1 game. I think TTT2 suffers from this as well even tho it's 2v2. I wouldn't mind a cast of 20 actually different characters. Old characters get priority and introduce (or keep) a few new ones.

It just gets to the point where instead of spending time in the games meta, players are trying to remember data for tons and tons of characters and their moves.

It would be nice if they add missing contents mainly featured in SC2 as well as newer ones featured in later iterations. Also give the developers more time instead of rushing them.

Maybe with Street Fighter currently dominating the PC fighting game market, Namdai will want a bit of that action and I won't have to get a PS4 at all, MGS notwithstanding.

40 seems like too many characters for a 1v1 game. I think TTT2 suffers from this as well even tho it's 2v2. I wouldn't mind a cast of 20 actually different characters. Old characters get priority and introduce (or keep) a few new ones.

It just gets to the point where instead of spending time in the games meta, players are trying to remember data for tons and tons of characters and their moves.

Yea i see where youre coming from but around 40 isnt too bad. SSFIV AE had 39 i believe and Mortal Kombat Armageddon had 65 characters! not to mention that SC3 had 26 plus 17 unique bonus characters (43 different styles total).

More variety is better especially since SC5 dropped the ball with its roster. plus remembering characters is easier than you think, i always know my matchups in SSFIV

Tbh i think the mechanics for SCV are really smooth so i'd be happy with little to no chances in that area.
The netcode is fantastic and I would be disapointed if SCVI's netcode wasnt as strong.

^These are my 2 favourite things about SCV as for changes.-

I agree with about 35 - 40 characters possibly some being DLC (imo the current number of characters isnt enough)
these would include SCV characters, some returning SCIV characters, possibly around 5 completely new styles, 1 mimic and a guest character.

Story mode, individual story lines for everyone, 10 to 15 episodes and a difficultly change option.

Museum feature having background info and concept art

Woo CAS great, how about CAT! (Create - a - title) where you can change the colour and the text inside, of course swear words will be not allowed and they will have still plenty of preset titles to choose from.

Training mode upgrade such as frame data and a proper tutorial for beginners.

A couple of other offline modes and sweet soundtrack and for me SCVI would be great

I say have the usual Arcade mode with a bunch of non-canon endings, but also have a story mode where you play as multiple characters over the course of the plot. And this time actually play as more than just three characters.

holy shit people actually care about the story?
I hope SC6 devs spend more time on the gameplay than the story mode so that way they don't need more then a few patches for balance

On the whole I agree with you.

Yet, I believe that games need to cater towards the casual/single player audience as well. A robust single player/story campaign can help sell the game to a lot of players who might not otherwise play it. As bad as it sounds, we need the games to sell well or the series will die. If we can get the game into lots of players hands there is a better chance that some will stick around.

CAS goes a long, long way towards making the game casual friendly. Which is great, it's fun to create players and the tools in SC5 a the best yet.

I think the focus needs to be on both the hardcore crowd (frame data, moves lists, deep training options, ect) and the casual crowd (story, single player activities, unlockables, minigames/quests)

holy shit people actually care about the story?
I hope SC6 devs spend more time on the gameplay than the story mode so that way they don't need more then a few patches for balance

I don't think any amount of beta gameplay testing will be as good as players spending the 6 months actually playing it and finding gameplay balance problems. I totally agree about bugs, but SC5 had relatively minor bugs (biggest one I could think was ducking grab CEs).

I'm assuming that PS4/Xbox will have a limited number of free patches, so spreading the patches out (unlike the 1.02/1.03 patch release coming out so close to each other) would be more beneficial for gamebalance patches.

Yea i see where youre coming from but around 40 isnt too bad. SSFIV AE had 39 i believe and Mortal Kombat Armageddon had 65 characters! not to mention that SC3 had 26 plus 17 unique bonus characters (43 different styles total).

More variety is better especially since SC5 dropped the ball with its roster. plus remembering characters is easier than you think, i always know my matchups in SSFIV
The amount of info you have to remember for calibur or tekken per character is way more than sf.

The amount of info you have to remember for calibur or tekken per character is way more than sf.
I agree. SF4 series is the FG I play the most this gen. Even with set ups and match up knowledge it's much much simpler to learn and get to the meta (start playing, mindgames, yomi, ect). With SC (and Tekken especially) you also have to factor in tons of moves + 3D movement options. SF is limited to 2D, some normals, a handful of specials and a few unique normals some characters have. Then they added meter to SC! (smh)

Still, I think that SC is the easiest 3D fighter to get into. They should use this to their advantage.

fair enough...i guess we can agree to disagree.

i know one thing though. they better not nerf Raph and Tira. i like them so much but i always feel like i have to work twice as hard as my opponent smh...

fair enough...i guess we can agree to disagree.

i know one thing though. they better not nerf Raph and Tira. i like them so much but i always feel like i have to work twice as hard as my opponent smh...
Speaking of Tira...

Man, I honestly think they should just streamline her entire moveset. Give her the best moves from both stances and be done with the stance changing. I think it'd make her a more potent character overall. They can still call out to it, she can be happy during some moves and angry/sad during others but I think the switching and set up/time for switching is not really doing her any good and imo doesn't make her all that more interesting. (in fact, I think it does the opposite, it turns people away from her)

A single moveset made up of the best moves from both stances would be my ideal situation for her. Just what I'd like to see anyway.

40 seems like too many characters for a 1v1 game.

How is more characters that aren't just clones/reskins/palette swaps ever a bad thing.

A single moveset made up of the best moves from both stances would be my ideal situation for her. Just what I'd like to see anyway.

Alot of people say that, but honestly at this point it kind of defeats the purpose of playing Tira, and since everyone is clambering for "More original characters!" I'll tell you that with Tira's mood mechanic (Although used before with characters like Gen) makes her one of the most unique characters on the roster.

yea Tira is definitely one of the most unique. they should keep mood swing tira just dont separate her movelist. ZWEI, Voldo, Setsuka, Yoshimitsu and Aeon fall in the upper levels of uniqueness too because of their odd fighting styles, appearance and/ or weapons.

without getting too fantastical (because i dont think thats what anyone wants) i think that if SC6 can push more in this direction, it can create some pretty unique characters.
why cant there be another rival lizardman that wants to kick Aeons ass?
why cant Voldo finally find an apprentice whos as weird as he is?
why cant a member of Yoshi's Manji clan make an appearance?
why isnt xiba fat?
why doesnt Raph have at least one badass malfested bodyguard since hes infected so many people in SC3?
why hasnt Yun Seong returned as a drunken swordsman because he failed to be a townhero?

just throwing ideas around. im all for anything unique which is why i want a big roster. introducing all the kids in SC5 was a smart move but simply not unique enough it left alot of people disappointed.

Ultimately, when people think Soul Calibur, they think single player. I still hear callbacks for SC2 Weapon Master mode to this day. I am reminded of an interview with Harada, where he mentioned that tournament players only make up 10% or so of a game's userbase (don't quote me on this).

SCIV and SCV single player have been abysmal, and I think this is the main reason why SC does not have a "big name" today. SCIII's single player was great (in my eyes), but it was PS2 exclusive, so I don't know how that affected the general populace. (Never mind the glitches, but honestly, for casuals the only glitch they would know about would be the whole "vanishing save data" bit.)

If the shareholders do not push NBGI/Project Soul and they are allowed to create a good single player along with the core experience, I think things will do well. I personally believe having a "draw" to the series like said single player will result in higher tournament turnout (or at least some passing interest) since SC does not have "brand power" like "I remember playing that at the movie theater" Street Fighter. Of course, online play is another "draw" that should be focused on (if they have any magic tricks for that, here's hoping...)

As for what I would want myself... I am pleased with the direction the series is going, and I don't have any strong opinion on the matter (I think whatever they do next, I will readily play without hesitation).

If I could request anything, though, it would be... more violent animations. Like Sophitia's toe stabs, Nightmare's SCIV A+K, Zasalamel's right-side throw. Not necessarily unrealistic, but still over-the-top, creative in a sort of twisted way, the kind of thing that would make you stop and stare, if you were passing a storefront monitor on the sidewalk.

Maybe "violent" is too strong of a word; I mean heavy in intensity, passion, etc. There is a difference between violence and gore; I find modern developers can be heavy on the gore, but the actual content is not very violent at all, but rather detached.

knee-gif.14464

I know when I saw FilthieRich demo this on the Gamespot stream, SCV was as good as bought for me.

(As a small sidenote, I think a beginner's character, whose "damage" attacks (i.e. 3B and the like) lead to attack throws on normal hit instead of combos, would be interesting, too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back