Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying everyone hates SCV, but the majority prefer the setting of the previous games as they were the ones they grew up with. Why do you think so many people are hoping for the time skip to be undone, especially now that PS has a new leader?
It really baffles me how you come to these conclusions. It seems like a lot of your points rely on the premise that the majority of the Soul calibur established fanbase are not happy with SC5. Sales is a decent metric to measure this, but then you can attribute some of it to starwars vs ezio. SC4 was released at a time when fighter game market were not as saturated, and it was one of the earlier ones with online access.

I don't want to go on a quoting war path but you should have substantiated your claims of "so many people" and "majority" to put those subjective descriptions into any sort of relevant context. I recognize that appealing to the masses is VERY important to ensure the life of the game, but I haven't seen anything credible from you regarding the masses leaving the game solely because of the 17 year time skip in the storyline.

How does doing an awkward time skip that removes the characters people like, thus alienating a large portion of the fanbase, "grow the series and appeal to new players"? The series took a giant step back with nowhere to go from where it was, and it certainly didn't appeal to new players or even old players since the sales were a huge stepdown from SCIV.
Again, solely attributing the reduced sales because people didnt' like the storyline is absolutely silly and narrow minded. I know you said you don't wanna talk about this, but i'm putting this out there so no one else will come to conclusions based on half-truths and assumptions which is dangerous for this community as it perpetuates ignorance.

Personally, i'd like to know if there are any new players who started in SC5 and are threatening to leave if Natsu gets replaced back by Taki or some other ironic turn-around of events.

---

As for community feedback, who knows since the only communication we have right now is PR spam where as in SCV, alot of community feedback was taken.

While that's a worry in the future, in the moment that is an unfair comparison because what is the point of having PR relations regarding Soul Calibur Lost Swords/ unbreakable soul? The game was never meant to be even remotely competitive, so listening to feedback would basically consists of talk regarding equipment. Its sad that SC5 is basically reached the end of its life.

I'm with you if SC6 gets announced and we have no one similar to Daishi who (despite not having any english) made an attempt to touch base with this community and others outside Japan.

If SC6 was helmed by another ex-competitive player with a focus on making the game appeal with depth-of-gameplay from the versus mode perspective (rather than CAS or single player modes themed) I'd be ecstatic. It doesn't have to be Daishi himself. I did appreciate Daishi for the tightening up the game play and trying to do a tekken 3 next-generation jump. Cryofreeze = magically frozen basically.

Holy cow, can we just have a ft10 thunderdome between Malice and Nyte to settle this?

To me, it seems like scrubby casuals don't like SCV, while people who are somewhat competitive like SCV.

When I first started SCV, I was a filthy casual scrub. I wanted SCV to fail and I liked SC4 more.
But after playing for awhile, I realized how much better the gameplay/balance is than previous installments.

Seriously why do people hate SCV that much?

Well casuals tend to not like the "real" side of fighting games. I watch ussf4 and umvc3 videos as well as other games from time to time and without fail somewhere in the comments a casual will say that the game is boring.

In streetfighter, watching footsies is boring to them although pretty interesting to someone who isnt casual and in marvel theyll claim theyre button mashing or in mk that they spam or in tekken that they wont let the person get up.
Anyone who reaches beyond the point of casual will quickly realize the world of mindgames, reading moves and baiting reactions.
These games are boring simply because they dont understand.

In Soulcaliburs case its the repetition of combos and tech trap knowledge that turns casuals away. In reality a skilled player is simply maximizing his/her damage, figuring out patterns and guaranteeing punishes.
No shit Tira keeps doing gloomy 66b at the end of her combos the player is simply maximizing his damage.

Now for seasoned vets that dont like the game i think it mostly comes down to nostalgia and also judging the game on soley what its done wrong. They want their game the way they want it. I personally have no problems with project soul adding Ces Bes and Jgs it doesnt break the game and thats all that matters. I also think vets expect more from sc5 (as they should) but that shouldnt cloud what sc5 delivers and thats clean competitive play. Sure some characters are cheaper than others but what game isnt like that?

When they make SCVI (because they will, eventually), in regards to the cast, I think it'd be best if they kept everyone. They could easily say Soul Edge ripped open a hole in time and Astral Chaos, which then sucked the veterans into the newcomers future (or vice versa). That would please both competitive players and casuals.

While that's a worry in the future, in the moment that is an unfair comparison because what is the point of having PR relations regarding Soul Calibur Lost Swords/ unbreakable soul? The game was never meant to be even remotely competitive, so listening to feedback would basically consists of talk regarding equipment. Its sad that SC5 is basically reached the end of its life.

I'm with you if SC6 gets announced and we have no one similar to Daishi who (despite not having any english) made an attempt to touch base with this community and others outside Japan.

Not just taking feedback, but answering people's questions about the series as well. Right now we have 0 interaction with another human being on that side where as Daishi answered questions from both casual and competitive players.

SCV is love, SCV is life.

y u no Super SCV? bandai namcock? just ditch Lost $words already.

This is what I wanted. Take that extra story and Lost Swords stuff and put it in an update for SCV so you please both groups instead of splintering them between games.

Now for seasoned vets that dont like the game i think it mostly comes down to nostalgia and also judging the game on soley what its done wrong. They want their game the way they want it. I personally have no problems with project soul adding Ces Bes and Jgs it doesnt break the game and thats all that matters. I also think vets expect more from sc5 (as they should) but that shouldnt cloud what sc5 delivers and thats clean competitive play. Sure some characters are cheaper than others but what game isnt like that?

Some people just want to look at the changes that they don't like or what the game did wrong or the couple of characters that were removed instead of what the game did right. SCV got alot of things right which will keep the game going until the next game comes out.

Some people just want to look at the changes that they don't like or what the game did wrong or the couple of characters that were removed instead of what the game did right. SCV got alot of things right which will keep the game going until the next game comes out.

Exactly my point. Its part of human nature to point out everything thats wrong with something.

If you honestly sit down and look at what really matters (the gameplay) Soulcalibur5 is pretty damn good.

When they make SCVI (because they will, eventually), in regards to the cast, I think it'd be best if they kept everyone. They could easily say Soul Edge ripped open a hole in time and Astral Chaos, which then sucked the veterans into the newcomers future (or vice versa). That would please both competitive players and casuals.
That's not going to please competitive players. They would bitch about having "clones". Getting really sick of people acting like competitive players are the only ones who matter when they don't even make up 1% of the people who buy these games.

That's not going to please competitive players. They would bitch about having "clones". Getting really sick of people acting like competitive players are the only ones who matter when they don't even make up 1% of the people who buy these games.
Competitive players don't really bitch about "Clones". How would you know if they do? You're not competitive and therefore not their voice. However Ninjaguy is competitive, and so am I. Ninjaguy clearly wants all characters in, regardless of if they're clones. As for me, I prefer characters such as Taki, Sophie,MiNa, *insert your waifu here* stay out of the main game and are instead reintroduced to skins and voices for CAS. Characters that don't have their direct styles in SCV such as Yun, can either A) Reappear or B) be replaced by someone else, while the Yun skin and Voice are available for CAS.

The only reason why I prefer that is it would prevent the character select screen from looking disgusting, and it adds some neat stuff for casuals to dig up and get for playing the game modes. It also doesn't put pressure on the team to make more actual characters, so that way they can spend more time tweaking out glitches and balancing the cast.

Last edited:
Competitive players don't really bitch about "Clones". How would you know if they do? You're not competitive and therefore not their voice. However Ninjaguy is competitive, and so am I. Ninjaguy clearly wants all characters in, regardless of if they're clones. As for me preferred characters such as Taki, Sophie,MiNa, *insert your waifu here* stay out of the main game and are instead reintroduced to skins and voices for CAS. Characters that don't have their direct styles in SCV such as Yun, can either A) Reappear or B) be replaced by someone else, while the Yun skin and Voice are available for CAS.

The only reason why I prefer that is it would prevent the character select screen from looking disgusting, and it adds some neat stuff for casuals to dig up and get for playing the game modes. It also doesn't put pressure on the team to make more actual characters, so that way they can spend more time tweaking out glitches and balancing the cast.
I know this because I've heard competitive players on online forums and that's exactly what they say. I don't need to be competitive to know what they're like.

How many competitive are there? Around 1000 maybe 2000 (and I'm being generous here). How many people buy these games? Over a million.
where are you getting these numbers from? I'm starting to be really curious about Your sources.

where are you getting these numbers from? I'm starting to be really curious about Your sources.
Where's YOUR source that there are more competitive players than that? Seriously, take a look around and count how many competitive players there are in total compared to the amount of people that buy the game.

Im not attacking You, simply asking for Your sources, why so aggressive?

Im not claiming anything. Im not giving You any numbers or my personal biased opinion, so the burden of proof is not on me

Im not attacking You, simply asking for Your sources, why so aggressive?

Im not claiming anything. Im not giving You any numbers or my personal biased opinion, so the burden of proof is not on me
Seriously, prove to me that competitive players make up more than 1% of the amount people in total that buy each game.

Seriously, prove to me that competitive players make up more than 1% of the amount people in total that buy each game.
You claimed the 'less than 1%' number, you should prove it. Im not stating anything. What made You think I disagree with You? I simply want a source, statistic. if you dont have it, You shouldnt yank facts out of your ass

You claimed the 'less than 1%' number, you should prove it. Im not stating anything. What made You think I disagree with You? I simply want a source, statistic. if you dont have it, You shouldnt yank facts out of your ass
I'm not "yanking it out of my ass". It's very easy to see, it's a simple comparison of numbers. Count how many people you seem in tournaments and on forums etc., then compare them the amount of people in total who buy each game. Why don't you do the same?

I know this because I've heard competitive players on online forums and that's exactly what they say. I don't need to be competitive to know what they're like.
What the hell are you saying? Ninjaguy A COMPETITIVE PLAYER, READ THIS WITH ME, COMPETITIVE PLAYER said that it would be best to keep the entire cast. Most competitive players, don't really give two shits if the entire roster is there. I, A COMPETITIVE PLAYER PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD READ THIS, offered my opinion which is NOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU THINK THEY ALL SAY. Seriously learn to read and offer an actual rebuttal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back