Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, i'm surprised they didn't just have a pay-to-unlock mechanic for SC:LS to really see how popular the missing characters (from SC5) really were. The namco team would gather some interesting data back, but I suppose its also a pricing strategy.

some of you guys take a video game series way too fucking seriously

come on.. this is the CASUAL forum where, ironically, they take things the most serious here.

some of you guys take a video game series way too fucking seriously
videogamesseriousbusinesssrsbsns.jpg

WARNING: LONG-ASS READ

Here is my overall wishlist for Soulcalibur VI:

Setting/Characters

I would like the story to use Astral Chaos combined with both swords simultaneously being destroyed to bring the series back to the past, with all the old characters returning. Sadly it would seem that from LS, Patroklos and Pyrrha are here to stay even if everyone else returns. If they must return, I do not want them to be the main characters of the game. In fact, I would like it if Patroklos became the host of Soulcalibur like Siegfried was to Nightmare with Elysium taking over. That would actually be better than normal Patroklos. Pyrrha is the better of the two, actually coming across as being more heroic by accident despite being a villain in SCV. I would like her to retain her monster arm, as that makes her unique.

Siegfried had his time in the limelight as the main character, so do think a new protagonist is needed. I for one think Sophitia would make for an excellent protagonist, as she makes her son look like a little bitch. I can easily imagine that happening to because she seems to be Hoshino's favorite character. The new profiles on the SCV website do hint at some things, and act as if the time skip didn't happen. I think based on Z.W.E.I.'s new profile they could bring him back from a new starting point, having some kind of brother-like relationship with Siegfried. That would work in my opinion, since he's such a mystery in SCV that he could be written off as never aging or something.

As for new characters, I would like to see Ezio's style adopted by a brand new original character since it fit in so well with the SC universe and we could finally use it for CAS. I would prefer the original character to be a good guy swashbuckling pirate type character similar to Edward Kenway from ACIV. He could be an enemy of Cervantes who attacked his crew. I would also like to see another female Fu-Ma Clan ninja who uses a revamped version of the Kunai + Shuriken custom style from SCIII. A bounty hunter who uses dual hookswords would be perfect too. A perfect guest character in my opinion would be Batman, yes BATMAN because his star power would attract more buyers in series that's fading. Who wouldn't want to be Batman?

My ideal roster:

Sophitia (main protagonist)
Cassandra
Pyrrha (with monster arm, plays like a mixture of her original and Omega versions)
Siegfried
Hilde
Raphael
Amy
Ivy
Cervantes
Tira
Mitsurugi
Taki
Setsuka
Yoshimitsu
Xianghua
Kilik (Staff, not mimic)
Maxi
Yun-seong
Seong Mi-na
Talim
Zasalamel
Lizardman (yes LIZARDMAN, not "Aeon". Uses a refined ax & shield style, because his SCV style sucked)
Nightmare (new host)
Voldo
Astaroth
Rock
Patroklos (possessed by Elysium, uses a style similar to his original in SCV)
Z.W.E.I.
Dampierre
Algol
Edge Master (the one and ONLY mimic character in the game)
Soul of Devil Jin
New Character (Ezio style)
New Character (Kunai + Shuriken style)
New Character (Dual Hookswords style)
Batman (Guest Character)

Modes/Creation

Apart from the story mode, I would like to see another mode that I could sink my time into outside of arcade and online matches. Something like Weapon Master from SCII or Chronicles of the Sword from SCIII. I found both modes in each game to be addicting and rewarding, and either of them alone would give you bang for your buck. I do not want Tower of Lost Souls to return however, I found it to be lacking.

As for Creation, I hope that with the power of Next-Gen they will be able to have than just 50 slots available for your creations. I'm hoping for 300, so I can let my imagination run wild without having to worry about running out of slots to use.

While CAS was heavily improved in SCV, there is still a lot of room for improvements. I would like a section called "Species", you could set your characters race to "Human", "Elf', "Golem", "Lizardmen", or "Skeleton". This would give you much more freedom over how much you can customize your character. I could create my own Lizardman or Astaroth, and the Skeleton won't take up the "Undergarments" space. More fantasical things should also be equipable, such as Nightmare's monster arm, Pyrrha's smaller monster art, Yoshimitsu's robot arm, and Astaroth's heart. All of the characters main costumes should be usable, but only after they are unlocked by completing a difficult challenge. I would like to be able to color each eye individually, and set them to glow like Nightmare and Oprah.

Finally, with Next-Gen I want lag-free online battles. That would make playing online more enjoyable because it would be much more fair than SCV where you were screwed if your game was laggy.

Alright, I think I'm done. Damn, I wasn't initially expecting to write an essay but I had to share my thoughts on what I would like to see in SCVI. Do you agree with me? What would you like to see in SCVI?

Last edited:
Out of all the new characters Patroklos is the worst. Seriously, he's the worst "hero" in the history of fiction. They try to tell you he's a "knight of justice" and blah blah blah and that we should accept him as the new hero of the series. He's a self-absorbed, cocky, naive, ungrateful, revenge-seeking, racist asshole.

Are you fucking kidding me dude? Patroklos is the most swagtastic character in this game and wow people like you just prove that h8rs gonna h8.

I think you could use some swift knees of justice to da face from @Blueboyb to learn that he has the best overkill move in the game that garners maximum swag points.

you must be malfested. gtfo.

Last edited:
Phew thats a long post. Youve got alot of good ideas and stuff i agree with.

Ive always thought soul calibur had something going for it with sc3s soul arena modes and chronicle of the sword. Damn were those fun.
Also i wish the restrictions on CaS were removed. I cant wear a belt because i have on a jacket... Come on son.
Also, which should go without saying, lets have the characters have their own stories. I like the way the soulcalibur.com site has everyones bios changed. Now lets just commit.
Finally lets tie up some loose ends. The next soul calibur should put a definite end to certain characters "careers" if thats the route project souls wants to go. I know sc5 wasnt complete so lets see wtf happened to everyone if sc4.
Combine the sc4 roster with leixia natsu xiba zwei viola (whos reverted back to amy) elysium (who has her own style) pyhrra (who should be a complete minion of tira and NM in sc6 btw) pat and edge master.
And go ahead and add a few new characters which is pretty typical of the series so far.
Bangoo
Theres supposed to be lizardmen running all over the place. How about a different weapon and style lizardman.
Malfested Toki, which is takis master and the reason why takis missing
A member of yoshimitsus manji clan
A member of schwartzwind

So many possibilities in all aspects really. We just gotta pray project souls gets the time they need and are listening to the sc communities comments and decide what will work and what wont.

Man, the wait for SCVI to be announced is killing me. I'm more curious as to what SCVI is going to be like than I have been for any other SC game before announcement. Now that Daishi and Tago are out of the picture I really want to see what direction the series will take.

Thank The Flying Spaghetti Monster that they left though. It scares me to think about what the series would have become if they stayed in charge. Imagine Talim being replaced by some annoying anime knock-off *shutters*.

Man, the wait for SCVI to be announced is killing me. I'm more curious as to what SCVI is going to be like than I have been for any other SC game before announcement. Now that Daishi and Tago are out of the picture I really want to see what direction the series will take.

Thank The Flying Spaghetti Monster that they left though. It scares me to think about what the series would have become if they stayed in charge. Imagine Talim being replaced by some annoying anime knock-off *shutters*.
*tips fedora*

It's still going to be a long while before anything is announced. And we were going in the right direction with SCV.

If you want to see the future we may be heading in, look at Lost Swords.

It's still going to be a long while before anything is announced. And we were going in the right direction with SCV.

This is probably not a good sign...
I have a bad feeling about this...

I can see it being announced next year. And what do you mean "we were heading in the right direction with SCV"? That game damn near killed the series, unless you wanted it to die then it's not the right direction.

Also, Lost Swords (as well as HD Online and Unbreakable Soul) are probably being used to fund SCVI as all three games are incredibly cheap and easy to make.

SCV was only on track in the improved CAS system and it's online play (including the Colosseum concept, which was awesome, though a bit short sighted). Sure, the balance was good, the stepping felt right, but the core changes to GI and inclusion of supers was just unforgivable and out of place. That alone makes SCV NOT Soulcalibur at its core. We don't even need to consider SCVs terrible roster and near complete lack of lore.

There is no salvageable future for this series. What little story SCV brought backed the series into a wall and left no interesting places to go. The only future I can see that works is a total reboot. As I've said in part before, reclaim the series roots, use the Soul Edge title again. Refine, but not entirely reimagine the cast. Gameplay may be best as a sort of SCIIIAE with a polished yet subtle version of quickstep. Darker and grittier (with Unreal 4 tech that may be a given anyway) and of course more violent. Now if Namco is happy with the best sales SC has had, sales that rely almost entirely on guests and boobs, then keep it "clean". Of course doing so, taking that gamble, is entirely contingent on if they can secure a guest people care about, and don't mind being taken as seriously as say, DOA.

However, if they want to get more sales with a new and larger audience, they gotta step it up. As we have already seen, even with guests and some great racks, you can't hook the fps douche crowd without some real violence to sell the impact of hits. The candy colored, happy go lucky, CG esq days of the Japanese fighter are over. Now they could go stylized toon shading with unrealistic, exaggerated expressions (that also sell the impact factor), but that's simply not Namco's style (and they would be labeled as copycats / trying to cash in even more on SF). Most of the world expects realistic violence with realistic CG style visuals.

Personally, I'm fine with the amount of violence SC has had and it's visual style. But for the scope of epicness I want to see this series one day achieve, it needs the sales to match. Tapping some of MK's market would certainly enable this.

I can see it being announced next year. And what do you mean "we were heading in the right direction with SCV"? That game damn near killed the series, unless you wanted it to die then it's not the right direction.

Also, Lost Swords (as well as HD Online and Unbreakable Soul) are probably being used to fund SCVI as all three games are incredibly cheap and easy to make.

Hopefully we'll hear something in 2015, but that's still a long while, nor am I expecting something to happen until they're done with the other projects they're working on.

SCV nearly killed the series? Is this based on facts or fanboyism? How can SCV be close to killing the series but not SC3 or SC4 which were in worse shape? Plus Soulcalibur was pretty much done after Broken Destiny was released.

SCV was heading in the right directly because of the amount of people who play the game, because the game became a hit in Japan, and because it made the series stop being about which character had the largest boobs. Could it have used more casual stuff or __ character added? Sure. But some of you are trying to paint this picture of the game being the worst ever just to get your point across when it's not.

SCV was only on track in the improved CAS system and it's online play (including the Colosseum concept, which was awesome, though a bit short sighted). Sure, the balance was good, the stepping felt right, but the core changes to GI and inclusion of supers was just unforgivable and out of place. That alone makes SCV NOT Soulcalibur at its core. We don't even need to consider SCVs terrible roster and near complete lack of lore.

Saying SCV is not Soulcalibur is ridiculous because SC goes through drastic change in each game. The series even started out with meter. SC4 didn't stop being SC when soul charge was removed. Plus Lost Swords has more meters than SCV has, so there's more people who are forgiving of their inclusion.

There is no salvageable future for this series. What little story SCV brought backed the series into a wall and left no interesting places to go.

If there was no salvageable future, then they wouldn't have released more SC games after SCV. And if there was nowhere to go, then people wouldn't be playing and spending money on Lost Swords.

The only future I can see that works is a total reboot.

They rebooted the series with SCV. And making the game more like MK isn't the right direction either.

How did it nearly kill the series?

How about the fact that the sales were much lower than previous installments? How about the fact that many people were pissed off by the changes and wouldn't buy another game if they stayed? Literally no one was asking for a "reboot" to begin with and yet it seems like the series is being rebooted back to normal. There is a reason why both the director and producer of SCV are gone, and why Namco pretended that the game didn't even exist.

How did it nearly kill the series?

How about the fact that the sales were much lower than previous installments? How about the fact that many people were pissed off by the changes and wouldn't buy another game if they stayed? Literally no one was asking for a "reboot" to begin with and yet it seems like the series is being rebooted back to normal. There is a reason why both the director and producer of SCV are gone, and why Namco pretended that the game didn't even exist.

SCV sold less than SC4, but TTT2 sold way less than Tekken 6 did. There's just more fighting games in the market to compete against. Maybe you could sell some more copies if more casual stuff was added, but on the flip side that stuff doesn't have much replay value and those casuals will just trade the game in for something else after a couple of weeks.

Nobody asked for a reboot, but now you guys are constantly asking for one because SCV didn't fulfill your fantasies.

I know why Daishi is gone, and Namco has done things like edit profiles on their website and went back to using the old logo which I like since the new logo was mad fruity, but they're not completely pretending that SCV doesn't exist since much of those assets are being used in Lost Swords.

SCV isn't perfect, but it did more to revitalize the series than you want to admit. If the game nearly killed the series, then Namco wouldn't have put so much money towards supporting the scene when the game came out, nor would they have went through the effort of bringing on a new producer and releasing 3 more SC games, so the series is still alive and well. What direction they go in for the future is anyone's guess.

And the game that people are really pretending that doesn't exist is SC2HD. For all the talk people do about SCV needing to go back or not being SC, there's not alot of people who play it which tells me that you guys have no idea what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back