Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
People in this thread are acting like the game is happening when we legitimately have zero proof of its existence.

Namco would've already hinted at a new Soul Calibur release. There's no way they'd be able to keep this quiet for so long. At this point we'd already know of it for sure and we don't.
a healthy dose of skepticism is good in a discussion. true or not, it's been very fun speculating and the only thing left for me to do is wait for a week or so.

People in this thread are acting like the game is happening when we legitimately have zero proof of its existence.

Namco would've already hinted at a new Soul Calibur release. There's no way they'd be able to keep this quiet for so long. At this point we'd already know of it for sure and we don't.
Just because people thought Harada saying literally "Uhhh...." in a Tweet was proof of SCVI you gotta be all skeptical now?

I agree. I think SC should get a more westernized writer or a writer from a western-styled RPG, because the characterization In SC can be pretty cringey at times, and the endings to most of the games show this at its worst in some ways. A lot of it comes from just the way SC just seems to be written more like an Anime or with a lot of Japanisms rather than an actual medieval story. If they got a writer who writes for RPGs like Dragon's Dogma, the Witcher or Dragon Age, the story would probably be presented a lot better. Without the "this is true justice!" garbage, and the "lets go home together" stuff.
Dragon's Dogma? Witcher? Dragon Age? What are you talking about there? SC is not RPG it's fighting game.

It's difficult to think of a writer that would work in my opinion... I do like the idea of having a Western writer try taking on the story for the game if we're truly stuck with having a Cinematic Story. While I do not know any names in particular, the writers for games like DA: Origins and Witcher could work nicely in telling a story about the characters.

Also who's Michael Bendis again? The name sounds familiar... Isn't he a Marvel writer or something? I've not heard good things about Marvel's comics these days...

I'm not going to lose hope until Namco's event. After that, if there is no mention, then I think we can resume the proper send off.

That being said, Max really coming out and saying that he thinks it is going to happen is really the part that I find hard to write off. He is one of the most, if not the most, watched FG youtuber out there. He has mentioned SC a few times, and I would be really surprised if it didn't happen. Soul Calibur is unique, and I highly doubt that it is going to end with SCV.

I would almost like SCVI to be the retelling of Soul Calibur story wise. Start from the beginning but rewrite it. Kind of how MK9 did that with a whole restart of the story. I think that, at this point, it is the best bet to make. Make Cervantes the big bad again, and have siegfried stop him but introduce the characters like Cassandra, Talim, Setsuka, and Tira now.

It's difficult to think of a writer that would work in my opinion... I do like the idea of having a Western writer try taking on the story for the game if we're truly stuck with having a Cinematic Story. While I do not know any names in particular, the writers for games like DA: Origins and Witcher could work nicely in telling a story about the characters.

Also who's Michael Bendis again? The name sounds familiar... Isn't he a Marvel writer or something? I've not heard good things about Marvel's comics these days...
I'll write it.

https://8wayrun.com/threads/doom-of-omen-a-tale-of-edges.16006/

I would almost like SCVI to be the retelling of Soul Calibur story wise. Start from the beginning but rewrite it. Kind of how MK9 did that with a whole restart of the story. I think that, at this point, it is the best bet to make. Make Cervantes the big bad again, and have siegfried stop him but introduce the characters like Cassandra, Talim, Setsuka, and Tira now.
I think SCVI should find away to reintroduce the story and use its old characters to establish what it is, but not necessarily rebooting it unless they somehow were able to retell all the events in an updated way. Though would that be too long a story or would it be possible to just portray them in a Tales of Souls fashion to summarize canon events?

I think SCVI should find away to reintroduce the story and use its old characters to establish what it is, but not necessarily rebooting it unless they somehow were able to retell all the events in an updated way. Though would that be too long a story or would it be possible to just portray them in a Tales of Souls fashion to summarize canon events?
I think they could getaway with summarizing some canon events, and if they wanted to keep certain characters dead they could not even introduce them. Hell they could do a lot, and I would really like the idea of even a soft reboot.

I'm just waiting to hear that line again:
"Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."

Well since its in Japan I would assume they would only look to other Japanese developers if they did outsource. I'd think they should grab someone from capcom for that seeing as they have more interest in westernizing their storytelling. DA: & Witcher might be out of the question to look at. I just don't know what PS would do. I only think they assume SCV's bad story was due to it being short, when in actuality it was bad from the start based on what they did have...Considering the older games didn't really establish the character's personalities and motives within the storymodes before V I really don't know what they would do.

It was just examples of the suggested direction of writing for SC that has a similar premise but present it better than what SC has in its writing.
I think that is unnecessary because it's too expensive for fighting game make such cinematic scenes and it is take too much time to develop it. Do you want delay this game till 2020?
It's better make story mode with 3 paths & 3 endings for each playable character. 1st path soul edge (bad ending), 2nd path soul calibur (good ending) and last on is neutral path (normal ending). You select your favorite character and make choices, and depend on your choices you will get different ending. If you chose for example take soul calibur and destroy soul edge on your path you will get good ending, if you chose ignore soul edge and soul calibur you will get neutral normal ending. Endings can be text based or some short rendered scenes.

Yeah, Bendis is a comic writer. His work on the Ultimate Spider-Man comics are amazing (at least the ones I've read anyway). And yeah Marvel stories nowadays aren't really that impressive.

Anyway, done derailing...

I think that is unnecessary because it's too expensive for fighting game make such cinematic scenes and it is take too much time to develop it. Do you want delay this game till 2020?
It's better make story mode with 3 paths & 3 endings for each playable character. 1st path soul edge (bad ending), 2nd path soul calibur (good ending) and last on is neutral path (normal ending). You select your favorite character and make choices, and depend on your choices you will get different ending. If you chose for example take soul calibur and destroy soul edge on your path you will get good ending, if you chose ignore soul edge and soul calibur you will get neutral normal ending. Endings can be text based or some short rendered scenes.
Soul Calibur = good ending? Why? For who? I thought it was already established that Soul Calibur is even more of an asshole than Soul Edge. At least Soul Edge says in your face that its either killing or dying, but Soul Calibur pretends to be a pure and heroic force of good, when in reality it fucks people as much as Soul Edge.

Big shot writer who worked on Spider-man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and X-Men. He's now at DC. The guy can write some good stories, though I don't know why he felt it was necessary to make Iceman homosexual. BUT for a fighting game with limited lore compared to a comic series, I think he could write a better, cohesive story for SC than what we have had so far.

Dragon's Dogma? Witcher? Dragon Age? What are you talking about there? SC is not RPG it's fighting game.

By citing those games, I think what's referring to is writers who work with medieval times, dark ages. and the supernatural themes, good candidates to write a SC story.

You're right. It just seems too overly ambitious to really make the storymode into a movie when all we really care about is just the fights and exposition for them. I was more concerned about the writing for the exposition though because bad writing pretty much wastes that money used for them to begin with. I did think SCV had good rendered cutscenes, but the story was still so badly written it added nothing. So having good writing ideally would save them more resources and if they knew how to present it in a simple enough way where the exposition itself was emphasized over the actual cinematic.

Last edited:
Just give me a traditional Arcade Mode with character intros & outros to show what every character is up to in the current timeline, as well as introduce the new characters. No need for a big cinematic story where all characters are forced to intertwine, 'cause it will most likely turn out mediocre at best in the end.

Who said they couldn't do a cinematic story mode? Almost every fighting game has one and they've been developing the game for a while. In fact, just doing what you described would disappoint many and would come off as lazy. I know these stories may not be the best, but honestly I'd rather know what actually happens in the story than be left guessing what the story even was.

Who said they couldn't do a cinematic story mode? Almost every fighting game has one and they've been developing the game for a while. In fact, just doing what you described would disappoint many and would come off as lazy. I know these stories may not be the best, but honestly I'd rather know what actually happens in the story than be left guessing what the story even was.
You need linear cinematic story mode which you beat one time and forget it like bad dream (SCV)? No, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back