Soul Calibur Opinions, Popular and Unpopular...

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
Soul Calibur IV is my least favorite game in the main series (not that it's a bad game). I wasn't a fan of the game's slow pace.

If there is any old mode worth bringing back or making a successor to, it's The Gauntlet from Broken Destiny, as it not only tells a light-hearted, humorous story, but it also teaches the player how to play and tests their skills rather than how lucky they can get mashing buttons against the A.I..

This video review sums up why Lost Swords fails.

I really think that they should focus on developing the characters and mechanics introduced in Soul Calibur V. It had the best game-play mechanics and was the most balanced in the series. The new characters have potential and should be given more development. If I ever want to go back the old mechanics, characters, and single player modes, I could always go back to play the old games and/or await an HD re-release. I want the series to evolve and try new things rather than sell me the same game I have already been playing for years.

Though I can understand why people dislike SCV, I think that they blew things out of proportion. Despite its flaws, I think it's underrated.

Soul Calibur III had not only the best casual modes, but also the best stages and musical score.

I don't mind the Equipment Destruction mechanic.

The series needs more fantasy-based styles like Z.W.E.I.'s and Viola's. Why not? The series takes place in a universe with two sentient shape-shifting swords.

Though I wished for CaS exclusive styles before, I'll have to retract my statement. I instead wish for more unique styles. I've heard people say the Creation exclusive styles in Soul Calibur III were not that well developed. Project Soul would make more developed styles if they attached to more developed characters.

If I was making a remake of an older game, rather than just make an HD remaster like SCIIHDO, I would remake the entire game from scratch and add a whole bunch of new things that weren't in the original version. That way, it would feel like a new game.

The Soul Series needs a multi-player Tag-Team mode. Soul Calibur IV had Tag-Team and it was an interesting idea, but it was only implemented in single-player modes.

Creation should not stop at making characters. Why not weapons and arenas as well?

Last edited:
My opinions may not fit the majority here but, I'll lay my stance on how I reflect on the franchise.

- SCV is my least favourite of the franchise, because of the convoluted story, simplified commands, ripped off SF mechanics, Supermoves, and too cartoony of a setting tone.
SCLS only worsened everything I hated from the new management over the direction, turning it into a tales-ish game as opposed to a pure imput-reaction based fighter.
- I liked SC4 but only in visuals, themes, and its darker lure. But yes, it was too slow and weighted.
- I liked SC3 for the content being more than generously applied, the lack of guests and gimmicks, the rather dark storyline, Night Terror, and smooth, very fast combat even if unbalanced for others. I found it the most consistently fluid. Argued or not. Its my experience.
- I also liked SC3 for its cultural diversity, not in characters persay but in stages, aesthetics, and designs. I would rather they go back to that and if there was anything to take from SF, it should be that concept. Nothing more.
- I disagree with the addition of adding more Final-Fantasyish fighting styles. I dont like them and they've done nothing but cause problems since SCV had came out. All the balancing issues, and the breaking of immersion. Its not a realistic game at all but, I miss the basics of it being a Swords vs Shields game. Adding ZWEI & Viola as they were is like adding swords and guns into SF.

Overall I wish the series would step back and take itself more seriously again, and ground itself into is former image, not try to appeal to all the popular cliches & fanservice of other franchises.

If I was making a remake of an older game, rather than just make an HD remaster like SCIIHDO, I would remake the entire game from scratch and add a whole bunch of new things that weren't in the original version. That way, it would feel like a new game.
The people that want to buy a game like that don't want an entirely new game.

The people that want to buy a game like that don't want an entirely new game.
Maybe I should rephrase that and say that I want it to feel more like a new game. I would add a bunch of new content that wasn't in the original, plus some rebalances and some glitch fixes while still being true to the original.

The meter added depth, it's just the Critical Edges that's shit. Brave Edges is perfectly fine tho.
Well, they're tolerable as combo finishers but I wish they were intergrated in a more natural, smoother way like how unblockables are. That can be tweaked, but I agree CE need to go in my honest opinion.

I absolutely despise Xianghua, she's an annoying brat who is not "cute" but pathetic. Too bad she had a replacement who is gonna follow her path.

I wish that SC games in the future followed the more "historic" setting like in the original Soul Edge/Blade, it felt like the Game of Thrones of games: it's fantasy but a bit realistic. In the Soulcalibur art book (it's excellent) the amount of backstory of the series is amazing, I wish the future games were as detailed as the art book.

The problem with SC in general, in a nutshell, is this:

You have 2 distinct customers. First there is the hardcore, tournament type, and then there is the casual, play for fun type. It's impossible to cater to both. sc3 was a casual at it's core; tons of SP content with horrendous mechanical, glitch, and balance issues, and of course the hardcore group hated it, while the casuals loved it.

SCV is the exact opposite. Hardly any SP content worth a damn, good netcode and 'decent' gameplay (I say decent rather loosely).

Casuals make up the bulk sales, while hardcores bring attention and focus to a game years after it's release (as seen today).

The problem is that both groups are necessary for a game's overall success. Without continued exposure from the tournament scene, most casuals would drop the game after the first time they get natsu-bomb-spammed to death. A SF fan who watches SF tournaments may see that the same event is playing SC as well, and may decide to check it out. Because to be honest, that's pretty much the only advertisement this game has gotten.

I feel like Project Soul is forever going to battle trying to balance casual vs hardcore appeal. Going to the extreme in either direction is death for the series, and trying to compromise those 2 things may result in a game that fails at both.

With each new game declining in sales compared to the last one (with the exception of sc3 because it was only on the ps2), a realist would say that the game is doomed. I would say that there will be one more sequel, and then the game will die for good.

And maybe this is a good thing. Fighting games are rehashes of old relics that fundamentally play the same way they did in the 90's. Either evolve, or death by stagnation. Despite the mechanics of SCV being very different from previous games, it's still just a rehash of SF mechanics. But what can I say, I guess I'm just tired of the same old shit. Or better yet, I'm tired of FG's in general. These days I find much more fulfillment playing open-world RPG's and FPS's.

Sick of memorizing combo's, sick of grinding in training mode, sick of 'studying' frames. I'm just sick of all that shit. Besides, if you find yourself working 50+ hours a week like me, you don't have enough hours in a week of free time JUST TO MAINTAIN THE SKILLS YOU ALREADY HAVE. If I wasn't playing for at least an hour a day, I would quickly get rusty. I don't have time for that shit anymore.

RIP SC.

I think as far as the action and playability goes Soul Calibur III Arcade Edition (Version B) was one of the best games in the series. Everything feels so balanced.

Back