Soul Calibur V Raphael - Nerfs? Buffs? Change Of Style?

sc4 raph has way better TCs than having to rely on 6B+K. Making it actually useful (at a range outside of 2A).. is another story

please make 6B+K TC. the animation looks like it would TC
That move probably and hopefully won't event exist SCV, but, if it did, all it needs is rape gauge damage (which I keep assuming will return). Rape gauge damage like Seong's Crushing Blade rape gauge damage.
Three-piece moveset once again:
Technically correct swordsmanship
Show-off moves (which, in SCIV, ought to have done high gauge damage for being "insulting" - reducing the opponent's willpower etc.)
Vampire powers

Except 'technically correct swordsmanship' is based on an understanding and study of how fighting with weapons works between two normal Human beings, so the second two have to account for the crazy shit SC characters actually do. (This could be why Raphael ends up unbalanced alla' time.) E.g. Raph's 33KB lets him chase super tech jumps... kinda. So mainly, the showy moves of Raphael ought to break from 'technically correct' and do outright, muscly attacks, which, although with crap risk/reward in an absolute sense, will be a tool he will need for a player who thinks he can predict a (possibly bizarre) move 100%.
And if you've ever been CH trying to interrupt into, say, a Sophitia B2 chain / Yoshimitsu 44BA, you know Raph's footwork precision stops at a superficial level too. :\

Imagine raph entering a stance move that does nothing but taunt unless an opponent is not aligned with him directly (ie they step or 8wayrun) and he'll respond with some sort of tracking move to punish. "newbie" friendly!

SC II Moveset + SC III Appearance = GOD MODE!

P.S. WHAT DO ALL THESE LETTERS AND NUMBERS MEAN?!

Its on one of the stickies. The number convention is just a way to quickly identify a move by its input. The numbers correspond to the direction on your NUMPAD. For example, 6 = forward , 44 = back, back. All inputs are referenced from a player one point of view.

Its on one of the stickies. The number convention is just a way to quickly identify a move by its input. The numbers correspond to the direction on your NUMPAD. For example, 6 = forward , 44 = back, back. All inputs are referenced from a player one point of view.
...Oh... 6 B BBB FTW I guess.

how about SC4 pokes + SC3 stance and movement/auto evades?

raph back steps like a medicated sloth why is that? hes supposed to be a zoner

SC II Raphael is still my favorite (though I'm best with SCIII Raph because that's the game I've played the most). It's been kind of annoying to have to re-learn him each game, but I'd hate it if he didn't change from SC IV. SCIV Raphael had some cool moves, but let's be honest: On the whole, he was pretty crappy.

Auto-dodges would be cool, but aren't necessary. I'd like to see more useful teleports, better combos, quicker movements, and a few better horizontals.

As far as design/costumes/story goes, I want to see something resembling his SC II attire. Also, I'd prefer him to just be a snobby noblemen again, but that's unlikely with the vampire craze and all.

Honestly, though, I'll just be happy if he makes a return.

IF Viola is Amy, then I think Raph has a good chance of coming back and being involved in the story more, which would totally kick ass. I'd love that.

But if she isn't Amy... Then WTF were they thinking when they created her appearance? And Raphael almost definitely won't return. Sadface.

Auto-dodges would be cool, but aren't necessary. I'd like to see more useful teleports, better combos, quicker movements, and a few better horizontals.
auto evades would be infinitely more useful character

raph is a zoner

zoners constrict options and force people to play predictably making it easy to predict the type of move you will need to anticipade to AE

the teleport in SC4 is the worst move in raphs long list of shitty moves

*Hands gun* We're going to hold Project Soul captive until they agree to put Raphael in.

Haha, I'm in. Let's do this. :sc4rap1:

raph is a zoner

zoners constrict options and force people to play predictably making it easy to predict the type of move you will need to anticipade to AE

That's why I said a more useful teleports.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see auto-dodges back, I'm just saying since they already took them out I'd understand them not returning.

raph is a zoner

So true. Especially the last line...
Maybe, insteand of auto evades, autoGI and frame traps. Raph should be an interception bitch.

I watched raph's SCII movelist for the first time in quite a while and it made obvious the lack of variety in his repertoire in SCIV. In SCII, he had so many options...

raph doesnt need a teleport though he has excellent space control....he can pretty much go where he wants

I just cleaned up this thread a bit

try to stay on topic people

well here are some moves i would like to see back and some variations and add ons for them(if possible)

• SC2 A B ~ Prep. SC4 A B can be A 2B
  • SC2 1A with aGI properties (Mid Bs) the starting animation can look like amy's A+B but instead with his sword above him or keep the amy A+B animaition completely and make it aGI high As. make the input 1A+B and keep SC4 1A
  • SC2 8A+B to enter prep as 8[A+B] but just have the aGI and the the first hit of 8A+B
  • SC3 214 (with aGI ) coming back but lessen the retreat step range to not be a big zoning tool for raph.
- 214 A can be SC2 Prep I A as a low that is slightly unsafe (-14 to -16?) its a low plus there will be
slight spacing.
- 214 B can be the attack of Sc4 44B with its auto attack animation.
- 214 K can be SC4 44K for whiff punishing and only combo with B 2B/2K

• SC4 66A having ONLY the the aGi of SC2 Prep I and an optional input for it AFTER the opponent blocks or is hit with 66A. make it aGi high As. i think that if 66A was 0 on NH and CH still, the aGi could be used to make the opponent be a liitle scared of interrupting raph on neutral frames with an i111 - 14 AA and 2As when he hits you with 66A. If a successful aGi make it be an automatic attack of SC2 prep I B.
  • SC3 236 returning but dont make it be like Pat's or phyrra's 236
- 236 A B can be a high/ mid string with its TJ as in SC3
- 236 A [ B ] enters prep
- 236 B as in SC2 -SC4
- 236B BE (it would work like the last 2 hits of SC4 prep BBB:B, first hit would be
66B in SC2 then a 236 B as in SC4)
- SC2 236A+B
- i dont know what to do for 236 K

• SC4 VE A+G/B+G BE . the BE will either result in increased damage or increase rate of health absorption or both.
  • His CE could be like amy's CF in SC4 if amy is out
  • KEEP Raphael's linearity please. As a fencer he should be linear but also have tactical moves like fients and aGIs. He should have a good step also. He should not have any horizontals that enter into prep. SC4 44B A and SC2 A B are exceptions because the last his of each are a B and linear move input. In SC4 i found his prep stance more fluent.
  • And of course please let Raphael be in SC5!
Sorry for the giant spaces. I dont know how to fix it. I will add more and revise/delete stuff as time goes by.

I like these 2 ideas you propose :
SC2 A B ~ Prep. SC4 A B can be A 2B
SC2 8A+B to enter prep as 8[A+B] but just have the aGI and the the first hit of 8A+B

The others, I'm not sure to fully grasp them. But in general, I prefer SCII Raph. Personnally, I would love to see SC2 214 A/[A] and SC2 WRA+B make a come back.

I do disagree with Raph's linearity : this is rapier fencing, a weapon made for both cutting and thrusting. I read a few fencing treatises, and it does involve horizontal slashes. I know it's a game and it's not about realism, but still...

Oh ! And if they could turn the "broken thrust" (3B) into a real thrust...

Looks like we to have a SC5 subforum!
"I have returned"

soulcalibur-v_2011_10-20-11_005-jpg.7419

full-17.jpg

Looks like someone on Team Soul was listening to the Night Botte idea. Nothing vampiric that I can see in any of the screenshots. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing unless they're useful without being absurd.

Back