SOULCALIBUR V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition

THE SOUL STILL BURNS!
Mad Catz Press Release said:
Mad Catz(R) Enters into Agreement with Namco Bandai Games Inc(R) to Create SOULCALIBUR(TM) V Arcade FightStick Soul Edition​

SOULCALIBUR(TM) V Arcade FightStick Soul Edition IsExpected to Launch Worldwide January 2012

SAN DIEGO, Oct 25, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. ("Mad Catz") (AMEX/TSX: MCZ) announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Namco Bandai Games Inc, to produce the SOULCALIBUR(TM) V Arcade FightStick Soul Edition, a Tournament Edition fighting game controller for use with the upcoming SOULCALIBUR V videogame. The agreement gives Mad Catz worldwide rights to ship products for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoftand for the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system from Sony(R).

"The FightStick product category continues to perform well for us globally and the addition of the popular SOULCALIBUR franchise leverages both our brand and market leadership." said Darren Richardson, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. "Leveraging licenses on a global basis is part of our long term growth strategy to build our worldwide business."

About Mad Catz
Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (AMEX/TSX: MCZ) is a global provider of innovative interactive entertainment products marketed primarily under its Mad Catz(R) (casual gaming), Cyborg(TM) (pro gaming), Tritton(R) (gaming audio), Saitek(R) (simulation), and Eclipse(TM) (home and office) brands. Mad Catz also develops flight simulation software through its internal ThunderHawk Studios(TM); operates flight simulation centers under its Saitek brand; operates a videogame content website under its GameShark(R) brand; publishes games under its Mad Catz brand; and distributes games and videogame products for third parties. Mad Catz distributes its products through most leading retailers offering interactive entertainment products and has offices in North America, Europe and Asia. For additional information please go to www.madcatz.com.

Social Media
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MadCatzInc
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MadCatzInc
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MadCatzCompany
6280012897_135a9736d0_o.jpg

Here are images of the SOULCALIBUR V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition:

6280012867_d813ebb93b_b.jpg

6280012783_0e64a99d71_b.jpg

Here are some key points about the SOULCALIBUR V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition:
  • Tago-san, the producer for SOULCALIBUR V told us at E3 2011 that he wanted a stick similar to the SSFIV Chun-Li Tournament Edition FightStick. We agreed to make something similar; but to make changes/improvements that cater to the fighting game fan and of course the SOULCALIBUR fan
  • That being said, the SOUL Edition has a translucent body all around with the artwork of the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur swords tying into the case design
  • The FightStick has a new button layout and has a button mapping that is unique to SOULCALIBUR. The new button layout and stick placement is following the NAMCO NOIR arcade panel layout; this layout is most reminiscent of the classic SEGA Astro City layout
  • The bezel on the SOUL Edition FightStick is what we call the "EDGE" bezel; which helps give it more of a SOULCALIBUR look & feel
  • The SOUL Edition uses 6 stainless steel screws; we've listened to your feedback and have noted that rusty screws are not appealing
Here are additional images showing off the Noir layout and also the new stainless steel screws and 'Edge' bezel:

6280530746_1479f0191e_b.jpg

6280012647_af38f8e3a5_z.jpg

There are some other tidbits here and there; but we'll wait to reveal that as time goes on. This FightStick is slated for availability in North America, Europe and Japan.

Please let me know if there are any questions. :D

Be sure to put a couple to side for a raffle/giveaway/donation drive. Maybe do a promo at Winter Brawl in February for the first big SCV tournament.

/hint

Trust me, you guys have seen my involvement at fighting game tournaments and supporting them with prizes/money.

I've been waiting for an excuse to support more games. ;)

See you guys at all the SCV majors too :D

But the the SEGA Astro City 2L 12B second player layout that you posted, aka the HRAP1/T5 Anniversary layout... There's a reason why Hori doesn't make it anymore. It's not popular.
Yeah, thats true... you gotta go with what sells. From what I've seen with this layout though, a lot of people just remove those right 2 buttons and put hole caps on them. The problem is that the layout makes them pretty much unusable.

If I get one of these sticks... which I will probably end up doing... the first thing I'm doing is removing those 2 right buttons. =P

Lol, I see you're a fan :).
Just a lot-o-bit. Only issue I have is you can't buy these things pre dual modded and It's a bitch to get it done by your own means or too expensive to have someone do it for you ($80...ya no I know the parts don't cost near that much and the labor is not $50+ worth)

As long as this stick isn't wireless, I'm sold on it.

IFB: Learning to do a dual mod is easier than it sounds. Even a caveman can do it if you have a little bit of handy skill. There are also a ton of tutorials- make sure you get a Cthulu switch, and buy a used 360 controller and crack it open for the PCB and go from there.

TE sticks have PLENTY of room on the inside for the extra pcb.

As long as this stick isn't wireless, I'm sold on it.

IFB: Learning to do a dual mod is easier than it sounds. Even a caveman can do it if you have a little bit of handy skill. There are also a ton of tutorials- make sure you get a Cthulu switch, and buy a used 360 controller and crack it open for the PCB and go from there.

TE sticks have PLENTY of room on the inside for the extra pcb.

Don't we have to do/learn soldering? I get nervous when it comes to engineering techniques like that, otherwise, I'd do it myself too

Soldering isn't as hard as it seems, especially with modern soldering irons which more or less do all the hard work for you when it comes to liquifying the metals needed to make a clean solder, and distributing the right amount.

Don't we have to do/learn soldering? I get nervous when it comes to engineering techniques like that, otherwise, I'd do it myself too
That's where I draw the line too. From a consumer standpoint it's a nuisance. Granted I shouldn't have spilled a beer all over my buttons, there should still be a way to clean them from the inside that doesn't require low level welding techniques.

Soldering isn't as hard as it seems, especially with modern soldering irons which more or less do all the hard work for you when it comes to liquifying the metals needed to make a clean solder, and distributing the right amount.
It really depends on what TYPE of solder you use too. Usually in the factory, they use Silver Bearing Solder; which is very cheap and easy to dole out. The issue with this is it requires very high heat and its hard to remove (de-solder).

If you go to a RadioShack or electronics store, you will find Rosin Core Solder, which is much better. Rosin Core Solder lubricates the solder as you apply it, so it comes out smoother. The plus side is that it requires less heat to liquify and it looks nicer. The sound side is that it burns very easily and it can go to looking nice to a burnt mess if you dont know what you are doing.

I like the blade like bevel around the edge and the translucent case looks interesting but I'll wait in see for the final product. The artwork though is a bit ... meh and boring -plain vanilla... just the two swords? Character art would have been a nice touch or better yet you figure -- could have asked Namco/Project Soul for some exclusive art.

You mean 360 version. Unless you mean to mod his old TE. :)
Whoops. Yes, I meant to say 360 version. That's what I get for posting drunk.
I'm no stick expert (looks at everyone)...
Liar.
But the the SEGA Astro City 2L 12B second player layout that you posted, aka the HRAP1/T5 Anniversary layout... There's a reason why Hori doesn't make it anymore. It's not popular.

The defacto standards in arcades now are either A) Vewlix style or B) Noir/Astro City.

THE IDEA of an arcade stick with a downward right slant is stupid yes. But this is not the case. As everyone knows. The Noir/Astro layout is ergonomic.

But then again, I'm no stick expert. (Looks around).
Yes, I've tried that same layout (in fact Project TwinTail had something similar to it) and I didn't really like it. As for the Noir/Astro City layout, if you ask around the stick modding community, you'll find nothing but praise for it. The ergonomic aspect for it comes from the fact that it follows the curve of your fingers better than say, the Vewlix layout.

I like the blade like bevel around the edge and the translucent case looks interesting but I'll wait in see for the final product. The artwork though is a bit ... meh and boring -plain vanilla... just the two swords? Character art would have been a nice touch or better yet you figure -- could have asked Namco/Project Soul for some exclusive art.
You can just make your own art then. The ease of modding these things is half the fun of a TE.

Hate to be that guy, but about how much is this going to cost? I'm not a stick player, but I'd be interested in buying this and learning how to use it if I can afford it.
If you're not accustomed to sticks I'd suggest picking up a cheaper stick to see if it's something you really want to learn. The Hori EX2/VX sticks aren't near the quality of TE types but they are sturdy enough to last some rough usage while you adjust from pad -> stick.

It's also relatively easy to get higher-quality replacement parts and install them.

If you decide to pick up a TE stick, just keep in mind that it can get frustrating when switching from a pad - in my experience, the hardest part is getting used to how smooth and reliable a stick is. Like, it felt like my mind was two steps behind my fingers for about a month. :P

Yeah, I've heard all about the horror stories about making the switch. I've been wanting to give it a shot, but I haen't been able to afford one. But I should be able to soon, and what better to start out with than a Soul Calibur stick? It just seems right to me.

And it isn't like I'm 100% new to stick. I've used Enkindu's in the past in casuals, and it felt like I was trying to eat soup with a fork.

While this stick is beautiful, and I will most likely end up buying one, I'm going to have to agree with Jaxel on the button layout. I still don't own a TE, and I'm STILL using a HRAP1 to this day, because I don't like the button layout on the TE or HRAP2/3. I just hate that the inside 6 buttons are so close to the stick. and the outside 6 are either spaced too far apart (TE) or an uncomfortable downward curve (HRAP2/3)

Live streams

12 Viewers
N1NJ4_VS
N1NJ4_VS
Ranked (Cass Main) [PC]
3 Viewers
FuzzyCatGirl
FuzzyCatGirl
Thirsty Thursday!! Good vibes, fun games, big smiles. Stay thirsty my friends! =P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back