TEACH ME THREAD!

I'm not tournament worthy but I definitely know the in and outs of soul calibur, my skype is Abascmr feel free to pop me a message!
hey guys my name is 9 and I'm really new to competitive soul calibur. my goal isn't to compete or anything I just don't like being the average spammy player (a scrub) so I was wondering is there any high level players here I can maybe skype chat with or something ? I just have a bunch of questions about soul calibur I'd like to ask someone who is very knowledgable . thanks xD

have we got a Nightmare mentor for the PS3 scene?
Granted I ain't got the best NM around, I wouldn't mind showing people the basics and trying to bring them up to intermediate lvl

lol you don't have to be a high level player. I just didn't wanna be talking to someone who doesn't really understand the game. pretty much so I don't end up thinking/practicing the wrong things. thanks for the replies guys! I'll shoot ya a message here shortly xD

hey guys my name is 9 and I'm really new to competitive soul calibur. my goal isn't to compete or anything I just don't like being the average spammy player (a scrub) so I was wondering is there any high level players here I can maybe skype chat with or something ? I just have a bunch of questions about soul calibur I'd like to ask someone who is very knowledgable . thanks xD
There is a lot of information in this thread if you are interested

http://8wayrun.com/threads/the-basics-of-soulcalibur.15258/

It better be 9 questions each with a 9 star rating. BTW talk to Alex J.

anyone out there willing to teach me the Raphael MU? got no idea what to do in this match-up other than step left...which doesn't seem to be working too well ftm either, someone plz help

anyone out there willing to teach me the Raphael MU? got no idea what to do in this match-up other than step left...which doesn't seem to be working too well ftm either, someone plz help
I was trained in Raph's style and can play him pretty well. If you want to spar and practice with me on PSN, message me here and tell me in detail what you're struggling with. Maybe it's just Raph in general? Either way, I can help you find a solution.

I was trained in Raph's style and can play him pretty well. If you want to spar and practice with me on PSN, message me here and tell me in detail what you're struggling with. Maybe it's just Raph in general? Either way, I can help you find a solution.

aah cool man thanks, man. I'm free all this week so I can pick a time that suits you. I honestly think it's the MU in general...but I will go into detail as soon as we can get this thing going

aah cool man thanks, man. I'm free all this week so I can pick a time that suits you. I honestly think it's the MU in general...but I will go into detail as soon as we can get this thing going
I just realized that your version of MU is different from mine. I thought you meant Mutual Understanding, a college term. I realize now that you're talking about match-up data, which unfortunately I do not have at the moment.

Stepping left is an accurate way to dodge almost any of Raphael's attacks. Unfortunately, Raphael is so quick that it requires precise timing. The timing is so precise in fact that Just Guarding might be easier. The timing is right towards the end of his moves. If you get the timing down, you can dodge a majority of Raphael's horizontals.

Here are some things I do:

Preparation combos:
- His first attack may be a high or a mid. Raph's 66B can be easily dodged and somewhat easily Just Guarded. If he uses 3B, block the first one and duck if they continue with the fast high swings. Counter as you see fit.
- Be careful when sidestepping too close to him during preparation. A good Raph player will use his Prep K-K BE.
- If he continues an onslaught of strikes, use a GI and counter.
- If he tries to delay attacks to fish for a CH, grab him when he is in prep.

Shadow Evade:
- The only real threat is his Shadow Evade B attack, which can most certainly lead to some devastating combos.
- The second greatest threat is the low sweep, which leads to an okizeme game. Stand block at first but try to low block and counter if you see it coming. It can only be used at very short range. If it hits, a smart Raph player would follow up with 22B, 3B prep or 11K. The 11K is the slowest and can be blocked easier from standing to ducking. Even if the 11K connects, it's just a slight trip. They can't follow up with anything but more okizeme. The others lead to combos. Stand up and hold block for best results. Try to catch the 11K and counter.

8-way run:
- Raph starting his 8WR moves can lead to several things. Most of the real threatening 8WR moves can be sidestepped rather easily. So if he moves, you'll want to move as well. Side stepping can and will avoid everything except for his 11K and 22A. Both of which cannot lead to combos. Everything else can be avoided. Of course there is his 44A-B prep but most Raphael players don't use it and you have to be very close to get caught with it. Not to mention it's very slow and can be punished.

Grabs:
You'll want to tap B to avoid a ring-out. His 66A+G grabs are the most threatening, so unless they never use them tap A when grabbed.

General rule:
- Try to use fast mids to interrupt his moves. Using mids will interrupt tricky moves such as his 4B.
- His power lies in his center. He may catch you with horizontals but they don't do much damage.
- Sidestepping and ducking in most cases are a safe way to defend against him.

I think that about covers it. If you have more questions just ask.

Last edited:
I just realized that your version of MU is different from mine. I thought you meant Mutual Understanding, a college term. I realize now that you're talking about match-up data, which unfortunately I do not have at the moment.

Stepping left is an accurate way to dodge almost any of Raphael's attacks. Unfortunately, Raphael is so quick that it requires precise timing. The timing is so precise in fact that Just Guarding might be easier. The timing is right towards the end of his moves. If you get the timing down, you can dodge a majority of Raphael's horizontals.

Here are some things I do:

Preparation combos:
- His first attack may be a high or a mid. Raph's 66B can be easily dodged and somewhat easily Just Guarded. If he uses 3B, block the first one and duck if they continue with the fast high swings. Counter as you see fit.
- Be careful when sidestepping too close to him during preparation. A good Raph player will use his Prep K-K BE.
- If he continues an onslaught of strikes, use a GI and counter.
- If he tries to delay attacks to fish for a CH, grab him when he is in prep.

Shadow Evade:
- The only real threat is his Shadow Evade B attack, which can most certainly lead to some devastating combos.
- The second greatest threat is the low sweep, which leads to an okizeme game. Stand block at first but try to low block and counter if you see it coming. It can only be used at very short range. If it hits, a smart Raph player would follow up with 22B, 3B prep or 11K. The 11K is the slowest and can be blocked easier from standing to ducking. Even if the 11K connects, it's just a slight trip. They can't follow up with anything but more okizeme. The others lead to combos. Stand up and hold block for best results. Try to catch the 11K and counter.

8-way run:
- Raph starting his 8WR moves can lead to several things. Most of the real threatening 8WR moves can be sidestepped rather easily. So if he moves, you'll want to move as well. Side stepping can and will avoid everything except for his 11K and 22A. Both of which cannot lead to combos. Everything else can be avoided. Of course there is his 44A-B prep but most Raphael players don't use it and you have to be very close to get caught with it. Not to mention it's very slow and can be punished.

Grabs:
You'll want to tap B to avoid a ring-out. His 66A+G grabs are the most threatening, so unless they never use them tap A when grabbed.

General rule:
- Try to use fast mids to interrupt his moves. Using mids will interrupt tricky moves such as his 1B.
- His power lies in his center. He may catch you with horizontals but they don't do much damage.
- Sidestepping and ducking in most cases are a safe way to defend against him.

I think that about covers it. If you have more questions just ask.
thanks man, very helpful...I'll try and take these into account.
Spacer Raphs aren't too much of a problem...as a NM I can relate it comes down to who can space better and who has more patience, because I lack the latter I will occasionally move right in and just do stuff.
However aggressive Raphs who rushdown like no tomorrow seem to be where the problem lies

thanks man, very helpful...I'll try and take these into account.
Spacer Raphs aren't too much of a problem...as a NM I can relate it comes down to who can space better and who has more patience, because I lack the latter I will occasionally move right in and just do stuff.
However aggressive Raphs who rushdown like no tomorrow seem to be where the problem lies
Problem solved. To the best of my knowledge, anyway. You know where to find me if another problem should arise.

Re-edited. So long story short. I "thought" I was getting good, but I had no idea what I was doing up until yesterday. I learned the moves, figured out my range to an extent, and realized that I've kind of been wasting my time playing as a casual. I have some questions, and I would appreciate it if you could share some insight with me.

1. Punishment data. There are so many moves that can be punished, and even more if you master JGs. I was told to focus on the 10 main moves of each character to start. Doing them in order isn't so bad, but I am terrible at reacting to them in random order. Even more in real combat.

My question is, does this technique require lots of time in practice, or are there ways to learn this faster? My other question is, a lot of moves I can do much more easily for less damage, but the recommended ones are too advanced for my level of execution. I am practically brand new to fighting games.

2. Reaction time. I feel I would be twice as good if I could block sweeps. I can just barely block them in a VS battle, but online the frame delay keeps me from blocking them. My input is there but my guard is just a split-second too slow, which is an improvement for me. Viola in particular kicks my butt with just three moves, but when I go to practice mode, record the moves and play them in random order, I cannot keep up with the timing. I make friends with people who spam sweeps because I feel it will help me in the long run.

My question is, will my reaction time get faster if I keep practicing the way I have been, or would it get faster if I just practiced blocking sweep after sweep in general, even knowing what is coming? Maybe I should ask some friends if they would help me practice by fighting while throwing in the more-than-occasional sweep?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Re-edited. So long story short. I "thought" I was getting good, but I had no idea what I was doing up until yesterday. I learned the moves, figured out my range to an extent, and realized that I've kind of been wasting my time playing as a casual. I have some questions, and I would appreciate it if you could share some insight with me.

1. Punishment data. There are so many moves that can be punished, and even more if you master JGs. I was told to focus on the 10 main moves of each character to start. Doing them in order isn't so bad, but I am terrible at reacting to them in random order. Even more in real combat.

My question is, does this technique require lots of time in practice, or are there ways to learn this faster? My other question is, a lot of moves I can do much more easily for less damage, but the recommended ones are too advanced for my level of execution. I am practically brand new to fighting games.

2. Reaction time. I feel I would be twice as good if I could block sweeps. I can just barely block them in a VS battle, but online the frame delay keeps me from blocking them. My input is there but my guard is just a split-second too slow, which is an improvement for me. Viola in particular kicks my butt with just three moves, but when I go to practice mode, record the moves and play them in random order, I cannot keep up with the timing. I make friends with people who spam sweeps because I feel it will help me in the long run.

My question is, will my reaction time get faster if I keep practicing the way I have been, or would it get faster if I just practiced blocking sweep after sweep in general, even knowing what is coming? Maybe I should ask some friends if they would help me practice by fighting while throwing in the more-than-occasional sweep?

Thanks for your time.
Honestly the best way to practice is to just play ranked, and if someone completely destroys you stop, look at the replay, analyze it, figure out what you did wrong and invite that guy to a private game and fight him again. The only things you should practice in training mode are things like just guards and combos/mix ups. Practicing defence against sweeps in training is kind of useless because you know it's coming. As an additional comment, you should be able to execute all of the moves you character can preform, just practice doing them in training mode until you can do them somewhat consistently and then jump into ranked. Hope that helps

Reactions: JTK
Sorry I looked for about 4 pages and couldn't find a Yoshimitsu teacher and the Yoshi General forum is kinda hostile. I'm trying to main yoshimitsu, and Maxi as well

XBL GT: iiRep Ghosts (or) Jr Nozzy

Available almost everyday 10:00Am-12:00PM Then 3:00Pm - 5:00 Pm pacific

Back