The Weight Loss Thread

Arrogant

[09] Warrior
Alright, so after enough time procrastinating, I have decided to really do something about my weight. I was really thin most of my younger life. In fact, on graduation at 18 I weighed 128lbs, wore 28 waist pants, and was fine as all heck (in my own opinion, of course). I'm 26 and today, after having weighed myself on my Wii balance board using the game EA Active Sports, I weigh at present 191lbs. (Blah...)

Enough of that, man... I'm going to take control. As a Hispanic, I ain't tryin' to be no diabetic. I'm not doing this for the women, though that isn't much a problem even now, or for any other superficial reason other than I wanna avoid any health problems and wanna feel good about myself. All the other--attention from females and what not--will just be perks.

Today I'm on Day 2 of my diet and exercise plan. I'm using this thread as my motivation and personal log and want to share it with the rest of the Calibur community. I also am interested in hearing your opinions and expressions of your own weight loss challenges, plans, and victories.

Now real talk, I seen some of y'all. Some y'all in the same boat as me. Except for people like Whoazz, Mick, Omar, and InsaneKhent (skinny, frail b*tches). I'm gonna be in that category soon enough too. My target goal is to be 150 lbs. (That's 41 lbs I have to lose.) Let's go... (I might update with pics in the future.)

2egbadx.jpg
*This was me a few years ago at about 140 lbs.-150 lbs. This is my motivation. Dang I can be a sexy beast. I'm gonna live up to my name again.

Who are you calling frail?!!? Come to Rob's house tomorrow night so I can challenge you to a FT19 in thumb wrestling, loser has to throw themselves out of a second-story window.

That's what's up man! If you ever need help or tips i'll help in any way I can. This is kinda like the idea that SWbeta was introducing from SRK. You should get some people to join in with ya, people working out together with you > working out alone.

this year at DEVASTATION in july, i was a chunky 238 lbs. i'm also 6'2" and somewhat muscular, so 200 lbs is like the ideal weight for me. in the past 6 months i've dropped 35 lbs and am now hovering right on my goal!

the tricks for doing it, for me, were pretty simple. first, i cut out all soda and fruit juice completely. then, i set a four hour timer and made myself eat every time it went off to boost my metabolism. finally, and this was the hardest part, i banned myself from eating anything after 9 pm.

this worked great for me! i didn't have to exercise any more than normal, didn't have to monitor what i was eating, didn't have to cut out daytime snacking or cheeseburgers or anything like that.

good luck on your mission!

This is a great thread guys. I've been studying nutrition off and on for about 7 years and it's always good to bounce different ideas and perspectives back and forth (although I've always struggled with being severely underweight). I'm 5'8" and right now I weigh more than I ever have in my life at 135 lbs.

I can't do more than 10 minutes of cardio without running the risk of losing muscle mass, and as a result I still feel like I'm in horrible shape. The hardest thing for me is binging and eating enough calories to fuel my workouts without enlarging my waistline at the same time.

Are there any other hard gainers out there?

LOL @ Playboy trollin'.

Naw, I don't know if you are, but I was salty with that post, son. (LOL) I wish I had that problem. I mean, I did in my mid teens (15-19). I tried so hard to gain weight back then. I burned all that I ate just standing. Now... forget about it.

^ Why would anyone lose any muscle mass after 10min of cardio? In fact, you can do 40-60min of high intensity cardio 6 days a week and you won't lose any mass as long as you provide your body with an appropriate nutrition.

If you want to gain muscle without any fat at the same time , and you struggle to eat you are putting yourself in a very tough position.

Arrogant, good luck with your weight loss. It's really easy, and if you want to do it fast, check the p90x thread xD

running! Its probably the best thing you can do to get in shape as it works our all your muscles and strengthens your heart. Plus when you finish a long and intense run nothing feels better than when in your head you tell yourself your not going to reach the end of your run and push through and make it. One of the best feelings i have ever felt was finally finishing my first 4 mile run when it felt like my body was going to give out on me.

Running/jogging is my way of clearing stress by doing something productive and fun. Other than video games and music, this is what I'd do(if the weather looks great). I also do want to get into swimming as well. More workout because you're practically using all of your body. Not only that, it really makes you look good if you do it for awhile. But until I find a pool, I'm gonna stick with jogging. Stingy neighbors =/

^ Why would anyone lose any muscle mass after 10min of cardio?
High metabolism, hypoglycemia, and a busy lifestyle.

If you want to gain muscle without any fat at the same time , and you struggle to eat you are putting yourself in a very tough position.
That was my point. Right now about 50-60% of my daily calories (3000+) come from starches and rest come from meat and dairy products or dietary supplements. That fuels about 10-15 minutes of cardio twice a week and an hour of strength training three times a week. Under those (ideal) conditions my body typically gains 1 or 2 lbs of muscle over the course of a month, assuming I didn't have a cold or stomach bug anywhere in there. I can't work out any more than that as it is almost impossible for me to eat more than 3000 calories consistently. Any suggestions?

Arrogant: I get that reaction a lot but it's not as great as it seems. Burning fat might not be an issue but building muscle mass is.

Who are you calling frail?!!? Come to Rob's house tomorrow night so I can challenge you to a FT19 in thumb wrestling, loser has to throw themselves out of a second-story window.

Today there's games at Rob's? Hmm... gotta see if I can make it. Couldn't for NEC due to other responsibilities. I missed the guys. =( And my du', you know you got them long behind Korean fingers... a thumb wrestlin' match 'gainst you wouldn't even be fair, son.

Today is Day 3, y'all. One thing about this diet... I'm blowing up that bathroom, dun'. Clearin' my 'intestinals'. LOL
The 23rd (Day 13) of this month I will weigh myself to see what progress I made.

Just to give y'all an idea of how my plan's supposed to work, the way I'm eating and exercising now I expect to lose 9-12 pounds in the next 9 days. I've done this before and lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. After that, losing 4-6 pounds every two weeks.

So I started Dec. 10, that was Day 1. Day 12 would fall on the 22nd, by then I hope to be at least 181 pounds. Days 13 (24th) and 14 (25th) I eat what I want, Day 15 (26th) back on for another 12 days. So by the 6th (Day 27) of Jan. hopefully around 175, back on on the 9th, off the 21th and hopefully 170 lbs and so on and so on...

If 150 lbs is my goal and I stick to this like I should (I will do my best) by the 19th of March I should be at my final target weight. That's 3 months, plus some days. Y'know, thinking about it makes it feel a tad daunting, but seeing results is what'll push me. Also, I'm a big believer in "Pray for the things you want but work for the things you need". I both want and need this so, I'll be doing a lot of both.

Arrogant, IMO you should change your mindset about losing weight. You pay too much attention to the LBS you see on the scale. That's more destructive then you may think. If you force yourself to lose that much weight in such short amount of time, you will lose a lot of muscle mass and end up looking "skinny fat". You can lose 20lbs in one week, but so what if 90% of that would be water and the other 10% muscle. The fat will still be there and your body composition won't change.

@Kenk, why are you afraid of putting some fat in the process? Most people do while bulking, and in your situation you wouldn't have any problem in getting rid of it. I wish I could give you any tips, but your problem is the opposite of mine. I work out almost 7 days a week now, I eat less than 2k calories a day and I still have problem with losing weight. I think I lost only 4 lbs since november 1st (but it's all good because I finally start seeing my abs again so I'm in the right direction I guess). You got hypoglycemia from being underweight?

Arrogant, IMO you should change your mindset about losing weight. You pay too much attention to the LBS you see on the scale. That's more destructive then you may think. If you force yourself to lose that much weight in such short amount of time, you will lose a lot of muscle mass and end up looking "skinny fat". You can lose 20lbs in one week, but so what if 90% of that would be water and the other 10% muscle. The fat will still be there and your body composition won't change.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think I'll get that "skinny fat". (Mind the fact I italicized "think").
It's a low-carb diet that I'm on. Similar in a way to Atkins it's a lot of vegetables and protein; mostly proteins (to feed muscle) and the exercises I do are to retain and maintain that muscle (not really build). The premise of course is that with living a somewhat sedentary lifestyle, when consuming carbs (and for me that was a lot of the time) the body does what it should with it, which is burn what it needs and store the rest. For me that meant packing on the "pounds" in fat.
We all learned in middle school health there's different sugars and sugar is what the body needs for energy. The human body does a better job breaking down protein, generally speaking. So by doubling my regular consumption of it, I'm feeding my body and have the energy needed for my daily routine. The vegetables help with digestion and provide the vitamins, minerals, and fiber I need for all the meat that I'm eating. Along with that, I'm eating with each meal citrus fruits and drinking a lot of water, which helps with a lot with digestion. (By digestion I mean the body's chemical breakdown of the food to smaller components and its absorption after traveling in the bloodstream.)

The exercise is needed since it'll keep me from looking 'droopy', burns some stored fat, and helps with my metabolism. Also helping my metabolism is the fact that I'm timing my meals regularly. It's a rather simple plan.

Now, I understand pounds is just a term of measurement for weight--muscle weighs "pounds" too. For example, when reading Shogun's thread he said he only lost approx. 15 pounds (if I remember right) but went down in waist size. That's because his weight was being replaced with muscle while burning off the body fat. (I know you know this.) What I'm saying is it all depends on what a person's looking for. For me it's to get thinner, lower my weight, but not really bulk up. To achieve weight loss the other way I'd have to do rigorous exercise and, dude, I'm not feeling that at present. (LOL).

Benefit of doing it the P90X route is that it's easier to maintain your target weight once you've gotten there and clearly the healthier choice, but that's not to say the method I'm applying isn't healthy; just not as much as compared to the approach Shogun chose. Also, in relation to long term dieting and exercise, P90X's way makes it clear and adding weight in body fat is slower. Mine, it could come back in the same amount of time it took to lose it.

It boils down to lifestyle change. There was a popular diet a friend of mine got on called the Idiot Proof Diet. It worked for him. He lost over 50 pounds. In a FAQ it suggests that to maintain, after you get back to eating the way did, to weigh yourself at the end of every week and at whatever point you go over 10+ pounds, get back on for 2 weeks. I'll probably be doing that. Sounds annoying but the body can really get used to it. There are different diets yielding all sorts of good results. I'm givin' this one a try. I'll let you know how it goes. If it comes down to it, I may go the P90X route myself. (I had been considering it.)

@Kenk, why are you afraid of putting some fat in the process? Most people do while bulking, and in your situation you wouldn't have any problem in getting rid of it. I wish I could give you any tips, but your problem is the opposite of mine. I work out almost 7 days a week now, I eat less than 2k calories a day and I still have problem with losing weight. I think I lost only 4 lbs since november 1st (but it's all good because I finally start seeing my abs again so I'm in the right direction I guess). You got hypoglycemia from being underweight?
Gaining a little fat isn't a huge issue, at least not long-term. I just don't gain muscle mass for anything, and then eating like crazy only makes me look fatter, temporarily. When I burn off the fat though, I'd have gained almost no muscle, even after several months of consistent strength training. It's almost like my body burns muscle just as fast as it does fat. Could be a result of hypoglycemia since my muscles are constantly starved for carbs, especially after working out. I've always had really low blood sugar.

Arrogant I have to say that I agree with what some people are saying. You can loose 14 pounds every two weeks in healthy way, it just wont happen. If you end up doing that it is very probably that your immune system will suffer at the of those weeks.

Back