Theory Calibur/Go to DEV/Like This Post Thread

Were talking about a worldwide scene with like 50 tournament players. Asking for 4 kilik players is just as stupid as asking for 4 top level Amy players. Or 4 top level Voldo players. Or 4 top level Hilde players, even at the games zenith.

-Idle

Were talking about a worldwide scene with like 50 tournament players. Asking for 4 kilik players is just as stupid as asking for 4 top level Amy players. Or 4 top level Voldo players. Or 4 top level Hilde players, even at the games zenith.

-Idle
If you were paying attention I didn't specify a period. In SC4's entire life span for a top tier character kilik has had the least amount of top level presentation. Play the character, you'll figure it out on your own.

Over SC4's entire life, can you name 4 people who have placed top 5 in a major with Amy? Hint: I'll give you two: Thugish and Dreamkiller. Name 2 more.

The point I'm trying to make is your criteria for arguing what constitutes not brain-dead shouldn't be hinging upon these things. People almost universally consider Amy braindead and yet, I will bet you all the mexicans in texas you can't name 4 of them.

-Idle

Over SC4's entire life, can you name 4 people who have placed top 5 in a major with Amy? Hint: I'll give you two: Thugish and Dreamkiller. Name 2 more.

The point I'm trying to make is your criteria for arguing what constitutes not brain-dead shouldn't be hinging upon these things. People almost universally consider Amy braindead and yet, I will bet you all the mexicans in texas you can't name 4 of them.

-Idle
Interesting, you specified majors...no way I can remember that. However, I can add two very good players. STD and Alex. J.

Concrete example.
This is very easy to check. Play a character for 2 years against some people, then change for another. You'll win the firsts matches for sure. I won some matches against my sparring partners with Rock, Taki, Tira, Mina or Raph at first. Then after some weeks, I had to come back to Ivy in order to defeat them again. However it is true that my opinion on Zasalamel is probably wrong because of Omega. And, yeah Kura is a beast too !
I've been playing Raph for a long time. Also, Raphael is Edge's main character. He knows matchup very well. I also think Gohan and COP aren't using Raph like he should be used. Rufus told me when he come back than they play Raphael very differently (actually he said my Raph is 'special'). I get the results with him and I came to like him, I wish I could prove this somehow, but if video doesnt convince you then I dont know what to say.
You say I win b/c I'm better, I say they lose b/c they're not good enough (with Raph at least) with all due respect to Keev , his Raph is unimpressive at best. I still hold extremely high esteem of him as a player overall. He's top 3 on my presonal list of best players ever. But when he picks other characters its very different I saw his amy, talim and raph, each are not even close to his level of flow with Nighmare and "feel" of the game.
You can say the same about Zas, then there is Omega. Talim is pretty awesome in Kura's hands. I love how Raphael plays and I too used to think he's way too bad for a long time, but now I'm pretty confident he is actually decent once you master his ranged game.
And what is that about GI'ing 44B, Asura can be GI'ed too, does this mean it sucks? GI is not punishment, its 50/50. And 44B evades alot of stuff.
I know Rufus defeated all Raphael's of France 10-0.(at least thats what he told me) If I manage to beat him in a FT5 with Raph, would that prove my point? Or would you simply say I'm better and that's why? I am not sure I can beat him, b/c Taki is very hard for Raphael, but I believe I have a shot.

I know Rufus defeated all Raphael's of France 10-0.(at least thats what he told me) If I manage to beat him in a FT5 with Raph, would that prove my point? Or would you simply say I'm better and that's why? I am not sure I can beat him, b/c Taki is very hard for Raphael, but I believe I have a shot.

Yes it would prove your point.
Can't wait to see the match.

Interesting posts on Raph.
I think there are characters you can't really define an "optimal" strategy/way of playing because the "best" players of this characters either lacks competitive players or match up experience : Raph, Setsuka, etc...
The more you play, the more you find other tools that you can use, other feints, other mind games strategy that you can have to perfect your game against X character or Y player.
I know that Gohan has nearly perfect anti-Ivy / anti-Sets gameplay, but due to lacks of other characters versus he can't play as good as you guys would like it to be.
Personnally I have very good strategy against a definite number of characters but there are characters I have very limited versus experience against (Taki, Zasalamel, Siegfried, Sophitia, Cervantes for exemple). Just like some US guys were surprised by a competitive Setsuka in France (haha). Or a very good Ivy.
You should be more ... tolerant on vids, you can't ALL have a very big soulcalibur community. I personally have 3 players in my area and if I want more I need to travel to paris... And I seldom do.
What you need to understand too is that there are some characters that can't be played as good as they should if they don't have versus knowledge. For an exemple Mitsu and Amy are no brainers characters with built in mind games but you can't always play as effective as they can, shutting down the opponents if they take the wrong choice.

I can't wait to see Belial's Raph against Rufus' Taki. It will be very interesting.
Belial : What would be even more interesting is that you could explain and compare what is different in your Raph and in Gohan's or Cop's. And why your choice is the best.
IMO that would allow people to step up their games overall.

It won't prove the point because Belial knows Rufus and his Taki so well.

Still gonna be a good match though
In fact, Rufus lives in another city, and we dont have a lot of chance to play each other. Maybe once every 3 months Also I've been retired for quite some time from Calibur and still busy getting in shape.

I have a MM for 40$ set up with Rufus - Mitsu vs Taki
If I win, I will MM him again with my Raph.

Interesting posts on Raph.
I can't wait to see Belial's Raph against Rufus' Taki. It will be very interesting.
Belial : What would be even more interesting is that you could explain and compare what is different in your Raph and in Gohan's or Cop's. And why your choice is the best.
IMO that would allow people to step up their games overall.
I agree with your whole post.
about how Gohan play differently I will have to think and this takes time to review vids etc. I dont know if I'm willing to make the effort.

So be it.

Allright. After I beat Rufus with Mitsurugi (MM 35$, vids should be up soon, I guess) he refused to play MM vs Raphael, but we played in freeplay and I win 5-2.
Sadly, no video was captured b/c my TVtuner again broke up.

To tell the I'm not really satisfied with the win, bc I think Rufus was thinking about mitsurugi when we played and failed to punish well. Many things I did he didn't know like that 4a and 44b beat po or 44ab against evades. He couldn't gi 44b so he comes back in a month ready vs Raphael. Then I'll make sure to record

44B is awesome its also TC
I like how gohan play to tell the truth

@belial i am still waiting for a raph VS ivy or raph vs a very skilled soph that mostly because i can't understand how to play against a safe opponent that can evade without any risk 90% of your moveset.

I mean raph lose any chance against superTC or ranged fast moves expecially if your opponent begin to turtle like hell.

44B is awesome its also TC
I like how gohan play to tell the truth

@belial i am still waiting for a raph VS ivy or raph vs a very skilled soph that mostly because i can't understand how to play against a safe opponent that can evade without any risk 90% of your moveset.

I mean raph lose any chance against superTC or ranged fast moves expecially if your opponent begin to turtle like hell.

Does anybody actually throw out the superTC as an evade?

Back