Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Her combos are limited with it. Her non combo based damage out put is limited with out it. a little give and take I suppose :)
Really without her ball to start with her combos can do even more damage. do anything to get them in the air, then immediately follow up with AAB and they are in the air long enough to continue most combos its basically three extra hits that can do some damage.

Really without her ball to start with her combos can do even more damage. do anything to get them in the air, then immediately follow up with AAB and they are in the air long enough to continue most combos its basically three extra hits that can do some damage.
That post was made over 2 years ago when the game first came out and no one knew anything about Viola.

I am completely free to viola. Once she starts attacking I have no idea what to do. Could someone join me in a player match, run the viola train on me, and tell me when I need to step/interrupt/jg/eat it. Would be much appreciated!

If in doubt, GI. You know an attack is coming which you would otherwise be forced to take. Break her control and her rhyme with the GI.

It sorta depends on who you use against Viola. She suffers from characters with range like Nightmare, and Cervantes, maybe Xiba and Siegfried too. She doesn't do too well under constant pressure too. I imagine a character like Natsu could give her a hard time.

Viola revolves a lot around 6 B+K/3B/2k pressure. So, the key here is to keep yourself in a range in which you can easily out step that move, looking for openings, and then using attacks that have enough range and that are fast enough to stuff her options like 44 A BE. Learn the timing of punishment you have on something like AA/BB set orb.

Viola has T-Rex arms so she would have to be really close to get a throw off you. The stuff to be careful of during this range is her B+K BE when her orb is set. Its a dirty trick, but if you know about it, its easy to escape.

Do not approach a Viola who's back is next to the ringout, its never worth it. There is just too many mix up potentials she gains from that.

High level violas will be able to JG your orb GI/aGi attempts and then punish, so don't GI the orb every chance you get.

If you're just talking about scrubby online Viola's, a majority of them like to do 8 A+B. In which case, the orb hit is very easy to jg and punish. If you can't jg, its important to learn the two types of orb hits. The one you can step and the other one which you can punish without even jging.

In the end, the reason why so many Viola's win is because opponents don't know how to fight her because not that many people actually pick her (the first Viola I ever played was Kayane in person, that tells you something). Its easy to just look at her damage and call her overpowered, but when you get someone that knows how to fight her, it becomes hard for her to win. I've played enough good Viola's in the past, and only just recently have I started liking the match up. I wish I knew what I knew now back at EVO 2013. Now I just see her as ZWEI ver 2. Hope this helped somewhat!

Last edited:
if viola's CE juggles airborne opponent, what can I do to maximize damage in 1 hit? 4B? unblockable?

EDIT: huh 4B can't hit...

Last edited:
Moved to Q&A thread.
- Viola suffers from range, keep her at mid ranged and she will most likely throw out 66A or orb dance,
- Bait a 66A by side walking etc, and watch out for 66B
Up close just throw the shit out of her and move away, im guessing BB orb dancing is pressuring you

Check out Rings anti viola guide.

I'll just leave these here:

6B:G+K
22KB:4A+B
Any recall:44A+B (3B AAB 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A B+K BE:44A+B)
66K [BE]
Cancel recall 4A+B mid combo (like a SET 6B+K cancel from B+K BE)
66B WS 3B WS
3B WS 44A BE (have to B+K BE as the two hits are inconsistent near wall)
22B BE 1B WS 66B WS 3B (Inconsistent as all hell)

Last edited:
I'll just leave these here:

6B:G+K
22KB:4A+B
Any recall:44A+B (3B AAB 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A B+K BE:44A+B)
66K [BE]
Cancel recall 6A+B mid combo (like a SET 6B+K cancel from B+K BE)
66B WS 3B WS
3B WS 44A BE (have to B+K BE as the two hits are inconsistent near wall)
22B BE 1B WS 66B WS 3B (Inconsistent as all hell)
huh? what is going on in this? 6B and then taunt?

Yes, WS = W!

I've also got more conclusive tests on why 44a BE will drop sometimes, but right now I'm focusing on the hidden mechanics behind Hilde's C2B loop.

Just FYI, 4 is the max but you can get 10+ for the same reason you can NH 2a+b CE with Ivy.

And just so this post contains something about Viola, I'll be checking the interaction between her ORB wall game and moves such as ORB 6a+b.

Last edited:
Think slide input jf. I spam it after rounds, so it's not a very hard one to do.

Here's more stuff: it seems a move buffered during an orb recall will do the ORB version. There's some spooky stuff that happens though.

Try 2B+K 9B. It works, looks sexy, and does an ORB 9B. Now try 2B+K 8A+B. An ORB 8A+B... Followed by ORB stance!

This has nothing to do with 22KB:4A+B though. That's just fun to do.

Now try 2B+K 8A+B. An ORB 8A+B... Followed by ORB stance!
This depends on your timing.. If you do 9A+B immediately following 2B+K, the orb will phase through them and come back to you. The reason for this is by the time your attack starts, you didn't technically have the orb, so it glitches your attack, making it shoot out the ghost orb for a SET 9A+B, then realizes you should, in fact, have the orb.
If you delay it, however, the standard ORB 9A+B will come out.

9B has a slow startup so by the time that first attack hits, you have the orb with you, causing the orb hit to function as it would normally.

9K has a different animation for the ORB/SET stances. If you don't delay it, you'll just kick them. If you delay it, you'll toss the orb.

66A+B in some cases, will cause the orb hit to whiff, however, the 66A+B.B addon will not have the ghost animation.

44A+B after a SET b+kBE will cause only the first SET unblockable to hit, even if the orb has come to you and is spinning around as it does during the ORB unblockable.

It all depends on whether or not the orb has reached you when your attack starts up.

More stuff:

2B+KBE x2 = combo and gives correct relaunch for juggle of choice. On block this is a grab / mid mixup.

2B+K 66B, brilliant tech situation for 44a.

33(B) 6AB B+KBE - good luck with this one.

Back