What do you think about magical characters in the series?

What do you think about magical characters being in Soulcalibur?

• Total voters

linkorz

Super Moderator
What are your thoughts on the magical characters in the Soulcalibur series? Should there be more? Should they remove the existing ones? Are they fine the way they are?

What are your thoughts on the magical characters in the Soulcalibur series? Should there be more? Should they remove the existing ones? Are they fine the way they are?

Algol, Z.W.E.I, & Viola are fine and Leixia has no problems against them. Leixia vs Viola is a 10-0 matchup in Leixia favor.

I mean i wont drop the series if they added more "magical" characters in SC6, but it's just a matter of personal preference. I prefer to have characters who are about as magical as Mitsurugi, Setsuka, Siegfried, Amy, Cassandra, Sophitia, Hilde, Taki, Xianghua, etc... Very minimal amount of magic if any when it comes to the style/weapon. But that's just me i guess.

I don't know why Viola, Z.W.E.I., and Algol are suddenly a problem. Even before their introduction, the series has had many fantasy elements such as humanoid lizards, reincarnating black men, vampires, towering golems with exposed beating hearts, an alternate plane of existence, ninjas with flaming bombs, poison breath, and teleportation, a reanimated suit of armor, reanimated skeletons, ghost-zombie pirates with telekinesis, teleportation, and flight, wind priestesses, owl men, and (most importantly) two magical swords which the plot of the whole series revolves around. It's not even about the game-play. It's about the mere existence of these elements within the lore. So, the idea that Viola, Z.W.E.I., and Algol are suddenly crossing the line just seems so asinine to me.

I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings, but that's how I feel.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I like SoulCalibur is that there are powerul magical forces but they are FORCES, not directly characters. Soul Calibur and Soul Edge are those forces, and most characters just use them, without being very magical themselves.

And to the topic of ZWEI, Viola and Algol
I think ZWEI is pretty cool as a character, but his fighting style? If he just used the sword without summoning EIN, I think he'd be great, but EIN honestly doesn't fit in....
Viola... I don't like Viola, I'm sorry to the fans. She just doesn't fit at all imo. The ONLY character that doesn't fit at all.
And Algol? He just has a shitload of stuff and the only really magical thing he does is teleportation, because the bubbles are just from the cannon, right? (I don't play Algol, sorry if I'm getting this wrong). I think Algol is cool and does fit. I really kinda liked him in SCIV.

i thought this cutie.jpgand
yassss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.gif
were kinda magical hehe (cause they're both elves hehe )

Attachments

• idgaf!!.jpg
    idgaf!!.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 81
One of the reasons I like SoulCalibur is that there are powerul magical forces but they are FORCES, not directly characters. Soul Calibur and Soul Edge are those forces, and most characters just use them, without being very magical themselves.

And to the topic of ZWEI
I think ZWEI is pretty cool as a character, but his fighting style? If he just used the sword without summoning EIN, I think he'd be great, but EIN honestly doesn't fit in...

Leixia vs Z.W.E.I. without E.I.N. is a 10-0 matchup in Leixia's favor because she makes a lot of his moves useless & he's very unsafe.

And to the topic of ZWEI, Viola and Algol
I think ZWEI is pretty cool as a character, but his fighting style? If he just used the sword without summoning EIN, I think he'd be great, but EIN honestly doesn't fit in....
Viola... I don't like Viola, I'm sorry to the fans. She just doesn't fit at all imo. The ONLY character that doesn't fit at all.
And Algol? He just has a shitload of stuff and the only really magical thing he does is teleportation, because the bubbles are just from the cannon, right? (I don't play Algol, sorry if I'm getting this wrong). I think Algol is cool and does fit. I really kinda liked him in SCIV.

lets get this straight ZWEI is btt, the only thing that keeps him from being Damp-tier is EIN...without him he'd be THE worst character in the game.

pls do explain how with all the other wacky shit that's happened in the SC series that just Viola is ONLY character that doesn't fit in the game.

As for Algol...teleportation? is the only magical thing he does? he can summon a knife from is forehead, jutting daggers from his elbows, arm-cannons shooting bubbles, footblades...transforming and attacking with Soul Edge and calibur as his hands, not to mention creating an ice-shield, creating a literal rib-cage...bladed wings and actually hovering....but teleportation is the ONLY magical thing he does? lol kay.

I'm cool with magic, it's the Bullshit mechanics of Orb/Bubble/Z.W.E.I. that imo break the gameplay rules that count for everybody else and bother me maximally. Mostly the ability to do two things at the same time.
You can put rainbow shooting unicorns into sc for all i care, but if i trade hits i want both characters to eat counter hit.
And not only one because the other one blocked while only it's tool attacked.

Unless of course i can throw Ninja Bombs and Caltrops that last a while for the opponent to stumble on while i jump around with Taki/Natsu.

Last edited:
I'm cool with magic, it's the Bullshit mechanics of Orb/Bubble/Z.W.E.I. that imo break the gameplay rules that count for everybody else and bother me maximally. Mostly the ability to do two things at the same time.
You can put rainbow shooting unicorns into sc for all i care, but if i trade hits i want both characters to eat counter hit.
And not only one because the other one blocked while only it's tool attacked.

Unless of course i can throw Ninja Bombs and Caltrops that last a while for the opponent to stumble on while i jump around with Taki/Natsu.
caltrops...piss off lol who do you think you are? Erron black...oh...Kappa

ZWEI is definitely worse than Damp
You reckon? At least ZWEI has guard damage and actual damage. He can kill movement with 6A and his backstep killer doesn't randomly throw himself onto the floor. Also some of his mids are actually ok (WR B, B+K, 4B). While Damp has... uh... 11B?

It's a pointless argument to have though, since neither character really suggests an ability to make viable life choices.

"Supernatural" Characters > "Magical" Characters. I never took SC for going that far into the fantasy genre. It always stayed fairly grounded with subtle spiritual sub-texts. With "Magic" I'd expect what I see in modern anime like Fate Stay or Naruto Shippuden or something, where it becomes common place for all the normal human characters to just use energy and projectiles or summoning creatures in battle and all that. I don't want the game to be filled with any summoners or that gimmicky "elemental" thing LS did if they really go that far with it. ZWEI and Viola already fall into that "summoning" archetype I really don't want.

Last edited:
Good thing the majority disagrees with you. The only reason there wasn't more special and magical attacks earlier is probably because they didn't have the technology or couldn't balance it properly. Magic fits in the game's story and its totally stupid to think that characters that have access to magic would not use it during a fight, that makes absolutely no sense at all. Also, I assure you that, while Z.W.E.I.'s moveset could be removed, Viola's surely as hell will not, its the most original one we had in the series, it added something fresh, something that no smart company would discard easily.

The game is already filled with magic and fantasy ever since the start, the main plot involves two swords with great power, not to mention the others that are involved, Aeon was turned by the gods into a lizard, Raphael and Amy are vampires, Ivy is an alchemist, Zasalamel is a constanly reviving sorcerer, Talim is an aeromancer... I mean, wind priestess and can revive people, there is no logical reason for them to not have powers. The only one that people can acceptably complain about is Aeon, because his wings and flame breath came out of nowhere for no reason, but its not like Aeon ever had any relevance in the whole plot either, so its still no big deal.

All they need to do is tie EIN, the crystal ball, and Arahabaki to the two swords and problem solved.

I don't know why Viola, Z.W.E.I., and Algol are suddenly a problem.
Well I don't know about them being a problem, but projectile-centric characters weren't really a thing in Calibur before them (except for maybe some of those dumb SC3 CaS styles). There's a reason people used to call SC "Tekken with swords." Now, "magic" is probably not the best way to articulate it given all the magical elements you listed, but floating bubbles and a wannabe JoJo stand certainly feel different from traditional Calibur characters. Even the lizardman and the teleporting zombie pirate still play by swinging around their weapons. I suppose that's why people feel the need to make a distinction between these characters and the rest of the roster.

Anyway, Viola and Zwei are just fine, I like the variety they bring to the game. One just needs a nerf and the other a buff.

Oh and of course, Algol is by far the best boss in the series.

Back