What is lacking

Ramus

[14] Master
What kinda of char we need, not style necessarily, but personality evil, good , neutral teel me (Hope is not wrong posting here)
So a femme fatale but more dark than Ivy, not evil(but if evil a bonus) but more seductive
Can t control my power kiling loved one, allys boy yas we need dramatic and more glommy chars U.U
So what you guys think?? hope is a ok thread =)

What we need is the removal of story modes from fighting games alltogether.
Give it a vs mode, a practice mode, online and maybe an arcade mode. Everything else should focus on the engine.

I disagree. I wouldn't care one bit about the characters if there were no story mode. You may as well just make them all look the same too and take away their names and just call them character A, B, C, D, etc. if we don't care about their personalities or motivations for being in the game.

If you want to play a game that has no story mode and bland, lifeless characters but perfect balance and super-deep strategy and mindgames, this is what you're looking for, not Soul Calibur.

^Why is his opinion hating? Because it doesn't match up with yours? Too much focus on 1p modes and story gives us shit like SCIII. I'm not saying story is "bad" but there shouldn't be too much focus on it.

Also, do you hear Virtua Fighter players complaining about story? VF has no story so there isn't anything to complain about, seems it's worked out better in the long run.

I agree with Heaton, in that the "story" cobbled together for most fighting games is usually terrible. I'd prefer the absence of a story to a badly written one.

What upsets me most is that it wouldn't cost them a whole lot of money to hire even one decent writer.

If it were me, I'd sell a comic alongside the game. Saves the development team the energy and investment of putting a lame story mode in, and the fans get the ongoing story they want in the comic. If you don't care about the story, you don't have to buy the comic. Everyone's happy.

Y'know. There might be something to that idea. Suppose you sold a fighting game and planned a comic series to run alongside it. Then when you're planning DLC you can unveil it in the comic before you offer it for sale.

Hmmm...

I wouldn't say the writing is bad. Patrokolos VS Elysium at the end was pretty epic for me.

Brown paper however.

I'd like a story mode just because it makes the game more interesting imo. I think that there should be a sweet personality like Talim had not like Pyrrha apologizing for everything. And a confident personality like Cassandra but not like Natsu who is aloof.

If it were me, I'd sell a comic alongside the game. Saves the development team the energy and investment of putting a lame story mode in, and the fans get the ongoing story they want in the comic. If you don't care about the story, you don't have to buy the comic. Everyone's happy.

Y'know. There might be something to that idea. Suppose you sold a fighting game and planned a comic series to run alongside it. Then when you're planning DLC you can unveil it in the comic before you offer it for sale.

Hmmm...
Then you get things like the abomination that was the Mortal Kombat cartoons and comic books. No thank you.

^Why is his opinion hating? Because it doesn't match up with yours? Too much focus on 1p modes and story gives us shit like SCIII. I'm not saying story is "bad" but there shouldn't be too much focus on it.

Also, do you hear Virtua Fighter players complaining about story? VF has no story so there isn't anything to complain about, seems it's worked out better in the long run.
In fact, most SC players jumping ship are going off to play VF5. Funny that.

I'm a competitive player, I don't give a shit about story, I care about winning. Not some emo background sideshow. If you want a good story, go and role play somewhere.

If you want a competitive fighter, then you sacrifice the Story. If you want a good story, then you don't want a competitive fighter.

The only exception to this is Mortal Kombat (more specifically speaking about MK9/UMK3).

I prefer a better fighter than a better story (or like Tekken 4/5 with the story intros/endings per character)

Then you get things like the abomination that was the Mortal Kombat cartoons and comic books. No thank you.

Well there's no excuse for bad writing however you slice it. Mortal Kombat never pretended to be a literary masterpiece. But it could work.

What kinda of char we need, not style necessarily, but personality evil, good , neutral teel me (Hope is not wrong posting here)
So a femme fatale but more dark than Ivy, not evil(but if evil a bonus) but more seductive
Can t control my power kiling loved one, allys boy yas we need dramatic and more glommy chars U.U
So what you guys think?? hope is a ok thread =)

I think what we are missing is character involvement. In this chapter of Soul Calibur it revolved too heavily on a new character named Patrokolos. Instead of keeping the classic view of every character having their own reason for going after Soul Edge/Calibur we were cut short on focusing on the character development of Patrokolos. Personally I think SCIII did the best job at a story. Each had its own ending and story to travel through, but SCIV did a decent (I say that hesitantly) job at a story.

In SCV, characters like Mitsu, Yoshi, and various others were completely left out of the story. We have no character development, the only story we get from them is little phrases they say to certain characters that suggest a relationship. For example, in a match of Zwei v. Viola, when Zwei loses he says "You're better than this" WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?? There is no background behind this statement at all. All I know is that they are friends, yet when Viola loses he says "I'm sorry Viola" nothing else...

In summary, SCV just left a ton of characters out of the story. You don't even get to play as Siegfried in the entire length of the story even though he is heavily involved. Ridiculous! Also, to anyone who thinks the story mode will get fixed... it will not be fixed until SCVI.

What we need is the removal of story modes from fighting games alltogether.
Give it a vs mode, a practice mode, online and maybe an arcade mode. Everything else should focus on the engine.

IMO SC needs a pure fighting engine focused title.
Somthing more catered to the competitive community.
Kinda like what tekken tag did and is doing again.
Where things like story, who's dead who's alive, age, similar but different styles, Timeline, and he or she or it does not belong here, won't matter.
I dont think they the should stop telling the story.
but i think a game set outside from the the story would help.

Anyone who cares a bunch about story, simply remember the horror that is SCIII. Piece of junk...

Anyone who cares a bunch about story, simply remember the horror that is SCIII. Piece of junk...
Not everybody is a "competitive" player. Most people got into Soul Calibur from the beginning and were pulled in by the story of the Characters. It's what made them interesting and fun to play. The fact that in almost 15 years of the franchise, Namco still can't get it right is ridiculous to me. And although I do consider myself to be better than average at competing, I'm am too busy and personally just uninterested in sitting a room ripe with nerd stank with 200 other guys watching other guys play Soul Calibur. It's really not that hard to have a decent Single player mode and strong mechanics. To me its almost lazy that Namco makes it an either/or thing. You can have it both ways.

^You're exaggerating tournament settings as if no one takes showers. I could go around stereotyping casual players saying all they do is flail around and not really play the game at a level I would even consider 'playing the game'. I also don't see how single player modes make a fighting game more fun. I just want to fight, not bother with gimmicks I'll have to face on X level. All single player modes are on FGs are standard versus with meaningless gimmicks added in.

The game is clearly lacking a good single player mode, namco almost did it right when they released SC4, now eh... just check the sales of the game, I truly hope this won't be the last soul calibur.

also the training mode is complicated for new players, most of my friends started to ask me "what the fuck means :A: and why is different from :(A):????????", there should be a short tutorial to show players how to play and how to move/side step vertical attacks and blah blah blah.

Back