Xbox One Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Well he was really tired and sleep deprived so he is a bit off from his usual self.

I was at work all day and missed the reveal. Sounds like it went really badly, anywhere I can go that has all the info on it?

He's got good points, but he's like... a lot more angry than he should be.

PS4 isn't doing the locking out used games right? If so, I may just not "upgrade".
No ,Sony isn't locking out used games, but it seems like M$ is locking out the ability to swap HDDs.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-hard-drive-cant-be-replaced-by-users

So you better hope nothing happens to that hard drive. Yes externals are possible, but why remove something so basic? And with every game install being mandatory, patches, the incoming apps, the GBs reserved for the OS, expect those 500 GBs to go down fast.

I don't really like PSN either but I just can't stand the used game lockout fee thing. Really kills it for me. Still I wanna see what the PS4 is gonna be like before I really make up my mind for good.

Still has Xbox live though and that's enough to buy this as my next gen system. PS network sucks and you all know it.

PSN has some issues yes, but its nowhere near enough to warrant buying this "console" over it. XBOX live isnt anywhere near good enough to overcome all of the downfalls of this ugly thing. I would strongly advise against doing this, but its you're money, not mine.

and its not as if things are unplayable on PSN - if you ask me its incredible performance for a service that is free.

Buying any closed-end system supports DRM.

not if the console doesnt support it. if you own the actual physical console, and the actual physical games, even 20 or 30 years down the road when your games dont work, and your console is all broke down, so long as the games dont support DRM, you are legally within your rights to emulate the titles and consoles that you own.

DRM basically limits the lifespan of these games to maybe, 8 years? and then we're expected to move on to whatever the new "thing" is at the time. But i know i for one, still play all my PS1 games, PS2 games, N64 games, Gamecube Games, Xbox games, all my SNES games, and i even still play the few NES games that i own still(i had to buy another NES because mine kicked the bucket, but i do still play these games) and i still own all of the physical machines as well.

i still play MS-DOS games that my dad owns on floppy, even though DOS doesnt exist anymore outside of virtual machine or emulation(though DOS is free now, through use of FREEDOS)

and i remember we even have sat down on multiple occasions playing old commadore 64 titles that we have sitting in a box downstairs.

I did an entire playthrough of Diablo1 which was made for x86 based PC's recently and put it up on youtube - thankfully that game has remained compatible with 64bit operating systems for the time being with only a few minor tweaks required to get it running perfectly. once 32bit compatibility is dropped, even though i own the physical disc, i'll have to emulate it too.

DRM destroys all of this. but buying a closed system limits you to the copy protection of the games so that you have to own the console to play it, which it should otherwise everybody would run crazy, rip all the CD's and download everything, BUT that doesnt mean that it takes away your rights as an owner of said game so that you cannot play it say, 20-30 years down the road. and i for one, dont want to own a bunch if useless plastic donuts(discs) after only about 8 years of enjoyment.

and besides that there is DRM on PC as well. look at EA's Origins, or even steam to a lesser extent. I also believe the PC version of skyrim enforces DRM, whereas the console versions do not.

certainly i suppose you could say that consoles enforce a minor form of DRM with the copy protection blocking out modded content, and yes i can understand that, its a valid point. no system is perfect. but excluding mods, even being able to play those games which we covet so dearly is what the main focus here. and sadly even when we can still play all our old games, we will lose all of our DLC because servers will be down, yatta yatta. but at least we still have the game.

eventually 20 years down the road, my PS3's and XBOX 360's will be rust buckets, but if i keep them around, i can still play my games. thanks to the help of a PC of course, but they are still my games, games i spent my hard earned money on, and i have every right to play them.

basically i guess what im trying to say here, is this isnt about PC does it better(PC does everything better), this is about flat out having the games period. if this sort of DRM type deal actually does take over consoles, how long do you think it will be before it happens to PC? luckily there are ways around it for PC users, because a PC is so very versatile, but once you get into the gray area of buying and then "cracking" games, then piracy becomes the spotlight issue. thats not something i'm going to address here.

Well, there goes the last hope for the 8th gen consoles. PC confirmed master race once again. At least the new Xbox's controller is godlike. Might have to pick one up.

honestly the PS4 controllers dont look bad either. and since PS4 is essentially a PC i imagine the controllers would probably be compatible through generic PC drivers anyways(even if its not somebody will make some like with PS3). rather than support microsofts new system by buying their controllers i'd just buy some PS4 controllers for my PC to use. i've always liked sony's dpad better anyways.

Welcome to the playstaion family guys. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

OH, SURE.

WHEN IT COMES TO SOULCALIBUR V, EVERYONE COMPLAINS THAT IT LACKS MODES AND FEATURES BECAUSE TOO MUCH FOCUS WAS SOLELY ON GAME PLAY.

THEN MICROSOFT STARTS TRYING TO PLEASE EVERYONE AND NOW YOU’RE ALL INSULTED THAT IT’S NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH.

JUST ADMIT YOU’RE ALL HIGH-MAINTENANCE NAGGING BITCHES AND ARE FAR TOO INCOMPETENT TO EVER SUGGEST OR BEGIN TO KNOW WHAT’S GOOD FOR YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back