Yoshimitsu and A+K

It seems no one has noticed that if you press A+K at the exact time your opponent does an attack it repels(cancels out) the attack. This also seems to affect any Mid moves (eg: Horizontals, Verticals and Kicks).

Someone has noticed - I'm pretty sure I've mentioned elsewhere you can CH and even clash (?!) a throw with A+K. Try it on your friendly neighborhood Astaroth.

If you have time to prep while someone is in air (Poe example of 8B+K) you can also 8B+K A+B for a better option.

You can A+K directly from 3B if you tap forward - but you don't get a soul charge for it, so it's not the best...

Some of my notes:
Anything that puts a character face-to-face in collision (that is, walking forward against another characters face) may not cause the offensive hitbox to connect. Anything that's somewhat offset is nearly guaranteed every time. A+K does a very tiny TS so this isn't really that difficult to get set up.
Characters charging forward (Poe/Pie 236, Pie 66B, Nightmare 236, Xiba's 66BBB, etc) will usually always get hit by the CH even though the attacks are certainly not mid/high horizontals (this includes throws) as long as you beat their impact frame (obviously).
Super armor overrides clash, so trying to A+K Astaroth's Bullrush BE will get you run over if the GI doesn't catch (no CH, no clash).
Moves in TC or FC still get hit by the counterhit during standing frames with timing.
Mitsurugi's MST and backstep causes all sorts of weird problems with a lot of Yoshimitsu's moves including A+K.
I don't have good luck hitting Viola or Pyrrha's unblockables as it seems I collide with the character further away than the offensive hitbox goes. It makes no sense. Same issue with 1K/MED K and iMCF. It's not really consistent, but it's not the best option, anyway.

@Crimson - I will try to get some more A+Ks down today. Thanks.

@Supa - Thanks for the heads-up, I will try to double check your findings soon and more info on how to clash a throw will be much appreciated.

Well, I love Yoshimitsu Mirror matches so I just wanted to see how A+K would work, and it works wonders.

Here they are.

Horizontals:
A(A+K)=Repel
214A(A+K)=Repel

1A(A+K)= GI and Charge
4A(A+K)= GI and Charge
8A(A+K)= GI and Charge
3A(A+K)= GI and Charge
66A(A+K)= GI and Charge
66a(A+K)A+B+K(BE)= GI and Charge
6A(A+K)= GI and Charge
33/99A(A+K)= GI and Charge
Rising A(A+K)= GI and Charge
77/44/11A(A+K)= GI and Charge

Verticals:
6B(A+K)= Parry

bA(A+K)= Repel
44bB(A+K)= Repel

11/77B(A+K)= Stun

Kicks:
6K(A+K)= GI and Charge
3K(A+K)= GI and Charge

4K(A+K)= CLASH?!

Simultaneous Press Moves:
3B+K(A+K)= Stun
6B+K(A+K)= Stun

9B+K(A+K)= GI and Charge

@Supa - Thanks for the heads-up, I will try to double check your findings soon and more info on how to clash a throw will be much appreciated.

Try this -
Normal A with Yoshimitsu, then A+K ASAP. You should completely beat the throw.
4A with Yoshimitsu, then A+K ASAP. The opponent should start a throw ASAP. Shennanigans should happen.

I wish I could record....

Wait wait...A+K trading with throws? All throws? Or just A throws? []

All throws.

A+K done at um... i17 for normal throws, right?... would break an A throw, but A+K can clash the throw itself. It's weird. You don't usually trade hits - both characters do the "blowback" animation of clashing normal hits. I don't think I've ever had it work against something like Hilde/Natsu/Ivy BE throws, but I've definitely seen it happen against Astaroth and Nightmare enough.

If you guys don't mind I'll start adding your inputs to my post to keep it all in one place.

Ill give credits.

it's like a weapon clash leaves yoshi at +5.
@Orionics : Checking in on your post.. it looks as though with most/all Clashes, Yoshi is always at +5. Very difficult to check on the GI's though would love your input on that as well!

A clash only happens if they impact on the same frame. *

Someone should spot check this:
4A should put you at -9 -> A+K is i8 ~ 17 frames if they throw immediately with normal throws being i17.

i17 vs i17 should clash every time. Update: but it doesn't.... Instead, you should see the "ball of yarn" throw effect appear but then the opponent gets counter hit. wtfcalibur

* On a side note, there's one thing I never understood about Calibur notation. In 2D fighters, you usually get a startup, active, recovery. In Calibur, everyone goes on about "impact is startup+active" but that doesn't explain how long active actually is. Are all moves in SC only offensive active for one single frame?

Hrm, so much trickier than I'd thought...must react in less than 9 frames and have it start up exactly 9 frames after throw...not having much luck in practice mode, but fortunately (a) it can escape A throws and (b) if you're slightly early you can still tap B afterward to escape B throws, I've found. []

Just 4A and as soon as you see Yoshimitsu recover from the spin hit A+K (any earlier and you'll 4AA). The spin recovery is really obvious - the opponent will be waiting for it since it's -9 and most people throw something out that's 17 or higher at noes-to-nose range which is perfect for an A+K.

A+K doesn't escape - it CHs. Doesn't matter if it's an A or B throw. It can clash, but I'm having trouble finding a very easy way to reproduce it.

* On a side note, there's one thing I never understood about Calibur notation. In 2D fighters, you usually get a startup, active, recovery. In Calibur, everyone goes on about "impact is startup+active" but that doesn't explain how long active actually is. Are all moves in SC only offensive active for one single frame?
Most are 1 or 2 active frames, I believe, but exceptions are moves like Asta's fully charged bullrush and Yoshi's 66K I think. I'm sure whether the game compensates for the later blockstun by making it shorter, but differences in when the active frames connect seem to have little impact on the game, so nobody cares about it.

<snip>differences in when the active frames connect seem to have little impact on the game, so nobody cares about it.

Pretty much exactly what you describe is how I thought it worked, but I was just personally curious. Really, if you know an attack can hit *earliest* at i16, then who cares if it's i16-18, right? Thanks for answering.

Back