Advice for a new player?

SettIsBored

[08] Mercenary
I have a lot of fighting game experience and I tend to place quite well in my local tournaments in games like SFIV, KoF13, and Blazblue, but I recently picked up SCV because some the other local players I'm friends with play it frequently and I am just horrible at it. I decided to main Hilde because I really liked her aesthetic and I just so frequently feel like I have no options when playing against characters like Algol, Natsu, or Ezio and I just end up trying to block or step repeatedly because when i try to throw things out they get snuffed. I realize this is just an awful habit but I just can't got past it.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to get better? Right now I can't even bring myself to play the game because it just makes me angry and that never helps.

Hilde takes time to learn and play. She is arguably the hardest character to learn, and she isn't exactly the best character either. I would recomend exploring more of tbe cast before commiting to Hilde because she'll be rough on people just starting. If you decide she's your characer, try getting some tips from Hussler, M16samshoking, or Appleboom. Good luck dude

I'm no stranger to learning difficult characters or characters who arn't exactly the best, hell I play Ash in KoF, so that's not my biggest problem. I think my problem mostly is getting used to the game itself and really understanding the mechanics behind everything, ya'know, the basic instincts that SC players have that are universal between characters.

I have a lot of fighting game experience and I tend to place quite well in my local tournaments in games like SFIV, KoF13, and Blazblue, but I recently picked up SCV because some the other local players I'm friends with play it frequently and I am just horrible at it. I decided to main Hilde because I really liked her aesthetic and I just so frequently feel like I have no options when playing against characters like Algol, Natsu, or Ezio and I just end up trying to block or step repeatedly because when i try to throw things out they get snuffed. I realize this is just an awful habit but I just can't got past it.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to get better? Right now I can't even bring myself to play the game because it just makes me angry and that never helps.

Learn which moves of hers interrupt well. 2a+b, that fast shoulder is a decent move for punishing and getting people off you. It's fairly quick and duck highs, just be mindful that it is punishable on block. 3k is also a decent move of hers to stop pressure, same with 2a. Also getting real familiar with 22b. That move is the starter for her combo's and best damage. Hitting someone with that a few times before they get too aggressive should either get them scared to attack or dead. 66a will be another good move for when they are coming in to get them to block.

One thing to note about 3d fighters, the frames will be way more varied than a 2d fighter. Be sure to check her frame data and start trying to understand your fast and safe moves. Hilde wasn't meant to scrap up close like Natsu, but you'll still need to knock people off you every once and awhile. Aside from that, Just Guard is another way to start dealing with pressure. Spacing with Hilde will be another option. Sidestepping, backstepping, etc, etc. Overall, Hilde has a decent spacing game.

If you play someone you can't beat. Don't run away from them. Whether they keep throwing you or are just straight up badasses. Keep fighting them.

Thanks for the advice, if anyone wants to play against me on Xbox feel free to add me, I have no problems playing against people who are very much better than me. The whole reason I got into competitive fighting games was because I ran into a player who was basically a brick wall for me once and I just ran into it until eventually I good enough to call myself a competitor.
Might be nostalgic for me, been a while since I've played against people who could just absolutely crush me while at anything except a decent size tourney.

Thanks for the advice, if anyone wants to play against me on Xbox feel free to add me, I have no problems playing against people who are very much better than me. The whole reason I got into competitive fighting games was because I ran into a player who was basically a brick wall for me once and I just ran into it until eventually I good enough to call myself a competitor.
Might be nostalgic for me, been a while since I've played against people who could just absolutely crush me while at anything except a decent size tourney.

I'll add you dude.

I'll add you dude. I'm still learning my main as well.

Back