Attacking at disadvantage

Deoxippus

[08] Mercenary
Kilik has some really powerful tools for taking advantage of negative frames. I figured it would be helpful to formally write down some set-ups that I use and hopefully get some feedback from better players. So, if I say something stupid, please point it out.

Anyway, here are the tools:
Asura: I actually find Asura not to be terribly useful for set-ups. I find Asura is better used on reaction than in set-ups. However, when you end up in throw range, 1B seems to avoid very little, so Asura can be a strong tool in its place.

1B/4B+K: 1B is unsafe and often not quit evasive enough, but the pay-off is huge. 4B+K can avoid a ton of things, but I find it is severely less effective against ranged characters, and naturally when kilik’s back is near a wall/ring edge.

WS B: Thanks to its weird backstep-like properties in addition to being a TC, it can avoid a ton of stuff at tip range. I find it works wonders after tip range 2A/2B on block and 2K/1A on hit.

Here are the set-ups: move (follow-up)
(all are on block unless stated otherwise)

2K/1A on hit (WS B/4B+K)
Both are negative on hit and leave you in FC. WS B manages to ninja evade a lot of things at tip range, but 4B+K can work better if a bit closer.

6AA (4B+K/Asura)
I find that I end up a bit too close for 1B to work.

2A (WS B/4B+K)
At tip range I find WS B avoids quite a bit, but if I’m too close, I find 4B+K works better. On hit 2A is neutral, so 4B+K can be useful if your opponent knows this and you land it at non-tip range.

WS B/WS A (1B/4B+K)
Both tend to leave you at a nice range and decent frames for either tool.

FC 3B (1B/4B+K/Asura)
At tip 1B and 4B+K work well, but I find 4B+K/Asura to work better when I get stuck in my opponents face after this. A bit off topic, but on NH I find this can be a decent FOTD set-up at non-tip range.

BB/2B (1B/4B+K/WS B)
1B/4B+K for BB, WS B/4B+K for 2B.

kB (1B/4B+K)
On both hit and block this works for me because no one I play seems to block after eating kB. The backstep built into the move provides a good bit of range to play with here, so you can backstep a ton with 4B+K.

4A+B (4B+K/1B)
I find that I need to delay this a bit while opponents confirm the extra BB isn’t coming, and because this move pushes out so much that people often have to step in before attacking.

FC A+B (?)
I never use this move, but at only -8 on block it seems like a good set-up.

6B+K (1B/4B+K/Asura)
Best at tip range. 1B/4B+K at tip/4B+K/Asura closer.

1B+K (1B/4B+K)
Only -10 on block and neutral on hit and should leave you at decent range.

4B+K (1B/4B+K)
Not sure how viable this is, but it’s fun and seems to work for me. If you fail a set-up go straight into another.

A+K (1B/4B+K)
-5 on block and good push-out.

22A (1B/4B+K)
Delay a bit since your opponent will likely wait for B_A to come out. Only -6 on block.

44A(A) (1B/4B+K/WS B)
-9/-8 and good range. If not doing the second A, it helps to delay the 1B/4B+K. After the second A, you end in FC, so use WS B or 4B+K.

66B hit or block (1b/4B+K)
-10 on block and just enough range to get away with it. It’s also worth noting that 66B is -2 on hit, although no one ever seems to attack after eating it.

236A (1B/4B+K/Asura)
Only -6 on block. If done at tip range 1B/4B+K and 4B+K/Asura if not.

After eating a poke (1B/4B+K)
After eating a mid poke while in FC at tip WSB range (WS B/4B+K)

Reactions: HRD
I already use all of this stuff Ty

you forgot 66B blocked into another 66B that shit wins matches

also FC A+B is GIable iirc so the second hit probably wont ever get blocked same with A+K

iirc 4B+K is unsafe so against characters like algol raph or maxi with decent range on their 2Bs you wont get away with another one
EDIT: I just checked 4B+K is apparently -12 god that shit is dumb

I already use all of this stuff Ty

you forgot 66B blocked into another 66B that shit wins matches

also FC A+B is GIable iirc so the second hit probably wont ever get blocked same with A+K

iirc 4B+K is unsafe so against characters like algol raph or maxi with decent range on their 2Bs you wont get away with another one
EDIT: I just checked 4B+K is apparently -12 god that shit is dumb

66B is -10 on block so 66B, 66B is effectively like i25. I do it don't get me wrong, but I try not to lol.

Really? If you throw out A+K like once a set will the second hit really get GI'ed? I have never seen it happen, but then again, I play no one good. lol

Can I delete this thread?

It has all my secrets :(

If you just take the end of the first post and change it a little to:

Whenever you're at -2~-5 (1B/4B+K)
After eating a mid poke while in FC at tip WSB range (WS B/4B+K)
When people are getting careless, replace 1B/4B+K with Asura.

Kilik in a nutshell IMO.

Who needs to range and space when you can just 2A someone and do 1B/4B+K/Asura until they just block. Then you can run forward and FotD. Win.

Back