back against the edge

MuffinMan123

[10] Knight
what are some ways to trick opponent so that your 1A+B and 22B will connect? obviously you don't want your back against the edge, but both you and your opponent will always try to set up in position so that either one of you will feel the ring out pressure. some characters have ways to reverse ring out while the others don't.

xiba have 2 moves that can ring out to his back when he's back against the edge, but both 1A+B and 22B are both slow as hell and you need to put your opponent into guess mode before you can do these 2 moves. what do you usually do to connect these 2 moves when you are back against the edge?

You pray to god. Often enough you don't want to do either of these and just play normally. If they start spamming 2A or swift moves that can ring out, just work your way out and keep going. If the start spamming fast highs for some reason than 22B but that's rare and hard to do.

The issue is both of these are punishable, so like Alpha Pat can just wait for you to do either, block on reaction and then UMBRELLA your ass out.

I agree with animefreak, I don't feel like a 1A+B or 22B are a good choice for anything other than a last-ditch effort to turn things around when you're being pushed to the edge of the stage. However, in an effort to answer your question, I have found some luck using 77*11B. It hits low so if they're not ready you'll get a pot-shot in, and it can easily be followed by the 1A+B to attempt the ring out you're looking for. Furthermore, if all else fails, at least you've moved a little bit away from the edge in doing so. Hope this helps!

So, since I made my reply about a week ago, I have decided to fool around with techniques that involve being near the edges of a map. This is not necessarily exclusive to back-to-the-edge situations. I have found playing near edges on certain maps can actually be very good for Xiba and I have proven almost my entire previous post wrong. I'd like to share my findings with you.

First I'll go over situations that involve having your back to the edge. A very simple way to put some distance between you and your opponent is to use 1B. Normally for defensive gameplay and keeping distance, 1B does a low far-reaching attack that pushes an enemy away a little bit if they are too close. It won't force you over the edge so it works, but it also normally takes a step backwards during the attack so you may end up about as close to the edge as you can get. The benefit, though, is that you've bought yourself some time to get away from said edge while also getting a pot shot off for a little damage.

Another good method is to use the 22*88B as suggested in the original post. This will launch the opponent very high into the air and also right over your head. While they are on their way down, a well-timed low or mid level kick will give them the push they need for a quick ring out and a win for you. If you think that you're actually too far away from the edge or simply unable to get that kick in, this is easy to follow up with B while facing away to butt-slap him 3-4 times for heavy damage. It won't get you the quick win but at least you've made the most of the situation by both dealing good damage as well as turning the tables on who's near the edge. I have found that attacks like this also may convince the opponent that they're about to be rung-out and they neglect the next few seconds of the fight thinking they have already lost.

The last method of back-to-edge I am going to mention is also probably the most dangerous of the ways I have found. It is high-risk/high-reward as it does involve some trickery, baiting, and delicately executed kick attacks. If you can go for some repeated 2K's, hopefully you can induce a low-block from your opponent. As soon as this happens, coming straight out of the low stance you should be in (aka While Rising) a K will do a mid-level upward attack that will launch your opponent into the air. This works because the low-block is vulnerable to a mid level attack. YOU SHOULD BE AWARE that this attack also has another KK to add to it, which results in more upward kicks. This is a huge risk because Xiba does a flashy jump backwards (very far and high) which almost always guarantees ringing yourself out. DO NOT USE MORE THAN ONE K WHILE RISING to prevent from this happening. Upon correct execution, You will have successfully launched your opponent into about a mid-level air, also pushing him back a ways as well as Xiba will take a step or two forward. This is a perfect opportunity to side step to safety.

Now for the fun stuff: Having your opponent with his/her back to the edge and you on the inside. I'll start by playing off that same (While Rising) KKK(BE) attack that xiba has. This works very well and can do great great damage by tacking on a Brave Edge to it. It can also ring out your opponent if they are very close to the edge for a quick win. (This attack is also very good for punishing an aggressive player by getting good damage in while also putting distance between you and him/her. This is viable at any point in the game, so don't limit yourself to just ring-edge scenarios with this attack)

My favorite way that I have found to get a ring out is Xiba's low attack, 33AA(BE). This will do some decent damage, push back your opponent, and also knock them airborn to about a mid-level. The final blow with the launch airborn is good for getting your opponent to flip right over the edge of a ring. Be warned, this attack only has 2 low hits if you don't use the BE at the end and will not launch your opponent. I recommend saving this attack for when you have the energy to use the BE at the end, otherwise just avoid it entirely.

It was strange to write this post as it almost completely disagrees with everything I said a week ago. But it became relatively amazing for me to find that Xiba, in a ring-edge situation, has some decent tools that allow him to make something out of nothing. I hope this helped. Cheers!

Tucker

Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been playing since SCIII. I was a kilik player and continued with Xiba on SCV. I don't want to be offensive or anything but I don't like the advice that has been posted so far. IMO MuffinMan has got the right idea. 1A+B and 22/88B are two of Xiba's most powerful tools and should NOT be overlooked. Yes they aren't the fastest but if you use them right you get a ring out!! Who cares about damage when you can slap your opponent into the water. am i right?

So in SCIV, Kilik had the exact same 1A+B. IDK about you guys but as soon as I learned about this move, I would run to the back of the stage and have the npc enter my reverse ring out zone, only so I could 1A+B as soon as the chance arised and lol as I croch lifted them into the water. The problem with this is, when you fight real people, of course they know about this strategy and do everything they can to prevent themselves from being croch lifted.

SCV kept the 1A+B and added another reverse ring out. AND o.O ZOMG it's a MID. Do you realize what this means?!??! Now when the fools attempt to shield their bawls from being slapped outside the arena you can 22/88b them instead. Mind games my friends. Do it.

So yeah yeah yeah we all know this. What buttons do I press? I'm getting there . First you have to realize that your opponent is not an idiot. As much as we like to believe it. Most likely they are going to have their own strategies to knock you out before you reverse RO them. That's why you need analyze your situation and play somewhat defensively if your opponent keeps spamming their uber noob sauce easy to do RO moves.

That being said, 22/88b is tech crouching side step. Need I explain more? Do it when your predict a vertical or high swinging horizontal. I'm telling you this move will piss people off if you use it at the right time. Imagine an opponent beating you mercilessly towards the edge and advancing on you when out of nowhere, *boop 22b I win. Lols ensue. Be careful though because its range is short and it's punishable like animefreak said. The last thing you want when you are near an edge is a whiff or guarded attack. If you do whiff or get guarded, it would be wise to switch back to a defensive play style. Remember; 22/88b is defensive. Following up a whiffed or blocked 22/88b with another 22/88b might not be a bad idea. Usually you're going to get punished.

So bottom line for 22/88b is: use it when your opponent is going for a vertical, high horizontal or when they are going to crouch. There's a lot of ways to trick an opponent into doing these things. Here's a couple of mine.

2k and 22/88k - 22/88b
Both of these are lows and hard to punish. They are also at the perfect distance to follow up with 22/88b. If you can predict SS's and respond with 22/88k or 2k when you think they are going in for a vertical. Eventually they will get annoyed and crouch guard. 22/88b when you think they are going to crouch guard.

With 1A+B you want the opponent to side step or standing guard. U can also pull it off if you catch them in ukemi. Trick people into guarding by making use of 6b, 2a, and 3kB. Get your opponent used to being punished with these after a successful block. When they are used to these attacks after you guard an attack, they will start to respond by standing guard or side stepping. That's when you throw out a 1A+B to punish them instead.

To sum up
G or crouch G an attack and respond with one of the following: 6b, 2a, 3kB, 3b
Get the opponent used to seeing a mid vertical after a successful Guard.
Now after a successful block respond with 1A+B

Get opponents to crouch guard with 2k's and 22/88k's; predict and 22/88b

Last tip. once your opponent is used to the 2k to 22/88b combo. You can switch it up with 2k, 2k, 22/88, 1A+B combination

The same goes for the guarding then 1A+B trick. If you connect the 1A+B after a successful guard enough times, the opponent is going to start crouch guarding instead of standing guard. Thats another oppurtunity to use 22/88b

Ok I'm tired now. Go team Xiba!

Some more tips with 22/88b.

Don't automatically 22/88b then BT B+K. While this combo gives you the best amount of damage, it doesn't maximize push range when you are going for the ring out.

Try messing around with these combos and get a feel for how far you can push that 22/88b for a reverse ring out.

22/88b ~ BT k ~ 6B+K
22/88b ~ BT k ~ bb
22/88b ~ BT k ~ aak
22/88b ~ 2g ~ WR kk (Alternatively, 22/88b ~ 2g ~ WR k will launch opponents over walls, while WR kk does not)
22/88b ~ g ~ 3b k k

Back