Best Vader opener?

3B+K and 4B are usually fast enough to beat out anything the opponent would do attack-wise. These moves are extremely linear though, so watch for sidesteps and don't start out the round like this too often.

I think 4A+B is worth using from time to time as well. It doesn't do damage, but I believe it can catch people who backstep at round start.

My opinion the best way to start almost any match is step G. Vader 3B is good for me. 66A+K or 66A are surprisingly long ranged and can cut step pretty well.
Ps: Don't listen to me for 1. I don't paly Vader 2. I suck.

I un-deleted this thread. It's not spam or wasting space, and has potential for good strat talk.

I mainly like to open the match with stepping back or to the side, and then looking for an opening.

Otherwise I find 4A+B to be a really good starter, which will beat the majority of what the opponent tries to do if they start off offensively as well.

Sometimes people expect this and try to GI (it would make more sense to step right? lol), and when I expect them to do this I start with his A+B UB, which can lead into 4A+B, 4A+B, 44B, 1BA or any other variation for high damage right at the start of the match.

Sometimes people start stepping or 8wr'ing right at the start, in that case I tend to go for 11_77AB to catch them on CH.

Off topic: I'm an official Vader mod now! ^_^

What i do if people step back is 66A+K then rush in for some quick hits and if they try and rush in i tend to use 4b that tends to work for me. If they have a character who uses long range moves like asta i tend to take some steps back to avoid getting hit from a distance

Be careful of how you back step say against Asta.. you'll be open to thing such as his 66+A and most good Asta's will see the hit confirm ch and get the follow up b in the string into wakes/more damage for him.

I also like to start the match with 3B, it also conditions players to sidestep the next round. That way I can do the 33_99 A+K to catch them stepping.

Darklinkfan,

I can only assume this would be something done online tactics wise..not really something that can used in competitive manor or any likely hood of offline play..which is this games soul base of competitive play..and I'm also guessing you mean 66A+K..only because you posted 6A+K which doesn't existed as an active move for Vader...

Its obviously your very 1st(and only) post..I'll be kind to share and say try to share your strategies/play/thought's from an offline point if possible..also as a tip, if you start off with 3B+K/1A+B like you mention,.. and they know it they can always step/punish you for some free damage depending on the range and the characters range the naturally have :)

3B+K usually works on impatient opponents who try to make the first move. It's actually my favorite opener for the seesaw stage, because it guarantees a RO right from the start of the match, as long as you're full on Force.

3B+K, step left_right, 4A+B~A+B, step left_right, 4A+B~A+B, step_jump back, 4A+B~6A+B = RO. :)

True..however,

on a serious note a "smart" player usually wont get hit by it and know of his range and some(on seesaw stage)of its high damage/ring out capabilities ...and i love this move myself but truthfully this gets stepped punished/blocked more often if starting out in front in the round with it, though on occasion it can hit the occasionally average player...it IS in fact however highly flash based...but it still drains ALL of the force meter no matter what..u R crazy I tell ya!!.. j/k ..oh and forgot to mention grats at the SC4/BD tourney!

A list I say!!! ORDER, ORDER!!!
Darkside Openings, passed down through over 300 millenia:
stops rushdown - 4B/ 3B+K/ 2B
stops backstep - 4A+B/ 66A+K
stops sidestep - 66*33*99A+K/ 11AB/ Rush~Throw*Rush~[G]
baiting opponents - 25*85[G]/ 45[G]/ a+b[G]/ 1a+b[G]/ K+G[G]
whiff punish openings - 3B+K/ A+B/ 1A+B/ 33B+K/ 88B/ 44B/ 11B

hmmm, i would say his best opener(as long as you have very good character knowledge and have good instincts against your opponent(s)) i'd have to say rush down or rush down/throw option, just run in and throw yourself in there face and see what they got/do....

Probably the best thing going for him especially with the tools he has to work with along with a great ability to step a ton of shit fairly easy...other than that, i agree with Zombie on most, though his step killers are probably the 2nd best openers for him, if your just diddling around with him and just creating more space between your opponent, you wont get diddly squat done with Vader, mid to very close range is best here, imo.

Yes it's slow but I find if you take a step back first then do it, it usually catches them doing a step move or the range catches them trying to bait you into an opening for them.

If I was trying to bait my opponent, I wouldn't step into neutral - I'd step guard, as would anybody with common sense. It's a good move for closing distance, but it's definitely not a good opener.
Btw, Oof your an ass - my Siegfried is STILL crying from the beatdown you gave me. >.<
GGs anyway though.

Back