Escaping Throws requires precise timing

BarkeyForeman

[08] Mercenary
I mentioned the topic a bit here.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/does-tap...hrow-work-for-escaping-for-anyone-here.18141/

But I wish to talk about it because for years my throw game was the WEAKEST as far as Soul Calibur is concerned (other fighting games such as Dead or Alive is a whole other story).

Even following the instructions manual to escape throws, I was still surprised for years I would still be grabbed and hit. In fact I remember one time practising a session with another human player (or was it me? the memories are blurry) in which only one type of throw would be executed. Despite pressing button to escape (A against A+G and B against B+G) I got thrown enough times that it seems pure luck to escape.

I gave up on tapping A or B to escape throws years ago.

But like in that thread I linked during practise not only did I discover a possible methoed to escape throws for sure without guess work but with the A+B method I observed that whether I escape throws depends on when I time it during the animation. I am such a noob I still can't tell exactly when to tap A or B (well in my case A+B) but I noticed a tnendency if I tap the button by the time you see the arms are on you its too late. But if your reflexes are enough to tap just precisely at the moment when your opponent touches your (or even before!) I was able to escape an efficient number of time.

There is still far more to precisely when you have to tap it (because there were a few times I tap escapes with A+B exactly just right when the enemy's hands touches you but I was unable to escape) but now after learning about the required precision and timing combined with the new A+B escape method I discovered, I made a jump from escaping >25% of throws to around 50% of throws.

I know its a silly thread for long time gamers but I'm not the only player who gave up on bothering to escape throws because they don't seem to work even if you pressed the correct button. Saw this on the SC3 arcade one time to the point one player was getting frustrated and slam the machine and went away. Coming players also got frustrated and stopped tappin gescapes by the time they put in more than $5.

I practised the same thing with a sibling years ago except this time I did the throws and it was this sibling's practise to try to learn how to escape throws and sibling was trustrated of being unable to escape despite pressing the button at what seems like the exact moment the throws begin (this is what convinced me to stop bother trying to escape throws and just let the animation commence).

Can long time vets give input? Specifically I have to ask why when the opponent just touched me (as in their hands just touched you and their arms haven't even stretch out to initiate the animation) I am able to escape but at other times I still get caught in a throw. Do I have to press escapes before they touch me rather than at the exact moment their hands touch? Or do I have to be even more precise and quicker in timing when the hands finally touch?

I do it on reaction. Sometimes I'm like, "fuck! I let him grab me" then I tap the button and still break it. lol

I buffer either A or B when I hold G to escape some throws. Doing this prevents JG though, but it's a good technique for the general players I guess

I buffer either A or B when I hold G to escape some throws. Doing this prevents JG though, but it's a good technique for the general players I guess

It's not a just frame or a difficult timing. Just mash either A or B when you see the throw coming. Or if you're playing SC2, GI. These two videos should help you out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL11A8FECECB7C2030&v=6SEQhl1u3wU

I also have to add quickly tap the alternate escape throw instantly if the first one fails upon the enemy's hand touching you. See my recent response to your quote in my other thread for more details.

But GIing is just RIDICULOUSLY HARD to do against throws. Especially if the opponent is so close his body frame is literally touching your body at which its near impossible to GI throws .Though I seen the practise dummy do it when I approach it at this range when it is set to only GI-must literally reading your input and reacting the instant the button is pressed. At close range literally you are so damn close a human player cannot react in time to execute a GI command. You can't even see enough of the opponents arm at that range because his hands are being blocked by your body.

If you tap 2G the moment the grab turns into a hitbox, you will not only evade the grab but you'll also have time to counter attack.

Keep in mind that throws can only be done at close range. When they're close in range, watch out for throws. Better yet, throw them first!

Do you use a controller? On my PS3 controller I switch between mashing L1 and L2 (Left Bumper/Trigger for 360) depending on the person. If they keep using the same grab, then you'll keep breaking it. It's best to mash at least one so you have a 50/50 Chance of breaking the grab.

Ultimately, the more you play and encounter grabs, the better you'll get and the faster you see it coming. Honestly, you would be doing yourself a huge service to find players who grab excessively and practice.

They're a few ways of getting around grabs.

For beaking grabs which have a 50/50 shot of working and give you shave damage you mash either A or B or A and B when you're guarding to get around grabs. Choosing to break A or B is for when you can predict them but if you're against someone too good at predicting it might be a good ideas to press A and B. A bit of warning, don't mash A and B or it will go to A because A comes before B in the SCV alphabet (which it is G A B K) so you wanna press them back and forth, and make sure you don't have a pattern on what one you choose first.

For completely getting around grabs you can duck which can be risky. They're are things to watch out for when to do this. And for a list of things to watch out for.

1. You know how you can see throws? Use that to you're advantage. Pic you see your opponent near you doing nothing, not even blocking, then think if you're opponent is trying to fake you out or not.

2. If your opponent does nothing and glows, brave edged or hand starts to glow, duck. This takes a while to master, I haven't bothered to master because I play online.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back