FotD set-ups: Help Please

Deoxippus

[08] Mercenary
I have been using the following set-ups for FotD, but they seem lacking (or perhaps they just feel that way because I drop the throw too much). Either way, I wanted to write down set-ups I use and have seen others use and see if perhaps I'm missing something.

2A on NH: This seems to be the most common set-up for it that I see. It's neutral on hit and closes distance. I believe it is best used just within tip range so that when you finish you will be at tip throw range. Recently, my friend has been shutting this set-up down with aggression. What can you mix this up with? WS B at this range is slow and doesn't seem to evade much. WS K is beat by 2A's and trades with some BB's. 4B+K can beat alot of these out. That makes the mix-up FotD, WS B_K, 4B+K, which is 2/3 in your opponents favor (if they chooses between 2A and block low).

236K on block: Same as 2A on hit. I find it works best if you can get your opponent to fear 66B. Again though, I fear it can be all but beat by 2A's.

66K: This one I find to work very well. Mix FotD and K_KB on block or hit. The only draw back is that 66K is slow and steppable, and the K_KB option is rather lack-luster.

Step in 66B, 4A+B, FotD mix-up: I feel like this is the most solid way of landing FotD aggressively. It's less gimmicky and more of a legit mix-up. However, I feel like when I go for this, I do so too often and ruin my spacing game. Additionally, I drop the throw out of this more often than the others (I've heard others say the same).

Block: Recognizing when you're at advantage and in your opponents face seems to be the best and most reliable way to pull it off. Unfortunately, I miss far too many of these opportunities thanks to slow reactions.

FC 3B and 66B on NH: Same as above.

236A on hit: Good for surprise ring-outs, but I almost never go for it.

That is all I have. Please tell me if I missed any, or if I got something wrong.

You'd want to add to your list:
-Delayed FotD (Mind game between 236 A and Fotd)
-Fotd from Full Crouch when your opponent is expecting a WS B
-iFotd after a sidestep (surprisingly efficient)

I also like throwing a iFotd after some A_B_K cancel or 44aB~G.

Anyway, you should take a look at some older threads cause I'm sure Hayate, S-U, Aheda and some others already covered that subject.

Recently, my friend has been shutting this set-up down with aggression. What can you mix this up with? WS B at this range is slow and doesn't seem to evade much. WS K is beat by 2A's and trades with some BB's. 4B+K can beat alot of these out. That makes the mix-up FotD, WS B_K, 4B+K, which is 2/3 in your opponents favor (if they chooses between 2A and block low).
Don't forget to just block/step/delay in order not to become too predictable in your gameplay. Kilik has so many strong evasive moves that some players tend to overuse them. Same story with 66B.
EDIT: Hayate and Saunic posted a lot of kilik set-ups (especially on Asura) on the french forum if you're interested but it might be difficult to understand ^^ That's old stuff but worth the reading :
-Fotd Set-ups
-Defensive Set-ups

I hate the delayed FotD/MO A mix-up. MO A feels unbearably slow, and if your in range for it, I feel like you could just go for iFotD or a better mid.

iFotD from FC is beast and I can't believe I forgot about it lol. Only thing is you already have to be in range for FotD, which tends to be the part I have trouble with.

From sidestep is nice and I've seen it used, but when other than for a ring out would you use it after stepping something over step A+B?

A and K canceling are both highs, and faking a high into a throw seems silly. B canceling is nice, but I never find an opportunity for it.

44aB cancel seeams iffy. Would you really want to fake 44aB in throw range? I have all but stopped using 44aB cancels since SC3 when aA was actually good -.-

Don't forget to just block/step/delay in order not to become too predictable in your gameplay. Kilik has so many strong evasive moves that some players tend to overuse them. Same story with 66B.
EDIT: Hayate and Saunic posted a lot of kilik set-ups (especially on Asura) on the french forum if you're interested but it might be difficult to understand ^^ That's old stuff but worth the reading :
-Fotd Set-ups
-Defensive Set-ups

I'm not sure what you meant by this. When was I talking about 66B as an evasive move? I believe this was reffering to what I said about close 2A on hit?

My high school french education is by far not enough for those pages lol.

6a into Fotd works for me sometimes but i suggest getting the iFotd down by itself without any setup like a regular throw. most of these setups wont work on a good player offline as they'll have plenty of time to see your intentions and interupt. also start using the delayed version. its a real bitch to guess between MO A and dFotd throws as the timing is the same. practice holding 4 while blocking and buffer in the 41236 motion. with some practice you'll be able to excute the throw after blocking without any setup.

Maverick is right, use it as any other throw; and a harder one to break on top of that.

I'm not sure what you meant by this. When was I talking about 66B as an evasive move? I believe this was reffering to what I said about close 2A on hit?
Ups, my bad, I didn't made myself clear. I just meant that 66B was very linear and shouldn't be overused like Kilik's evasive moves.

I hate the delayed FotD/MO A mix-up. MO A feels unbearably slow, and if your in range for it, I feel like you could just go for iFotD or a better mid.
Mavericks already pointed it out but you have no idea how many players fall for this one. On a side note MO 2_8B+K can find itself very useful in some situations.
From sidestep is nice and I've seen it used, but when other than for a ring out would you use it after stepping something over step A+B?
Of course on whiff punish go for the A+B or 22B 3kB for the RO. Trying a Fotd after a simple step while your opponent is freezing/guarding is very rewarding.

A and K canceling are both highs, and faking a high into a throw seems silly. B canceling is nice, but I never find an opportunity for it.
44aB cancel seeams iffy. Would you really want to fake 44aB in throw range? I have all but stopped using 44aB cancels since SC3 when aA was actually good -.-
I noticed that a lot of players can be confused by these cancels (The K one is amazing), some are ducking (iWS B), others are stay still (throw), etc... The point is to force them to make a defensive choice by faking an attack, even if they shouldn't. I would advise you to watch how Malek is using taunts cancels with Ivy and you might get better what I'm trying to say.

Back