General Setsuka Gameplay Discussion

weshookhands

[13] Hero
Fellow Setsukans™,

a month in, I would like to start a gameplay/gameplan-centered discussion about how you deal with certain situations. Maybe we can exchange advice or contribute to upcoming patches by systematically collecting shortcomings.

For one, I'm a bit sad about how steppable Setsuka is this time around. Verticals have become stricter generally in order to eliminate vertizontals, sure, but I noticed that most other characters don't seem to be as affected by this. I find myself thinking "okay, just step all the time, you'll be fine" in match-ups against her. Her horizontal options seem rather limited, too.

I don't think I've found one vertical that has tracking properties, or am I mistaken? SC4 had FC3B:B, which came in handy. Now, its use seems limited to combos and sometimes catching backstep (unless whiffing in both cases).

Also, I experience a lot of other whiffing (4BB, 2A, 8B+KB) and regularly missed EASY inputs (8B+KB is not triggered like 50% of the time, same with 8B+KK). I hope this will be addressed in the next patch.

Above that, I think that some hitboxes need adjustment. Like umbrella is an extremely strict vertical now which does not seem to make the slightest sense visually. I'm okay with just enhancing JF umbrella's hitbox or something (same for FC B:B's tracking).

What do you think? Any hints of advice or similar experiences?

Last edited:
I think she relies more on 1K > stance 50/50 and turtling, lots of turtling.

She ain't as aggro as before with 33B and all her knockdowns like 1A series, 11K and 1B don't knockdown anymore.

At least her damage is still good but yes, she is very steppable this time and needs a different approach.

Wintry Reflection = Great from WoH Mixups
Moonlight Reflection = 44B+K with great range
Vernal Reflection = Trash, because it just buffs JFU
Normals versions of Setsuka's JFs are Too EZ & Too Strong with the same frame advantage as the JFs
3B+K & 6A+B are OP because they consume very little to almost no meter
The JFs just give 1/4 meter for a single combo

Back