~In Father's Name!~ Universal Siegfried Training Guide!

Slayer_X64

Siegfried SA Moderator
Welcome to the universal siegfried training guide "In Father's Name!" in this guide, we'll break down the essential tools required for both use and mastery of siegfried, directed at rookie, intermediate and advanced level players alike.

So firstly you may be thinking, what kind of character is siegfried? What's his deal? What is he all about? well...

Siegfried is a high risk high reward mixup based character who centers around counter hit fishing, and forcing both SG and damage mixups from stance, and can set these situations up well off knockdowns. he's moderately strong at punishment, and is extremely versatile, having a large variety of tools that each fit a niche for a certain situation.

he is an extremely technical character to use and to fight, perhaps one of the most complex characters in the game. not only does he have 5 stances (including neutral) that each fill their own roles for certain situations, he also has different, varying fighting styles and abilities at different ranges. It is perhaps because of this that every siegfried player has their own unique, very distinctive "flare" if you will, that no two players will ever play the same, even if they train within close proximity to eachother and are at relatively the same skill level.

to keep things basic for now, we'll sum up all of siegfrieds stances at the different ranges of play, and the general situations they'd be used for/in:

Close Range - this range is anywhere from point blank, to the very tip of siegfried's grab range ( which is actually rather long)

Neutral Stance:

Neutral stance up close is rather complicated. the siegfried player tends to rely heavily on pokes and interrupts, dealing raw CH damage (excluding 3B obviously) generally isnt the main concern here. its keeping the opponent under control, dealing with the opponents pressure tools, and simultaneously inflicting a rather strong amount of pressure by combining your safe poking game with a grab/mid style mixup to inflict alot of damage in a hurry. the goal is to get in, deal your heavy damage, and get out to avoid mixups and pressure, which can usually be done with the assistance of both KND's and SSH. generally, the best place to be in close range is near the tip of your grab range, so that A) you have an easier time getting out, and B) you havean easier time avoiding the dangerous mixups of characters such as amy. while crossing into mid range, you are also able to bait your opponents attacks using spacing tools for good whiff punishment. however keep in mind, at this range, it is absolutely essential that you stay mobile, for your main source of damage here , and the best way to deter your opponents pressure game is whiff punishment. Beware of using stance shenanigans at this range, as it will usually lead u into a world of hurt.

• SSH - this is your magical baiting/escaping tool. it is almost vital for adjusting your range back into mid/long range.
  • SRSH - the stances mixups are at their strongest at this range, but the risk is also at its highest. set up properly, you can rack up the damage in a hurry. used incorrectly, or if you guess wrong, you will find yourself in a world of hurt.
  • SBH - mostly only combo's and forced block are useful here, though you'll rarely find some very interesting uses for its TC and aGI, especially at disadvantage.
  • SCH - not so great here. its SG damage and combo damage, but thats it. using it for any other purpose will lead to a world of hurt.
Mid Range -
More to come! this guide will continue to be updated through out the week. next up: Mid range and long range styles. learning your staple's - hit confirming 3B, and learning how to use it properly!

My thoughts, not organized :/
1K's tip range = grab's range. Also grabbing has more chances of vacuuming rivals when they are backpedaling because most character's body collision boxes gets bigger while they backpedal.

From my experiences, having a rival close to me happens when THEY get close. If at the begging of each round Sig lands any poke at tip range of b6, 2A etc, Sig is already winning by timer clock. Its easier for Sig to fish-out CHits when the rival HAVE to close in because they are losing by timer, even if the a match has barely started, backpedaling with Sig when having more HP is a key to open-up rivals into CHits.

Staying far also reduces the rival's side stepping length, increasing chances of hitting with Verticals.
Sig's agA & b6 are quick & long, good for often use, but I've found somewhat useful to hold back these to make my rivals unaware of the speed & range, then surprise them dead.

Range play with stance roulette. Each of the 4 stances has their own movement length, & from each into other also has their own movement length. I use the stages floor to measure movement's length.
4B+K from RSH has more back movement than from neutral, SCH, SBH.
2_8B+K from SSH has more side movement & more forward movement than from neutral, SCH, SBH, RSH.
B+K from SSH has more forward movement than from neutral, SCH, RSH.
I'd figure these out & it has help a lot my tip range play to CHit, because rivals unawareness (even offline) to Sig range, specially with SBH'A.

RSH'4B+K Dodge & Counter/punish. Guarded 4A]~RSH & 88B]~RSH at tip range gives enough pushback for Sig to 4B+K & punish or CHit with SSH'K, or backpedal with SSH'A+B.

SSH'B juggle setup. If after hitting the rival with SCH'A]~SSH at tip range, the rival keeps attacking, SSH'B will CHit launch for my favorite SBH'K] 4hit combo follow up.

Guarded 7B at tip range gives enough pushback for Sig 4B+K.

1K is Sig's 2A as in "to stop" rivals at close range, but better because is Low, very likely to hit often with because of rival's awareness of Sig's 3B. On Normal Hit 1K -adv, but this makes it easier for Sig time GI even JI.

At close range GIing is worth the risk.

Often using B+K helps. Whether at close or far distance, every B+K is an invitation-a challenge to the rival to do Verticals. Sitting down in SBH then dodging a Vertical with 2_8B+K then punish is most rewarding & epic. Maybe not by damage, but it makes rivals to think twice about how to approach Sig while in SBH, & sometimes gives an opening to CHit with SBH'A, so then the rival is force to choose fast, then Sig can dodge/counter again & loops the mixup. BUT... keep in mind that Sig's SBH has a (programmed fucked-up) gap of frames were the GI goes off then turns on again. Its like a joke played on Sig players heheh, NAAAMCOOO!!! >_<

Guarded SCH'B at close range is -adv but good for GI. Guarded at tip range is good for 4B+K.

236B Earth Dive is great to punish awful whiff from rivals (which are not rare), or stuffs like Yoshi's drunken dance lol.

44K is good to CHit Mitsu's 8A+B, & other jumps from rival into RO from around the center of some stages. LOL
If a Sig player lures a rival to jump, 44K is the answer!

In general everything with Sig is subjective to the rival's character & play-style actions/reactions with it. More than a personal, is very important to learn who is that you are dealing with & react appropriately. With Sig, is not just about taking some risks just because the character's frames dictates it, but more about cutting through the odds!

To confirm CHits, watch the red flash & listen to the sound.

To confirm CHits, watch the red flash & listen to the sound.

I never actually learned to hit confirm with the flash - I work through the sound myself. I found it was a good way to train your reactions to certain stimuli in training mode:
Set counter setting to random: 3(B)
NH: 3(B) SCH KK
CH 3(B) SCHA+B
Now close your eyes and do it correctly 50 times in a row - I did this daily for a month and I still train it once a week, which really helped, though I still have a tendency to panic and just guess if I'm being severly pressured in tournament play sadly. =/

thats the way i do it synraii, except by a combination of visual and sound cues. probably why i can hit confirm it online XD GRR!!! i cant believe you beat me to posting the secret ways of 3B!!!

I did the same back in SC3, but in SC4 I'd just trained myself while online or vs CPU. I wanted my SC4 experience to be as "arcade" as possible, so I exposed myself to losing a lot to learn without going to training mode, just like I would if it was an arcade. I merely used training mode in SC4 to confirm & rehearse some things about range collision & "step-meaty", & SG damage in SC4. To me SC4 is the same as SC3 & SC1, so I just didn't do much training mode.

All I do now in SC4, I'd learned raw during battles. I'd trained myself to pay more & extra attention to my rival's actions & reactions. Also, the CPU in SC4 is not that bad. It worked well to train my confirm & react game, guarding lows constantly, jumping appropriately, GIing on time, etc.

I can see the red flash clearly (tho I play in a prehistoric small TV :P) & listen to the sound just as well. I also watch the character's feet, I'm not sure why, but it helps a lot to do so. Like for example in SC5: whenever I see Ivy's right feet smoothly stepping forward, my mind goes "G2!!!!" :P

I'll do the same in SC5, more fighting than training for me. I'm cool with losing, as long as I learn from it. n_n

Back